Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SynthOrange posted:

Vision.

Squirrel Girl.

Patsy Walker.

All New Wolverine, Black Widow, Mockingbird, Ultimates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Basically the ANAD rebranding ended up being neither new nor different (outside of the actually brand-new lines, obviously) considering pretty much every creative team going into SW came out the other side virtually unchanged. Very few books or lines ended (and the ones that did ended in good spots), and with very few exceptions - basically like, New Avengers is the most notable one I can think of - most lines didn't even acknowledge that SW happened. Which, to me, is great - I loved SW, but I also loved the place virtually every comic I read before SW happened was in, and pretty much all lines resumed uninterrupted beyond another #1. The two most notable continued lines with total and complete dynamic changes are ANAD Avengers and New Avengers, both for obvious reasons and that Hickman left both books. ANAD Avengers is basically pure old-school Avengers Avengers-ing (and it's really good), and New Avengers is pretty loving awesome with a great cast

So basically you can pick up any line you dropped pre-SW that you liked and be fairly confident that it's still just as good as before. If you're looking for what people consider the best you're looking at Vision/USG/Howard the Duck/Silk/Spider-Woman/Ultimates/Black Panther/Ms. Marvel. I find Captain America: Sam Wilson to be really good, and Gwenpool is off to a promising start. Hellcat! AKA Patsy Walker has also been great.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Thor has been, and continues to be good.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
In addition to everyone else's recommendations, Gwenpool and Black Panther are pretty early into their runs but are pretty good, A-Force, and New Avengers are good but suffer from weaker early issues. A-Force basically got good as of the last issue (new artist is amazing), and New Avengers as of issue 7 because I'm not a fan of Bagley's art. These series aren't bad before the points I mention, and I wouldn't recommend skipping ahead, but if you're not fond of the art, it gets better.

Also, X-Men '92 if you're into books that are cartoony as hell. I love it but it's worth mentioning it's cartoony.

Also, Deadpool but a) the first few issues I'm not fond of, it only gets real good starting on issue 8, and b) you may need to read a bit of the last Deadpool series; issues 8 through 19 specifically.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

New Avengers has Al Ewing and basically the most underrated and underutilized cast of weirdos to collectively get the mantle in...a long loving time, so it's worth getting for that alone. Like we're talking an NA that has Hawkguy as its most famous member, and even early on (where if you don't like the art) it's worth reading just because you're seeing a bunch of people who don't usually make the Avengers cut doin' Avengers stuff, and that's awesome. Also, Standoff severely changed the stakes of NA, and in a way that's super duper exciting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been hearing and seeing that everything that's not an X-book is great.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lurdiak posted:

X-men 92 is fun.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lurdiak posted:

The x-thread are a bunch of grumpy whiners. All-new and extraordinary are good and Uncanny is ok.

I like the team and setup for Uncanny and the writing is good, it's just lackluster art.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It actually might be easier to list books that people don't enjoy, yeah.

So far on my reading list that's pretty much solely Spider-Gwen, which is less bad and more "extremely frustrating". The SHIELD books are sorta hit or miss, what with Agents being just like...there, I guess, and Howling Commandos apparently sucking (but it was cancelled anyways so who cares). People tell me Uncanny Avengers sucks.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's far from the truth. The team X-Books are a bit weak right now but X-Men '92, Old Man Logan, All New Wolverine, and Deadpool are all good. Uncanny X-Men has found an artist more unreadable than Land, but if it could maybe find one artist I could look at for 20+ pages it'd be good. Extraordinary needs a new artist too and a plot that isn't time travel or Weirdworld. All New just needs to figure out why it exists and pick a story to tell.

And if you want bad non-X-books, we got Agents of SHIELD, Starlord, Drax, Carnage, Web Warriors, International Iron Man (I'd argue Invincible Iron Man as well), and that's just books that haven't been canceled.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Uncanny Avengers does not suck. The only ones I've tried that I think aren't worth the time to read are Spider-Gwen, Angela Queen of Hel, Drax, Guardians of Infinity, Hercules, Silver Surfer, and Rocket and Groot. And then there are others I never even tried like Squirrel Girl, Uncanny X-Men, or Carnage and ones I know other people like but weren't for me like Ms Marvel and X-Men 92.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Invincible Iron Man was great for like 5 issues until they switched artists and the second arc is kinda boring. I think it's just spinning wheels waiting for Civil War 2.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Spider-Gwen and Ms Marvel feel like they've lost their grooves in ANAD. They're not "ban this sick filth" bad but if you want to talk about books that dropped in quality between Marvel Now and ANAD, those two dropped harder than the X-Men line has I feel.

E:

JoshTheStampede posted:

Invincible Iron Man was great for like 5 issues until they switched artists and the second arc is kinda boring. I think it's just spinning wheels waiting for Civil War 2.

Yeah that's fair. It started out strong and actually got me to read an Iron Man book for more than an issue.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ms Marvel is great as always and Spider-Gwen has always been mediocre, it was just briefly not in Spider-Women until it sunk back to explaining how wild n' crazy different earth-65 is.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Extraordinary X-men has Moon Knight in it, if that helps.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
How could you not love the Kamala-golems storyline in Ms. Marvel :doom:

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

This for sure but how can you guys not mention how awesome the new Moon Knight is? Holy poo poo, two issues in and I'm hooked.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

JoshTheStampede posted:

The x-thread are a bunch of grumpy whiners. All-new and extraordinary are good and Uncanny is ok.

I like the team and setup for Uncanny and the writing is good, it's just lackluster art.

Don't listen to this man, the only good X-men book is Wolverine and 92 if you have a lot of nostalgia for the cartoon.

Everything else is just terrible.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

No, he's right, y'all are some stringent grumps.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Doesn't make me wrong tho.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you need a reason to pick up the X-Statix omnibus, it contains three of the rare few issues that Darwyn Cooke ever drew for Marvel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

EASY PEASY

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Old Man Logan is pretty good.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Doctor Strange, Old Man Logan, and Power Man/Iron-Fist have all been enjoyable and are ones I would recommend checking out. As said, Deadpool is still good, but it's basically just a continuation of the previous volume.

I've read some other stuff like Captain Marvel, Totally Awesome Hulk, and both Iron Mans. They're all fine, but nothing I would go out of my way to pick up. Weird World, on the other hand, has been pretty disappointing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am terrible in that I tend to buy characters rather than anything else, so I will pick up otherwise lackluster books because its the only one featuring that character, like right now Magik is only in Extraordinary X-men, so I'll keep buying that.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Toxxupation posted:

Ms Marvel is great as always and Spider-Gwen has always been mediocre, it was just briefly not in Spider-Women until it sunk back to explaining how wild n' crazy different earth-65 is.

I know it's all been under a single writer who created the character but man does it feel like the writer doesn't get what made people like the idea in the first place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't the post-SW arc about Ms Marvel vs gentrification? That sounds more like you didn't get why the character was popular, because that sounds like EXACTLY what the people most hype about her would be into.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The gentrification arc of Ms. Marvel was really, really good. Some of the best stuff the series has ever done.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 15, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't the post-SW arc about Ms Marvel vs gentrification? That sounds more like you didn't get why the character was popular, because that sounds like EXACTLY what the people most hype about her would be into.

I think he's talking about Spider-Gwen.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm talking about the disappointment that is Spider-Gwen not the actual good book Ms. Marvel.

I figured I didn't have to clarify because common who doesn't like Ms Marvel?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ms Marvel is fine in other books, but I could never really get into her main title. I mean, I get why people like it, but it's not for me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SirDan3k posted:

I know it's all been under a single writer who created the character but man does it feel like the writer doesn't get what made people like the idea in the first place.

Don't you want to know how people in Earth-65 are the opposite of how they normally are in 616? Isn't that wild n' crazy??? Silk is...a bad guy!!! Also she's the same age as her 616 counterpart even though that makes no logical loving sense! Also here's her incredibly complicated backstory that nobody actually gives a poo poo about!

I'm possibly the hugest Silk fan on this forum and when reading 65-Silk explaining how she's Original the Hedgehog Do Not Steal, even I rolled my eyes at that. Latour really just can't stop himself from making Spider-Gwen into basically a mini-Ultimate universe, with all the weird dumb goofy problems that result when the comic goes on and on about how it's the same...but slightly different, and readers can't pick that up with context clues, so we gotta pause the story for expo-dumps about characters we don't loving give the slightest gently caress about.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 15, 2016

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I only read Volume 0 of Spider-Gwen, what happened to cause a dive in quality?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The character was never really very interesting, she just has the coolest new costume that got really popular really fast.

Which is fine, it's legitimately an awesome costume that sells hoodies, but she's no more clever or interesting than any other What If character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

RealFoxy posted:

I only read Volume 0 of Spider-Gwen, what happened to cause a dive in quality?

See above. Latour keeps on bringing in various members of the MU but ends up making them different or inverted in some way, down to a black female Captain America (which is an awesome concept) that the comic basically pauses itself to explain her whole backstory, which is virtually exactly the same as regular Captain America's except just different enough to require it being told, I guess?

It feels like weird fanfiction of the 616 and often Gwen feels crowded out in the book that has her loving name on it because Latour keeps on writing either the exact opposite backstories for pre-established characters (Frank Castle doesn't watch his family die, so now he's a Captain in the NYPD and a total prick! Matt Murdock is Kingpin's lawyer and a total scumbag! Bullseye works for SHIELD!) or the same backstory but slightly different (again, Captain America's is "Steve is about to die from the super-soldier project until this anonymous black lady saves him, oh and then she's sent to the Savage Land for 75 years so that's why she's time displaced"). It's just confused, it doesn't get what the appeal of the comic is - Gwen and her struggles. Spider-Man, but a woman is an inherently compelling high-concept and works on its own, but instead Latour keeps on trying to wedge in other people, with their overcomplicated backstories, for no real reason.

Also the comic really likes to poo poo on original incarnations of heroes. Matt Murdock's a slimy rear end in a top hat (although to be fair, he's probably the best supporting character in the comic because he's actually vague and mysterious so he hasn't explained his motivations or backstory yet), and Peter Parker is posthumously turned into the most pathetic, creepy, possessive, whiny prick ever. Because it's not enough that he's dead, and at his own hand, and that he was an unwitting supervillain, he's gotta be a whiny Nice Guy too. Steve Rogers, again, gets turned into a pathetic wimp.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That kind of owns?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spider-Gwen is cool and good in Web Warriors. And she would be in her book too if her book was a bit more about her.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

My problem with Spider Gwen is that they have this amazing concept of Spider Man being the drummer in a band but in the entire run they haven't had anything even approaching Spider-Punk's five page intro in spider verse.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

The character was never really very interesting

She's super fascinating. Instead of being driven by redemption, she's driven by regret, because unlike Peter she did the right thing and failed anyways. Her defining relationship with her father is inherently different than Peter's with his aunt, and most interestingly of all she's the only one. Over time the 616 now has a whole stable of Spider-People, but Spider-Gwen is the only one in her universe with her powers, and she's fully aware of how utterly alone she is. The best parts of Spider-Women highlight her severe depression she's struggling with, because she knows there's this happy awesome universe mere inches away chock-full of people who can relate to her, but she's defined as being dead there so can't ever stay. You just don't ever get any of that because the comic constantly pulls away from Gwen to focus on somebody else. Again, it feels like Latour trying desperately to Ultimate-ize Spider-Gwen (maybe from editorial mandate considering how well the Ultimate universe did and mine as well try again) and the story and by extension her character suffers.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That kind of owns?

If it was executed better, it might have been. Instead it reads as a dude going "What if Superman was a killer" except with the whole Marvel universe. It's just weird pointless changes just to make them.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the only interesting 616 flipped version in Spider-Gwen was Frank Castle. If they'd just limited it to him and not try to drag in all kinds of other versions of characters it would have been just fine. I don't need an universe 65 version of Captain America in the Spider-Gwen story I'd rather read about pretty much any of the already existing supporting characters in the book that were already around at that point.

• Locked thread