Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

axleblaze posted:

Cloud Atlas was more than enough Wachowski scifi to keep me from getting curious again for the rest of my life.

Sense8 owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Cloud Atlas is great because it was hugely ambitious and fresh. It's awful because of some really tone-deaf ethnicity portrayals with awful makeup and some passages that are bafflingly poorly written. It's something I tremendously enjoyed watching but I doubt I'll ever do so again.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Basebf555 posted:

The weird future speak in the Tom Hanks sections is definitely the most common complaint about the movie. Most people hate those scenes.

Man I love those scenes. I could listen to Tom Hanks talk about the true-true all day

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tom Hanks is the only part of that movie I like. It's hard not to like Tom Hanks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The future-future sections of the book are almost completely unreadable. Almost as bad as the old-English sections. I was very happy I read that book on my kindle with the built-in dictionary.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tom Hanks is the only part of that movie I like. It's hard not to like Tom Hanks.

He's an unhatable for sure (See: Shaq, The Rock)

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Parachute posted:

He's an unhatable for sure (See: Shaq, The Rock)

I hate Shaq because he stole a TV show idea from a teammate and is generally an oversensitive baby. The Rock, though, is too good for our world.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What are some Vin Diesel movies I could watch on streaming? I've seen Pitch Black

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Point break

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Accident Underwater posted:

I hate Shaq because he stole a TV show idea from a teammate and is generally an oversensitive baby. The Rock, though, is too good for our world.

It really is a shame he chose to be Black Adam instead of Shazam, although I see why he did it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just finished up season 1 of Vinyl and it was sort of a mess.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

A MIRACLE posted:

What are some Vin Diesel movies I could watch on streaming? I've seen Pitch Black
Anything that's got scifi or fantasy elements, because those are the projects he loves. The Last Witch Hunter came out recently, I don't think it's on streaming yet and it's terribad good. Definitely watch the rest of the Riddick movies, although the one with the Necromorphs was kinda bad. Guardians of the Galaxy, The Iron Giant, Knockaround Guys, Strays, Boiler Room, Find Me Guilty..

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

A MIRACLE posted:

If you have HBO streaming you can watch one of the Fast and Furious movies. XXX is on Netflix if you want the most Generic Vin Diesel Action Film possible.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

If you have HBO streaming you can watch one of the Fast and Furious movies. XXX is on Netflix if you want the most Generic Vin Diesel Action Film possible.
He's really fun in anything where he can act like a guido criminal or something, his generic action stuff is - generic. I skipped over Fast and Furious for a reason, although the first one is definitely worth a watch.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
How's the 1960s Lord of the Flies? Hulu Plus is pimping it right now and I thought I might check it out

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How's the 1960s Lord of the Flies? Hulu Plus is pimping it right now and I thought I might check it out

It's amazing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

XXX is the best action movie since Con-Air.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Hmm I just watched 30 for 30: This Magic Moment and I changed my mind about Shaq again. It's entertaining, as just about every 30 for 30 is.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

coyo7e posted:

Anything that's got scifi or fantasy elements, because those are the projects he loves. The Last Witch Hunter came out recently, I don't think it's on streaming yet and it's terribad good. Definitely watch the rest of the Riddick movies, although the one with the Necromorphs was kinda bad. Guardians of the Galaxy, The Iron Giant, Knockaround Guys, Strays, Boiler Room, Find Me Guilty..

So you just suggest movies, regardless if they're on streaming or not?

OP - You can find Riddick on HBO GO if you have it. Otherwise the Dieselverse is rather lacking streaming wise at this point.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Both Pitch Black sequels are well worth a watch, I reckon Chronicles of Riddick is seriously underrated. Fast Five is the pick of the Furious series imo.
If you prefer Vin as a bit of background flavour, you can't go far wrong with Guardians of the Galaxy and Saving Private Ryan.

These are all on Netflix (with a bit of gentle region manipulation).

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

outy posted:

These are all on Netflix (with a bit of gentle region manipulation).

What still works for that? My VPN doesn't deliver foreign Netflix anymore.

And if you haven't seen Chronicles of Riddick, get the director's cut. It fleshes out the story a lot more. I actually genuinely like the movie and don't understand the hate it gets. It's an original IP with enjoyable performances and epic scale.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Smartflix has a 7-day free trial. It's a pretty great little program, I'm tempted to drop the $40 for a year's subscription.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Knockaround Guys is on Amazon now.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tom Hanks performance in A League of Their Own is amazing. I sometimes forget how funny he is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's also easily Madonna's best performance, not that that's saying much.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

And if you haven't seen Chronicles of Riddick, get the director's cut. It fleshes out the story a lot more. I actually genuinely like the movie and don't understand the hate it gets. It's an original IP with enjoyable performances and epic scale.

I was using Overplay SmartDNS, Netflix started disrupting them a bit so I swapped to ViperDNS. Under $2 a month, and it's just a DNS swap so no bandwidth issues. Instant region switching via their website.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

K. Waste posted:

watch Eisenstein in Guanajuato

Uhhhhh... is this streaming though?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Yaws posted:

Tom Hanks performance in A League of Their Own is amazing. I sometimes forget how funny he is.

I watched The Burbs a few days ago and he does some really funny physical comedy in that movie.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I cannot remember the name of a documentary. It was about a guy making a four star Michelin restaurant.

The climax of the doc was the nyt food reviewer loving the restaurant.

Halp

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just watched The Money Pit again last week. More great Hanks comedy in that one.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

FizFashizzle posted:

I cannot remember the name of a documentary. It was about a guy making a four star Michelin restaurant.

Halp

a matter of taste: paul liebrandt about his two-star michelin restaurant corton

it only goes up to 3

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FizFashizzle posted:

Halp

Ratatouille.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ya ur thinking of Ratatouille

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CountFosco posted:

Uhhhhh... is this streaming though?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just watched The Money Pit again last week. More great Hanks comedy in that one.

I was torn between this or The Burbs. Gonna do the Money Pit tomorrow night I think, loving hilarious movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So you just suggest movies, regardless if they're on streaming or not?

OP - You can find Riddick on HBO GO if you have it. Otherwise the Dieselverse is rather lacking streaming wise at this point.
Yeah, it's easier to throw out the good ones' titles than look at all the available myriad services and tell you which are available where.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ok Fella posted:

I was torn between this or The Burbs. Gonna do the Money Pit tomorrow night I think, loving hilarious movie.

The Burbs is in my top 10 favorite movies of all time. The Money Pit was also funny, but I haven't watched it more than a couple times.

Of course I'm also the weird one who thoroughly enjoyed Joe vs. the Volcano so I'm clearly insane.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's criminal that Netflix doesn't have any Aronofsky.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Everyone should watch xXx for the absolute worst kiss-acting ever put to film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outy
Aug 27, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

It's criminal that Netflix doesn't have any Aronofsky.

Again, that's region specific. Pi, Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler and Noah are all on Netflix.