Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I just decided to pull the plug and buy Cities after sinking in probably over 100 hours in a possibly legal copy of the game. Outside of the OP, has anyone posted a list of good mods since Snowfall that're worth installing? I'm mostly looking for stuff that expands upon the vanilla mechanics and new city themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
those of you who have gone insane manually placing hedges and fences with the more beautification mod will soon have an automated alternative:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683304621

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
bit of progress (i knocked a lot of stuff down)

new opera house i built

nice railway junction with former alignment

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some little pedestrian walk ways over the track around some of the cut-off neighbourhoods would probably make the local residents really happy and make their walks/bike trips a lot more direct.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Some little pedestrian walk ways over the track around some of the cut-off neighbourhoods would probably make the local residents really happy and make their walks/bike trips a lot more direct.

i might put one or two in but i feel they should experience at least some of the irritation i've have had when forced to circumnavigate rail junctions and lines in south london

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I'm trying to figure out how to make decent mountain backdrops:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Kumaton posted:

I just decided to pull the plug and buy Cities after sinking in probably over 100 hours in a possibly legal copy of the game. Outside of the OP, has anyone posted a list of good mods since Snowfall that're worth installing? I'm mostly looking for stuff that expands upon the vanilla mechanics and new city themes.

Try my modlist?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706710&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=294#post459185414

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
This should be of interest to this thread. I was just stuck in the Newark one and I might have to see if I can recreate it once I tear myself away from Stellaris.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koesj posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to make decent mountain backdrops:

I'm trying to figure out which generic medium-city in a flyover state this is but there's ocean in the background!
Also I JUST got back into skylines when stellaris came out. I'm so pumped that RICO automatically adapts to realistic pop/conumption mod because now I want to make a huge rico city. Oddly enough only you and some russian dudes seem to be doing anything with rico. You make huge office blocks, the russian guy makes soviet apartments. None of the big superstars have turned any of their stupid 20mb office buildings rico, no one's made any massive 10x10 industrial buildings. Where my huge tank farms? Where my generic flat roofed warehouses? Where my huge complex tangle of pipe refineries?

Someone made a couple huge grain elevators that are rico agricultural buildings, that's nice at least. But I thought once rico was out and mainstream it would result in a huge wave of new content and fixed-up old content. No longer does anyone have to downscale "growables" to 4x4, it's totally solves the lot-size problem.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Yeah I'm gonna try my hand at making some modular factories like this one: https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...2!4d-86.8752869 and some more modern ones too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chenghiz posted:

Yeah I'm gonna try my hand at making some modular factories like this one: https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...2!4d-86.8752869 and some more modern ones too.

Exactly, I want to be able to zoom way out on the map and still very obviously see where a city's industrial areas are. It's clearly the area with the huge huge massive flat buildings.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

This is excellent, thanks!

I do have another question, though. For some reason, the district paintbrush is, like, twice the size it was before Snowfall. Is there a keyboard button I'm missing to shrink it? I think I've tried +/- already.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Dumb question: I don't suppose a mod exists that just, say, quadruples office jobs? I'm not into the overhaul mods, I'm mostly fine with the vanilla experience, but it's annoying how a big 3x3 building provides like 6 or 8 jobs and you have to create massive swaths of office.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dumb question: I don't suppose a mod exists that just, say, quadruples office jobs? I'm not into the overhaul mods, I'm mostly fine with the vanilla experience, but it's annoying how a big 3x3 building provides like 6 or 8 jobs and you have to create massive swaths of office.

There is the one that set everything to realistic amounts of jobs and families. But that might mess up your city when you load it while rearranging everyone. It will turn the 3-8 family homes into 1-2 family homes, high rises will have quite a few more, office will have a lot more, and so on.

This one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Kumaton posted:

This is excellent, thanks!

I do have another question, though. For some reason, the district paintbrush is, like, twice the size it was before Snowfall. Is there a keyboard button I'm missing to shrink it? I think I've tried +/- already.

There's three sizes in bottom left of screen above the name of your city.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can do what I do and edit them all yourself :suicide:

As a somewhat related note, my Soviet dystopia has failed, and is now me making a pretty city with only small commie blocks. I'm kind of sad. But I did spend a billion hours making a Red Light district! Editing other people's assets like Strip Club Unique building -> University. It's bright as gently caress and it makes my game lag so bad if it's night. But I love it :swoon:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Oddly enough only you and some russian dudes seem to be doing anything with rico. You make huge office blocks, the russian guy makes soviet apartments. None of the big superstars have turned any of their stupid 20mb office buildings rico, no one's made any massive 10x10 industrial buildings. Where my huge tank farms? Where my generic flat roofed warehouses? Where my huge complex tangle of pipe refineries?

Someone made a couple huge grain elevators that are rico agricultural buildings, that's nice at least. But I thought once rico was out and mainstream it would result in a huge wave of new content and fixed-up old content. No longer does anyone have to downscale "growables" to 4x4, it's totally solves the lot-size problem.

IIRC this is the most complete RICO-compatible collection right now. It includes some pretty awesome commercial stuff by Svenpotsdam and KingLeno - who just posted some new apartments as well!

Still there's indeed too high a number of commieblocks and unoptimized towers out there, compared to industry at least.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Koesj posted:

IIRC this is the most complete RICO-compatible collection right now. It includes some pretty awesome commercial stuff by Svenpotsdam and KingLeno - who just posted some new apartments as well!

Still there's indeed too high a number of commieblocks and unoptimized towers out there, compared to industry at least.

Svenpotsdam has some nice assets especially for people who are trying to make their cities look more European and (more specifically) more German, which works really quite well with the "totally-not-Berlin"-Berlin stock European theme.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

had a go at a mini la defense style office district today

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Looking really good! That has got to be my favorite train station and it works really well there.

Well I got somewhere with making a generic factory module. I'm working on the normal map right now - seems really difficult to get it looking alright (using AwesomeBump). The LOD is also complete garbage right now and I'm gonna get rid of the steam props - they make it too obvious that it's a repeated asset.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
There's no way to make that sort of thing growable, right? I find all the cities posted in this thread amazing but I really don't want to painstakingly place each building, and I like the zoning mechanics.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Boformer's working on a larger than 4x4 growables mod, but it's slow-going and a whole new class of assets (or at least reuploads) would be needed.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Larger growables would be nice but I don't think hand-placing bigger assets is that bad of a compromise. When you get much larger than 10 squares on a side, you kinda need to make a purpose-built place to put something anyway.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to have fun with this game. I have made a few cities but I keep turning them into crappy suburbs of industry towns and devoting all my time to micromanaging budgets and unhappy people

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

blue squares posted:

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to have fun with this game. I have made a few cities but I keep turning them into crappy suburbs of industry towns and devoting all my time to micromanaging budgets and unhappy people

Don't be shy when it comes to enabling the unlimited money mod that comes with the game. I started having more fun when I did that, not caring how grotesquely inefficient my sprawling interchanges were, buying up all the space, laying down roads and not getting too miffed when dead people clogged up the entire city. In a future game, I might turn it off but on the first big one I did, I just wanted to gently caress around.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Alternatively, try starting out with the "everything unlocked" mod. Not only can you build highways and other things right away if you want, but it works by giving you all the achievements, so as a side effect you start with something like $715,000.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Both good ideas. Thanks.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Can anyone explain to me how to get an asset to have its short side to a road? I have a 6x10 factory and I want the 6 cell side facing the road, but by default C:SL makes the 10-cell side face the road, no matter how I rotate the model before exporting it.

I figured out that I can rotate the model in the import dialog ingame, which works, but doesn't seem to affect the LOD model, so the high-detail model is correct but the LOD is oriented differently...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh cool let me grab some neat highway barriers to plop with prop anarchy.
5mb highway barrier
6mb highway fence
3mb concrete fill tile

What... what is wrong with these people? What is wrong with most skylines modelers??

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Doing something takes some time.

Doing it efficiently takes way more time, and the results are usually under-appreciated and overlooked by the audience.

Also that overhead I keep on mentioning... It's probably not that excessive, but even on tiny assets it can bloat it unnecessarily.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Chenghiz posted:

Can anyone explain to me how to get an asset to have its short side to a road? I have a 6x10 factory and I want the 6 cell side facing the road, but by default C:SL makes the 10-cell side face the road, no matter how I rotate the model before exporting it.

I figured out that I can rotate the model in the import dialog ingame, which works, but doesn't seem to affect the LOD model, so the high-detail model is correct but the LOD is oriented differently...

Ok I just needed to apply the rotation transformation I applied very early on, apparently. No more in-game rotation needed.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Oh cool let me grab some neat highway barriers to plop with prop anarchy.
5mb highway barrier
6mb highway fence
3mb concrete fill tile

What... what is wrong with these people? What is wrong with most skylines modelers??

use this instead

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683304621

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

blue squares posted:

i-want-to-break-free.wav

Like other said, unlimited money and full unlocks might very well liberate you aesthetically.

Here's what my newly half-baked city looks right now. This is with me having spent an hour on a new map, a day on its roads, and way too much time per block to make it look good over the weekend:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Dunno-Lars posted:

There is the one that set everything to realistic amounts of jobs and families. But that might mess up your city when you load it while rearranging everyone. It will turn the 3-8 family homes into 1-2 family homes, high rises will have quite a few more, office will have a lot more, and so on.

This one:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=426163185

I tried using this yesterday, and while I like the idea in principle, this seems to make the early game really rather annoying. I always found that one needs quite a lot of low-density residential before one even unlocks high-density residential, which makes early layout and planning somewhat difficult, but with only 1-2 families per house I was massively in the red just trying to provide basic services (electricity, water, school, clinic, fire and police departments slightly later), not even attempting full-coverage, neighbourhood parks etc. Is it worth sticking with it as a mod until one (somehow?) manages to accumulate enough people to unlock tower blocks?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Why not play with the money + unlocks 'cheat' and try to reach a self-imposed fiscal equilibrium state somewhere around mid-game? The financial aspect of the game is wildly unrealistic and doesn't play well with balancing mods.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hollow Talk posted:

I tried using this yesterday, and while I like the idea in principle, this seems to make the early game really rather annoying. I always found that one needs quite a lot of low-density residential before one even unlocks high-density residential, which makes early layout and planning somewhat difficult, but with only 1-2 families per house I was massively in the red just trying to provide basic services (electricity, water, school, clinic, fire and police departments slightly later), not even attempting full-coverage, neighbourhood parks etc. Is it worth sticking with it as a mod until one (somehow?) manages to accumulate enough people to unlock tower blocks?

Yeah, don't play with progression. Unlock everything from the start, infinate money. The challenge is to make your city's traffic function, everyone happy, your budget being positive, and most importantly your city looking good.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The game is much more fun with everything unlocked. The progression is good for a new player I guess so they don't get overwhelmed but once you know how everything works, go hog wild.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
hurrr I don't think these freeways are ever going to fill up, cims like the thoroughfares too much:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Playing real-life terrain can be fun as heck, too. I'm currently destroying a 1/3 scale block of the Bay area (I didn't scale elevation down though so Marin is hilariously mountainous and even the peninsula is pretty craggy)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

my attempt at a uni campus:

overview looking north

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Really like that city.

Also I bought the stupid winter DLC just for trams yet haven't been using them because they get stuck in traffic just like buses. The way CO made roads a a set-in-stone sort of thing rather than more dynamic like their previous games was a huge mistake. Instead of having a million variations of what's essentially the same road, we should have like 3 sizes of "road" to put down, and then determine how many lanes, bus lanes, tram lanes, trees, grass, bike lanes, that sort of thing.

I have a mod that finally adds small 4 lane roads and a few other missing sizes, but none of them really take into account trams. Is there any mod out there that adds a 2-lane sized road with a dedicated tram right of way? It seems like the only roads with dedicated tram or bus lanes are the huge multi-lane roads that I never use.

I'd kill for:
2 lane road with trees and bike lanes
2 lane (sized) road with tram lanes
2 lane (sized) road with tram tracks, service vehicle only, trees, bike lanes.
2 lane (sized) ped and service only road with bike lanes.

They seem like glaring missing items.