Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's actually really unreliable, always locked up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's actually really unreliable, always locked up

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blue Train posted:

yea but its a killer

:lol:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:prepop:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

drat i just watched a crime documentary on Reiser and he's a total psycho

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

PleasureKevin posted:

linux_user.txt

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

what, that he murdered his wife wasn't enough?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
poor microsoft. but seriously, what is with this pity-based advertising.

http://www.recode.net/2016/5/10/11645510/microsoft-retail-stores-empty

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

they've still got a long way to go to catch this guy

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Fututor Magnus posted:

poor microsoft. but seriously, what is with this pity-based advertising.

http://www.recode.net/2016/5/10/11645510/microsoft-retail-stores-empty

"We really think of ourselves as the physical manifestation of brand," she said.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Lysidas posted:

"We really think of ourselves as the physical manifestation of brand," she said.

she said while making GBS threads herself

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

ADINSX posted:

Yeah Reiser was ruthless about reducing his team's headcount

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

what, that he murdered his wife wasn't enough?

it's the way he tried to blame her afterward. like saying she was a gold-digger and poo poo. which is crazy, cause he wanted her to stay home and raise the kids, but she wanted to keep working as a doctor. also she married a guy who could have sold his tech for millions, but open sourced it and ran the company himself.

then he says she got pregnant to force him into a relationship. except he also says she was willing to terminate the pregnancy if he didn't want to be a father. so how the gently caress does that work. oh, then they had another kid.

he went on TV and bad mouthed a dead lady in the dumbest ways possible

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
one of last month's patches that will prepare wsus servers for encrypted patches broke wsus

they made three blog posts about it, and maybe it's fixed now? :iiam:

but check this out:

quote:

What KB3159706 does
Windows 10 feature updates (denoted by the “Upgrades” classification in WSUS) are staged in encrypted packages to Windows Update several days prior to the actual go-live date. This is to ensure that we can release to all regions simultaneously. The Windows 10 client has been able to decrypt these packages since RTM; however, WSUS was not able to do this. Until now, we have been manually decrypting these packages prior to releasing to the WSUS channel, the process of which is both time consuming and error prone. KB3159706 introduces this functionality to WSUS for Windows Server 2012/R2, such that it can now natively decrypt this content. Skipping this KB means not being able to distribute the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or any subsequent feature update, via these platforms. Note that Windows Server 2016 will have this functionality at RTM.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

PleasureKevin posted:

it's the way he tried to blame her afterward. like saying she was a gold-digger and poo poo. which is crazy, cause he wanted her to stay home and raise the kids, but she wanted to keep working as a doctor. also she married a guy who could have sold his tech for millions, but open sourced it and ran the company himself.

then he says she got pregnant to force him into a relationship. except he also says she was willing to terminate the pregnancy if he didn't want to be a father. so how the gently caress does that work. oh, then they had another kid.

he went on TV and bad mouthed a dead lady in the dumbest ways possible

yeah if he had just stuck to murdering her itd be fine

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
also kb3145126 is killing windows dns good jorb michaelsoft

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

anthonypants posted:

also kb3145126 is killing windows dns good jorb michaelsoft

Important If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update.

wtf does a language pack have to do with dns

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Important If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update.

So ip config returns "passerelle par défaut" or whatever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Blue Train posted:

i think that's just boilerplate for every windows patch

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

nobody reimages workstations in situ, they just show up wtih a new one and reimage yours on their own time

sorry about your internet favourites and the puppy on your desktop now get back to work

Microsoft will offer windows as a service. just connect via remote desktop inside of mine craft 2020, included with office 365. if there are any problems you call tech support and they kill the session. when the hardware stops working you recycle it. ads everywhere

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lampey posted:

Microsoft will offer windows as a service. just connect via remote desktop inside of mine craft 2020, included with office 365. if there are any problems you call tech support and they kill the session. when the hardware stops working you recycle it. ads everywhere

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone tell me if come july 2016 they will end this free upgrade bullshit, and my win 7 install will be left alone.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

max4me posted:

Can anyone tell me if come july 2016 they will end this free upgrade bullshit, and my win 7 install will be left alone.
it will never end, you should block the windows update kbs instead

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

max4me posted:

they will prompt you to upgrade, but will then charge you $110 to get access to your computer

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it'll run through the win 10 install process then ask for your credit card at the end

if you decline then it'll take several hours as it restores windows 7 only to start the same process again a week later

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

it'll run through the win 10 install process then ask for your credit card at the end

if you decline then it'll take several hours as it restores windows 7 only to fail completely, leaving your computer unbootable

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

max4me posted:

they'll start charging but they're so desperate to get people on Windows 10 they'll do stuff like $10 Tuesdays and $5 Fridays.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I think they actually said they're turning off the upgrade nagware when it goes paid upgrade.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Phoenixan posted:

if you decline then it'll take several hours as it restores windows 7 only to start the same process again a week later

it'll be a weekly reminder to buy a Mac to replace the legacy personally computer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mod sassinator posted:

I think they actually said they're turning off the upgrade nagware when it goes paid upgrade.
it sure is a good thing they haven't turned around on anything they've said during this whole process

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

if you decline then it'll take several hours as it restores windows 7 only to fail completely, leaving your computer unbootable

its this one

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/microsoft-leader-former-amazon-director-charged-in-prostitution-sting/281281333

Charges have been filed against additional men – including a director from Microsoft and a former Amazon director – for promoting prostitution after investigators said they met with victims of sex trafficking at high-end Bellevue apartments.

One of those charged is Sumit Virmani, the director of worldwide health for Microsoft.

Using the names "Appy" and "Jaytee," investigators said Virmani submitted over 70 reviews of prostitutes he had allegedly hired since April 2012, according to investigators.

When asked about Virmani’s employment status, a spokeswoman for WE Worldwide -- Microsoft’s PR company -- said she couldn’t comment because it’s a “law enforcement matter.”

A spokesman later confirmed Virmani is no longer an employee at Microsoft.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lots of weird pervos in tech

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hey guys. It turns out that upgrade deadline is fake after all!

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2016/05/06/accessibility-and-the-windows-10-free-upgrade/

quote:

As you may have heard, the free Windows 10 upgrade offer for customers running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 is set to end on July 29, but we want to clarify that that deadline will *not* apply to customers who use assistive technologies. We are continuing to deliver on our previously-shared vision for accessibility for Windows 10 and we are committed to ensuring that users of assistive technologies have the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 for free as we do so.

Stay tuned for more details on how you can take advantage of the free offer. In the meantime, you can read more about our accessibility roadmap for Windows 10 on the Microsoft on the Issues blog.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
hahaha look at what stupid old microsoft are doing now. How clueless can you get

(Bloomberg) -- Facebook Inc. and Microsoft Corp. are joining forces with environmental groups to promote the development of 60 gigawatts of renewable energy by 2025.

That’s enough to replace all the coal-fired power plants in the U.S. expected to retire in the next four years. The Renewable Energy Buyers Alliance was formed to break barriers that companies say they face with utilities and regulators in their efforts to reduce carbon emissions, the companies said on a conference call Thursday.

Large energy consumers such as Facebook and Microsoft that want to run on cleaner energy than utility grids provide have relied for years on buying power directly from renewable energy developers through power purchase agreements. Those opportunities are getting harder to find in some states and are not available to smaller companies, said Brian Janous, director of sustainability at Microsoft. He leads an effort to cut its carbon emissions by 9.5 million metric tons that began in 2012.

COOPERATION NEEDED

“Much of the activity so far has been in the form of PPAs and that’s an efficient way to secure renewable energy, but it’s challenging for small companies,” Janous said on the call. “We have a long way to go, and the only way we’re going to get there is collaboration. We need utilities to come in as aggregators and provide new opportunities.”

Facebook, Microsoft and more than 60 companies were joined in the effort by Business for Social Responsibility, the World Resources Institute, the Rocky Mountain Institute and the World Wildlife Fund.

Facebook wants to get half of its electricity from renewable sources by 2018 and eventually meet all of its needs from carbon-free sources, said Bill Weihl, company director of sustainability.

“Access to clean energy is one aspect we look for when we site data centers,” Weihl said. “We’re working together with utilities and regulators to design new products so we can all buy more clean energy.”

The group plans to meet at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, Washington, next week to share experiences and ideas on how to encourage utilities to let businesses buy more energy from wind turbines and solar panels.

“We know there’s an appetite,” said Letha Tawney, director of utility innovation at the World Resources Institute. “In some markets there are no options. We’re finding that utilities are excited to offer something.”

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ah they're following apple's method of putting features and options in the "Accessibility Settings" part of the OS

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/microsoft-leader-former-amazon-director-charged-in-prostitution-sting/281281333

Charges have been filed against additional men – including a director from Microsoft and a former Amazon director – for promoting prostitution after investigators said they met with victims of sex trafficking at high-end Bellevue apartments.

One of those charged is Sumit Virmani, the director of worldwide health for Microsoft.

Using the names "Appy" and "Jaytee," investigators said Virmani submitted over 70 reviews of prostitutes he had allegedly hired since April 2012, according to investigators.

When asked about Virmani’s employment status, a spokeswoman for WE Worldwide -- Microsoft’s PR company -- said she couldn’t comment because it’s a “law enforcement matter.”

A spokesman later confirmed Virmani is no longer an employee at Microsoft.

hookers are cool and good

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Doom is pretty much trading praise with Uncharted 4 as one of the best new releases with almost universal gushing, so queue up the wrong-take bot

quote:

I’ll keep playing as long as I can stand it, but I find myself drifting back to the latest Call of Duty title—Black Ops 3, which is excellent—for more sophisticated and fun (multiplayer) game play.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

call of pooty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
paul is like the bill kristol of computer opinions

• Locked thread