Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

WSX wasn't basically a front to keep a bunch of talent from leaving AAA in really poo poo ways and I'm also sure it made more money than Lucha Underground or at the very least didn't just throw as much of it down the toilet.

what? no. it was mtv ecw like tv show. maybe you are thinking of lucha libre usa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KungFu Grip posted:

what? no. it was mtv ecw like tv show. maybe you are thinking of lucha libre usa?

He said "wasn't"

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

He said "wasn't"

Yeah, I said "wasn't" I was talking poo poo about LU not WSX

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

can't believe that guy tried to throw shade on 2015 so cal wrestler of the year winner b-boy

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I like watching Lucha Underground

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Swagger Dagger posted:

Its really good they have famous b

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Tremendous Daveism on today's WOR. "Let me be clear so no-one can misinterpret, there's stuff that I've seen and I can't really say what it is..."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Listening to MSL and Kevin Sullivan, I suddenly hit upon the reason I like Sullivan so much while he was talking about how as a kid he and his friends used to play Chestnuts or something rather than doing stuff all alone like kids and their iphones do today.

It's the fact that he comes across as a mix of Grandpa Simpson and the landlady from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt. It's a weirdly endearing mix.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Swagger Dagger posted:

I do too, and I liked WSX. I still watch the DVDs today, in fact. LU is a way better show in pretty much every respect, though, which is why it sucks that AAA is using it as leverage over their employees.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

I do too, and I liked WSX. I still watch the DVDs today, in fact. LU is a way better show in pretty much every respect, though, which is why it sucks that AAA is using it as leverage over their employees.

It's not so much that AAA is using it as leverage, it's that LU and AAA orchestrated the LU contracts for just that purpose. When one of your owners "negotiates" all the deals and tricks people into signing them it is a bit more than using leverage. It's criminal.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

WSX wasn't basically a front to keep a bunch of talent from leaving AAA in really poo poo ways and I'm also sure it made more money than Lucha Underground or at the very least didn't just throw as much of it down the toilet.

lol no. MTV took a bath on that one.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

oh ok, well still at least it wasn't a front

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WSX definitely didn't lose as much as LU but its host network also gave up on it way quicker due to management shakeups.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I appreciate Dave fumbling his way through NHL ratings updates

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/732385581972361216

Meltzer is a confirmed listener of the Wrestlehut Pisscast.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jubs posted:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/732385581972361216

Meltzer is a confirmed listener of the Wrestlehut Pisscast.

the quoted tweet doesnt exist anymore so uh

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

The dude couldn't handle the fame that comes with being retweeted by big dave.

The tweet was asking him if he followed and wrestling podcasts

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
wrong thread

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Go RV! posted:

the quoted tweet doesnt exist anymore so uh

The guy asked if Dave was a devoted Piss-ant and listened to the Pisscast religiously.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Big ups to Writer Cath, Karmine, and of course Manflurry btw, I like the merging of the podcasts hope it happens more often if possible

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Nice to know Meltz also thinks of the car security stick when he hears The Club

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Vertical Lime posted:

Nice to know Meltz also thinks of the car security stick when he hears The Club

I lost it when Big Dave described what a fridge box is in detail

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

triplexpac posted:

I lost it when Big Dave described what a fridge box is in detail

"They revealed - in the ring - that they had a time machine and they- "
"Well, Big E made sure to explain it was really a refrigerator box."
"So it wasn't a time machine?"
"No it was a cardboard thing you put around a refrigerator when you buy the refrigerator."
"Ok."

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Kind of shocked that after nearly twenty years the direction of the company is to still make sure that the McMahons are seen as the most important, resourceful and intelligent characters.

Well not shocked because I can entirely believe that. What's the word for something where you know you should be shocked at something but find yourself utterly unsurprised.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Filthy Tom's story about how he "blew" his WWE tryout is really kind of telling in the way they treat their talent. It just seems like the worst place to work.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Kind of shocked that after nearly twenty years the direction of the company is to still make sure that the McMahons are seen as the most important, resourceful and intelligent characters.

Well not shocked because I can entirely believe that. What's the word for something where you know you should be shocked at something but find yourself utterly unsurprised.

Resignation.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's weird though because Mr. McMahon was an over the top character who got completely owned by Stone Cold and the Rock and even Mankind and so on on a regular basis. Stephanie and Shane are way more 'we're real people and we're smarter and better than everyone'

I would say the HHH/Stephanie era actually is a big change from the past heel authority figures who, even if meant to be powerful and menacing, were also clearly meant to be humiliated on a regular basis

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It's weird though because Mr. McMahon was an over the top character who got completely owned by Stone Cold and the Rock and even Mankind and so on on a regular basis. Stephanie and Shane are way more 'we're real people and we're smarter and better than everyone'

I would say the HHH/Stephanie era actually is a big change from the past heel authority figures who, even if meant to be powerful and menacing, were also clearly meant to be humiliated on a regular basis

so you're saying we should hit Steph with a bedpan?

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

is there a good article about the LU/AAA contract thing people have been talking about?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

"Big E made sure to mention it was a refrigerator box" - Dave

"So you mean it wasn't a time machine?" - Bryan

"No, it was a cardboard thing you put around a refrigerator when you buy the refrigerator" - Dave

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

VileLL posted:

is there a good article about the LU/AAA contract thing people have been talking about?

I don't think I've read all the details Konnan spilled collected in one place. I don't think he said anything new but it was stories probably spread across multiple Observers.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

ohh, it was the Konnan stuff. Thanks!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sportsgenius86 posted:

"No, it was a cardboard thing you put around a refrigerator when you buy the refrigerator" - Dave

A worked handoff.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

coconono posted:

Maybe they're not but I definitely am

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the story with filthy Tom's tryout

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

Stuff like this should be in the year-end best of, but it'll probably get forgotten

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VileLL posted:

It's on the Konnan podcast and worth a listen, but the gist of it is

LU and AAA partnered up for talent

When it came time to sign contracts, AAA negotiated the majority of those contracts, and agreed to a 7 season deal for LU.

Ricochet negotiated separately, it's unclear if anyone else did.

AAA then got its talent to sign the contracts, which meant you could only wrestle on US TV in LU until the contract ended

Some talent (namely El Hijo del Fantasma aka King Cuerno) wanted to leave AAA and move to another promotion.

If the promotion was in the US, AAA pointed out that you can't appear on their TV for another 4 or 5 seasons and we won't help you get out of the deal we negotiated early.

If the promotion was in Mexico, AAA and LU threatened not to blackball them.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

exploding mummy posted:

It's on the Konnan podcast and worth a listen, but the gist of it is

LU and AAA partnered up for talent

When it came time to sign contracts, AAA negotiated the majority of those contracts, and agreed to a 7 season deal for LU.

Ricochet negotiated separately, it's unclear if anyone else did.

AAA then got its talent to sign the contracts, which meant you could only wrestle on US TV in LU until the contract ended

Some talent (namely El Hijo del Fantasma aka King Cuerno) wanted to leave AAA and move to another promotion.

If the promotion was in the US, AAA pointed out that you can't appear on their TV for another 4 or 5 seasons and we won't help you get out of the deal we negotiated early.

If the promotion was in Mexico, AAA and LU threatened not to blackball them.

I really hope that this is just Triple A being the huge scumbags we've known they are forever and LU isn't really culpable in this. I don't want them to be just another carny-rear end wrestling promotion :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

I really hope that this is just Triple A being the huge scumbags we've known they are forever and LU isn't really culpable in this. I don't want them to be just another carny-rear end wrestling promotion :(

The guy who negotiated all those contracts and got the Mexican wrestlers to sign them (and gently caress them over) is one of the major stake holders in Lucha Underground. LU and AAA are joined at the hip.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

No, but Steph getting in over her head and Becky putting her in the armbar or Sasha clotheslining her wouldn't go amiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sanguinia posted:

well, LU apparently is an absolute godsend to how it treats wrestler on taping days, since its a tv shoot, there's actually water, and catering and wrestlers can take as much as they want and they're in a nice hotel and a meal allowance.

no one wants to lose out on LU's perks compared to AAA's perks which are literally nothing

but yeah, LU is totally complicit in this, and sadly the most ethical major wrestling promotion in North America is probably WWE.

• Locked thread