Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Black Lightning

That reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKbGnzmidsw

But yea, I meant Marvel, and I forgot about Rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just had a thought - given those movie posters from the GOTG 2 set photos, and given Castle is ending, Nathan Fillion should be available to portray Simon Williams / Wonder Man now.

(Occurred to me as I was about to post that surely there's no reason Michael B. Jordan couldn't play a character who's white in the comics, and was going to say Wonder Man.)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I am really trying to think of any major black male superheroes that haven't been adapted yet, and I can only think of Blue Marvel and Goliath. Michael B Jordan as Blue Marvel would be kind of awesome.

Patriot or Doctor Voodoo but those would be characters in different franchises.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Patrick Stewart has officially joined the cast for Wolverine 3.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So yep, almost certainly Old Man Logan.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

He could be Moses Magnum, that'd be pretty fun. Michael B. Jordan, I mean. Though Patrick Stewart as Moses Magnum would also be pretty fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got seeing Civil War this evening. It was fun.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

What if, and bear with me here but what if, the MCU Black Knight was an actual black guy?

e: ok never mind, Martin Lawrence has already been tapped for bad boys 3

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That would require anyone actually wanting to have Black Knight in the MCU in the first place.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Black Knight as he's been currently isn't too bad, where Dayne is kind of nuts becuase of Black Sword, but yea old school Black Knight was really silly. It was very clear in the 60s Lee, Kirby, Ditko and the other first wave of Marvel creators were just coming up with everything and anything for a character and trying them out seeing how they were received.

I heard today that during an interview, Sharon Stone was asked if she'll ever do a Marvel movie, and she is doing one, but it's a small part. My friends Podcast mentioned she might be playing Jan Van Dyne-Pym, which would be pretty cool.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 15, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

That would require anyone actually wanting to have Black Knight in the MCU in the first place.

There was a time when Black Knight was the most popular member of the Avengers, during the Bob Harras run, when everyone wore leather jackets over their costumes.

Even before that, Black Knight was the one they put on the Marvel 25th anniversary tie-in cover for the Avengers.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

I do.

But I also want Darkhawk, Night Thrasher, Speedball, Elsa Bloodstone, and Wonder Man. So my movie wouldn't make much money.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Any character can make money if you put the effort and cash into it. There really isn't any difference between say Iron Man pre RDJ and Black Knight as far as the general public is concerned.

That is why saying so an so could never work as a movie doesn't work, because as far as the general public cares they are all the same. Outside if a few properties of course.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

I do.

But I also want Darkhawk, Night Thrasher, Speedball, Elsa Bloodstone, and Wonder Man. So my movie wouldn't make much money.

NextWarriors

alternatively: Hey, you had your chance, buddy. Blame the CW movie for going off-canon :getin:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a time when Black Knight was the most popular member of the Avengers, during the Bob Harras run, when everyone wore leather jackets over their costumes.

Even before that, Black Knight was the one they put on the Marvel 25th anniversary tie-in cover for the Avengers.

I'm once again reminded of that terrible Operation: Galactic Storm fighting game where there were 8 playable characters and only four of them were Avengers. They were Captain America, Black Knight, Thunderstrike and Crystal. Guys like Thor and Iron Man got stuck as assists.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

I do.

Monkey's Paw gives you the original blonde cheesecake Elsa.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

I'm once again reminded of that terrible Operation: Galactic Storm fighting game where there were 8 playable characters and only four of them were Avengers. They were Captain America, Black Knight, Thunderstrike and Crystal. Guys like Thor and Iron Man got stuck as assists.

Now that sounds like a solid video game. Though Eric Masterson Thor would have been better than Thunderstrike.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I heard today that during an interview, Sharon Stone was asked if she'll ever do a Marvel movie, and she is doing one, but it's a small part. My friends Podcast mentioned she might be playing Jan Van Dyne-Pym, which would be pretty cool.

It's supposedly a cameo/minor role in Guardians 2.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Now that sounds like a solid video game. Though Eric Masterson Thor would have been better than Thunderstrike.

The other playable characters included Shatterax, Dr. Minerva, Korath and Supremor. Yes, a playable Supreme Intelligence.

Look it up if you dare.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

I do.

I'd love to see all of those in supporting roles, though I still want my Avengers Dark netflix series with Elsa, Blade, Morbius, Man-Thing and Hellstrum.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gavok posted:

A Youtube search says that was also the name of one of the episodes of the excellent Avengers EMH cartoon. It was a reference the whole time, who knew. Watching the first video I found with Cap gameplay and it's really interesting to see some of his moves ended up in Marvel vs Street Fighter and all the games that came afterwards. Or Infinity Stones. Whichever came first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The game was based on a comic storyline.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

The other playable characters included Shatterax, Dr. Minerva, Korath and Supremor. Yes, a playable Supreme Intelligence.

Look it up if you dare.

I honestly don't know any of these characters.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Dr. Minera was pretty awesome in the Versus card game. drat near required in a Kree deck.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So, CW should be going above $300 mil domestic either by the end of today or sometime during the week, and will outpace BvS' LTD domestic ticket sales sometime next weekend. Should go over a billion by the end of next weekend or sometime during the week after next.

It'll be interesting to see how DC reacts to this. Taken by itself and in absolution BvS performed "well". But CW coming out over a month later and dominating it in every field - especially critically and in China - has got to be worrisome, because DC/WB knows they left a ton of money on the table. I mean, CW's already outpaced BvS' LTD ticket sales in total, and really definitively - we're talking almost $100 million more in sales. In less than half the time, with a weaker brand. I think everyone had a feeling that Marvel was gonna win the box office battle, but not in such a commanding way as this.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 15, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Toxxupation posted:

in absolution

Don't bring the Pope into this

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

It'll be interesting to see how DC reacts to this.

Hopefully by making two more fun Snyder movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

less laughter posted:

You know he's Team Cap though.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

less laughter posted:

gently caress, isolation. Dunno how I hosed that up.

Also, a pair of news articles: Feige confirms Inhumans is still happening, moved to Phase Four and Singer confirms without confirming the next X-Men trilogy will be the Dark Phoenix Saga.

I always suspected that Inhumans was a movie concept that Marvel wouldn't just want to straight-up abandon. It adds a whole cavalcade of new heroes to use while roping in a couple of underused elements of Cosmic Marvel, on top of if they use the Terrigen mists plot point from Infinity allows the MCU to get an easy way to add a whole bunch of new heroes. Especially Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), who's the hottest new thing in comics right now and by the time an Inhumans movie finally happens they'll know if Ms. Marvel's reliable enough of a character to carry a movie by herself over just being some sort of gimmick that everybody gets tired of. Plus I always considered Inhumans the odd man out of the Phase Three slate, with the new establishment of a society existing in or around Earth (depending on what version of Attilan they use) being this new status quo that's more deserving of being a lynchpin of its own arc of stories.

For the X-Men thing, I'm guessing that FOX is betting that Sophie Turner's the Next Big Thing (for good reason), and might be considering using its more Cosmic elements that it's owned but never used like the Shi'ar and Badoon and Skrulls and Gladiator and poo poo. Could also, maybe, be FOX trying to follow Cosmic MCU's lead? Maybe?

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 15, 2016

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

What is fun? Beep boop.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Heathen posted:

What is fun? Beep boop.

Somewhere Zack frowns, not knowing why.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Oh the dark Phoenix saga again huh. That's disappointing that they don't even give the new Jean two movies before making her go evil.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Space X-men would at least give us the Starjammers though.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

CharlestheHammer posted:

Somewhere Zack frowns, not knowing why.

Judging by the tone of his movies I don't think he ever smiles. Other then when he cashes in his paycheck for those abominations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I've actually been thinking recently that the Inhumans would work really well if it were done in the vein of YA science-fantasy fiction more than traditional superhero stuff.

You have teens waking up with mysterious powers, a loving castle on the moon, politicking between ancient and incestuous royal families who are trying to get a foothold in the mortal world---it fits the template of so so many recent big hits, and would give the inhumans a more distinct niche.

Recent success of Ms Marvel playing to that audience backs this up, they just need to integrate that into a more familiar story for the first movie, maybe.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

fun Snyder movies

I think it's really nice that you can still dare to dream.

Toxxupation posted:

For the X-Men thing, I'm guessing that FOX is betting that Sophie Turner's the Next Big Thing (for good reason), and might be considering using its more Cosmic elements that it's owned but never used like the Shi'ar and Badoon and Skrulls and Gladiator and poo poo. Could also, maybe, be FOX trying to follow Cosmic MCU's lead? Maybe?

I know it's Jean, so all of her stories will always be on a timer of "How long til it gets Phoenixy" but I wish they would hesitate. We don't have to go there every time.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I really, really, really want X-Men Apocalypse to be good. Or at least enjoyable. It's all well and good that all these MCU films are succeeding and we get to be all "these comic characters from my childhood are being done right!" but like, I was never a big fan of Cap or Iron Man or Thor or whatever growing up. The X-Men are my real faves. The X-Men are my home.

(:negative:)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It rebounded a bit actually. It's up to a 59% on RT, from like a 40 when reviews first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

BrianWilly posted:

I really, really, really want X-Men Apocalypse to be good. Or at least enjoyable. It's all well and good that all these MCU films are succeeding and we get to be all "these comic characters from my childhood are being done right!" but like, I was never a big fan of Cap or Iron Man or Thor or whatever growing up. The X-Men are my real faves. The X-Men are my home.

(:negative:)

Same here. The X-Men were extremely my poo poo growing up, and I read way more X-Men comics than anything else

• Locked thread