Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Polaron posted:

Pretty sure people have been killed by the police due to that toy as well, as the original predated the US laws requiring orange tips on the barrel.

It's reportedly even tougher to get in Australia, where it's considered a firearm replica.

TSA flight guidelines explicitly ban Transformers toys for this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Polaron posted:

Pretty sure people have been killed by the police due to that toy as well, as the original predated the US laws requiring orange tips on the barrel.

Allegedly it's the very reason for those laws.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Die Laughing posted:

I've seen people at conventions get robbed with all sorts of Transformers.

That's traditionally called "capitalism".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sheriff of Babylon #5

Set in Baghdad, 2004. The guy here is an American training Iraqi police and investigating a murder, the woman is the wife of a detective assisting him.
The whole issue is one drunken conversation they're having.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 9, 2016

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
From Fantastic Four vs X-Men #2

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I'm looking for a specific Spider-Man page/panel that I remember really liking years ago. I don't remember the exact issue, but it was in the late 90s or early 2000s. but here's a description:

"After the whole fiasco with the clones, and the return of the Green Goblin, and the loss of his unborn child, Spidey is finally getting back to his roots. As he patrols the city, he stops to harass J. Jonah Jameson one more time. But when he sees Jameson alone at his desk, hours after his employees have gone, still working late into the night, Spidey decides not to play his usual pranks. Instead, he taps on the window, eliciting an angry tirade from Jonah. Spidey then calmly says, "Jonah, it's late. Go home.""

Can someone find the issue and/or the panel for me?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spectacular Spider-Man 241

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

X-O posted:

Spectacular Spider-Man 241

Thanks! I've been looking for this for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Script says 10 o clock, panels show 10:45 and 10:51.

Peter doesn't know how to tell time.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Script says 10 o clock, panels show 10:45 and 10:51.

Peter doesn't know how to tell time.
J3 always keeps his clock 45 minutes ahead so he can yell at his employees about their deadlines.

No Prize Plz.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Latest issue of More Than Meets The Eye, and Megatron faces up to his legacy in all sense of the word

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Latest issue of More Than Meets The Eye, and Megatron faces up to his legacy in all sense of the word

Does anyone else think that Tarn is Dominus Ambus?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dsmif posted:

Does anyone else think that Tarn is Dominus Ambus?

My money is on Terminus.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Humanizing (lol) the insane death squad is the best part of MtMtE.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not sure why speculation on tarn needs spoilering. Most people seem to guess roller, I have no guesses.

The death squad gets a little more humanizing than they would elsewhere because just about all the characters are in fact killers and have millions of years of war defining their lives. The death squad and megatron are both the worst but no one is really pure here.

That transformers are both millions of years old and that the ones on these two sides have also spent most of those years in a war, are two things every story about transformers starts with.

I personally thought the sadder moments came right after this.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Crossposting from the funny comics thread, because Lord knows it doesn't belong there. Click to read the full version

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
That comic sure did suck last post. It just plain sucked! I've seen comics suck before, but that is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

It belongs in both threads, because it is funny and sad at the same time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It hinges pretty much entirely on the reader really liking Simpsons quotes I guess

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

AnonSpore posted:

It hinges pretty much entirely on the reader really liking Simpsons quotes I guess

:ssh: My unspoilered comment is a Simpsons quote. :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

AnonSpore posted:

So it assumes you speak english.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Bravo posted:

:ssh: My unspoilered comment is a Simpsons quote. :v:

I wasn't responding to you, I was commenting on the comic. The melting people art doesn't help things.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

McKilligan posted:

Crossposting from the funny comics thread, because Lord knows it doesn't belong there. Click to read the full version

Huh I read this comic years ago, I didn't know Rebecca Sugar of Steven Universe made it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Huh I read this comic years ago, I didn't know Rebecca Sugar of Steven Universe made it.

See, to me, well before she started working on popular TV shows, Rebecca Sugar was "The person who made that Simpsons comic and Pug Davis"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

See, to me, well before she started working on popular TV shows, Rebecca Sugar was "The person who made that Simpsons comic and Pug Davis"

It took me an embarassingly long time to figure out why the weird faces Steven was making looked so familiar to me.

Whatever happened to Pug Davis, anyway? I mean, I assume it fell by the wayside when she got involved in animation, but it just vanished off the web one day.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fatherdog posted:

It took me an embarassingly long time to figure out why the weird faces Steven was making looked so familiar to me.

Whatever happened to Pug Davis, anyway? I mean, I assume it fell by the wayside when she got involved in animation, but it just vanished off the web one day.

It's being posted in the bad comics thread right now. I don't think it's finished, she got pulled into working on Adventure Time when Pug Davis was still being written, and hasn't gotten back to it that i know of.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

EoRaptor posted:

It's being posted in the bad comics thread right now.

Something doesn't add up here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah Pug Davis is awesome, what the heck.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Isn't the bad webcomics thread just really a general comics thread, I remember they also used to discuss It Hurts and they ended up genuinely liking that.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Travis343 posted:

Something doesn't add up here.

PBS Newshour posted:

Isn't the bad webcomics thread just really a general comics thread, I remember they also used to discuss It Hurts and they ended up genuinely liking that.

Good stuff is often posted as a sort of "palate cleanser" or gentle eye bleach to soften the impact of the truly terrible comics.

There's been some very good Japanese and French comics posted in there to great acclaim, for instance, amid all the times people have posted Goblins, Dresden Codak, and Sister Claire, etc.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

New Frontier #6.

For those who haven't read the miniseries (and you should), New Frontier is a story about the DC Universe characters existing in the 50's. All the heroes come together to face a Lovecraftian horror called the Centre. The previous issue ends with Superman pumping up everyone's morale and then flying at the Centre. He's then easily stopped by the creature and is blasted into the ocean. Everyone's heart sinks. Due to it being a non-canon book and the rampant dark moments spread throughout, I read this fully accepting that, yep, Superman may have just died.

Here's how the final issue begins.

The Centre is eventually stopped, thanks to teamwork, though mostly because of Green Lantern. Once the Centre is defeated, everyone thinks the adventure is over, only for some to notice a bubbling off the coast.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
God, that's so gorgeous. I wish I still had my copy to look at, but I sold it to someone who'd appreciate the story more than I do.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh wow that artwork I must read this.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
There was a movie adaptation not too long ago that was pretty good as well. They definitely handle the source material with the respect it deserves.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The entire John Henry storyline in New Frontier. If someone can post it I would be grateful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Choco1980 posted:

There was a movie adaptation not too long ago that was pretty good as well. They definitely handle the source material with the respect it deserves.

It was a pretty long while ago (George Bush was still president when it came out), but it is still very good.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

Goddamn, that is a smug-looking Aquaman. :allears:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

bobkatt013 posted:

The entire John Henry storyline in New Frontier. If someone can post it I would be grateful.
It's both tragic and badass.

Also,

DC: The New Frontier #4

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is that J'onn J'onzz in the last panel? Imagining being burned to death?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Uthor posted:

Is that J'onn J'onzz in the last panel? Imagining being burned to death?

Yep. New Frontier is a must read for anybody who has ever picked up a DC book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Die Laughing posted:

Yep. New Frontier is a must read for anybody who has ever picked up a DC book.

Agreed. It's an excellent read and the animated adaptation is top-notch.