Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the interview:
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/fantastic-four/40592/fantastic-four-simon-kinberg-wants-same-cast-for-brighter-sequel

quote:

“We didn't make a good movie,” Kinberg said, “and the world voted, and I think they probably voted correctly. And you can't make a good movie every time out - not everybody does. We actually have a pretty good batting average, all things considered. But I think we made many mistakes when we made that movie - mistakes that we learned from and we wouldn't repeat.”

At the same time, Kinberg said that the desire to make another Fantastic Four at Fox still remains - and with the same core cast of the last film:

“We want to make another Fantastic Four movie. We love that cast - I mean if I were to say to you now Michael B Jordan and Miles Teller, and Kate [Mara] and Jamie [Bell] are great actors - we love that cast. I love the comic, I mean I love it almost as much as X-Men.”

If it happens, the next Fantastic Four movie would, Kinberg adds, be closer in tone to the comics - so far less of the Cronenbergian body horror than we got in Josh Trank’s reboot.

“We'll try to be truer to the essence of the tone of Fantastic Four, which is completely - well, not completely, but largely - distinct from the X-Men, which is brighter, funner, more optimistic tone. I think we tried to make a darker Fantastic Four movie, which seemed like a radical idea but we were kind of messing with the DNA of the actual comic instead of trusting the DNA of the comic.”

At this stage, it’s far from clear whether another Fantastic Four film will happen, though Kinberg seems upbeat about its chances.

“We're working really hard on figuring that out,” he said. “Nothing would make me happier than the world embracing a Fantastic Four movie.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Online numbers are taken into account when deciding whether to renew or cancel a television show but they aren't weighted as heavily as actual television viewers because A) while online services can and do play ads, they generally aren't as expensive or lucrative as television advertisements and B) except for Netflix, which is a direct competitor to the major networks and gets to basically tell them to gently caress off when it comes to reporting numbers, few other subscription services produce numbers of viewers worth pursuing: there are 116 million TV watching households in America, 42 million Netflix subscriptions, and 9 million Hulu subscriptions. Networks weight their ratings reports accordingly.

I'd say aside from Netflix, there probably isn't a company out there that really has a strong grasp on how important online viewership really is, and what all of these numbers even mean. For subscription-based services, total viewer numbers aren't nearly as important as metrics that measure why people get subscriptions.

For Netflix, a show like Daredevil might lead to a ton of new subscriptions from people who are interested in Marvel movies and want to see more. Those same people might also watch Avengers 2: Age of Ultron because they're bored on a Wednesday night. Both shows get the same number of views in this instance, but only one of them is actually getting subscribers. The other is contributing to retention, but it less important in the equation.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Holy poo poo. :getin:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
“We actually have a pretty good batting average, all things considered. ”

uhhhh

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Hat Thoughts posted:

uhhhh

I'm sure there's at least 30% of good material in Fant4stic, and a .300 BA is really good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A reminder that Fant4stic Four made less than The Green Hornet, Daredevil and Green Lantern and only slightly more than Blade: Trinity, Spawn and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A reminder that Fant4stic Four made less than The Green Hornet, Daredevil and Green Lantern and only slightly more than Blade: Trinity, Spawn and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Is that taking Inflation into account?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The Green Hornet

Why did you include this good movie???

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

Is that taking Inflation into account?

Heck no! Fant4stic Four made $56 million at the domestic box office last year and if you adjust for inflation then Blade: Trinity made $72m, Spawn made $102m and Stallone's Dredd and Liam Neeson's Darkman both come to $68m. There's still a few stinkers that didn't even beat Fant4stic Four: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance still only comes to $55.2m, Catwoman is $55.5, Howard the Duck is $37m, Supergirl is $35m, Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is $34m, Elektra is $32m and Punisher: War Zone is $9.6m.

That's some lovely, lovely company it's keeping down in the murkiest deepest end of the superhero film pool.

LesterGroans posted:

Why did you include this good movie???

That "good movie" fuckin' murdered Michel Gondry's career but Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen got away scott free, I'm still angry. :argh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 14, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance... Punisher: War Zone

These are alright. Definitely better than Fantastic Four.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

These are alright. Definitely better than Fantastic Four.

Yeah, but they got fuckin' buried so they never had a chance. Punisher: War Zone got released on Dec 5 on 2,508 screens for two weeks which then dropped to 385 screens for a third week and then they pulled it.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance got released on Feb 17, pretty much the exact same time of year as the first Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Constantine, Gods of Egypt, Pitch Black and Robocop 2014 which tells you how well the studio expected it to go.
(Deadpool opened on almost the exact same weekend this year and smashed all expectations for a February opening which has apparently confused the gently caress out of all the industry people who thought they were any good at predicting box office successes.)

Edit: oh poo poo, the How Did This Get Made guys did an episode on it with Patton Oswalt and director Lexi Alexander. Listening to it now ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm1fLO2pjyU

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 15, 2016

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Punisher: War Zone was all right (and just all right), but all the stuff referring back to his family getting killed and how sad he was were the most cringeworthy and tonally dissonant parts of the movie. Not to mention, there was just a Punisher movie two years ago, yeah it wasn't technically connected, but why feel the need to go back to that setup?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

uhhhh

Fox has made other movies than F4nt4st4c F4rt. Even other Marvel movies, such as Deadpool, which just made all the money, and X-Men Apocalypse, which is on track to also make a poo poo-ton of money.

Taking all the Marvel stuff Fox has done combined? Yeah, they're not doing too badly. They just can't figure out what to do with the Fantastic Four, specifically.

Chairman Capone posted:

Punisher: War Zone was all right (and just all right), but all the stuff referring back to his family getting killed and how sad he was were the most cringeworthy and tonally dissonant parts of the movie. Not to mention, there was just a Punisher movie two years ago, yeah it wasn't technically connected, but why feel the need to go back to that setup?

I mean, it's kind of Frank's defining thing. Frank is pretty much solely fueled by the grief over his family.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Goddamn, anyone who has any interest (pro or anti) in the Punisher: War Zone film or superhero films of the modern era in general or female directors should have a listen to that How Did This Get Made podcast, it's loving crazy. The director pretty much got railroaded into making the film even though she had zero interest in the character or US comics at all (and over another director who was actually a big Punisher fan) and it just kept loving snowballing from there. The parkour story is hilarious and the part where the studio dumped her chosen soundtrack and brought in their own composer and instructed him to make it sound as much like The Dark Knight as possible is just :psyduck:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Taking all the Marvel stuff Fox has done combined? Yeah, they're not doing too badly. They just can't figure out what to do with the Fantastic Four, specifically.

They also made Daredevil and Elektra. :ssh:
Also Deadpool was pretty much made despite Fox rather than with Fox's complete backing, they gave it a tiny budget and dumped it into cinemas in February.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 15, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

F4nt4st4c F4rt.
Really?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

they gave it a tiny budget and dumped it into cinemas in February.

To be fair, the idea that you can only release good movies during certain parts of the year is idiotic. More studious should stop wasting money on the over-competitive summer months, and instead spread out their movies.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Oasx posted:

To be fair, the idea that you can only release good movies during certain parts of the year is idiotic. More studious should stop wasting money on the over-competitive summer months, and instead spread out their movies.

I think there are some legit issues, like being in school/work versus out of school/work, and so on as far as free time goes. It also depends on what the studios want, whether they want to release so they can position their physical media release for a certain date, or be oscar bait and still in the minds of the voting judges.

I mean, consumers, for many reasons, fall into patterns that business follow. It's hard to change that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that movie did not win all the internets for sure

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Watched Deadpool last night. It was funny! Most of the best action beats were in the trailers though which was a bit disappointing, was hoping they'd do something more clever with his regeneration in the climactic fights instead of coming down to kung fu action. They did a good job keeping things small and tightly focused.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Guy A. Person posted:

Watched Deadpool last night. It was funny! Most of the best action beats were in the trailers though which was a bit disappointing, was hoping they'd do something more clever with his regeneration in the climactic fights instead of coming down to kung fu action. They did a good job keeping things small and tightly focused.

I just watched it too and my biggest beef is they really didn't go far enough. Aside from maybe one or two moments, if you muted the dialogue in the fight scenes (especially the final one) they could be taken from pretty much any modern comic book movie. I was hoping it would use its action as part of the satire, but instead they just felt like padding to me.

I also didn't like the happy ending, with everything pretty much working out as safely as possible. I guess I expected something more subversive, but the movie's actually pretty straightforward, just with ruder jokes than usual. I liked Colossus.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah that's a really good summation of how I felt, I agree with all of that.

I did really like the after credits Ferris Bueller skit. That was genuinely funny.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
As someone who doesn't really read comics, what IS the correct tone for a Fantastic Four movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CityMidnightJunky posted:

As someone who doesn't really read comics, what IS the correct tone for a Fantastic Four movie?

Weird and transgressive.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

We really need a Fantastic Four where The Thing's first act upon transforming is to try to beat Reed Richards to death in order to steal his wife. That's the sort of fealty to the comics that has made the MCU such a success.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Weird and transgressive.

Venture Bros. pretty much nailed it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Venture Bros. pretty much nailed it

The early Venture Bros stuff definitely gets at the weird wonder of FF.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cheerfully unsettling. Ridley Scott's Prometheus.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

The early Venture Bros stuff definitely gets at the weird wonder of FF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qhfoihw0E

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

FF should have elements of old pulp sci fi I think. With less of the unfortunate implications of course. I think "zeerust" visual styling should be present in some form. Definitely a sense of adventure is important.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Weird Saturday morning cartoon.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Weird Saturday morning cartoon.

As long as that cartoon is something like Gargoyles, sure.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

As long as that cartoon is something like Gargoyles, sure.

I'm thinking more X-Men: The Animated Series

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm thinking more X-Men: The Animated Series

It should probably resemble something good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It should probably resemble something good.

When's the last time you actually watched that show? I was watching it this morning and it's dope. Stuff that bizarre and wonderful rarely makes it out of the gate.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When's the last time you actually watched that show?
Let's watch it right now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fu972gdDTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Bc7QQeLAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYt78FWfa5M

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Much like the Chris Claremont comics it's based on, X-Men: the Animated Series feels like it was sent here from another planet.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think the only hope for a good FF movie is to set in the early sixties and make it a period piece. Sort of like First Class but make the time period more pronounced and maybe draw heavily from the way "Marvels" did it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the only hope for a good FF movie is to set in the early sixties and make it a period piece. Sort of like First Class but make the time period more pronounced and maybe draw heavily from the way "Marvels" did it.

I've said it before, but I think it's a property much more well-suited to animation than live-action, which is why we should just accept that The Incredibles is probably the best Fantastic Four movie we're ever gonna get.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

These are great, thanks for posting.

"the name is loving Gambit, remember it!"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've said it before, but I think it's a property much more well-suited to animation than live-action, which is why we should just accept that The Incredibles is probably the best Fantastic Four movie we're ever gonna get.

I honestly might be more excited for Incredibles 2 than almost any other in productions super hero movie (Justice League being nearly a tie but I still want to see some footage first, Incredibles I know is going to be amazing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I am looking forward to seeing the trailers for Justice League, skipping the movie, and watching everyone's befuddled reactions until they all forget it exists two weeks later.

• Locked thread