Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I figured that they don't have 3 way and 4 way SLI working the way they want yet so it's software locked. They would tell the press this so that people stop spreading the "1080 can only do 2-way SLI!" rumor, the 1080/1070 might not have it at launch but the hardware can do it once Nvidia gets it working properly.

I suspect this is correct, but if they did want to lock features behind a license 3/4-way SLI is where I'd want them to start because I don't give a poo poo about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lockback posted:

I suspect this is correct, but if they did want to lock features behind a license 3/4-way SLI is where I'd want them to start because I don't give a poo poo about that.

Better to make your money selling SLI bridges & licensing them out to mobo manufacturers.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Subjunctive posted:

My money is on "Titan 10".

Still won't sell one to me. :colbert:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
...Why don't they just make the card bigger and put more stuff on it? (I don't mean a 1090)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

...Why don't they just make the card bigger and put more stuff on it? (I don't mean a 1090)

How do you mean? They've got a larger chip than the 1070/1080, it's going to be the Titan whatever and then 1080 Ti when they have more than they're selling for a bunch of grand per to compute customers.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

FaustianQ posted:

I guess there is precedent for a GX104 chip to be considered flagship so that's really not outside possibility. But rather than a 1080ti, just the new Titan (G? X2? Y? K? P?) or something, 900$.

The weird fact is that the founders edition reference pcb has one phase and mosfet missing, so I was wondering if they may use it for the big-chip (aka 1080ti) and leave Titan-Whatever (and Tesla) use the HBM2 for some ludicrous pricing. The more I think about it, and the fact that gddrx still have a huge margin of improvement, the more it makes sense. For sure uncle Jen-Hsun didn't design a 6-phases pcb to rig only 5 on it :v:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I dunno, it kind of make sense to not use the P100 design for a consumer gaming card, rather a redesign that turns 75% of the FP64 ALUs into FP32 could make an immensely powerful card for a GP102 or GP110. P100 is just a horrifically inefficient for consumer usage IMHO.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wait, is that seriously why they keep doing SLI through fingers? o.o

No

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or they move to other colors on ROYGBIV plus White. Somehow I think they'd skip the Titan Red, though.

Titan Mauve

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

El Scotch posted:

Titan Mauve

You aren't thinking enough in terms of "prestige product"

Titan Rose Gold

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you have a 5-6+ year old PC I'm not sure how effectively you'll be able to use a 1070 or 1080 since the rest of the system won't be nearly as powerful.
No kidding. I started looking up exactly what I had under the hood, and apparently I'd be a bit boned if I tried to upgrade just the GPU without regard for, say, the power supply at least.

It still feels like maybe replacing it with something with a fan, even if it's just a 730 GT, would probably be an alright investment. Can't seem to find any replacement fans for the 9500 GT.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So I'm looking for a switched HDMI splitter. That is, I want to have a single input, and select which of the two outputs it goes to. (I don't think it'll work if they're both connected at the same time.) All the splitters I can find are "always on" to both, and all the switches I can find are multi-input/single-output.

My fallback is to have a short HDMI cable to the top of my desk with a F+F adapter, and then switch them manually when I use the different outputs, but that seems pretty uncivilized.

E: I wonder if I can just run a switch backwards...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I have a 2500k I bought in 2011 and I don't think a 1070 will outpace an OC'd 2500k. I don't think it's like it was 6-10 years ago when you had to upgrade in a rotation, more or less.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Most games just aren't CPU limited. There's some out there that can push it (RTS games like SupCom or Total War, etc.), but they're in the minority. Even still, the 2500k remains completely relevant, even more so with a decent overclock.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Subjunctive posted:

My money is on "Titan 10".

I could see it being called "Titan 4K".

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Titan TNT

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Games are starting to be able to actually use more and more cores, but that's a long progress and half the time it's in favor of old chips with a lot of cores because the total cpu requirement isn't going up as fast. We're finally approaching the future of gaming that bulldozer wouldn't suck miserably at that the die hards talked about right as it gets replaced with yet another high IPC processor that may be actually good.

Generally these days, if you're going to have the budget for both but not at once and the CPU isn't totally incompetent, I'd do the GPU first because it will be a huge upgrade, and then follow with a CPU. The CPU on its own isn't going to give you a huge result, so even if GPUs get better before you upgrade the CPU (not a worry, we're on the leading edge of the next generation and these things tend to last 2 years now), the time before you've upgraded both being good instead of bad will more than outweigh the time after both are upgraded being a bit less good.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

xthetenth posted:

Games are starting to be able to actually use more and more cores, but that's a long progress and half the time it's in favor of old chips with a lot of cores because the total cpu requirement isn't going up as fast. We're finally approaching the future of gaming that bulldozer wouldn't suck miserably at that the die hards talked about right as it gets replaced with yet another high IPC processor that may be actually good.

Generally these days, if you're going to have the budget for both but not at once and the CPU isn't totally incompetent, I'd do the GPU first because it will be a huge upgrade, and then follow with a CPU. The CPU on its own isn't going to give you a huge result, so even if GPUs get better before you upgrade the CPU (not a worry, we're on the leading edge of the next generation and these things tend to last 2 years now), the time before you've upgraded both being good instead of bad will more than outweigh the time after both are upgraded being a bit less good.

I think what's interesting is that the components that get you the most bang-for-your-buck nowadays are the complete opposite of what was suggested 10 years ago - RAM and CPU seemed to be the "best" upgrades back then, but now it's GPUs and SSDs (although SSDs less so for gaming).

I could see myself upgrading my GPU 3x+ before I bother upgrading my i5 4690k.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

i need your dealer's number, my weed isn't that good

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I think what's interesting is that the components that get you the most bang-for-your-buck nowadays are the complete opposite of what was suggested 10 years ago - RAM and CPU seemed to be the "best" upgrades back then, but now it's GPUs and SSDs (although SSDs less so for gaming).

I could see myself upgrading my GPU 3x+ before I bother upgrading my i5 4690k.

CPUs don't move much these days year to year, so getting a real performance upgrade means going up the stack. That basically kills the price effectiveness right off the bat. Ask me about being a penny wise fool and not getting a Haswell-E when I could have gotten one instead of a 4790k. I'm going to end up replacing that much sooner than a 6 core, and probably end up paying more over time.

The big thing is that CPUs are slamming into the law of diminishing returns on single core speed, and servers and laptops matter more than desktop so Intel's perfectly happy to pocket advances in tech to make laptops more efficient and make servers either more efficient or stuff them with more cores. Desktop still is okay with paying current prices per core, so it keeps on limping along. Meanwhile GPUs aren't gaining as fast because things are just overall slowing down, but they're still able to directly turn transistors into performance.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I've got a lovely i5 2400 running at 3.1ghz from like 5 years ago together with a gtx960, do you think upgrading to a 1070 will produce too much bottleneck? Just aiming to play at 1080p with everything else maxed.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha *breathe* hahahahahahaa

quote:

In any case GeForce GTX 1080 only tops those charts in two benchmarks: Bitcoin Mining and Face Detection.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The thing to understand about CPU bottlenecks is that they're wildly variant from game to game and are more or less completely separate from GPU performance. The latest greatest processor might run a corridor shooter at 300 FPS and an open world game at 80. If your GPU is so strong compared to your CPU that it actually gets held back, then your CPU will most likely choke so hard on a demanding game that your GPU won't have a chance to get hit that hard to begin with.

If you have a Sandy Bridge or later CPU (and possibly even one a little older than that) I'd wait to upgrade it until you actually want to play a game it can't handle.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 15, 2016

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

oh please butters please buy up all the GP104 stock the salt will be amazing

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You know whats better than "salt"? Being able to buy a new videocard for less than 2X the msrp.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Kramjacks posted:

You know whats better than "salt"? Being able to buy a new videocard for less than 2X the msrp.
so basically, what happened to AMD cards for 2-3 years then :smugdog:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They've been doing a great job of cleaning up the back stock of Hawaii.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm glad cryptocurrency is continuing to be a baffling force for evil in the world.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

A few weeks later a mining script is released that works wonders with Pascal cards, and AMD releases Polaris 10 for a competitive price/perf that has poor optimization for the mining script. Meanwhile, in AMD headquarters, the entire company boardroom steeples their fingers in unison as Lisa Su says but one word.

"Excellent".

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Kramjacks posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also I guess the pre order people gonna make bank flipping

Alright AMD I don't know how many more chances you need but now is the time

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 15, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

A few weeks later a mining script is released that works wonders with Pascal cards, and AMD releases Polaris 10 for a competitive price/perf that has poor optimization for the mining script. Meanwhile, in AMD headquarters, the entire company boardroom steeples their fingers in unison as Lisa Su says but one word.

"Excellent".

Please let this be a thing. Please.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Isn't gpu mining not a thing anymore?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KakerMix posted:

Isn't gpu mining not a thing anymore?

yeah all the 'big boys' use specialized FPGAs now.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Some new 1080 slides http://videocardz.com/59962/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-final-specifications-and-launch-presentation

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Even if the 1080 is the best GPU by a mile for GPU, it still won't be nearly enough to cover your electricity. Specialized mining equipment has taken over for the last couple years.

Other cryptos can use the GPU, but those never last more than a few weeks before the exit scam commences.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol if AMDs async compute ace-in-the-hole they've been sitting on for 5 years gets negated after paying off in like 3 games

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Except you can't really use them for the newer!!! cryptocurrencies, causing people to go back to GPUs

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I thought they went to ASICs now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

They keep trying, again and again, to design coins that work for GPUs and not FPGAs/ASICS.

The newest coin, "etherium", is apparently set up in a way that you can mine it on GPUs most efficiently, and it has a "killswitch" coded in so it'll stop producing new coins right around the time someone would be able to develop an FPGA/ASIC for it.