Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Quake 1's single player well enough and the Stroggification scene in Quake 4 was neat. I just don't think there would be as much nostalgia for a theoretical Quake 5 single player because the single player in every Quake game is completely different from each other, unlike Doom which people do have a lot of nostalgia for the single player and people were down on Doom 3 for being completely different from the previous games.

Whereas Doom 4 obviously had a lot of care put into the singleplayer but the multiplayer is kind of tacked on and not so great, I'd imagine Quake 5 would be the opposite where the multiplayer would be strong but the singleplayer, if it even has one, would be an afterthought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

The Kins posted:

Speaking of magazine ads, this miracle of mid-90s graphic design crossed my dashboard today:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/PqtcqY5.jpg[/img]

That snake-like, winding, upside down flavor text is probably the best way of displaying it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Speaking of magazine ads, this miracle of mid-90s graphic design crossed my dashboard today:

I remember playing that game in the top left screenshot, I think it was on an old PC Format demo CD. It was pretty bad but something about it is conjuring up immense nostalgia :)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would like another game in Quake 2/4/Wars' setting. I can't get enough of the bargain-bin Borg :3:

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Quake 1's single player well enough and the Stroggification scene in Quake 4 was neat. I just don't think there would be as much nostalgia for a theoretical Quake 5 single player because the single player in every Quake game is completely different from each other, unlike Doom which people do have a lot of nostalgia for the single player and people were down on Doom 3 for being completely different from the previous games.

Whereas Doom 4 obviously had a lot of care put into the singleplayer but the multiplayer is kind of tacked on and not so great, I'd imagine Quake 5 would be the opposite where the multiplayer would be strong but the singleplayer, if it even has one, would be an afterthought.

I feel like the lack of nostalgia could work in a Quake reboot's favour. It seems to me that a Doom game has so many identities to live up to in a sequel/reboot. Quake does not have that problem, it's more synonymous with the gameplay aspects like strafejumping/rocketjumping, and it's mazy leveldesign, and of course the multiplayer. There's room to redefine Quake in a singleplayer setting without trampling over a legacy that people clamor to. Personally i liked the idea of lovecraftian horrors in Q1 and there are places to go with that. I'd be interested in a Q1-style game with enviromental storytelling and lore focus so the story doesn't force you out of the rhythm of the gameplay.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Convex posted:

"Bob, any thoughts on this Shrak ad?"
"How about a giant bug?"
"A bug?"
"Well that or another horse pic, I dunno"

The website is still up.
http://www.shrak.com/shrak.html

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Kins posted:

Let us not forget the very greatest GCS game: https://web.archive.org/web/20010202144800/http://www.hummersoftware.com/BATTLESH.EXE
(Requires DOS to run, review at https://web.archive.org/web/20050211201705/http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=215 )

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just beat Doom 4. Awesome. Next game needs to be a Hell on Earth scenario god drat it. I mean I GUESS I can play Hellbound ONE MORE TIME.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

I remember devouring every word of this ad. :allears:

I think I managed to acquire a Doom editor shortly thereafter. I can't remember the name of it, but it was a hateful POS that would randomly corrupt your levels.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Just beat Doom 4. Awesome. Next game needs to be a Hell on Earth scenario god drat it. I mean I GUESS I can play Hellbound ONE MORE TIME.

The original version of Doom 4 was basically a Hell on Earth scenario, but with Call of Duty mechanics and cinematic style instead. Assuming they still have the assets of the original build, I wouldn't mind an expansion or sequel that uses those assets but tweaked to fit the gameplay style of the final build.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Would anyone mind spoiling which level in rf 1024 takes you to map 33? I'm terrible at finding secrets in this wad. :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuel Clemens posted:

Thankfully, the levels get a bit easier from that point onwards. At least until you reach map 22.

Okay I'm there now. Map 16 was just hard, but map 22 is rage inducing. I was practically at the end once but then learned that the BFG1024 causes splash damage the hard way. Some point after that I was making a mad dash to the exit with invincibility and ended up getting launched off the pillars by an archvile. Cramming six or seven of those assholes in such a small space is really mean.

Edit: After at least two dozen attempts I decided to skip it. What an atrocious map in an otherwise great wad.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 15, 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Cute little mini Doom game for those of us with lovely rear end PCs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i0AYHCWRTI

http://calavera.studio/en/games/minidoom/

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

I can't remember if it was here or on another site, but someone had a brilliant idea, where it starts off as seemingly another Quake 2 sequel, but after a couple missions, some dimensional crap happens, and Quake 1 enemies start appearing and slaughter most of the Strogg and Human forces on the world it's on, leading to the handful of survivors of both factions having to work together to beat back Shub-Niggurath/Quake's armies before they can spread to the rest of the universe
That was probably me, though I didn't suggest the Strogg teaming up with anyone. More like you're a lone marine caught in the crossfire between a full-out Shub-Niggurath/Strogg war. Both sides will not hesitate to shoot at you, if they're not pre-occupied with shooting each other.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Look at all that carnage :hellyeah: I'll keep an eye out for this :)

Scientific fact: at sufficiently high densities, Nazis flow like a liquid.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

laserghost posted:

Cute little mini Doom game for those of us with lovely rear end PCs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i0AYHCWRTI

http://calavera.studio/en/games/minidoom/

Abuse was cool and I'm okay with it receiving a Doom skin.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I think that ahoy video was pretty god drat gay. And not in a homophobic way, just so very gay. Ahoy is more concerned with ornate flowery prose than infotainment.
I'm rolling my eyes so hard that my eyes are turning gay.

Rule of thumb: If you could replace 'gay' with 'friend of the family' and it'd be an insult to black people, it's in a homophobic way. Like this.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

I think errant signal is way better anyway, but that guy has probably actually taken one course in literature or film science. Ahoy doesnt ever analyze anything, there is literally no depth to his videos. I dont get how you can call his poo poo leagues above anything at all.

Soothing voice rambling contentlessly about nothing is way above most of youtube. He could talk about what he had for breakfast for an hour and it'd still be better than most of Youtube.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 15, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
That doesn't make grammatical sense, though? You just wanted to use that word in a sentence, didn't you.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

The Kins posted:

That doesn't make grammatical sense, though? You just wanted to use that word in a sentence, didn't you.

"Niggeriffic" then. The idea is still that just because it's a slightly less charged slur doesn't mean you can sling it around like candy and claim not to be homophobic.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Keiya posted:

Rule of thumb: If you could replace 'gay' with 'friend of the family' and it'd be an insult to black people, it's in a homophobic way. Like this.

Soothing voice rambling contentlessly about nothing is way above most of youtube. He could talk about what he had for breakfast for an hour and it'd still be better than most of Youtube.

I think that ahoy video was pretty god drat friend of the family. And not in a racist way, just so very friend of the family. Ahoy is more concerned with ornate flowery prose than infotainment.
I'm rolling my eyes so hard that my eyes are turning friend of the family.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Why Romero

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Replace gay with "big thick juicy dude" now

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Douk Douk posted:

Why Romero

Mods rename me to Big Thick Juicy Dude. Thank you.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

unpacked robinhood posted:

Replace gay with "big thick juicy dude" now

I'm kinda ashamed of that post by now though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I only now just noticed how much the main character of Daikatana was meant to physically resemble Romero.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Mak0rz posted:

Abuse was cool and I'm okay with it receiving a Doom skin.

Oh man, I'm still waiting for proper re-release of Abuse, or at least a working source port. There are few games which tried to emulate it, the closest came Genocide, later rebranded for budget re-release as G-Squad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IZKhXkDIVU

Transhuman Design (of King Arthur's Gold and Trench Run) is working on a very similar game, Butcher, which also has a playable in-browser demo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Look at how hilariously bad Call of Duty idiots are at the new Doom. PC lead platform? A mouse? I don't need that, just give me my trusty old Xbox controller.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

Look at how hilariously bad Call of Duty idiots are at the new Doom. PC lead platform? A mouse? I don't need that, just give me my trusty old Xbox controller.

This looks more like a PC player who's being forced to play an FPS on a controller.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arivia posted:

Holy Moly its actually kind of refreshing to see a massive budget first person shooter where the game is so fast a gamepad is barely up to the task.

No offense to my console brethren, I hope the game has good autoaim!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mak0rz posted:

Okay I'm there now. Map 16 was just hard, but map 22 is rage inducing. I was practically at the end once but then learned that the BFG1024 causes splash damage the hard way. Some point after that I was making a mad dash to the exit with invincibility and ended up getting launched off the pillars by an archvile. Cramming six or seven of those assholes in such a small space is really mean.

I wasn't a big fan of map 22 either, but I do like its ammo balance. On pistol start, it seems like you have just barely enough bullets to deal with the hordes as long as you don't miss many shots. It adds an additional layer of strategy to the map, making it very tense in parts.

I'd say the maps after 22 are a bit easier again, though the Archvile abuse definitely gets pretty bad. Map 23 in particular has one area just before the end that killed me more than anything else in the wad.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

khwarezm posted:

Holy Moly its actually kind of refreshing to see a massive budget first person shooter where the game is so fast a gamepad is barely up to the task.

In this case it's probably just whoever at Polygon there is bad at games. I'm playing it on PC, and I'm no lawyer, but I think this is not the strongest evidence. I'm sure there's some vid on youtube of somebody aiming more competently than that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Arivia posted:

Not even people playing with a controller at that bad. I think the person playing this has only one hand and it has arthritis. And also only has one eye so their depth perception is screwed. And never played a video game in their life before. That's the only way anyone could possibly be this terrible.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wasn't a big fan of map 22 either, but I do like its ammo balance. On pistol start, it seems like you have just barely enough bullets to deal with the hordes as long as you don't miss many shots. It adds an additional layer of strategy to the map, making it very tense in parts.

I'd say the maps after 22 are a bit easier again, though the Archvile abuse definitely gets pretty bad. Map 23 in particular has one area just before the end that killed me more than anything else in the wad.

Yeah I've been pistol starting the whole thing too. I noticed that, with effort, you can lower the invincibility platform before hitting any switches and then grab it after lowering the red skull. Even then I'm unable to get anywhere in that loving map.

That part in map 23 is kind of annoying but you just need to get out of That Hallway before things get a little too hot.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 15, 2016

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

loga mira posted:

I put my Quake guns mod up on MODBB, hopefully in the right category because its confusing:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/alternative-gun-models-for-quake

Small fixes and adjustments, detailed world models, Doom plasma gun for Armagon, optional Quake-style super nailgun, different thunderbolt, Daikatana skull staff also an option. No video but I put some screens on there, and made a collage of world models

textures are extra misaligned here because the mdl importer puts uv coordinates at random pixel corners instead of keeping them centered, only noticed that after making the image.

Installation is mostly the same I thnk. I remade the muzzle flares on nailguns so they now look good or better in DP/S8 than in Spasm/Fitz.

This is really loving good.

Making some visible weapons using your stuff in my mod.

c0burn fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 15, 2016

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Arivia posted:

It says "first 30 minutes" maybe they meant it was their first 30 minutes playing videogames.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

khwarezm posted:

No autoaim, just some slight tracking assistance to make circle-strafing smoother. Weapons always fire exactly where the crosshair is pointed, and there's no aim-down-sights lockon like in Call of Duty. The player in the video is just astoundingly bad - my first playthrough was on PS4, on Ultra-Violence, and while I died occasionally it was usually because I did something stupid like run backwards off a cliff or not realize there's a mancubus shooting at me.

Nightmare mode is pretty brutal though and I might need to upgrade to PC to deal with that, but I must admit that I've gotten noticably better just playing a couple of levels on that difficulty.

You'd be surprised how good you can get with a gamepad with a little practice.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Overbite posted:

It says "first 30 minutes" maybe they meant it was their first 30 minutes playing videogames.

They were just born and got handed a controller while the doc was cutting the umbilical.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

I've been playing the game on PS4, and while it'll probably be better with a mouse + keyboard on PC, it controls fantastically with a gamepad. It's just that whoever did that gameplay video just has no concept of how moving and aiming at the same time works. Or how a gamepad works. Or what video games are.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Arivia posted:

I'm glad I played the game before I saw this video because this would have left a severely bad taste in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I've casually thought about getting goon-filled multiplayer matches and forcing everyone involved to play with a controller. Alternatively: set up an imbalanced game (3-4 vs 1) where the larger team is playing with controllers and the single player is on mouse and keyboard.
Of note that I haven't actually touched the multiplayer, so I don't know if that second option is possible.