Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Angry Lobster posted:

Games Workshop threatened to sue a novelist for using the word "space marine" in the title of a book. In that occasion, Games Workshop backed down, but the company still defends publicly that they have common law trademark for the term "space marine" in all book formats. Knowing them, I think it's fairly possible their legal team will engage in some form of legal action for this one, the company is very overzealous about protecting their IP's.

Someone reusing their designs in what is likely a one-off occaision is drastically different from another work using (what they think) is one of their trademarks in the title, though. I mean GW probably could sue for infringement or whatever but I doubt they'd bother, really - it's not like it's drawing away customers from 40K comics or whatever. If it was a major recurring villain in a high-profile comic like Avengers they might, but not Venom of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I used the "space marine case" as an example of how absurd GW can get on cases like this, but I get your points, you're right and probably nothing will happen, especially because one thing is bullying a no-name author and another one is picking a fight with Marvel/Disney. However, the fact that the author of a Marvel comic has straight up copied (even the color scheme!) a design owned by GW stands, heck, even in the FASA/Harmony Gold/Robotech case the "inspirations" weren't that obvious.

Here's one more panel:

They even copied the Tau symbol, Disney/Marvel is trolling GW and I find it quite amusing.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 15, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
This week BL have an iOS-only event going with a bunch of deals on apps and books. Are any of the latter worth getting? I already own First and Only.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Armageddon is great

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

boom boom boom posted:

Armageddon is great

Horus Rising

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Oh holy crap, there's a Blood Bowl book?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

One Legged Cat posted:

An omnibus even.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
comics, too

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
But are they class?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Angry Lobster posted:

Games Workshop threatened to sue a novelist for using the word "space marine" in the title of a book. In that occasion, Games Workshop backed down, but the company still defends publicly that they have common law trademark for the term "space marine" in all book formats. Knowing them, I think it's fairly possible their legal team will engage in some form of legal action for this one, the company is very overzealous about protecting their IP's.

Didn't they lose that claim which is why everything is adepteus astartes or some gothic variant?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I quite enjoyed the first blood bowl book for a dumb read but by the third(? Maybe - the British one with David beckham in it) I put them mentally in the "books you should only read after a lobotomy" category.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Erh.. I was gonna get back into 40/30k books since I haven't read any since around 2008, but..... the Ebooks on black library are more expensive than the physical copies they sell themselves?! how? why? And audiobooks for 50 loving bucks?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

Erh.. I was gonna get back into 40/30k books since I haven't read any since around 2008, but..... the Ebooks on black library are more expensive than the physical copies they sell themselves?! how? why? And audiobooks for 50 loving bucks?

Yeah, noticed ADB's story of Ragnar Blackmane was available for 23 dollars, but is half the length of his usual novels.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Games Workshop's lawyers are used to throwing out dubious lazy C&Ds to scare fansite webmasters, I'm not even sure they'd know where to start with seemingly legit claims against an entity like Marvel.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
One of the characters in that comic also wields a bolt pistol.

And yeah, Black Library's pricing pisses me off. I listen to a lot of audio books at work through audible, and on there, $25 is a very expensive book, and one that I save my monthly credit for. The gently caress is with this $50 poo poo? I admit that I did pay that price for two books that were worth it, Talon and Betrayer, but there is no way I am going to gamble that much money on a mediocre book.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Dodoman posted:

Didn't they lose that claim which is why everything is adepteus astartes or some gothic variant?

I think that was mostly in response to the Chapterhouse stuff, though the space marine trademark thing probably contributed.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

lenoon posted:

I quite enjoyed the first blood bowl book for a dumb read but by the third(? Maybe - the British one with David beckham in it) I put them mentally in the "books you should only read after a lobotomy" category.

Came here to post a similar statement. I enjoyed the first novel, and the puns were pretty drat funny (and typical of BB.) But, my God, the last one was like "poo poo - I've got a three book contract? Ok, ummm... here's a pile of cut material from the previous two books."

In other words, just read the first book.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I always thought it was some form of meta-joke at the idea of a UK company putting out an American football game :shrug:

Angry Lobster posted:

I used the "space marine case" as an example of how absurd GW can get on cases like this, but I get your points, you're right and probably nothing will happen, especially because one thing is bullying a no-name author and another one is picking a fight with Marvel/Disney. However, the fact that the author of a Marvel comic has straight up copied (even the color scheme!) a design owned by GW stands, heck, even in the FASA/Harmony Gold/Robotech case the "inspirations" weren't that obvious.
They stole those too:

From the Fear Itself run, for some reason.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I finished The Beast Arises. It did get a little better, mostly because of the Orks showing up with their Waaagh! Gates, but all-in-all, not my favorite Abnett book by a longshot. The "wall names" thing was silly, having characters named "The Beast" and "Slaughter" was stupid, since the Ork is broadcasting "I am the Beast! I am Slaughter!" (maybe it was meant to be clever or something?), and the "political intrigue" was pretty boring. I have to put this book near the bottom of the Abnett pile, along with Double Eagle (subtitled: Viffs on a Plane: The Viffening.)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Uroboros posted:

Horus Rising
Even if I have no particular intentions at this time of getting into the rest of the series?

No response from BL to my short story submission so far. As I only mailed it to them on the 28th that might not be saying anything, though, depending on how many submissions they have to work through all in all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still haven't heard back from my Black library submission. Did they email you with a confirmation they received your entry, or an email with their response? I'm wondering if I messed something up when I sent my email.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

Even if I have no particular intentions at this time of getting into the rest of the series?

Not really relevant since after a few books in they went with the standard GW move of never advance the story. It's barely a series after the first 3-4 books anyway.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still haven't heard back from my Black library submission. Did they email you with a confirmation they received your entry, or an email with their response? I'm wondering if I messed something up when I sent my email.
I never received a confirmation mail either. It's funny though – on Facebook BL claimed that everybody may not receive a response after all, while on another forum they (allegedly) wrote in a mail response to a poster there that everybody would receive a response. :shrug:

Fellblade posted:

Not really relevant since after a few books in they went with the standard GW move of never advance the story. It's barely a series after the first 3-4 books anyway.
Fair enough. Horus Rising and Armageddon it is!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't hear anything back from them until my rejection. My previous submission for the Deathwatch theme I never heard anything at all. The one thing I did notice is that you were supposed to include your contact info in your email.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jadebullet posted:

I didn't hear anything back from them until my rejection. My previous submission for the Deathwatch theme I never heard anything at all. The one thing I did notice is that you were supposed to include your contact info in your email.

Which I did include. Guess I'll just have to be patient.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

It is still good in it's own right. If you get the desire to read more just come back here before you make the mistake of reading every book, because many aren't important and many are straight up bad. BL tends to put the most important, plotwise, in the hands of more capable authors.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I finished The Beast Arises. It did get a little better, mostly because of the Orks showing up with their Waaagh! Gates, but all-in-all, not my favorite Abnett book by a longshot. The "wall names" thing was silly, having characters named "The Beast" and "Slaughter" was stupid, since the Ork is broadcasting "I am the Beast! I am Slaughter!" (maybe it was meant to be clever or something?), and the "political intrigue" was pretty boring. I have to put this book near the bottom of the Abnett pile, along with Double Eagle (subtitled: Viffs on a Plane: The Viffening.)

Yeah, I thought it was his worst book since Embedded. Still better than 80% of the Black Library, sadly. Wasn't good enough to make me want to read further entries since I knew they could only be worse.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 18, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I wanna read the Ahriman books but the first one is only on Amazon for $200. Is it digital only at this point? Ugh.

One Legged Cat posted:

I was about to say the same. But... is it good?

lenoon posted:

Figures.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I wanna read the Ahriman books but the first one is only on Amazon for $200. Is it digital only at this point? Ugh.

I was about to say the same. But... is it good?

Figures.

Uh they should have em used on amazon for like ten bux

Its a great series honestly sidnt think id enjoy it that much but it was v good

The space wolves in it are metal as fuckkkll

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I want to see GW sue Marvel/Disney.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waroduce posted:

Uh they should have em used on amazon for like ten bux

Its a great series honestly sidnt think id enjoy it that much but it was v good

The space wolves in it are metal as fuckkkll

The 2nd book onwards in the series they have available new with prime shipping for $11 or $5 used, but the first book in the series they're out of stock with I guess and literally the cheapest amazon USED copy is $50, and they skyrocket upwards from there.

Its a really lovely thing that happens on amazon, as soon as something isn't available anymore the used sellers start price gouging like CRAZY.

I tried checking ebay but the only people with copies of Exile all live in Germany?

I'm not really an eBook kinda guy :smith:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Zaphod42 posted:

The 2nd book onwards in the series they have available new with prime shipping for $11 or $5 used, but the first book in the series they're out of stock with I guess and literally the cheapest amazon USED copy is $50, and they skyrocket upwards from there.

Its a really lovely thing that happens on amazon, as soon as something isn't available anymore the used sellers start price gouging like CRAZY.

I tried checking ebay but the only people with copies of Exile all live in Germany?

Probably good, since black library hasn't clued into the whole Ebook thing yet.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Ahriman collection is actually one of the few things Black Library gets right. $30 for 3 novels and 7 short stories isn't a bad deal at all.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I like physical books too, but make the break. You'll save space, it's more convenient, and it's a lot easier to get ebooks than OOP paper copies sometimes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, Black Library got back to me. Rejected, but oh well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Khizan posted:

The Ahriman collection is actually one of the few things Black Library gets right. $30 for 3 novels and 7 short stories isn't a bad deal at all.

eBook only :(

berzerkmonkey posted:

I like physical books too, but make the break. You'll save space, it's more convenient, and it's a lot easier to get ebooks than OOP paper copies sometimes.

Yeah, I guess so. :corsair:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I guess so. :corsair:

I feel you. But, I will say this: When I made the switch, I realized that I had shelves of books that I had read once, and I would likely never read again. I was able to clear those shelves and regain a lot of space. Also, I can literally carry my entire library on a device that's slightly larger than my cellphone - don't like this book? Then just switch to another one! I can also read in the dark - I don't do it often, but if I want to, I can read in bed without turning on the lamp and annoying my wife.

I will concede that the Kindle doesn't feel the same as a real book, and my hands still feel weird holding it versus the real thing - I just can't quite get comfortable. I know it sounds insane, but there is something about the thinness and size of the Kindle that just causes my hands to feel like they just aren't working properly.

As an aside, gaming PDFs are spectacular on a tablet ( I do not recommend a tablet for ebooks though,) especially if you're the type of person who likes to read game books, but doesn't really play a lot. For instance, I've got the Call of Cthulhu, D&D, Pathfinder, and Warhammer Codexes and Army Books all on my tablet. Guess what I don't have taking up tons space on my bookshelves.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I don't have a tablet or a kindle though and don't want one, so its either my phone or my laptop and neither is really ideal. I guess I'd go with phone? Hrm.

I like the feel of dead trees. But if this is the only way to get the book without spending $50 then I guess that's that. (Or maybe I just won't read it :v: considering skipping the first book since book 2 and 3 are both available for cheap on hardcopy)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't have a tablet or a kindle though and don't want one, so its either my phone or my laptop and neither is really ideal. I guess I'd go with phone? Hrm.

I like the feel of dead trees. But if this is the only way to get the book without spending $50 then I guess that's that. (Or maybe I just won't read it :v: considering skipping the first book since book 2 and 3 are both available for cheap on hardcopy)

Yeah, phone is your best bet, though it's not highly recommended, just because of the screen size.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Bigger phones actually work pretty well. The screen on my S7 isn't much smaller than the page of a paperback and has been where I do most of my reading these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can pick up a perfectly serviceable early gen kindle on eBay for nothing these days, they really are rather good once you give them a chance