Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

We are all dumb here friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
speak for yourself

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Any accountants in the house? We've hit the end of our fixed rate for our home loan, and the fixed rates the bank is offering over x years is way better than the variable rate.

I always thought the variable was riskier but lower. Seems currently that going fixed is an absolute no-brainer, especially since rates can barely go any lower.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Any accountants in the house? We've hit the end of our fixed rate for our home loan, and the fixed rates the bank is offering over x years is way better than the variable rate.

I always thought the variable was riskier but lower. Seems currently that going fixed is an absolute no-brainer, especially since rates can barely go any lower.

As always when you are choosing between fixed and variable, you are betting that you can predict the market better than the big banks. Rates can and probably will go down atleast another 25 points as the government leaves it to the RBA to kick start the economy.

Fixed rates can give you piece of mind, but the best advice that I can give is to make noises about wanting to switch to another lender (Ubank is always a good threat). They will usually knock down your interest rate by a good whack to keep your business

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Or just meet with a broker, I got a better deal that my existing bank wouldn't match. Cost a little bit to refinance with the new account setup fees etc, but you'll make it back in no time with interest savings. I'm on 4.17% if that's any incentive to change..

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cheers for the advice folks, that clears it up :)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Who would be in your fantasy federal government? Here's mine

If it is possible to have a fantasy government, this is mine. Bearing little relationship to reality, it adopts one of the few advantages American politics has over ours – that the cabinet doesn't have to come from government MPs or the legislature at all. A leader can, within reason, pick who she likes.

If it were complete fantasy, and the Prime Minister didn't have to be Australian, on the shortlist would be the progressives Barack Obama, Helen Clark, and Justin Trudeau. Obama is a proven and inspirational leader in the face is implacable opposition, and is almost out of a job. Clark is straightforwardly effective, yet unlikely to get the job she deserves as UN Secretary-General. Trudeau is a more successful example of multilingual progressive leader than Australia's recent disastrous foray into that genre.

But a leader needs some connection to the country, so for prime minister, I pick the incumbent. In spite of his disappointing first six months in the job, I still hope Malcolm Turnbull can become the leader Australia craves after years of political infighting. His potential remains unrealised and constrained by the hard right, but PM he can stay.

His modest move to limit superannuation rorts shows he can move against vested interests in favour of the national one. He is no national embarrassment, and that is an improvement on the two men who proceeded him.

The deputy needs to be a serious potential leader, so Barnaby Joyce must make way for Tanya Plibersek, a rare politician you would trust to get on with it without fuss or drama. Joyce can keep agriculture, and Tony Windsor can have the regional Australia portfolio; that ought to make cabinet meetings entertaining.

Julie Bishop stays in foreign affairs, given her decent performance and longevity as deputy to multiple Liberal leaders, demonstrating an aptitude for remaining onside with the winner, whoever it might be.

Scott Morrison won't do as Treasurer. Despite the capability of Labor's Chris Bowen, who wrote a book on Australian treasurers showing no potential audience is too small for his efforts, I would pick former Treasury secretary, Ken Henry, a calm, able, and persuasive holder of the purse strings the country needs.

I'm renaming the Treasurer's deputy, Victorian Liberal Kelly O'Dwyer, the minister of revenue, to concentrate on stopping the income lost to tax rorts - including the ridiculous tax subsidy for extra houses known as negative gearing.

For attorney-general, supposedly the protector of the law and freedoms from government encroachment, I would ignore the long odds against tempting a High Court judge off the bench and ask Virginia Bell to replace George Brandis. A former solicitor with the Redfern Legal Centre and long-standing judge, she is a stellar lawyer who appreciates the struggles of ordinary people.

The Health Minister, Sussan Ley, would stay given her adept management of a difficult portfolio, and because she's a Nigerian-born former commercial pilot, air traffic controller, farmer, and tax official. Australia would be better if more country women ran the place.
Also staying is western Sydney moderate Marise Payne in Defence, who put the lie to Tony Abbott's apparent view there were few Liberal women of cabinet ability.

For social services, I would go outside politics to Gail Kelly, the former Westpac chief executive. Her story (migrant, working mother, teller-to-the-boss career) and deft appreciation for numbers would bring an informed, realistic humanity to the government department closest to struggling Australians.

For education, David Gonski. Too often, the head of an expensive and detailed inquiry is discarded once the report is filed. His plan for fairer and better education is the soundest way to boost future economic performance, and should be his for the implementing.

Replacing Greg Hunt in environment might be a sweet gig – anyone would seem better – but the task is huge: to convince Australians of the need for a market mechanism to convert the country from a dirty energy polluter. We need the sales pitch; I pick Tim Flannery.

In immigration, the source of such destruction of people's souls and Australia's reputation, we need a practical centrist with sympathy, and an out-size sense of civic duty. Someone with the respect of all sides of politics, who knows the details of this intractable issue. Fortunately, we have such a person: Sir Angus Houston. The former chief of the defence force chaired the expert panel into asylum seekers.

Pat Dodson, Labor's newest senator, should be minister for Indigenous affairs. It ought to be taken that the portfolio should be held by a member of the communities it seeks to assist. Not having an Indigenous Australian as the minister ought to be as ridiculous as having a male minister for women. Dodson would perform admirably in many portfolios, but he is perfect for this one.

For communications, I pick Penny Wong, a formidable politician who, despite failing to deliver marriage equality under a Labor government, would ensure Australia joined modernity without a $160 million straw poll. She's a friend of the ABC, and can pick apart the facile arguments of its commercial media rivals.

For infrastructure and transport, Labor's Anthony Albanese. Albo represents one of the most congested electorates in the country in inner-west Sydney, and backs the fast train plain linking the eastern capitals.
Finally, the last of the most important posts would go to retired Labor elder John Faulkner as special minister of state, brought back to increase political integrity, including cleaning up federal political donations. No government, fantasy or real, can achieve much without the respect of the electorate. Australia needs him back.

Okay Fairfax. Sure...:stare:

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

What? Turnbull over Obama?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't see why the PM couldn't appoint advisors from outside the government to do 90% of the work a minister does now.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Australia’s gay marriage movement masquerades as a successor to yesterday’s great social reform movements, but on closer look we find that any such comparison is an insult to the Suffragist and the Civil Rights movements.

In the years ahead Australians will have to decide whether to preserve an institution that has served them well for many centuries, or to redefine that institution to satisfy a small minority of activists who are already blessed with equal rights.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Nothing in those 2 sentences makes any sense...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SKY COQ posted:

Australia’s gay marriage movement masquerades as a successor to yesterday’s great social reform movements, but on closer look we find that any such comparison is an insult to the Suffragist and the Civil Rights movements.

In the years ahead Australians will have to decide whether to preserve an institution that has served them well for many centuries, or to redefine that institution to satisfy a small minority of activists who are already blessed with equal rights.

It's amazing and depressing to me that not only are we behind the United States and pretty much the entirety of Europe on gay marriage of all things, but that people are trying so hard to knock it back.

Seriously, for gently caress's sake. This is literally the easiest, plainest issue I've ever seen, and we're still waffling about passing gay marriage?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cleretic posted:

It's amazing and depressing to me that not only are we behind the United States and pretty much the entirety of Europe on gay marriage of all things, but that people are trying so hard to knock it back.

Seriously, for gently caress's sake. This is literally the easiest, plainest issue I've ever seen, and we're still waffling about passing gay marriage?

Are we though? It seems like one of those issues barely anyone on the right actually gives a poo poo about, but know that their side is supposed to oppose.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
Yeah, does seem like a token disagreement.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
what about the stuff where gay folks in a civil union don't have the same rights as a married couple

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Quadrant’s literary editor and poet Les Murray. The magazine’s editor, Keith Windschuttle, has berated the Australia Council for funding rival literary magazines the Australian Book Review, the Griffith Review and Overland while ending the funding of Quadrant. Photograph: Alan Porritt/AAP

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Les Murray and Peter Dutton, clearly both toes growing from the same foot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Are we though? It seems like one of those issues barely anyone on the right actually gives a poo poo about, but know that their side is supposed to oppose.

They care enough about it to not just pass it, and have quite clearly attempted to set things up to pretend to be progressive while not actually having to, god forbid, pass the thing with 70% public approval (they have opted instead to let the far-right wingnuts in their own party kneecap a fantastic LGBT service because they made up scary things about them). And it's not like the nominally left-wing party didn't have a term or two in recent years to do it themselves.

Yes, it's inevitable, and yes I'm going to be out at literally the gayest party I'll ever have a chance to go to when it happens. But we really shouldn't be behind America on this one, and we really shouldn't still be seeing positions like that rear end in a top hat's being given such major platforms.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Luckily the other Les Murray makes up for him.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

The man who stood outside the doorfield of the Baron's bedchamber was low built, gross of face and body, with the Harkonnen paternal line's narrow-set eyes and bulge of shoulders. There was yet some rigidity in his fat, but it was obvious to the eye that he'd come one day to the portable suspensors for carrying his excess weight.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Cleretic posted:

They care enough about it to not just pass it, and have quite clearly attempted to set things up to pretend to be progressive while not actually having to, god forbid, pass the thing with 70% public approval (they have opted instead to let the far-right wingnuts in their own party kneecap a fantastic LGBT service because they made up scary things about them). And it's not like the nominally left-wing party didn't have a term or two in recent years to do it themselves.

Yes, it's inevitable, and yes I'm going to be out at literally the gayest party I'll ever have a chance to go to when it happens. But we really shouldn't be behind America on this one, and we really shouldn't still be seeing positions like that rear end in a top hat's being given such major platforms.

Yeah essentially what I was saying is that, even without the actual legal equality, we're at least not behind America in the actual attitudes towards gay people. We don't have religious nutters sending their kids to pray the gay away torture camps (that I'm aware of?) This recent spate of homophobia just looks like reaction.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anidav posted:

So is Shorten sneakily wedging towards dropping penalty rates or are they just being polite in waiting for the independent review?

Considering it's the Labor Party I'd say they may end up following the (suspected) recommendation that Sunday penalty rates be dropped to match Saturday rates, and thus once again please nobody and piss off everybody.

Cleretic posted:

I think there's a lot of older Australians who probably still have an attitude towards gay people that's something like "I don't mind what they get up to as long as it's behind CLOSED DOORS."

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

KingEup posted:

The man who stood outside the doorfield of the Baron's bedchamber was low built, gross of face and body, with the Harkonnen paternal line's narrow-set eyes and bulge of shoulders. There was yet some rigidity in his fat, but it was obvious to the eye that he'd come one day to the portable suspensors for carrying his excess weight.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Luckily the other Les Murray makes up for him.

jfc what do they teach in schools these days

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So the Terrorgraph, Pyne and Morrison are all campaigning for Albanese in Grayndler but yes we should definitely look out for the greens making dirty deals with the liberals.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

V for Vegas posted:

jfc what do they teach in schools these days

As he emerged from the shadows, his figure took on dimension -- grossly and immensely fat. And with subtle bulges beneath folds of his dark robes to reveal that all this fat was sustained partly by portable suspensors harnessed to his flesh. He might weigh two hundred Standard kilos in actuality, but his feet would carry no more than fifty of them. "I am hungry," the Baron rumbled, and he rubbed his protruding lips with a beringed hand, stared down at Feyd-Rautha through fat-enfolded eyes. "Send for food, my darling. We will eat before we retire."

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah essentially what I was saying is that, even without the actual legal equality, we're at least not behind America in the actual attitudes towards gay people. We don't have religious nutters sending their kids to pray the gay away torture camps (that I'm aware of?) This recent spate of homophobia just looks like reaction.

serious question - are there any legal differences currently between same-sex defacto couples and male/female married couples? I do remember there was the couple where one partner couldn't be listed as the "official" partner in a hospital, but I'm ignorant as to what other legal issues remain. I know many of the religious groups argue the "destruction of society/institutions" route, but even as a believer I have issues with that line of reasoning. Considering the job heterosexuals have done on "destroying the institute" themselves this doesn't sway me much at all.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
70% support only matters when you actually put it to people. gently caress plebiscites, put it in a referendum.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

ahmeni posted:

70% support only matters when you actually put it to people. gently caress plebiscites, put it in a referendum.

they won't do this because they know they'd get smashed

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress a referendum, just pass the law. The idea of the majority of the population voting on it actually pisses me off - I mean, what would everybody's opinion be if 70% were against it?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
That Kieth Windschuttle is so dreamy! I hope he's single, because he's quite a catch. Although, I 'm not sure whether to kiss him or pull out my biggest gun and pop off a few rounds hoping his stomach opens for a QTE.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Seagull posted:

they won't do this because they know they'd get smashed

They don't even want to do the plebiscite due to this reason. People will start to get belligerent and expect them to act on it if there is popular support :cry:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Solemn Sloth posted:

So the Terrorgraph, Pyne and Morrison are all campaigning for Albanese in Grayndler but yes we should definitely look out for the greens making dirty deals with the liberals.

I'm pretty sure Pyne and ALBO are close friends outside politics I remember reading that they frequently dine together.

It atleast makes sense for Pyne. It helps ALBO; his friend and it helps his campaign because it makes him seems bipartisan.

I'm pretty sure there's footage somewhere of ALBO giving Pyne a Noogie at a bar after the Rudd 2013 spill.

Dunno what the gently caress Morrison is doing though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

I'm pretty sure Pyne and ALBO are close friends outside politics I remember reading that they frequently dine together.

It atleast makes sense for Pyne. It helps ALBO; his friend and it helps his campaign because it makes him seems bipartisan.

I'm pretty sure there's footage somewhere of ALBO giving Pyne a Noogie at a bar after the Rudd 2013 spill.

Dunno what the gently caress Morrison is doing though.

Which is especially funny given albaneses "I fight Tories" bullshit

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ewwww, a puff piece on Sophie Mirabella on 730 :barf:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

freebooter posted:

gently caress a referendum, just pass the law. The idea of the majority of the population voting on it actually pisses me off - I mean, what would everybody's opinion be if 70% were against it?

Well I'd be angrier at different people in that case. My opinion wouldn't change too significantly though, unless you count 'gently caress them, pass it' to be appreciably different from 'gently caress you, pass it'.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

chyaroh posted:

serious question - are there any legal differences currently between same-sex defacto couples and male/female married couples? I do remember there was the couple where one partner couldn't be listed as the "official" partner in a hospital, but I'm ignorant as to what other legal issues remain. I know many of the religious groups argue the "destruction of society/institutions" route, but even as a believer I have issues with that line of reasoning. Considering the job heterosexuals have done on "destroying the institute" themselves this doesn't sway me much at all.
There's a few differences, one being that other countries don't recognise defacto relationships in the same way that Australia does. Another being that a defacto couple must live a certain period of time together before they are deemed to have legal rights.

Having a marriage certificate is an irrefutable way to prove that connection on a legal basis, where as defacto is much harder to prove in instances where one party isn't present or is unable to confirm the relationship (i.e in a coma/unconscious in hospital).

Source: http://www.australianmarriageequality.org/faqs/the-legal-benefits-that-come-with-marriage/

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

lmao i always thought he'd look like this

quote:

yeah but he's not a person. look at those dead eyes and eye rings under them.

whatever was human left that body long ago

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Are we doing this?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Solemn Sloth posted:

Which is especially funny given albaneses "I fight Tories" bullshit

Does that really preclude having friends across the political divide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

You are not allowed to be friends with people who think different to you

• Locked thread