Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Geostomp posted:

The Citadel invasion was what pissed me off. Saren needed an army of geth, krogan clones, and access to a super-secret backdoor to do it, but somehow Cerberus manages to storm the city sized station in a few hours and just up an leaves without losing anything meaningful.
Cerberus had Udina and plenty of other infiltrators on the inside; enough to send a strike force to attack the Presidium directly. Attacking a STG base on the Salarian homeworld is the one that really beggars belief, even if we're willing to assume they duplicated the Normandy's stealth tech.

There's plenty about Cerberus that stretches disbelief, it's just not always what people are crowing about. They could have spelled out more clearly that Cerberus is sweeping up support from disaffected colonists the Alliance ignored and failed to protect, and toward the end of the game they could easily have put together a large army thanks to indoctrination tech and said colonists.

(I also wonder how The Illusive Man got to be Warren BuffetBill Gates rich without anyone knowing who the gently caress he is. That sticks out to me a lot more than a successful attack on the Presidium. It's probably explained in the novels and comics, none of which I've read.)

This kind of thing instantly pushes a lot people's buttons, me included, because you can find a thousand "plot holes" in any sci-fi or fantasy media if you meticulously go through it, interpreting every single plot point in the most unfavourable way possible, in order to declare that it's dumb and bad and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

SciFiDownBeat posted:

agreed. I'd also add plot and villian and setpieces

Benezia is one of the worst characters in the series imo. 2 & 3 improved more than they lost in my opinion when it comes to character. Music was pretty good though.

Get the feeling a lot of people like ME1 because it's the furthest away from the Reaper story, and you can almost pretend you're playing just a procedural set in space.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mazerunner posted:

If ME:A's combat and multiplayer is as good as or better than 3's then I may commit the gravest of sins, and buy it just for multiplayer and never touch the singleplayer.

it IS going to have multiplayer, right?

I'm really really hoping for Mass Effect multiplayer on a system actually built to handle it from the outset.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Have there been any hints about multiplayer in Andromeda?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Tirranek posted:

Get the feeling a lot of people like ME1 because it's the furthest away from the Reaper story, and you can almost pretend you're playing just a procedural set in space.

It's the only one that is actually about the reaper story.

ME2 is about building a team and fighting the collectors.
ME3 is about fighting cerberus while reapers are destroying everything.
ME1 is about discovering the reapers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spacebump posted:

Have there been any hints about multiplayer in Andromeda?

It will feature cutting-edge barrel exploding technology.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I see a lot of back-and-forth going on in this thread right now, but I wonder, have you guys ever considered the point: Mass Effect owns.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

El Tortuga posted:

I see a lot of back-and-forth going on in this thread right now, but I wonder, have you guys ever considered the point: Mass Effect owns.

a bold strategy, let's see how it works out for him

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Halloween Jack posted:

Cerberus had Udina and plenty of other infiltrators on the inside; enough to send a strike force to attack the Presidium directly. Attacking a STG base on the Salarian homeworld is the one that really beggars belief, even if we're willing to assume they duplicated the Normandy's stealth tech.

There's plenty about Cerberus that stretches disbelief, it's just not always what people are crowing about. They could have spelled out more clearly that Cerberus is sweeping up support from disaffected colonists the Alliance ignored and failed to protect, and toward the end of the game they could easily have put together a large army thanks to indoctrination tech and said colonists.

(I also wonder how The Illusive Man got to be Warren BuffetBill Gates rich without anyone knowing who the gently caress he is. That sticks out to me a lot more than a successful attack on the Presidium. It's probably explained in the novels and comics, none of which I've read.)

This kind of thing instantly pushes a lot people's buttons, me included, because you can find a thousand "plot holes" in any sci-fi or fantasy media if you meticulously go through it, interpreting every single plot point in the most unfavourable way possible, in order to declare that it's dumb and bad and wrong.

With or without Udina the vast majority of the Citadel's population, politicians and security are not humans and its pretty clear a lot of the humans there would have nothing to do with them on any level, there's a bunch of C-sec humans blasting away at Cerberus when they attack. How was it even meant to go down? Hmm, the entire council was just killed by a notorious terrorist, human supremacist collective, except for the one human, who himself is a notorious human supremacist! OH WELL, I GUESS HE'S IN CHARGE NOW.

Also I don't buy the stealth explanation because stealth doesn't work that way, in universe or otherwise.

I find this sort of thing annoying in Mass Effect because its the kind of series that puts on airs about being more 'serious' sci fi than most videogames, and generally seemed to try to hold itself to some kind of standard where there was at least an explanation for most things. This was never really expunged from the game's DNA, hence you have ill advised things like an in-universe attempt to explain why everyone has to reload their guns now. If this was a game like Doom nobody would care, but Mass Effect sets itself up to be a series where the world building and story matters, until it doesn't, because we need to find a way to crowbar in my anime ninja. Its trying to have its cake and eat it and it does not work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

khwarezm posted:

With or without Udina the vast majority of the Citadel's population, politicians and security are not humans and its pretty clear a lot of the humans there would have nothing to do with them on any level, there's a bunch of C-sec humans blasting away at Cerberus when they attack. How was it even meant to go down? Hmm, the entire council was just killed by a notorious terrorist, human supremacist collective, except for the one human, who himself is a notorious human supremacist! OH WELL, I GUESS HE'S IN CHARGE NOW.

Also I don't buy the stealth explanation because stealth doesn't work that way, in universe or otherwise.

I find this sort of thing annoying in Mass Effect because its the kind of series that puts on airs about being more 'serious' sci fi than most videogames, and generally seemed to try to hold itself to some kind of standard where there was at least an explanation for most things. This was never really expunged from the game's DNA, hence you have ill advised things like an in-universe attempt to explain why everyone has to reload their guns now. If this was a game like Doom nobody would care, but Mass Effect sets itself up to be a series where the world building and story matters, until it doesn't, because we need to find a way to crowbar in my anime ninja. Its trying to have its cake and eat it and it does not work.

One of the big problems with ME2/3 is that apparently the Citadel's population, politicians and security are now mostly human? I mean, thats what you are shown in game at least. The invasion of the Citadel is the worst part, its all humans with a pair of token alien hostages.

The in universe explanation for thermal clips was especially dumb considering they completely changed the way biotic and tech powers worked without the same sort of explanation.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

hobbesmaster posted:

One of the big problems with ME2/3 is that apparently the Citadel's population, politicians and security are now mostly human? I mean, thats what you are shown in game at least. The invasion of the Citadel is the worst part, its all humans with a pair of token alien hostages.

The in universe explanation for thermal clips was especially dumb considering they completely changed the way biotic and tech powers worked without the same sort of explanation.

Basically EVERYTHING about ME2/3 other than the character building was bad. Tuchanka was good but full of bad, too, at the same time.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

El Tortuga posted:

Despite thinking some parts are pretty dumb, I agree with this :love:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waltzing Along posted:

Basically EVERYTHING about ME2/3 other than the character building was bad. Tuchanka was good but full of bad, too, at the same time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Vitamin P posted:

I just did Grissom Academy and killed 99 Cerberus mooks in that one mission. You are vastly underestimating how many the game throws at you in combat sections.

My dad killed ten thousand Cerberus Troops and he's tall enough to pick up an ox in the palm of his hand.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
No lie, humans suddenly being Really Important For Some Reason in ME2/3 is the worst part of the series for me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Mymla posted:

No lie, humans suddenly being Really Important For Some Reason in ME2/3 is the worst part of the series for me.

A human basically single-handedly killed Sovereign (with the helpful involvement of a human fleet) after being a persistent thorn in his side including, but not limited to, making his indoctrinated thrall kill himself.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mymla posted:

haha did you really not understand the reason why

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

El Tortuga posted:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Vitamin P posted:

I just did Grissom Academy and killed 99 Cerberus mooks in that one mission. You are vastly underestimating how many the game throws at you in combat sections.
Looks like someone's playing on hard mode.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I've been watching a lot of Marvel movies lately and it occurred to me that Cerberus and Hydra have a lot in common. They alternate between being secret terrorists and some superpowerful nation-state with swarms of loyal-to-the-death ultra-nationalists, all depending on which part of the story we're in.

But really, they're just there so that the good guys have human-like enemies since it's a bit boring if they're always fighting monsters or robots.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
If Cerberus is the al-qaeda/isis of space, why wasn't Shepard greeted by a junked up Toyota Hilux with booster rockets strapped to it at the start of ME2?!?!1

I like all three games, but I really miss the cool music that ME1 had. That set the atmosphere immensely for me, and I can only hope Andromeda features more of Sam Hulicks stuff.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Reading all the planet descriptions listening to that sweet Galaxy Map song was my favourite thing to do in the first game.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I had to listen to Vigil again just now, because I loving love that piece. It really sets up the game, being the startup music in ME1.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Reading all the planet descriptions listening to that sweet Galaxy Map song was my favourite thing to do in the first game.

I'm doubleposting here, but Mass Effect 1 feels more like a proper successor to Starflight/Star Control with the bigger focus on exploring and landing on planets, even though the planets themselves are bryce'd up deadlands 99% of the time and the other 1% you find a weird prothean marble off the edge.

But it sure felt like I was 12 again and exploring space, I never got that with 2 or 3. :(

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Keru posted:

If Cerberus is the al-qaeda/isis of space

The more accurate analogy is that Cerberus is the CIA of space.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Lt. Danger posted:

The more accurate analogy is that Cerberus is the CIA of space.

So they'd supply the Reapers with Toyota Hiluxes? I'm confused now.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Keru posted:

So they'd supply the Reapers with Toyota Hiluxes? I'm confused now.
They tried to embarrass the Reaperkid to death by slipping red sand into his apple sauce.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

El Tortuga posted:

I completely agree with this. I dont think i've played a game series i've loved as much as Mass Effect, despite all its flaws. It just hits the right notes for me.

My biggest fear for Andromeda is that it will be something like the Witcher 3 or DA:Inquisition. I really dislike the open world stuff. Give me a hub with places to travel to and missions in big but closed-off spaces anytime.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If Cerberus is ISIS, does that make Conrad Werner Caro?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

MA-Horus posted:

If Cerberus is ISIS, does that make Conrad Werner Caro?

:vince:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tirranek posted:

Benezia is one of the worst characters in the series imo. 2 & 3 improved more than they lost in my opinion when it comes to character. Music was pretty good though.

excuse me sir, breastnezia is my favorite character!

in seriousness, I was referring to the main villian. saren is just too drat cool for school. and I don't know what you're talking about with me1 being the furthest from the reaper story. me1 is the reaper story. if anything I'd say that about 2--additionally I think 2 is a lot more of a "procedural" than 1 since 2 is much more focused on the individual self-contained missions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Saren stopped being cool when he threw that hissy fit after Eden Prime.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

sassassin posted:

Saren stopped being cool when he threw that hissy fit after Eden Prime.

Argh! Grr! Rahr!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That clip with Saren after Eden Prime is the weirdest most unnecessary sequence in Mass Effect because it's the only thing in the whole game that's totally outside of Shepard's own perspective and doesn't fit at all. I'm guessing the writers realized that without something in there nobody would know who the gently caress Benezia was until about 20 hours into the game and wrote it in.

However, Mass Effect, all of it, owns.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The worst thing about the attack on the Citadel is the content it cuts off. I played through twice and missed Matriarch Aethyta both times. Aethyta is the best. I'm re-replaying half the game now. Not meeting Aethyta is a thing about Mass Effect that does not own.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Something that I feel that ME1 completely failed to get accross is that Saren hates humanity and wants to wipe us out, sure Anderson says that but your interactions with Saren made me feel that he was genuine in thinking that working with the Reapers might lead to some leniency or something. I thought that Anderson was just super biased from his past with Saren.

But nope, the first lovely book makes it clear that he just wants to wipe out humanity because his brother died during the first contact war.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I thought the interactions with Anderson and Wrex get it across pretty clearly that Saren was a borderline psychopath with a grudge against humans.

If Saren ranted and raved about how much he hates humans in your encounter with him, people would cry foul that his goals make no sense because obviously the Reapers want to kill everyone, not just humans. Rationalizing that he can work with the Reapers to "cleanse" the galaxy is a more plausible third option.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

exquisite tea posted:

That clip with Saren after Eden Prime is the weirdest most unnecessary sequence in Mass Effect because it's the only thing in the whole game that's totally outside of Shepard's own perspective and doesn't fit at all. I'm guessing the writers realized that without something in there nobody would know who the gently caress Benezia was until about 20 hours into the game and wrote it in.

However, Mass Effect, all of it, owns.

It might have worked better if they'd done similar scenes to show that Saren isn't the one in control. The scene kind of implies that it was Sovereign throwing the hissy fit using Saren since the interior of the room flashes red during it and Saren immediately calms down when the room turns blue again.

Really, though, I never thought much of Saren as a villain since we see so little of him in-game. Sure, Anderson and Wrex talk about how bad he is, but we never see him do much other than generic villain work. The reveal that he was implanted at the end despite going through the entire game with a Geth arm (I know that was due to budget constraints) fell flat as well. All and all, Saden felt more like Anderson's enemy. Shepard just inherited the grudge.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 17, 2016

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Really though, Mass Effect owns. We can nitpick major or minor things, but the fact that we're talking about a game series that came out almost a decade ago, and the final chapter four years ago says to me that this is a good series. Overall. There are things that are less good. But I have a lot more positive memories with the series than I do negative ones. Unlike that Dragon Age series or Elder Scrolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mass effect (the series) owning is an unspoken assumption of this thread

mass effect 1 however will always have a special place in my heart

• Locked thread