Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The FZ07 has double the horsepower of the Ninja 300 and weighs only 10 lbs more. :confused:

Ola posted:

What?! Is this true? Why the hell would they do that? The difference between Japanese bikes in Euro and US markets continues to utterly confound me. The differences are utterly inexplicable. In Norway, you can't get it without ABS.

It's loving annoying. In this market manufacturers only put ABS on dad bikes or supersport full electronics bikes by default. Anything downmarket "needs" to be an option because freedoms, or whatever, and the ding-dongs who order bikes at the dealerships order 10x the non-ABS bikes as they do ABS ones. So naturally, you're stuck paying MSRP for an ABS bike because they're rare and in super high demand, and you can't find poo poo used. So some manufacturers see the sale disparity and just don't offer ABS at all.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

pokie posted:

Hi guys. I got a Ninja 300 a couple months back and put 1200 miles on it, a lot of them on CA twisties. I am curious what a logical upgrade progression is if I want to go the naked bike route and how do I evaluate when I am ready to get one? I got a nice new job offer so I want to celebrate, but I also want to stay safe and not over-ride my skill limit. The sexiest bike I have seen so far is MV Brutale, and, yeah, I read about the sprag clutch thing in the thread.

VVV Oh yeah, ABS strongly preferred. A riding buddy has a FZ-07 and it is sweet, but does not have an ABS option.

SuperDuke

Serious. Its like riding a kitten.

E: You'll know when you're ready for it. It calls to you while you're walking around the dealership.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The FZ07 has double the horsepower of the Ninja 300 and weighs only 10 lbs more. :confused:

It's loving annoying. In this market manufacturers only put ABS on dad bikes or supersport full electronics bikes by default. Anything downmarket "needs" to be an option because freedoms, or whatever, and the ding-dongs who order bikes at the dealerships order 10x the non-ABS bikes as they do ABS ones. So naturally, you're stuck paying MSRP for an ABS bike because they're rare and in super high demand, and you can't find poo poo used. So some manufacturers see the sale disparity and just don't offer ABS at all.

I asked about this before, once upon a time when ABS was new on bikes, and the answer was "more trouble than its worth". But now anything new will have it by default in at least one market, how much more viable do you suppose it would be to retrofit? The manufacturer is hardly going to use a different ECU, or even differently programmed ECU. If you fitted the ABS hardware from a European bike, it would likely just be a matter of pin programming or at most a software flag to enable it. Might cost a few hundred dollars, but if it's a deal breaker on an otherwise dream bike, it should be do doable at this point.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pokie posted:

Hi guys. I got a Ninja 300 a couple months back and put 1200 miles on it, a lot of them on CA twisties. I am curious what a logical upgrade progression is if I want to go the naked bike route and how do I evaluate when I am ready to get one? I got a nice new job offer so I want to celebrate, but I also want to stay safe and not over-ride my skill limit

Just my opinion, but 1200 miles is nowhere near enough to move up from your starter bike. That's about the point where you start to feel comfortable on the road and have gotten used to the power available from your bike, so you start thinking yeah, I'm good, I'm ready to move on. Nope. You have just enough confidence to start letting your guard down, but you're still 8800 miles (at least) from developing the automatic reflexes that you need to safely extricate yourself from dangerous situations. You probably want to upgrade because you've lost the rush of adrenaline from acceleration...sadly it does go away, but there's a whole lot more to riding than being able to pin the throttle.

At this point you're probably using 70% of your bike's maximum power and 30% of its handling ability. Stick with it until at least 5000 miles and you'll become a far better rider than you will if you upgrade now.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 16, 2016

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm confused, you only have 1200 miles riding experience and you want to move up displacement already? Did you mean 12,000, or maybe 120,000?

Yeah, it's probably unwise to do it right away, which is why I asked, "how do I evaluate when I am ready to get one?"

Sagebrush posted:

Just my opinion, but 1200 miles is nowhere near enough to move up from your starter bike. That's about the point where you start to feel comfortable on the road and have gotten used to the power available from your bike, so you start thinking yeah, I'm good, I'm ready to move on. Nope. You have just enough confidence to start letting your guard down, but you're still 8800 miles (at least) from developing the automatic reflexes that you need to safely extricate yourself from dangerous situations. You probably want to upgrade because you've lost the rush of adrenaline from acceleration...sadly it does go away, but there's a whole lot more to riding than being able to pin the throttle.

At this point you're probably using 70% of your bike's maximum power and 30% of its handling ability. Stick with it until at least 5000 miles and you'll become a far better rider than you will if you upgrade now.

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear. I will come back in 4 months or so and evaluate my options again.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
When you don't need to ask that question anymore is when you can get one

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Linedance posted:

I asked about this before, once upon a time when ABS was new on bikes, and the answer was "more trouble than its worth". But now anything new will have it by default in at least one market, how much more viable do you suppose it would be to retrofit? The manufacturer is hardly going to use a different ECU, or even differently programmed ECU. If you fitted the ABS hardware from a European bike, it would likely just be a matter of pin programming or at most a software flag to enable it. Might cost a few hundred dollars, but if it's a deal breaker on an otherwise dream bike, it should be do doable at this point.

That's the thing - dream bikes more or less have this stuff standard nowadays, it's the downmarket stuff where it is still sort of more trouble than it's worth financially to retrofit (but where it really could make a big difference for a newer rider.) It will certainly be more expensive to outfit a bike with ABS after the fact than the $500 of MSRP most manufacturers charge extra for it when it's optional, especially on a bike like the cheap Yamaha's where you can't buy one in this market with ABS at all.

Just loving mandate it here, already. :argh:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

That's the thing - dream bikes more or less have this stuff standard nowadays, it's the downmarket stuff where it is still sort of more trouble than it's worth financially to retrofit (but where it really could make a big difference for a newer rider.) It will certainly be more expensive to outfit a bike with ABS after the fact than the $500 of MSRP most manufacturers charge extra for it when it's optional, especially on a bike like the cheap Yamaha's where you can't buy one in this market with ABS at all.

Just loving mandate it here, already. :argh:

I doubt it would be. A cursory scan of ebay.co.uk gave me prices around £280 ($400) for front and rear sensor rings and sensors, and the pump. Add $100 for shipping and you're bang on $500 for the major components. Minor stuff can probably be bought stateside. If you really wanted an FZ07, but it had to be ABS, and were prepared to do the work yourself, I think you could do it for not much more than $500.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm confused, you only have 1200 miles riding experience and you want to move up displacement already? Did you mean 12,000, or maybe 120,000?

The FZ-07 is not really an upgrade to the ninja except for power, they are both entry level bikes. The ninja will handle and brake as well or better than an FZ.

I was waiting for the ninja 250 is enough bike for everybody forever guy to chime in

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I imagine the person who says an ex250 is enough bike for everybody is the same jerk that "gets high on life"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

An ex250 is enough for everyone's needs, whether it's enough for everyone's wants is another story

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

clutchpuck posted:

I was waiting for the ninja 250 is enough bike for everybody forever guy to chime in

Haha it's mostly my buyer's remorse doing the chiming. I think I would have been as happy with the 300ABS as I am with my FZ and my wallet would be about $3k heavier

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

I doubt it would be. A cursory scan of ebay.co.uk gave me prices around £280 ($400) for front and rear sensor rings and sensors, and the pump. Add $100 for shipping and you're bang on $500 for the major components. Minor stuff can probably be bought stateside. If you really wanted an FZ07, but it had to be ABS, and were prepared to do the work yourself, I think you could do it for not much more than $500.

You also need new lines, and ideally the OEM ABS wiring harness. If he ABS unit is closely integrated into the ECU (Kawasaki does this), then it gets a lot more complicated. If the abs unit is just power/brake light/ignition/sensors then yeah, you could retro-fit pretty easily - I'm looking at roughly that price to put ABS on the Brammo but I will have to get custom lines/pump mount/reluctor rings made.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
BMW puts ABS on all their bikes now, standard. The only good brand.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

You also need new lines, and ideally the OEM ABS wiring harness. If he ABS unit is closely integrated into the ECU (Kawasaki does this), then it gets a lot more complicated. If the abs unit is just power/brake light/ignition/sensors then yeah, you could retro-fit pretty easily - I'm looking at roughly that price to put ABS on the Brammo but I will have to get custom lines/pump mount/reluctor rings made.

Z3n posted:

Custom ecu map for the Brammo to read the motor sensor and compare it to the front wheel speed, there is your rear wheel abs (and traction control) right there

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

BMW puts ABS on all their bikes now, standard. The only good brand.

P. sure all of the European manufacturers do this, what with it being a legal requirement in Europe and everything.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

I'd be surprised if you needed any more wiring than the pigtail the sensors come with. The connectors on the main loom are probably already there, just wrapped up. Why would they design an entirely different loom just for the North American market? The ECU is either going to detect an input and be fine with it, or may need a flag set to enable. Brake lines you can probably order OEM or just get aftermarket ones easily enough. I agree that adding ABS to a bike that never had it to begin with would be complicated. But adding it to a bike that has it by default in other markets is likely just a matter of adding the hardware.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

P. sure all of the European manufacturers do this, what with it being a legal requirement in Europe and everything.

Which is why it's so baffling that on some bikes that are sold in both Europe and the U.S., they often don't even offer the option of ABS on many bikes. It's part of why I'm so excited about the XSR900 - I can finally get an MT/FZ-09 with ABS here without having to buy the farkled out adv touring model.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat
That's one of the things that's got me leaning toward the Street twin from the Bonneville Newchurch. ABS and TC as standard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

I'd be surprised if you needed any more wiring than the pigtail the sensors come with. The connectors on the main loom are probably already there, just wrapped up. Why would they design an entirely different loom just for the North American market? The ECU is either going to detect an input and be fine with it, or may need a flag set to enable. Brake lines you can probably order OEM or just get aftermarket ones easily enough. I agree that adding ABS to a bike that never had it to begin with would be complicated. But adding it to a bike that has it by default in other markets is likely just a matter of adding the hardware.

Nope, they make separate wiring harnesses for each major continent on nearly all bikes. I don't know why that's the case, but if you look at the repair manual wiring diagrams, you will see the difference, and my experience with doing these sort of swaps is the stuff is completely missing from US non-ABS bikes. You also need the wiring for the ABS idiot lights. Most modern ECUs are locked, so it's not as simple as "set a flag", and most of the time folks that are flashing ECUs don't care about the ABS stuff as they're going for max horsepowers brah. Also ABS stuff tends to be its own independent system that's an addon unit from Bosch or Continental (you provide a bike plus dollars to company, they develop ABS unit for you) - again, Kawasaki is the exception here, with their sporting ABS stuff being some form of inhouse development, although I think they still partner with Bosch or Continental.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Custom ecu map for the Brammo to read the motor sensor and compare it to the front wheel speed, there is your rear wheel abs (and traction control) right there

This would be so good. I want it so badly.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Which is why it's so baffling that on some bikes that are sold in both Europe and the U.S., they often don't even offer the option of ABS on many bikes. It's part of why I'm so excited about the XSR900 - I can finally get an MT/FZ-09 with ABS here without having to buy the farkled out adv touring model.

Dad bikes for lyfe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjDqs0bQ6Ew

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

I already have a Goldwing in the garage, one dad bike is enough for me. :colbert:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Crossposting:

The blandit has landed on my driveway. :toot:

2009 model, 11000kms on the clock. Got it for just under $5K (in USD).

The red one was lonely so I found it a friend. Shown here is a tentative butt sniff by the purple intruder:

I'm a man with 2 motorcycles (at least until I sell the red one) and I've hassled my dad into saddling up for a short road trip. Today is a good day. :sun:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Carth Dookie posted:

Crossposting:

The blandit has landed on my driveway. :toot:

2009 model, 11000kms on the clock. Got it for just under $5K (in USD).

The red one was lonely so I found it a friend. Shown here is a tentative butt sniff by the purple intruder:

I'm a man with 2 motorcycles (at least until I sell the red one) and I've hassled my dad into saddling up for a short road trip. Today is a good day. :sun:

Why are you selling the superhawk?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's a good long distance tourer in the middleweight class, i.e. 800-1000cc that doesn't look like a couch on wheels but can still do 500+km in a day without too much butt pain?

Bonus is it's still decently fun to ride day to day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Collateral Damage posted:

What's a good long distance tourer in the middleweight class, i.e. 800-1000cc that doesn't look like a couch on wheels but can still do 500+km in a day without too much butt pain?

What is a VFR800?

I'll take Goldwings for 1000, Alex.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Why are you selling the superhawk?

tl;dr of the wordsalad I posted in here earlier:

I ride mostly to commute and I was press ganging it into service and it wasn't suited to it and I was starting to dislike it despite it being really fun to ride on the weekends and having a fantastic noise. Also I'm a wuss and I wasn't prepared to put up with the strain it puts on my back anymore. I can ignore that when I'm riding for fun but when I'm riding to and from work its just an extra layer of annoyance. I can't realistically afford to keep both so I'm selling the hawk. Ain't going to lie; I'm going to miss the hell out of the noise it makes. Personally I think its the best sounding stock exhaust on a Japanese bike ever. Always woke me up on a miserable Monday on the way to work.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 17, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Carth Dookie posted:

tl;dr of the wordsalad I posted in here earlier:

I ride mostly to commute and I was press ganging it into service and it wasn't suited to it and I was starting to dislike it despite it being really fun to ride on the weekends and having a fantastic noise. Also I'm a wuss and I wasn't prepared to put up with the strain it puts on my back anymore. I can ignore that when I'm riding for fun but when I'm riding to and from work its just an extra layer of annoyance. I can't realistically afford to keep both so I'm selling the hawk. Ain't going to lie; I'm going to miss the hell out of the noise it makes. Personally I think its the best sounding stock exhaust on a Japanese bike ever. Always woke me up on a miserable Monday on the way to work.

oh yeah... that thing is not for commuting. It's just for making noises and going fast.

On the other hand, you get to stop at literally every gas station you see to fill up, so your back gets a rest frequently.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh yeah... that thing is not for commuting. It's just for making noises and going fast.

On the other hand, you get to stop at literally every gas station you see to fill up, so your back gets a rest frequently.

Holy poo poo you're not wrong.

I would put a 5 carat ring on the finger of whatever woman could suck like that bike does.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That's a.. colorful description. Also the bandit isn't the most frugal either, but it at least has a good tank!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
How much worse is an RC51 for daily riding than a super hawk?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

PaintVagrant posted:

Couldn't say, but riding one on the street isn't really worse than a Superhawk.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

More aggressive seating position plus all the other issues. Slightly larger gas tank, gas mileage got into single digits in track use.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Everything I've ever heard about them says they are a cool idea but suck in reality. Truth?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

You need a 2008+ Ulysses, I am not joking. Yeah yeah blah blah 1203cc, it looks heavyweight, whatever. It's 50 lbs lighter than a VFR and makes about the same power and fuel economy. 7" suspension travel with progressive forks sops up everything. Nimble city machine without the cases, coast to coast tourer with them. It's the original concept SM-T before KTM decided to copy Erik. I'm about 2 weeks away from a 6000 mile trip on mine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

Everything I've ever heard about them says they are a cool idea but suck in reality. Truth?

They don't suck. They do feel a bit heavy in the corners, but they're actually really awesome.
They're just stupidly overpriced for what they are.

They also tend to attract squids like poo poo attracts flies.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

FJ09

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

PaintVagrant posted:

Go on cycle-ergo.

Also the RC51 is supposedly one of the stiffer frames made. You'll feel the bumps. A superhawk - aside from the gas tank/range issues is a pretty reasonable sporty riding position for long rides.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They don't suck. They do feel a bit heavy in the corners, but they're actually really awesome.
They're just stupidly overpriced for what they are.

They also tend to attract squids like poo poo attracts flies.

They're really fun bikes but big, heavy, and ya, way overpriced. Difficult to ride at the limit but very rewarding.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I've been riding an Iron 883 for four years now (and had a Ninja 250 before that for a couple years), but now I've got the itch to trade the bike for something else, specifically a Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber. Tell me how dumb I am to get what is essentially the same bike I have now except for a rotated engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

They're really fun bikes but big, heavy, and ya, way overpriced. Difficult to ride at the limit but very rewarding.

and goddamnit are they ever pretty. :allears: