Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Speedwagon dies peacefully a confirmed bachelor at 89

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-05-15/japanese-readers-choose-sexiest-shonen-jump-villains/.102037

DIO and Hisoka are the sexiest Shonen Jump villains according to Japanese Readers.

Kars, Pucci and Valentine feature too.
In a couple of years, Damo will stomp it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I was gonna say that I thought Damo didn't qualify since JJL's in Ultra Jump, but Valentine made it in so Damo's gonna crush it next time.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kira didn't place, what the hell is this

I am very glad Japanese readers also looked at President of the United States of Valentine, Funny Valentine and said "He's hot"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

Everyone who voted for Kira had their vote counted for Light, obviously, and I demand a recount

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-05-15/japanese-readers-choose-sexiest-shonen-jump-villains/.102037

DIO and Hisoka are the sexiest Shonen Jump villains according to Japanese Readers.

Interesting that even though the voters were evenly split by gender, the top 20 was all male. I think the reason for this is that female villains in Shonen Jump manga tend to be either too disturbing-looking (Big Mom, Enya Geil, Joa from Toriko), turned good or good-ish too quickly (Boa Hancock, Harribel), too much minor characters (most female antagonists in Jojo), or disliked for non-sexiness-related reasons (Kaguya from Naruto).

More surprising was the lack of the obvious Akatsuki members (Sasori, Deidara, Itachi). Orochimaru and Zabuza made it, but not them?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Everyone who voted for Kira had their vote counted for Light, obviously, and I demand a recount

Kira is 23rd, actually.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 16, 2016

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hisoka...? Villain? Bwuh???

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Silver2195 posted:

Rohan seemed almost as obsessed with Koichi as Yukako was. I haven't read the Rohan spinoffs, though.

Avdol seemed terrified of his own attraction to Dio's "strange sensuality."

There's also that uncomfortable moment during the Mariah fight where Avdol insists he does not play the role of magnetic blowjob man.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Naerasa posted:

There's also that uncomfortable moment during the Mariah fight where Avdol insists he does not play the role of magnetic blowjob man.

He just ain't into exhibitionism

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He just ain't into exhibitionism

Buuuuuut he does seem cool with openly pissing in a guy's mouth with his best buddy Polnareff, so....

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Naerasa posted:

Buuuuuut he does seem cool with openly pissing in a guy's mouth with his best buddy Polnareff, so....

That's a private island. :heysexy:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

lol if you never pissed in a dudes mouth with your bro when you were younger

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's a loving outrage that Hisoka is tied for #1 when Takasugi Shinsuke is #5. Get out of my face with that hosed up poo poo. Hisoka is a mess

a MESS

E: in my anger i totally missed Shishio on that list too and come on this must be a troll

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 16, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
the gently caress younger toguro is on the list

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hi Wa Mata Noboru put out a better quality scanlation* of JJL 53 just in time for 54 this week.
http://bato.to/reader#13cb47e88797625f_1

*-Higher res and better cleaning from their own copy of UJ.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dias posted:

the gently caress younger toguro is on the list

And this, Urameshi, is 69% of my power...

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
So I just finally started reading part 8.

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm reading but I'm enjoying it greatly.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Finished part 7. Man, Araki had to include that little note about how the kid Gyro tried to save ended up dying of a cold, didn't he?

SBR has the best story and best Brojo, I think, but it sure does go out of its way to have the protagonists accomplish nothing beyond killing Valentine and Johnny relearning how to walk. And then JJL shits all over the latter with Johnny's ultimate fate.

Even Stone Ocean's ending wasn't as much of a downer.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Sandman posted:

Finished part 7. Man, Araki had to include that little note about how the kid Gyro tried to save ended up dying of a cold, didn't he?

SBR has the best story and best Brojo, I think, but it sure does go out of its way to have the protagonists accomplish nothing beyond killing Valentine and Johnny relearning how to walk. And then JJL shits all over the latter with Johnny's ultimate fate.

What do any of the JoJos acomplish aside from defeating their antagonist and maybe saving an immediate loved one? Johnny saved America from a power-crazed tyrant and is a cool dude.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hopeford posted:

So I just finally started reading part 8.

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm reading but I'm enjoying it greatly.

That's the Jojolion experience summed up until very recently. "what the gently caress why the gently caress and who the gently caress"

The Sandman posted:

I think SBR's Western theme fits with that, it's about grit and determination over all the bullshit in an unfair world. I mean, Johnny went from being on top of the world to losing everything in one brief moment, so the tone is set very early into the series, and it's determination that leads Johnny to victory over Valentine. Then a lucky motherfucker wins the race itself while Johnny loses a friend and gets wrecked by Cameo Villain. It's probably the harshest series to its main cast, yeah, excepting of course Stone Ocean because of obvious reasons.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

The Sandman posted:

I think the one constant in JoJo is that Joseph is the only protagonist allowed to grow old and have fun.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hopeford posted:

I think the one constant in JoJo is that Joseph is the only protagonist allowed to grow old and have fun.

Josuke and Giorno are fine and alive, and strong.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd like to see a one-shot of Giorno surviving the events of Made in Heaven due to the protection of GER and making sense of the new, DIO-less world. I think that would be interesting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

alcharagia posted:

Josuke and Giorno are fine and alive, and strong.

Yes, Joey Sook and Giulliani are living happily with their pal Irene and her dad Dork.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dias posted:

Yes, Joey Sook and Giulliani are living happily with their pal Irene and her dad Dork.

Made in Heaven only replaces the people it killed, Pucci didn't go anywhere near Josuke, Giorno, or for that matter Joseph. :colbert:

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

multijoe posted:

What do any of the JoJos acomplish aside from defeating their antagonist and maybe saving an immediate loved one? Johnny saved America from a power-crazed tyrant and is a cool dude.

Huh?

Jonathan, Joseph and Jotaro saved the world.
Josuke stopped a serial killer from committing further murders.
Giorno potentially saved Europe.
Jolyne helped save the universe.

...And that's just their greatest accomplishments.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
America is more important than the rest of the world, sorry

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

alcharagia posted:

Made in Heaven only replaces the people it killed, Pucci didn't go anywhere near Josuke, Giorno, or for that matter Joseph. :colbert:

Wait, is that so? Why do people theorize about SBRVerse being the post-reset Stone Ocean world then, doesn't that kinda kill the theory?

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

multijoe posted:

Johnny "saved" America from a true patriot who secured 1000 years of prosperity for his homeland, and is a whiny nerd who can't accept the consequences of provoking a man into shooting him in the spine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Huh?

Josuke stopped a serial killer from committing further murders.
Giorno potentially saved Europe.
Jolyne helped save the universe.

...And that's just their greatest accomplishments.

Yeah that was my point. Killing Valentine acomplished something other than just killing Valentine (see: saving America from being ruled by an insanely spiteful, unkillable crazy guy). You could say Jotato 'just' killed DIO but you'd be missing the point in the extreme.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Dias posted:

Wait, is that so? Why do people theorize about SBRVerse being the post-reset Stone Ocean world then, doesn't that kinda kill the theory?

I think it's pretty confirmed that the SBRVerse isn't the post-reset Stone Ocean world if only because based on the family trees shown so far there's no Irene anywhere. So either they are completely separate universes or Araki forgot.

The way I read it, the Stone Ocean ending meant that parts 1 through 5 all happened the same way as usual.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hopeford posted:

I think it's pretty confirmed that the SBRVerse isn't the post-reset Stone Ocean world if only because based on the family trees shown so far there's no Irene anywhere. So either they are completely separate universes or Araki forgot.

The way I read it, the Stone Ocean ending meant that parts 1 through 5 all happened the same way as usual.

Jolyne is gone forever and ever then, but at least she took her dork dad with her and Joseph Best Joestar is alive? Greato daze.

(well he's probably dead by then but)

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Dias posted:

Jolyne is gone forever and ever then, but at least she took her dork dad with her and Joseph Best Joestar is alive? Greato daze.

(well he's probably dead by then but)

Yeah, at least the way I read it(and I could be wrong) Joseph definitely just shifted over into the new Irene world completely unharmed. And I know that Arakii said in an interview that Joseph was still alive in the beginning of part 6, but a little dumber or something of the sort.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wasn't the idea of SO's ending that Jolyne and Jotaro were rewarded by no longer being Joestars? I think she can still coexist with Johnny and Gappy.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I could be misremembering since I finished part 6 when it was like 4 in the morning, but didn't Irene have the Joestar birthmark?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It could be through spirit genes and not gene genes or something. I'm not saying that the universes are the same, just that I don't think we can use Irene to rule that out.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Huh?

I'm pretty sure Jotaro destroyed it. :)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

If you consider the term parallel universe to mean it's not the same universe then it's not the same universe. Otherwise I guess it's up to your interpretation.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Alopex posted:

I like to think that Avdol had a thing for buff foreign dudes to start with and then Joseph was all "ok, so this Dio guy? Tall, pale, blonde, totally ripped, and apparently he has this weird charisma thing that'll make you weak in the knees, stay sharp buddy" and completely ruined Avdol's love life until Dio legit did show up. Every time he'd hit it off with a dude he'd think "oh poo poo THIS IS IT" and go diving out the nearest window like his life depended on it.

I don't think avdol would cheat on joseph like that.

Moltrey posted:

I am very glad Japanese readers also looked at President of the United States of Valentine, Funny Valentine and said "He's hot"