Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Unless you use your credit card to buy Enchantment Failure Insurance.

Sometimes I don't know if you people are joking or not. Is this a joke? Please tell me it is, and that I'm dumb for even thinking this is a real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I remember ArcheAge had something similar as a lockbox reward.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Lonjon posted:

Sometimes I don't know if you people are joking or not. Is this a joke? Please tell me it is, and that I'm dumb for even thinking this is a real thing.

I have no idea if it's real or not but it wouldn't surprise me. Last time I checked the game enchanting was such a huge risk. Spending currency you spent weeks gathering to improve an item that could end up worse than it is right now if the game fucks you? I could see people reaching for their credit card to avoid that.

Or just doing something else with their time I suppose. loving MMOs man.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm not joking.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Lonjon posted:

My favorites are the cash shops that rent you cosmetic items. Even better if there's no option to permanently buy it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lonjon posted:

Socketing Failure Removal Fee, and enchantment success boosters.

http://store.aiononline.com/store/category?categoryPath=1_4_55

http://store.aiononline.com/store/item?goodsNo=6308013&categoryPath=1_4_55

http://store.aiononline.com/store/item?goodsNo=6308016&categoryPath=1_4_55

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
This is a very sad thing. :(

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Lonjon posted:

This is a very sad thing. :(

I guarantee that's their best selling item.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mayor McCheese posted:

My favorites are the cash shops that rent you cosmetic items. Even better if there's no option to permanently buy it.

the Aion thing is horrifying enough but you ARE making this up, right

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Suitaru posted:

Its pretty common in asian versions of the game. The chinese version of B&S had costumes dropped in game have a 1 month time limit while the cash shop ones were permanent. Of course you could rent an outfit for a day/week/month for cheap or buy at full price.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Basically Korean MMOs are terrible don't play them.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Suitaru posted:

Age of Wushu did this, and people bought it like candy.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mayor McCheese posted:

My brother once dumped cash into costume rentals in Maplestory. He has amazingly bad taste.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

Basically Korean MMOs are terrible don't play them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Suitaru posted:

I remember Vindictus had a ton of rental only outfits last time I played it (quite a while ago). Mostly lingerie IIRC.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

Basically MMOs are terrible don't play them.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

The Moon Monster posted:

I remember Vindictus had a ton of rental only outfits last time I played it (quite a while ago). Mostly lingerie IIRC.

Vindictus offers the option to rent or buy for all costume items. Of course the game is virtually dead these days.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
The voice for one of the protostar classes left also

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I think it costs about $30 to dress your big-titted, elf waifu up like a schoolgirl in TERA. I really wish someone would rip off that combat system, and put it in a good game.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Clitch posted:

I think it costs about $30 to dress your big-titted, elf waifu up like a schoolgirl in TERA. I really wish someone would rip off that combat system, and put it in a good game.

Me too. Although to be fair, Wildstar with mouse look played really well, the character control/responsiveness was great and second to perhaps only WoW.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Mr. Neutron posted:

Me too. Although to be fair, Wildstar with mouse look played really well, the character control/responsiveness was great and second to perhaps only WoW.

Except TERA manages to do what Wildstar does without 15 overlapping telegraph panels. It also doesn't split your attention between five different meaningless objectives at any given time. It's just buried underneath that generic Korean MMO aesthetic.

I swear I'm not a TERA fanboy. I just really like its combat system.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Clitch posted:

See, I kept trying to play TERA, but the classes I wanted to play most were locked to the sex doll races. Just let me be a fat dog man with a pipe for every class, drat it.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Anoia posted:

See, I kept trying to play TERA, but the classes I wanted to play most were locked to the sex doll races. Just let me be a fat dog man with a pipe for every class, drat it.

You'd think they'd at least work their way down the list, but they went and cycled back around to the creepy little girl race for their newest class.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its pretty common in asian versions of the game. The chinese version of B&S had costumes dropped in game have a 1 month time limit while the cash shop ones were permanent. Of course you could rent an outfit for a day/week/month for cheap or buy at full price.

My understanding is that in SE Asia, MMOs are much more likely to offer hourly subscriptions (as opposed to monthly). Rentals make a lot of sense from that perspective for publishers; if you rent an outfit for a month, you're more likely to spend the money to log in hourly to use it.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/151807-wildstar-coming-to-steam/

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Wildstar: Overwhelmingly Negative

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

lol well the acclaim HAS been incredibly critical

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

They've reset the reviews so there's nothing there now :smith:

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

noELrunes posted:

They've reset the reviews so there's nothing there now :smith:

There wasn't one in the first place, you were looking at what we in the business call a photoshop. Give the game a few months after it actually launches on steam.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Pesterchum posted:

There wasn't one in the first place, you were looking at what we in the business call a photoshop. Give the game a few months after it actually launches on steam.

I' m ready

:getin:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

So are they ever going to announce a date for the Steam release? They keep talking about it but seem incapable of actually making it happen.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
"Within the next few weeks". They aren't any more specific than that

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

The Chairman posted:

"Within the next few weeks". They aren't any more specific than that

Great(?) news!

http://massivelyop.com/2016/06/07/wildstar-is-finally-coming-to-steam-on-thursday/

Wildstar is launching tomorrow on Steam! Building up buzz is for casuals, who aren't welcome in Wildstar.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
Over/under on shutdown odds before the OP post? (Spe. 29th)

Man I bet the Steam community hub for this game is gonna be a loving garbage fire.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

Great(?) news!

http://massivelyop.com/2016/06/07/wildstar-is-finally-coming-to-steam-on-thursday/

Wildstar is launching tomorrow on Steam! Building up buzz is for casuals, who aren't welcome in Wildstar.

Zero buzz or buildup. I know they're a probably a skeleton crew with no budget but surely they could've done a press release and some interviews?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Berious posted:

Zero buzz or buildup. I know they're a probably a skeleton crew with no budget but surely they could've done a press release and some interviews?

no one wanted to do an interview with the devs

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck
They probably wanted to avoid any hype in case the extra players made the server unplayable again.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Does a game re-re-release if no one cares?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

jabro posted:

Does a game re-re-release if no one cares?

Is that a Zen question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

They updated and it's actually this friday

• Locked thread