Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
But will the NATS retain the seats they took from independents in NSW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So what's the deal with sportsbet, do they screw you out of your money if it's a hung parliament or a labor/greens coalition? Is that why they've got such long odds?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lizard Combatant posted:

So what's the deal with sportsbet, do they screw you out of your money if it's a hung parliament or a labor/greens coalition? Is that why they've got such long odds?

quote:

After 2013. Pay on party which supplies the Prime Minister following the next Federal election. Bets settled at time of swearing in. All bets carry over if the Gov General does not swear in a PM because supply cannot be guaranteed.

e: I assume the long odds are due to Turnbull's first term incumbency and high popularity when he first got in.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 16, 2016

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Fair enough, ta

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

e: I assume the long odds are due to Turnbull's first term incumbency and high popularity when he first got in.

Also people overstating tradition, a first term government hasn't been kicked out since 1929.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just watched the latest Mediawatch, and I realise that the front pages of the Tele etc. are only the beginning.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Hahaha holy poo poo the front page of the Courier Mail today.

Fukkin reffos mate, living it up in "hell"

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008

Starshark posted:

Does anyone read the Telegraph on a daily basis and if so, are they still doing that TURNBULL VS SHORTEN 5-0 DAY 5 horseshit? I'm just wondering how long they'll keep it up if the polls keep going south for Turnbull.

To shamelessly steal a reference from the history thread:

quote:

The following is a list of Paris newspaper headlines reporting the journey of Napoleon across France, on his return from exile on Elba, March 9 to March 22, 1815:

March 9

THE ANTHROPOPHAGUS HAS QUITTED HIS DEN

March 10

THE CORSICAN OGRE HAS LANDED AT CAPE JUAN

March 11

THE TIGER HAS ARRIVED AT CAP

March 12

THE MONSTER SLEPT AT GRENOBLE

March 13

THE TYRANT HAS PASSED THOUGH LYONS

March 14

THE USURPER IS DIRECTING HIS STEPS TOWARDS DIJON

March 18

BONAPARTE IS ONLY SIXTY LEAGUES FROM THE CAPITAL

He has been fortunate enough to escape his pursuers

March 19

BONAPARTE IS ADVANCING WITH RAPID STEPS, BUT HE WILL NEVER ENTER PARIS

March 20

NAPOLEON WILL, TOMORROW, BE UNDER OUR RAMPARTS

March 21

THE EMPEROR IS AT FONTAINEBLEAU

March 22

HIS IMPERIAL AND ROYAL MAJESTY arrived yesterday evening at the Tuileries, amid the joyful acclamation of his devoted and faithful subjects

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008
And who said journalism wasn't always pure unadulterated poo poo.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Axel Ferguson posted:

And who said journalism wasn't always pure unadulterated poo poo.

No one

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
stop worrying about the election

Hot!

world is fukt

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

I saw Shorten bad mouthing Di Natalie earlier today and I just cannot fathom why.

alienating the left is a good way to shore up the ALP's base, which is ?????

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Much like poor people vote for high income tax cuts because they know one day they'll be millionaires, the ALP don't want any policies that will alienate their future base of right wing hicks.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Hey that Courier Fail article about asylum seekers trading cigarettes with ARE TAX DOLLARS (you are giving them away for free, wtf did you think they would do with them?) is followed up with an article the next page about why spending hundreds of millions on stadiums is great and Scott Morrison is good.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Stadiums are pretty much always a boondoggle. The one in WA is like $1bn and the AFL aren't contributing gently caress all even though they will be the major beneficiary. It's not like between the AFL and the two local teams they couldn't have raised a big chunk of cash, interest rates are low and they are super profitable.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

reading comments about the greens is truly insightful

'The greens are just the LNP lite!! They keep voting for LNP bills!'
'Labor votes with the LNP 6 times as much as the greens'
'Exactly!! If the greens stop siding with the LNP I'll go back to Labor!!'

'The greens are crazy if they think Labor will enter a coalition with them again!!'
'What if a minority government is elected?'
'Well obviously the greens will have to enter a coalition with Labor!!'

these people are actually retarded

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Government spending on stadia for professional sports is and always will be outrageous.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Flip flop on backpacker tax

Assistant Treasurer Kelly O'Dwyer has announced a delay in the introduction of the contentious backpacker tax.

Working holidaymakers were facing a 32 per cent tax, sparking warnings they would shun Australia as a travel destination.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Anidav posted:

Flip flop on backpacker tax

Assistant Treasurer Kelly O'Dwyer has announced a delay in the introduction of the contentious backpacker tax.

Working holidaymakers were facing a 32 per cent tax, sparking warnings they would shun Australia as a travel destination.

?

Why would they do that? I mean, don't backpackers mainly pick our fruit?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

open24hours posted:

Government spending on stadia for professional sports is and always will be outrageous.

Why? It makes people happy. On the list of outrageous poo poo are tax dollars are spent on, sports funding and stadiums are pretty low down my list.

Starshark posted:

?

Why would they do that? I mean, don't backpackers mainly pick our fruit?

They can't vote so they're easy targets.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Because it's just funneling public money into private pockets. Lots of people make lots of money from professional sport, they can pay for their own equipment.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

open24hours posted:

Because it's just funneling public money into private pockets.

buddy I have bad news about the entire neoliberal political agenda

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

BBJoey posted:

buddy I have bad news about the entire neoliberal political agenda

lmao

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

open24hours posted:

Because it's just funneling public money into private pockets. Lots of people make lots of money from professional sport, they can pay for their own equipment.

This week, on "Man Slowly Coming To Grips With The Realities of Capitalism,"

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
This morning in "Man in hole desperately defecates in a bid to swim free'

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2016/s4463520.htm

quote:

Australia Institute's report on planned company tax cut is 'fanciful': Mathias Cormann

That report yesterday on why corporate tax cuts were a poorly thought through debarkle? "OH NO IT ISN'T!" Screams Mathias Corman despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. My favourite bit was how a previous bit of modelling assumed full employment in generating wages growth data :dance: and the Treasury modelling indicating a whooping 0.1% decrease in unemployment due to the proposed tax cut. JOBS AND GROWTH!!! See if I yell it loud enough it becomes true!

Apparently legal aid is about to collapse nationally and 2015 hotest year on record with 2016 about to beat it http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/05/16/global-warming-climate-change-greenhouse-gas-emissions/84224490/ oh and the worlds largest refugee camp in Kenya is about to close. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/kenya-threatens-to-close-world%27s-largest-refugee/7420140

Jobs and growth! (If you are in Border Farce).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon posted:

This morning in "Man in hole desperately defecates in a bid to swim free'

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2016/s4463520.htm

That report yesterday on why corporate tax cuts were a poorly thought through debarkle? "OH NO IT ISN'T!" Screams Mathias Corman despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. My favourite bit was how a previous bit of modelling assumed full employment in generating wages growth data :dance: and the Treasury modelling indicating a whooping 0.1% decrease in unemployment due to the proposed tax cut. JOBS AND GROWTH!!! See if I yell it loud enough it becomes true!

Apparently legal aid is about to collapse nationally and 2015 hotest year on record with 2016 about to beat it http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/05/16/global-warming-climate-change-greenhouse-gas-emissions/84224490/ oh and the worlds largest refugee camp in Kenya is about to close. http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/kenya-threatens-to-close-world%27s-largest-refugee/7420140

Jobs and growth! (If you are in Border Farce).

Hey at least there was some good news today:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

open24hours posted:

Actually, as an avid SimCity 2000 player, I can tell you that

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Labor party members who are also members of environmental groups are dressing up in Greens t-shirts and doorknocking for the Greens, independent of both parties, lol elmo did you guys feel sorry and decide to help out?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

asio posted:

Labor party members who are also members of environmental groups are dressing up in Greens t-shirts and doorknocking for the Greens, independent of both parties, lol elmo did you guys feel sorry and decide to help out?

Source?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://twitter.com/lucybarbour/status/732410841211920385

Yep.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I can't quite tell if the NZ housing crisis is a warning for Australia in the future or a hidden element of Australia in the present.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/17/new-zealand-housing-crisis-forces-hundreds-to-live-in-garages-tents-and-cars

eta: "hidden" as in we hear about people living with their parents into their 30s but, to my knowledge, they're usually in spare bedrooms rather than sheds and tents.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 17, 2016

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Daniel Andrews has posted up the letters he has got from homophobic people about his support for the Safe Schools program:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/woah-dan-andrews-showed-us-the-hectic-icky-homopho/db9bc15b-594b-4e73-a5d4-47e96b3f0d99.htm

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
hahahaha

https://twitter.com/Howling_Dowling/status/731795558235394048

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

You Am I posted:

Daniel Andrews has posted up the letters he has got from homophobic people about his support for the Safe Schools program:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/woah-dan-andrews-showed-us-the-hectic-icky-homopho/db9bc15b-594b-4e73-a5d4-47e96b3f0d99.htm

Probably shouldn't have read that.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I'm pretty used to the disgusting poo poo the Courier Mail publishes, but it is hands-down the loving worst today, just idk anymore

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

MonoAus posted:

Probably shouldn't have read that.

I've been living in the states the last three months. It's pretty mild by comparison

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012
TBH I've been pretty lucky in my life and haven't really encountered anyone so actively anti-gay, so to be reminded that these people exist is a little disconcerting. I'm sure there's more/worse out there for sure.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Before I post today's First Dog, I want to warn you that it will be followed by a kitten picture that contains dangerous amounts of cuteness. Please take proper precautions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

You Am I posted:

Cool imo

• Locked thread