Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That "good movie" fuckin' murdered Michel Gondry's career but Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen got away scott free, I'm still angry. :argh:

It WAS good though, and it turned out Gondry was a great action director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

This is what happens when you listen to the vocal minority of hardcore loving loser nerds.
See, you say this, but I don't think that's actually the people who really care about this poo poo. I mean some do I guess, but most nerds I know who invest heavily in reading comics actually seem pretty chill about changes in film or clever takes. I hear more complaints from the casual fans. There is this sort of culture of wikipedia that I think has formed over the years, especially since the Marvel movies. The internet is more than willing to tell you the mythology of those characters without actually reading. And I think when you don't actually experience comics and just how fluid their reality is, watching a list video can make that character's story seem more concrete than it really is. I mean, hell, we see it in these threads.

My sister who doesn't read comics was very adamant that Gwen Stacy should die because literally that's all she knows about Gwen Stacy. It's like the fourth thing you learn about Spider-Man. But honestly I couldn't care less. Killing Gwen was bold and shocking when Gerry Conway did it, but ti's just a creepy trope now. Gwen Stacy never has to die again.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Timeless Appeal posted:

My sister who doesn't read comics was very adamant that Gwen Stacy should die because literally that's all she knows about Gwen Stacy. It's like the fourth thing you learn about Spider-Man. But honestly I couldn't care less. Killing Gwen was bold and shocking when Gerry Conway did it, but ti's just a creepy trope now. Gwen Stacy never has to die again.

I'm glad she made it out OK in the Raimi movies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Timeless Appeal posted:

Gwen Stacy never has to die again.

They tried that in the comics and Peter Parker died instead, apparently we can have one or the other but not both without crazy dimension hopping shenanigans.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think the Mandarin in the movie was good and I want the True Mandarin to show up because black armor is also good

E: I'm just now learning there are some wildly different designs for the Mandarin out there and now I'm a little disappointed, at least I understand now why the thread preferred Kingsley so much

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 16, 2016

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They tried that in the comics and Peter Parker died instead, apparently we can have one or the other but not both without crazy dimension hopping shenanigans.

Spectacular Spider-man managed fine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Spectacular Spider-man managed fine.

It also got cancelled before they could kill her off.

I have no doubts they would have tried, though if the censors would have let them or not is another matter

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well now.

quote:

Harley Quinn Movie in the Works at Warner Bros. With Margot Robbie (Exclusive)

In an interesting twist, the project is not a Quinn solo movie. Rather, it would focus on several of DC’s female heroes and villains, with names such as Batgirl and Birds of Prey surfacing.

Months ahead of the opening of Suicide Squad, Warner Bros. is already contemplating a spinoff for the DC Entertainment anti-heroine, Harley Quinn.

Margot Robbie, who stars as the villainess in Suicide Squad, is attached to reprise the character and would also produce the untitled spinoff, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

But in an interesting twist, the project is not a Quinn solo movie. Rather, it would focus on several of DC’s female heroes and villains.

Details are being closely guarded but names such as Batgirl and Birds of Prey have surfaced, although in what capacity, it’s not clear. Warner Bros. isn’t commenting.

There is also a scribe penning the script but those details, too, are being kept secret, although it is known that the writer is female.

DC has a very strong stable of heroines and villainesses and has been focusing on those characters with the rise of its female readership and fanbase. It recently introduced DC SuperHero Girls, a line of comics and products targeting the young female demographic. The characters getting the spotlight include Quinn, Batgirl, Batman villainess Poison Ivy, Katana (Quinn’s fellow member of the Suicide Squad) and Bumblebee, who can fly and shrink.

Sources say that Robbie was the impetus for the project, adding that when she got the part for the movie, she dove deep into the comics to learn as much as possible on the character. In the process, she fell for DC’s female characters. She brought on the writer to help develop the project and brought it to Warners, which snapped it up.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/margot-robbies-harley-quinn-movie-894486

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I haven't followed Harley Quinn outside of BTAS, but I'm all for more women characters getting standalone movies. Curious as to who the writer is, though. Harley Quinn definitely has enough cache for a standalone movie so it would be a smart play.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope the movie is she has a lovers quarrel with Poison Ivy, thus there are a ton of plant monsters across the city that gets the Birds of Prey dragged into it plus Batgirl.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

guess those focus groups for ss reacted positively to her hope the movies good

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

That sounds cool

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

It WAS good though, and it turned out Gondry was a great action director.

Yeah, I saw The Green Hornet in the theater and actually really dug it? It wasn't perfect but I had fun with it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Harley must cleanse the streets and defeat a Batgirl that is branding criminals and getting them killed in prison.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Burkion posted:

I really hope the movie is she has a lovers quarrel with Poison Ivy, thus there are a ton of plant monsters across the city that gets the Birds of Prey dragged into it plus Batgirl.

Paul Dini already calling in favors to get Zatanna in there, isn't he

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So I guess she lives at the end of SS? WAY TO SPOIL THE MOVIE COMIC MOVIE RUMOR MILL

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

So I guess she lives at the end of SS? WAY TO SPOIL THE MOVIE COMIC MOVIE RUMOR MILL

WHY THIS TEAM DOESN'T SEEM VERY SUICIDAL AT ALL!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Attempted Suicide Squad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

What kids were snatching up Killian toys anyway?

They never made one! Heck, I don't think they even made a Mandarin toy for kids anyway. The only one I can find was made for collectors.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tiberius Christ posted:

THE STAY ALIVE GROUP OF INDIVIDUALISTIC PEOPLES

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I hope those Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey rumors are true, that sounds promising.

Hey! X-Men: Apocalypse is opening Friday. What are the chances it doesn't hit number one due the combination of middling press and CACW?

e: Oh, it opens the 27th. Nevermind.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 17, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Avengers aside, no superhero has an established brand that the public trusts like it does Star Wars. Every other superhero film has lived or died on advanced hype and word of mouth from fans of the characters.

So aside from the by far largest comic book franchise ever created, people ask nerds which movies to watch. Unless those movies are X3, The Amazing Spiderman 2, or a whole bunch of other bad movies that made a bunch of money.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

So aside from the by far largest comic book franchise ever created, people ask nerds which movies to watch. Unless those movies are X3, The Amazing Spiderman 2, or a whole bunch of other bad movies that made a bunch of money.

X3 and ASM2 were sequels to fairly good movies, so the initial "hey, nerd friend, should I see this?" word of mouth was probably "gently caress YES DO IT." ASM2 still underperformed compared to what Sony expected, by all accounts.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Avengers aside, no superhero has an established brand that the public trusts like it does Star Wars. Every other superhero film has lived or died on advanced hype and word of mouth from fans of the characters.

Can you back this up?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

How do you explain Guardians of the Galaxy?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Sounds like the X-Men post-credits scene teases Mister Sinister. So he'll probably be the villain in the sequel or the Gambit movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Going from Apocolypse to Mr. Sinister seems like a large downgrade in threat.

They also have a very similar power set.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Pretty sure Sinister is only going to be a minor threat. The real meat of 90s X-Men is going to be Jean dealing with the Phoenix Force trying to take her over.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Nah, there is just a rule that Peter has to die in What If stories.

Regarding X-men, Sinister makes a whole lot of sense as a stand-in for the Hellfire Club if not the actual head of the Hellfire Club.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Early reviews are not being kind to X-men. A solid 57% right now

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x_men_apocalypse/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Pros: 30% higher than Batman v Superman
Cons: 2% lower than the Angry Birds Movie.

They're probably on the phone right now begging Ryan Reynolds to do a cameo in the next X-Men film. :v:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pros: 30% higher than Batman v Superman
Cons: 2% lower than the Angry Birds Movie.

They're probably on the phone right now begging Ryan Reynolds to do a cameo in the next X-Men film. :v:

Just give it to that team. It'd be great.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

a critic posted:

Its ham-fisted, overemotional script, completely bereft of charm or ingenuity, its unremarkable villain and second-rate special effects make X-Men: Apocalypse the least successful of the recent Marvel entries.

So it's like every other Singer movie then.
"Charles. He was a mutant! Oohhawaooh?! OK, Magneto, I'll just take your word for it that JFK was a mutant

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kulkasha posted:

"Charles. He was a mutant! Oohhawaooh?! OK, Magneto, I'll just take your word for it that JFK was a mutant
That's a weird thing to still be mad about.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kulkasha posted:

So it's like every other Singer movie then.

I forgot about this, and it's awesome.

http://xmenmovies.wikia.com/wiki/John_F._Kennedy

quote:

Background

In January 1961, President Kennedy commissioned the construction of an underground bunker deep beneath the White House's living quarters, to be used to house his brother Robert F. Kennedy and help him hone his control over his mutation. Code-named "Cocoon", this bunker was designed under the pretence of constructing private living quarters for Robert during Jackie Kennedy's extensive renovations to the Oval Office's living quarters.

I want to see a movie about mutant President Kennedy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FabioClone posted:

that's not even the best part

posted:

Actually, Kennedy had no known powers.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

FabioClone posted:

http://xmenmovies.wikia.com/wiki/John_F._Kennedy

I want to see a movie about mutant President Kennedy.

His special power is Addison's Disease :smith:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tiberius Christ posted:

Slipknot, the most successful member of Team Suicide.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

The Attempted Suicide Squad

The This Is Really More Of A Cry For Help Squad

oddium posted:

that's not even the best part

His power was to survive multiple STDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012