Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackofHearts
Jan 3, 2012

I seriously cannot imagine life without me.

Rexxed posted:

Yeah I'd expect almost all mouse manufacturers to use Omron switches. I replaced the one that double clicked in my old MX1000 and now it works fine. You have to desolder in some tight spaces to replace the switches in some mice, though.

I've done this twice, once with a Roccat XTD, once with some Logitech thing. They all seem to use Omron (D2FC) switches. Nice and crisp, but both ended up double-dicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I have two huge hands. Beyond the obvious penis size implications, I've been needing a way bigger mouse than this cheapo, but one that doesn't look like I'm about to retake the bombsite in public places- I need to look good while I use the sucker. I need to look great. So tell me please

Zowie EC1-A or FK 1

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

cerious posted:

My G500 I picked up in 2009/10 is starting to show its age, and I'm thinking of picking up a replacement. I'm really used to the G500, so I was considering picking up a G500s off amazon since it looks pretty identical. However I'm fine with waiting for a sale on the G502 for $50 so to me getting one or the other is interchangeable.

With that in mind, are there any negatives from moving from a G500 all the way to a G502? Or should I just stick to picking up an older model in the G500s?

Trip report: my G500 got worse so I picked up a G502 asap. It feels very similar to the G500, maybe slightly smaller, but it took only an hour to get fully adjusted. But it has an extra button below the free scroll button that I used to shift my keys for additional functions, which I didn't expect I would appreciate this much. Turned the 3 thumb keys alt keys to refresh and flip between browser tabs, which I'm getting a lot of use out of. The scroll wheel is also only one component, so it doesn't seem like it will wear down on the edges like on the G500.

It also pulses pretty rainbow colors when I'm using it :pcgaming:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I tried using my 602 and after using my 502 for so long I just couldn't do it, it was so uncomfortable in comparison I was actively avoiding using my mouse. I'll definitely try out the 900 at some point as this isn't the perfect mouse, but it's ruined me on most other mice.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I've had some high end gaming mice such as the Logitech G9x and the Mad Catz R.A.T. 9. Now I've upgraded my mouse again as I have had problems with the batteries and charging station on the R.A.T. 9. This time I have chosen to get the Logitech G900, and so far I feel like it is my favorite mouse I have ever owned. Syncing the lighting with my G933 headset is cool. The mousewheel is the best that I have ever used. It's an improvement over the G9x mouse, which had my previous favorite wheel. The buttons for the increased and decreased DPI are conveniently located. The mechanical left and right mouse buttons feel like the best I've used as well. The mouse has the best response among any wired or wireless mouse that I've owned. If you're a gaming enthusiast with a loose budget I'd say definitely give this one a consideration.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Uhg, the mousewheel click on my Naos is starting to go. It's not even that old. :smith:

But I just sold some junk to clear out my basement and now I have exactly $150 in spare cash. :shepspends:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

G-Philez posted:

I've had some high end gaming mice such as the Logitech G9x and the Mad Catz R.A.T. 9. Now I've upgraded my mouse again as I have had problems with the batteries and charging station on the R.A.T. 9. This time I have chosen to get the Logitech G900, and so far I feel like it is my favorite mouse I have ever owned. Syncing the lighting with my G933 headset is cool. The mousewheel is the best that I have ever used. It's an improvement over the G9x mouse, which had my previous favorite wheel. The buttons for the increased and decreased DPI are conveniently located. The mechanical left and right mouse buttons feel like the best I've used as well. The mouse has the best response among any wired or wireless mouse that I've owned. If you're a gaming enthusiast with a loose budget I'd say definitely give this one a consideration.

Thanks for this review. My g9X is finally starting to fail. I loved this mouse, it's got great buttons and the DPI adjusters are in an awesome place and I loved the two thumb buttons and grip style, but the interface between the shell you have to put on and the thumb-buttons isn't as good as it used to be and the cable cover frayed apart in the middle.

As a dirty moba player I'm looking for a comfortable device with a mousewheel I can click furiously forever, some simple thumb buttons, DPI adjustment, and a strong PC connection.

The 402 and 602 have the nice rubber wheels that I wanted to try. The 502 wheel looks strange and heavy and the 702 has the same fairly painful wheel the g9x has that would be great for anything except mobas.
The 602 seemed most attractive, but that wall of daggers by the thumb and both the 602 and the 700's durability reviews had me holding out.

I'm glad the 900 doesn't raise up as much as the 602 and 700s do too. And I'm looking forward to making its robot spine pink.

Ursoph Haz
Jul 23, 2014

I was just gonna say "yes buy it" purely because you asked....but that's neither constructive or informative. I'm also a bit late to the buffet....

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wish bestbuy would get the 900 in store so i could buy it, try it, and return it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Don Lapre posted:

Wish bestbuy would get the 900 in store so i could buy it, try it, and return it.
I'd say you're a bad person but I too end up trying and then returning like 3/4 things I purchase from Best Buy

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I'd say you're a bad person but I too end up trying and then returning like 3/4 things I purchase from Best Buy
Thus we find the reason for Best Buy's 15-day return policy. :colbert:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I brought a g502 deathadder and ec2a to try and returned the first two. Nothing wrong with that.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Kone XTD and I really love the shape but it always felt a bit shoddily made. The mouse wheel wobbles and one of the "DPI" buttons in the middle doesn't click properly any more, it's kind of mushy. It's old and long past warranty period so I need to just replace it.

I haven't looked at gaming mice for years so I'm totally lost as to what is good these days and most review sites seem to get excited about DPI and poo poo. I'm mostly just a casual gamer, I play The Division and WoW and a few other things but nothing ultra twitchy. I use high sensitivity even though everyone tells me that's bad and I like a big mouse that I can palm grip. Don't need wireless.

Is there a mouse that's a similar same size/shape at the Kone, maybe with some extra side buttons, but actually well built?

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Trip report: Naos 7000 has satisfied me. I previously used Intellimouses and a Razor Mamba and the shape is similar, great sensor.

gtech
Jan 6, 2009

The best development in mousing for me was getting a multi AA battery charging bay and around 6 rechargeable batteries. Anytime the mouse runs out of charge, it takes all of 5 seconds to hotswap.

I'm using the MX master, the battery lasts for weeks and it's a solid mouse in general. Only the bluetooth functionality is abysmal and the customization options leave something to be desired when coming away from the g series.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've been using a razer deathadder mouse at home ever since seeing one in a shop reduced and liking it enough to not really care about replacing it but i've been doing some stuff at work recently where I needed something more high precision than my work mouse so brought it in and have realised how much i prefer it to my cheap work mouse.

Whats a good wireless mouse in the £30/$50 or so range that is right handed and has back/forward buttons on the side. USB recharging or whatever would be nice but i've no idea how common that is

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jose posted:

I've been using a razer deathadder mouse at home ever since seeing one in a shop reduced and liking it enough to not really care about replacing it but i've been doing some stuff at work recently where I needed something more high precision than my work mouse so brought it in and have realised how much i prefer it to my cheap work mouse.

Whats a good wireless mouse in the £30/$50 or so range that is right handed and has back/forward buttons on the side. USB recharging or whatever would be nice but i've no idea how common that is

The best wireless mice are the Logitech G602 and the new logitech G900. The G602 doesn't do recharging, but the batteries last for months. The G900 does do recharging, and is the better mouse in most respects, but it's significantly more expensive. Personally I don't like USB recharging though - The inconvenience associated with keeping a back of batteries in my drawer and swapping them out every 3 months is minimal. With rechargeable batteries, if you're lucky you'll get a week out of the batteries when they're new, then within a few months you'll be needing to recharge the batteries daily, and you'll end up replacing them anyway.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The best wireless mice are the Logitech G602 and the new logitech G900. The G602 doesn't do recharging, but the batteries last for months. The G900 does do recharging, and is the better mouse in most respects, but it's significantly more expensive. Personally I don't like USB recharging though - The inconvenience associated with keeping a back of batteries in my drawer and swapping them out every 3 months is minimal. With rechargeable batteries, if you're lucky you'll get a week out of the batteries when they're new, then within a few months you'll be needing to recharge the batteries daily, and you'll end up replacing them anyway.

Or you can you know.... Get the productivity designed Logitech mouse instead of the gaming one for work.

Mx master

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I tried the G900 and returned it in a week. The grip felt repulsive compared to the G502. It also didn't really feel like $150, y'know? It felt as well built as the G502. Also it functionally only has five buttons, and you can't even change it's weight. A $150 mouse.

Put the G900 sensor and wireless technology in the G502 and I'd buy that for $150.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 12, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Put the g900 sensor and tech in a razer mamba

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Mutant Standard posted:

I tried the G900 and returned it in a week. The grip felt repulsive compared to the G502. It also didn't really feel like $150, y'know? It felt as well built as the G502. Also it functionally only has five buttons, and you can't even change it's weight. A $150 mouse.

Put the G900 sensor and wireless technology in the G502 and I'd buy that for $150.

Goo: "I spent hundreds of man-hours meticulously lightweighting every component in the G900 to achieve only 107g"

Some dude on the internet: "No adjustable weights and only five buttons?? Bluegggh *pisses and shits in own pants*"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mutant Standard posted:

The G502 is an extremely well-built mouse and the G900 inherited its 3366 sensor, which is why it was such a big deal in the first place. Its weight is also very good for what's in the package, heavier is always worse when precision performance matters. Uninformed goon demands :knope:

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 12, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ColHannibal posted:

Or you can you know.... Get the productivity designed Logitech mouse instead of the gaming one for work.

Mx master

i had a look at these and now work might buy me one when i was going to pay for it myself :getin:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The G502 is an extremely well-built mouse and the G900 inherited its 3366 sensor, which is why it was such a big deal in the first place. Its weight is also very good for what's in the package, heavier is always worse when precision performance matters. Uninformed goon demands :knope:
So the sensor isn't even better then? Well, at least it has the improved wireless. It's pretty good wireless! It's a shame it's only on an $150 ambidextrous mouse with four buttons and a static weight.

Also adjustable weights is a pretty impactful feature! It let's you find your own style of grip and movement. It's nice that it's light, but it still is weighted in the back and some people hate that.

less weight doesn't mean better

Trisk posted:

Goo: "I spent hundreds of man-hours meticulously lightweighting every component in the G900 to achieve only 107g"

Some dude on the internet: "No adjustable weights and only five buttons?? Bluegggh *pisses and shits in own pants*"
A one hundred and fifty dollar mouse with less features than mice that cost two or three times less than that. Aside from it's wireless capabilities it's a downgrade from a G502 and it costs twice as much.

And yeah, it would be very nice if it felt like $150 when you held it. The MX Master feels better than this.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 12, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Which it should, because the MX Master is a godsend.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm not sure if has been mentioned in this thread already or not, but I recently purchased a Kensington Orbit Trackball Mouse for my mac/protools machine and I completely love it.

I always thought getting around OSX with multiple monitors was kind of a huge pain in the rear end but this thing gets around quick and accurately. I really want to get the expert model that has two extra function keys now to make getting around even less of a pain/protools shortcuts. It's only 20$ too so it's a pretty good budget option for people ITT looking for that kind of thing.

Also the scroll wheel totally kicks rear end. Best trackball mouse I've used so far.

I use a g500 on my windows/gaming machine and I also love that too FWIW. I had a G9X before that and I really didn't like the whole 'clawgrip' mouse thing.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Got an MX Master less than 2 weeks ago and was happy with it until I noticed the ratchet mode was less and less ratchety.. played with turning off the auto free wheel biz and all other potentially associated settings in Options but no dice.

Right I finally got around to opening the case with Logitech and they flat out said return it as it is a hardware issue so back to Amazon. Don't really want to risk another MX Master given this seems to be a common fault but there's nothing else in Logitech's lineup that has "hyper scrolling" and a thumb rest button other than the old Revolution. Do any other manufacturers do the "hyper scrolling" thing?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Nope. Try another Master and see if you have better luck if you want to still use the auto clutch wheel.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
FWIW a co-worker has the MX Master and loves it. He hasn't had your experience, so it was likely a fluke.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh baby it's G900 time. Here's my preliminary day1 review:

Body Shape & Build: Light and fluffy just as advertised. It reminds me a little of the Avior 7000 in that it's a larger sized amidex mouse that's raised up a bit, but without the extra-high butt that mouse had. It feels very solidly built.

HOWEVER, to my hands the shape is just not as good as the Naos, not even close. It's not a bad shape mind you, not actively making me angry like the G302, but it doesn't fit like a glove like the Naos does. If the Naos was a 10/10 and the G502 was an 8/10, this would be a pretty solid 6/10, just in terms of shape. (The G302 would be a 0/10)

Weight distribution is a thing. Some people have complained about it, the weight is definitely towards the back (where the battery is), you can feel it right away. I'm still trying to feel it actually matters to me or not, it doesn't feel bad yet but it might be one of those things you start to notice when you're playing something pretty serious. The reduced weight from the G502 is fantastic though, and honestly was one of the major selling points for me.

Buttons:Great, love them. Every main button feels great to click. The LMB and RMB are definitely a little stiffer than some mice, I can see what people are saying about them, but for my hands and purposes they aren't anywhere stiff enough to be a problem. I've heard people who play very high APM games aren't fans though, which I can understand.

Mouse Wheel: Much improved over the G502. Doesn't weigh a drat ton, and there's only a tiny bit of mouse wheel rattle when shaking the mouse quite fast. More or less feels like the G502's otherwise, the wheel isn't super accurate in Step mode (seems to be a general problem with Logitech mice) as it still will occasionally not count a 'step' when you roll once, but it's plenty good enough for my purposes.

HOWEVER, the Wheel Click still has the same problem I have with the G502: It's much easier to Tilt Left/Right than it is to MMB Click. Now, this is barely a problem for me because on the G502 I just trained myself to use Tilt Left as MMB and everything was totally fine. Can even use Tilt Right as another function button as well (I set it to F5 for web browsing personally). If the Naos wheel is a 10/10, this gets a solid 8/10.

Feet: I've seen this brought up in a few places. The feet on this mouse are really low. I find I catch the bottom corners of the mouse on the pad while dragging it around sometimes, guess I'm just used to taller feet. There are some aftermarket feet available at least, I'll see if I adjust over time or not.

Software and all that: Same as other mice in this series. From all the mice I've used I still like Logitech's software and profile support the best of the bunch. The Battery tab for the G900 gives you a breakdown of power consumption and time remaining, I kind of wish it would tell you this info on the tray icon instead, but I guess I hardly keep the software running anyway.

Wireless: Witchcraft. Fast charging, pretty seemless transition, imperceptible difference. The cord itself is even very nice when you have to use it. Absolutely loving the freedom of wireless so far.

Desktopping and General Gaming: I'll admit it, I keep Enhanced Pointer Precision on. I like the accel for general pointering, just not for FPSs and that like. Anyway, it feels totally fine to me, running at 400 DPI as normal, no complaints about typical usage stuff. Feels just like pointing with the G502 or Naos.

Twitch Gaming Performance: No Overwatch for another week and a half? :shepicide: STAY TUNED :shepicide:

Request for Goo: Let me set the DPI indicator on the mouse to always show remaining battery power all the time. I personally have no need for DPI settings so I'd like to make those lights do something more useful.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
So all I gotta do is buy a 502 for that post to mean anything, gotcha

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's the difference between the discontinued g502 core and the g502 spectrum?

Also should I get a new mousepad? I have an old FUNC surface 1030. Everything went back to those cloth mats after the old gaming pads used to be all about the hard plastic ones. Those gigantic pads are confusing to me, but I barely move my mouse when I'm gaming so maybe I'm just not very good?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

KingKapalone posted:

What's the difference between the discontinued g502 core and the g502 spectrum?

Just RGB I think

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
For those of us older gamers who find the MX510/MX518 and the G400/G400S a good shape - I think I've finally found two good alternatives. Mionix Castor and Roccat Kone Pure MIlitary - with the Kone being a slightly better fit. But if you grip your mouse the way you did the older Logitech ones, I think these are the best way to go.

Not even the successor Logitech mice match the comfort that the Kone has - it just feels maybe a small bit shorter than the G400. Otherwise, I think this is a great mouse - especially since you can catch it on sale pretty often.

Also Mionix just has wonderful quality. I have a Castor and a Naos and they're both well built - just the Naos is too wide.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

So all I gotta do is buy a 502 for that post to mean anything, gotcha
:thumbsup:

Not sure why you're being an rear end about it, I made comparisons to other popular gaming mice like the Naos, Avior and G302 (namely, gaming mice I have actual first hand experience with) as well as giving some non-relative opinions. The G502 is the most comparable mouse to it that I have used and a lot of the design is very similar in nature so it's a pretty natural thing to compare against.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Feet: I've seen this brought up in a few places. The feet on this mouse are really low. I find I catch the bottom corners of the mouse on the pad while dragging it around sometimes, guess I'm just used to taller feet. There are some aftermarket feet available at least, I'll see if I adjust over time or not.

What pad are you using that you are dragging on? I recently switched to the Zowie G-SR and it seems fine, no dragging issues.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Trisk posted:

What pad are you using that you are dragging on? I recently switched to the Zowie G-SR and it seems fine, no dragging issues.

What actually is happening is if I just tilt the mouse ever so slightly it will start to drag along the side corners (near the top and middle feet). It's normally fine, but apparently I am instinctively not always lifting the whole mouse off the pad when I am repositioning it.

It's a QCK+ for what that's worth, I've considered looking at other mouse pads but just never get around to doing it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, I'm suddenly running into the oddest problems right now with my G600.

All of a sudden the side mouse keys don't work. That is, the mouse can still detect it working. I can bind left click to a side button and when I test the profile with LGS and it'll detect it when I use test profile. It will not detect any keyboard binding.

I'm on Windows 10.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have a Logitech G700s.

It is double clicking, maybe 1/4 clicks are double clicks.

This is the warranty replacement of the G700 I had before that was doing the same thing.

It's the only mouse that meets my requirements, I believe. Is there another mouse that:
1) mac compatible
2) wireless
3) lots of buttons

Or can I just order some micro switches from somewhere and replace them, since everything else works just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wild EEPROM posted:

I have a Logitech G700s.

It is double clicking, maybe 1/4 clicks are double clicks.

This is the warranty replacement of the G700 I had before that was doing the same thing.

It's the only mouse that meets my requirements, I believe. Is there another mouse that:
1) mac compatible
2) wireless
3) lots of buttons

Or can I just order some micro switches from somewhere and replace them, since everything else works just fine

Looks like it's an easy fix if you're not afraid to desolder the daughterboard with the switches on it and then the switches:
http://www.khangfixesit.com/2014/03/logitech-g700-mouse-switch-replacement.html

The comments say it's using Omron D2FC-F-7N switches which are a buck a piece on amazon and cheaper on ebay (like 5 for $2 or less). It'll void your warranty but I did it on an MX-1000 and it works fine now.