Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

There are forwarders set up so that mail hits the old server and is forwarded to office 365 appropriately. Except a copy of the original message remains trapped in the queue, forever.

Lol this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

There are forwarders set up so that mail hits the old server and is forwarded to office 365 appropriately. Except a copy of the original message remains trapped in the queue, forever.

I'm sorry, but...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(not sorry)

Hey it could be worse. You could be picking up trash as well.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

except email instead of supervillains

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

air- posted:

Believe you have to clear both a developer and a sysops certification to even qualify, and it sounds there's very few people worldwide who have the pro level AWS certs (or I guess all 5).

Nah you only have to do the entry level Sysadmin exam to qualify for the devops exam

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

fluppet posted:

Nah you only have to do the entry level Sysadmin exam to qualify for the devops exam

And be of millennial age, preferably with no self worth.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is it true that you cannot retrieve e-mails older than 90 days without legal action against Microsoft? We have a user that is disabled in AD and we need to retrieve e-mails from around 6 months ago. Apparently that's not possible without a subpoena.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you deleted a mailbox then it's likely that the data is not going to be retrievable regardless of whether you subpoena Microsoft.

A bit late but if you think you need to have copies of user emails retained then you need to be looking at the Office 365 features/products designed for this:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637980(v=exchg.150).aspx

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
The last cert I got (Sun Solaris Certified Administrator or some garbage) was because my previous employer told a customer they had certified staff to manage their account. When they won the business, they tossed me in a cert class that they paid for, as well as the actual cert tests (which were $600 each)

If your employer demands certs for anyone with appreciable experience for a new job, they are stupid and you should not work for them.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks Ants posted:

If you deleted a mailbox then it's likely that the data is not going to be retrievable regardless of whether you subpoena Microsoft.

A bit late but if you think you need to have copies of user emails retained then you need to be looking at the Office 365 features/products designed for this:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637980(v=exchg.150).aspx

Is it reasonable to spin up an Exchange server locally to create a duplicate of the e-mail database from Office 365?

We actually migrated from local Exchange up to Office 365, but the management team didn't know about the Microsoft policy regarding older e-mails. My boss any SysAdmin are freaking out about this right now. The mailbox in question shouldn't have been deleted; only the AD account was disabled.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nitrogen posted:

The last cert I got (Sun Solaris Certified Administrator or some garbage) was because my previous employer told a customer they had certified staff to manage their account. When they won the business, they tossed me in a cert class that they paid for, as well as the actual cert tests (which were $600 each)

If your employer demands certs for anyone with appreciable experience for a new job, they are stupid and you should not work for them.

ehhhhhh... I don't know if that's a hard and fast rule. Particularly with regards to network certs.
I could see a 'network engineer' resting on his laurels at a cushy small government job for 15 years and not brushing up.
Personally I think most certs are dumb and would rather just require my candidates to take an assessment test.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

nitrogen posted:

They are required to contract with the government, among other things.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah. Regulated customers typically require them, especially the government.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Personally I think most certs are dumb and would rather just require my candidates to take an assessment test.

Why are certifications dumb and an assessment test for applicants isn't?

Businesses wanting certs for stupid reasons is not an indictment of the concept of vendor certifications. The real issue is lovely hiring practices where a hiring manager ejaculates acronyms all over a job posting in hopes that they'll A) find a unicorn or B) be "unable to find qualified applicants" to justify an H1B.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I learned this the hard way: assessment tests are a good way to get senior engineers to walk out of the interview without saying a word to you or anyone else.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If I had to write a test/exam like that for a job interview I'd walk the gently caress out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vulture Culture posted:

I learned this the hard way: assessment tests are a good way to get senior engineers to walk out of the interview without saying a word to you or anyone else.

That had to be glorious.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
When I was interviewing for some terrible MSP (with every wall painted a different color and people walking around with paper crowns) I watched an hour of propaganda regarding how fun the company was in slideshow form and then wrote a 30 minute long assessment.

I got 31/30, I was the first person to ever ace it and I got a bonus mark because I elaborated on how snapshots were not backups when there was a question about them.

Still didn't get the job because I wasn't fun enough for them.

:shrug:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

"So as I detailed on my resume, in my last position I was the lead architect for our enterprise-wide VMAX storage refresh proj-"

"What is the maximum length of a SATA cable?"

"Eh- ...excuse me? Well, 1 meter, but I don't see how that's rel-"

"Correct. What is the maximum number of devices allowed on a single Ultra2 bus?"

"...When was this test writ-"

"WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF DEVICES ALLOWED ON A SINGLE ULTRA2 BUS?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Methanar posted:

When I was interviewing for some terrible MSP (with every wall painted a different color and people walking around with paper crowns) I watched an hour of propaganda regarding how fun the company was in slideshow form and then wrote a 30 minute long assessment.

I got 31/30, I was the first person to ever ace it and I got a bonus mark because I elaborated on how snapshots were not backups when there was a question about them.

Still didn't get the job because I wasn't fun enough for them.

:shrug:

So you have a customer in the middle of an outage and they prefer someone who can hold a beer in one hand, ride a scooter around the office and toot a horn than the ability to fix things?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

One thing I've never been sure of but am probably overthinking because it's not 1900 anymore. Is it rude to accept a water / coffee at an interview if it's offered?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

22 Eargesplitten posted:

One thing I've never been sure of but am probably overthinking because it's not 1900 anymore. Is it rude to accept a water / coffee at an interview if it's offered?

No. If anything, accepting would actually help because you've got something to sip to keep your throat and mouth from drying out, or to stall for time while you think through your response. Comedians, public speakers and panelists always have a glass of water on hand for the same reasons.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pull out a flask from your pocket instead to show them how fun you are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cenodoxus posted:

"So as I detailed on my resume, in my last position I was the lead architect for our enterprise-wide VMAX storage refresh proj-"

"Correct. What is the maximum number of devices allowed on a single Ultra2 bus?"

"You have failed."

"Toss him into the pit with the MCSE's!"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"You have failed."

"Toss him into the pit with the MCSE's!"

The pit is full of Novell certified technicians.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cenodoxus posted:

I DON'T KNOW HOW LARGE IS YOUR INDUSTRIAL TRASH COMPACTOR

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Cenodoxus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5CHjiuFehU&t=9s

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Methanar posted:

I elaborated on how snapshots were not backups when there was a question about them.

Snapshots can certainly be backups. People saying "snapshots aren't backups" when they really mean "local snapshots should not be the only facet in your data protection and recovery strategy" is a pet peeve of mine.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

NippleFloss posted:

Snapshots can certainly be backups. People saying "snapshots aren't backups" when they really mean "local snapshots should not be the only facet in your data protection and recovery strategy" is a pet peeve of mine.

Snapshots create a constantly growing delta file. If you snapshot a database you can fill up a drive and kill the host at a random time in the future. You also can't selectively restore from a snapshot, you have to roll back the whole thing.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Roargasm posted:

Snapshots create a constantly growing delta file. If you snapshot a database you can fill up a drive and kill the host at a random time in the future. You also can't selectively restore from a snapshot, you have to roll back the whole thing.

Probably thinking more along the lines of VSS, which does allow selective restore of files, and is a very good restore tool in general.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I have a side job rebuilding the wifi for a local bar. My plan is to go all Ubiquiti Unifi, since it has that insanely easy management interface and I can just leave it as a turnkey for the owner.

I have not worked with their UniFi switches or firewall device(the UniFi Security Gateway) but looking at the UniFi controller it seems pretty simple. Anyone have any experience with setting this up?

Also, I have no idea what to quote for labor. I am going to be bringing in a friend to pull cable for me, so will need to give him a share. I was thinking of quoting 1k for labor, paying the cable puller 1-200, and possibly negotiating some of that as pay me in beer instead of cash(instead of 1k, ask for 800 + 400 worth of bar tab). Is this a sane price?

TIA

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 17, 2016

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

RFC2324 posted:

I have a side job rebuilding the wifi for a local bar. My plan is to go all Ubiquiti Unifi, since it has that insanely easy management interface and I can just leave it as a turnkey for the owner.

I have not worked with their UniFi switches or firewall device(the UniFi Security Gateway) but looking at the UniFi controller it seems pretty simple. Anyone have any experience with setting this up?

Also, I have no idea what to quote for labor. I am going to be bringing in a friend to pull cable for me, so will need to give him a share. I was thinking of quoting 1k for labor, paying the cable puller 1-200, and possibly negotiating some of that as pay me in beer instead of cash(instead of 1k, ask for 800 + 400 worth of bar tab). Is this a sane price?

TIA

No experience with UniFi, but I do have experience with contract work. Figure roughly how many hours you think it'll take you, add 20% on top of that, then ask for 25% up front because they will stiff you on the bill. Make sure you draw up even a very simple contract with the extent of what you're going to do, what successful completion involves (setting up all of the devices, whatever) and the limitations on support afterwards or adequate recompense for after-install support, because if anything goes wrong they will fully expect you to be fixing it for free.

gently caress contract work forever.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cthulhuite posted:

No experience with UniFi, but I do have experience with contract work. Figure roughly how many hours you think it'll take you, add 20% on top of that, then ask for 25% up front because they will stiff you on the bill. Make sure you draw up even a very simple contract with the extent of what you're going to do, what successful completion involves (setting up all of the devices, whatever) and the limitations on support afterwards or adequate recompense for after-install support, because if anything goes wrong they will fully expect you to be fixing it for free.

gently caress contract work forever.

Oh, I already have plans on the how to set up support expectations - I'll give him 30 days of it from the time of completion, including showing him how to work it, then any and all requests for support will run ~$100/hr, with a minimum of 3 hours. I just don't really know how to price the initial labor, since I have never done this on my own before.

It is my local bar, so its not like I won't be in all the time, and willing to work for beer. I'm just going to set out the rules and point out that I can always fall back on the contract if it gets onerous.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Roargasm posted:

Since this is Nipplefloss, he's probably talking about storage level snapshots, not VMWare snapshots.

While storage snapshots can grow over time, it's not as bad as VMWare with a pure delta file. You can write the same block over and over again and the delta in VMware would continue grow. That doesn't happen on storage. It writes a new block if it changes, that's it. If it changes again, it just updates that block.

If you have a 100% changeover in data, your storage snap could hit the full size of the volume, but that's it. It won't lead to the hilarious VMWare situation of a 1tb snapshot for a 30gb machine.

Storage also typically compresses and dedupes snapshots.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

RFC2324 posted:

Oh, I already have plans on the how to set up support expectations - I'll give him 30 days of it from the time of completion, including showing him how to work it, then any and all requests for support will run ~$100/hr, with a minimum of 3 hours. I just don't really know how to price the initial labor, since I have never done this on my own before.

It is my local bar, so its not like I won't be in all the time, and willing to work for beer. I'm just going to set out the rules and point out that I can always fall back on the contract if it gets onerous.

The UniFi switches are good, the APs are good, I wasn't really impressed with the USG but if you just want a basic box that does NAT and splits off a VLAN for public access Wi-Fi and another VLAN for the bar to use for a back office PC and card terminals then it should do the trick.

I haven't touched the USG for 18 months so my impression might be out of date, but it had nothing in the way of features when it first launched. Check the Ubnt forums for a more up-to-date idea of what it does, and don't believe the data sheets.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

bull3964 posted:

Since this is Nipplefloss, he's probably talking about storage level snapshots, not VMWare snapshots.

While storage snapshots can grow over time, it's not as bad as VMWare with a pure delta file. You can write the same block over and over again and the delta in VMware would continue grow. That doesn't happen on storage. It writes a new block if it changes, that's it. If it changes again, it just updates that block.

If you have a 100% changeover in data, your storage snap could hit the full size of the volume, but that's it. It won't lead to the hilarious VMWare situation of a 1tb snapshot for a 30gb machine.

Storage also typically compresses and dedupes snapshots.

That's fine as long as your storage firmware never, ever, ever has a bug. Ever. And never gets exploded by a faulty power supply or a runaway dolly carrying a few hundreds pounds of equipment. Or an admin mistakenly executes delete and eradicate on that LUN named test03-2014-07 that got promoted to prod after the consultant left. Yes, there are plenty of other common single points of failure in most people's backup plans, but a single array device represents a really huge SPOF that a lot of lovely sales reps try to pretend isn't one and mislead people about it.

A wheel is not a car, even if it's an extremely important component of most cars. :caranology: I will however fully admit to having a biased perspective because part of my job is to get called in when someone fucks up their "snapshots are my database backups".

phone posting and too lazy to look up the real smilie

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

RAID is not backup. Snapshots are not backups. A backup is something which cannot be destroyed by the catastrophic failure of the primary data. RAID and Snapshots provide resiliency to faults and convenient point in time views of your data. They will not save you if the raid controller shits the bed and writes garbage data into half of your COW map. Ideally a backup can withstand the catastrophic failure of the primary broadest likely failure domain, which is generally the building being destroyed by fire or natural disaster.

Blurring the line might be OK in your head, but most people you work with, near, and around don't know that there is a line being blurred and may mistake your casual attitude towards calling snapshots a backup as a way to save money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Which is why he also qualified it with not being local.

SAN to SAN snapshot replication is a cheap and easy way get everything offsite quickly. It's better than a lot of the janky backup solutions out there and can be a lot more effective strategy if you don't have a dedicated backup admin.

Yes, you should perform other types of backups to other media if you want to have good coverage for all circumstances. But it's a good baseline to have.

If a bunch of machines got compromised by a cryptolock, you better believe my first source of restore is going to be mounting a snap as a new lun and firing up the VMs there rather than restoring them from Veeam. One is a few minutes recovery while the other is a few hour.

Use snaps as part of your backup strategy. Don't rely solely on them for super important data, but replicated snaps can be very effective for low cost of maintenance.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I meant VMware snapshots, sorry.

I saw the server room today.

"wsus database"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

High-five AS400 buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I have cabling like that in my server room, unfortunately. One day I'll get around to cleaning it up.

No USB drives on the floor, though. That's exciting.

E: I mean it isn't ALL like that, just a few loose cables that must have been patched in and never re-organized.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 18, 2016