Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Stellaris came out last week. It is a space 4X. I've been considering sober Star Wars mods! One of the hangups at the moment are the ship classes: Stellaris has four of them.

Corvette (X-wing/TIE Fighter)
Destroyer (???/Decimater?)
Cruiser (CR-90/Star Destroyer?)
Battleship (???/Super Star Destroyer?)

I'm no longer an expert on ships that aren't in this game and the only ones I can think of either aren't well known or you wouldn't want multiples of in the fleet (like a Falcon).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

So in case there was any doubt about what Rogue One will bring to X-Wings...

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/big-news-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-character-names-ships-descriptions-more/

There will be two new ships, the U-Wing ("balances speed with the firepower of proton torpedo launchers") on the Rebel side and the TIE Striker ("an aerial assault vehicle") for the Imperials, as well as I'm sure new X-Wing, Y-Wing, and probably a variety of new TIE pilots.

I wonder how they'll shoehorn these into X-Wing. I wonder how they'll fit yet another goddamn TIE Fighter in without making something else redundant.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Geisladisk posted:

I wonder how they'll shoehorn these into X-Wing. I wonder how they'll fit yet another goddamn TIE Fighter in without making something else redundant.

I have to think that FFG has been prepared for this possibility since before TFA came out, and I'm sure they have some tricks up their sleeve considering that we're likely to get new TIEs or TIE-like fighters in Ep 8 and 9 as well. The new mechanics and upgrades introduced in Heroes of the Resistance do inspire some confidence in their ability to spice up what could otherwise be boring new ships.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Found this on the UK/IRL facebook group for X-Wing:

The new TIE on the top right is apparently a TIE Striker.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Played three games last night, first one against alg. First two I was trying out a 4 ship Imp build with Soontir, Zeta Leader, Academy, and OL. Both games Soontir died on the first turn without firing a shot thanks to evade ignoring mechanics (AC+AB ghost and 5 dice ps 10 Homing Missile). Both were moderately my fault in positioning and not having room to barrel roll by less than a millimeter.

So, gently caress it, I'm going back to Brobots for now. They're still evasive, without simply auto dying because they ended up in the same general area as a Ghost. Third game was played with the Predator and Advanced Sensors build a page or two back, and it did really well. I still had to shoot a loving Z95 with 6 shots from the IG to actually kill it thanks to my per-normal terrible dice (best was range 1 shot with Predator and focus through a rock, 2 hits, Z95 gets 2 natural evades, trigger ion cannon gunner shot, 3 hits, rolls 3 evades).

Being able to consistent focus and sloop, and in one case boost then sloop, was awesome.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 17, 2016

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Thanks for the idea. It also helped me to figure out the rest of my list.

I can add predator Wedge and an R2 Astro for round 2.

Then VI Jake can be added round 3

With just enough points for the K-Wing bomber to mess with someone's day in the final round.

I was contemplating just going with more X-Wings, but I don't have enough points to put anything worthwhile on Luke in round 3, and I only have 2 IA cards.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Eimi posted:

Also apparently there's an escalation tournament going on this weekend, and I have no idea how to set up a list for that. I also don't want to steal your ideas. Is there any good general advice on how to plan for one?

Orvin posted:

I also have an escalation tournament this weekend. I am a little worried about going up against Omega Leader in the first or second round. He can be paired with Vader (everything but VI) or Soontir (minus stealth device or juke on OL) to make a somewhat hard to kill list.

I ALSO have an Escalation Tournament this weekend! Any chance either of you are in VA?

I'm excited to start with OL against any other 60pt build, and then finish with Palp/Ol/Vader/Whisper. :getin:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
179 tiny paper boxes later, the project is done*

*until I buy the assault carrier and the ghost :negative:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

MeinPanzer posted:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/05/big-news-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-character-names-ships-descriptions-more/

There will be two new ships, the U-Wing ("balances speed with the firepower of proton torpedo launchers") on the Rebel side and the TIE Striker ("an aerial assault vehicle") for the Imperials, as well as I'm sure new X-Wing, Y-Wing, and probably a variety of new TIE pilots.

Huh, the U-Wing has an interesting design that looks more like an air speeder. Mechanically for Xwing I dunno how it'll work, as already the XWing, YWing, and BWing are supposed to be torpedo platforms. I guess they can just say two slots with an ept for the ps4 generic? :v: Given the design, probably two agility at least. The TIE striker reminds me of the Bloodmark from SWTOR so that's cool, but yeah no idea how it'd matter mechanically. At least with the TIE/fo mk2 you can get an Aux firing arc or a turret on it. Glad to hear it won't just be a heist movie as well.

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I ALSO have an Escalation Tournament this weekend! Any chance either of you are in VA?

I'm excited to start with OL against any other 60pt build, and then finish with Palp/Ol/Vader/Whisper. :getin:

Nah, in the KC area.

OL at 60 points is downright evil and terrifying.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What the gently caress is even the point of those. Buy a Plano

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MeinPanzer posted:

Maybe the U-wing will be a rebel TIE Punisher. Hopefully it's better, though.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I outgrew the biggest Plano I could find. Also I like organization and repetitive tasks I guess.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Maybe the U-wing will be a rebel TIE Punisher. Hopefully it's better, though.

It's literally a rebel U-boat. Predicting generic PS3 with EPT, astro and systems or tech and two torp slots.

No turret though.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Nope, I am in the Chicago suburbs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So I'm playing in a tournament tonight, and I've got two lists I want to bring-

BBB 100 points posted:

Ibtisam (32)
B-Wing (28), Advanced Sensors (3), Wired (1)

Ten Numb (32)
B-Wing (31), Calculation (1)

Keyan Farlander (36)
B-Wing (29), Push the Limit (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), Kyle Katarn (3)

and

XXX 100 points posted:

Wes Janson (32)
X-Wing (29), R5-K6 (2), Veteran Instincts (1), Integrated Astromech (0)

Wedge Antilles (35)
X-Wing (29), R7-T1 (3), Outmaneuver (3), Integrated Astromech (0)

Biggs Darklighter (33)
X-Wing (25), R2-D2 (4), Shield Upgrade (4)

I've played the XXX list before, and done well with it against friends. On the other hand, I really like the idea of pairing Ibtisam with Wired and Ten Numb with Calculation, and want to see if I can do well with them. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm leaning towards taking the BBB list, but in the back of my head I know the XXX list is probably my better option.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

U-Wing looks even more like a hotrod than usual while someone cut an Interceptor in half to get a Striker.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
FWIW, those images are basically mockups. For instance, when referencing the attack on the first Death Star, they show a bunch of Red Sqd T-70's from the concept art. Those TIE Strikers could end up looking totally different.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Dude on the left looks like a fuzzy Sontaran

Played a mission for the first time and had a lot of fun. My buddy was flying the Outrider and I had 75 points of fighters. It was a really good showcase for the expansion's ship and upgrades. Now I'm curious about the Huge Ship missions, have any of you tried them out?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yes they're pretty fun.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I was looking over the missions that come with the Tantive IV the other day. They are progression based, and you upgrade your squad along the way if I remember correctly. Kind of wish some of my Xwing buddies were into scenarios rather than just competitive play.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've played the XXX list before, and done well with it against friends. On the other hand, I really like the idea of pairing Ibtisam with Wired and Ten Numb with Calculation, and want to see if I can do well with them. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm leaning towards taking the BBB list, but in the back of my head I know the XXX list is probably my better option.

If you go with the BBB list, I'd change up Keyan if you can. PtL on Keyan is kind of weird in that you don't need to focus with his pilot ability really, which leaves you with barrel roll and Target Lock. Locking is good, but you're not always gonna want to barrel roll, so you focus.... which is pretty wasted with 1 agility. Kyle doubles down on that by giving another focus you don't really need.

If you stick with PtL, I'd swap Kyle to Jan if you can, so you get that sweet evade token (or someone else can). In addition, Keyan really likes advanced sensors, so he can target lock or barrel roll then take a red move. VI and Stay on Target are also good with Keyan if you do fit the sensors on him. Just a couple thoughts on the list.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The Gate posted:

If you go with the BBB list, I'd change up Keyan if you can. PtL on Keyan is kind of weird in that you don't need to focus with his pilot ability really, which leaves you with barrel roll and Target Lock. Locking is good, but you're not always gonna want to barrel roll, so you focus.... which is pretty wasted with 1 agility. Kyle doubles down on that by giving another focus you don't really need.

If you stick with PtL, I'd swap Kyle to Jan if you can, so you get that sweet evade token (or someone else can). In addition, Keyan really likes advanced sensors, so he can target lock or barrel roll then take a red move. VI and Stay on Target are also good with Keyan if you do fit the sensors on him. Just a couple thoughts on the list.

Thanks! I've been playing with the list a bit, and you definitely make some good points. With that in mind, my list might end up looking something like this:

quote:

Ibtisam (33)
B-Wing (28), Wired (1), B-Wing/E2 (1), Ezra Bridger (3)

Ten Numb (32)
B-Wing (31), Calculation (1)

Keyan Farlander (35)
B-Wing (29), Push the Limit (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), Jan Ors (2)

Granted, the one wrinkle is that I don't actually have Ezra (Yet), but I'm pretty sure I can borrow him if necessary. And if I can't, looks like I'll be running XXX after all :v:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

TIE Striker looks like a prototype Interceptor

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
If a TIE Striker came to XWTMG, what would it's stats be? It obviously can't be the same as an Interceptor or a Fighter, but something either in the middle or its movement dial has to be odd and unique, like its forward 1-3 are white but it's 4-5 are green, and that's it's only way to clear stress.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Ringo Star Get posted:

If a TIE Striker came to XWTMG, what would it's stats be? It obviously can't be the same as an Interceptor or a Fighter, but something either in the middle or its movement dial has to be odd and unique, like its forward 1-3 are white but it's 4-5 are green, and that's it's only way to clear stress.

Less damage than an interceptor can dish, and a bit faster? I mean the Striker is only 300km/h faster than an Interceptor, with less guns, but it does have a hella nice regulator for high speed and atmospheric maneuvers. So yeah, just a fast, more maneuverable, less damage Interceptor

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Maybe stats of a Fighter? Dial of an FO? Boost, no Barrel Roll? Price it low as another swarm option? Hard to imagine what niche it will fill that isn't already occupied by any existing ship and not be a crappier version them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tacopocalypse posted:

Maybe stats of a Fighter? Dial of an FO? Boost, no Barrel Roll? Price it low as another swarm option? Hard to imagine what niche it will fill that isn't already occupied by any existing ship and not be a crappier version them.

This all over. There's very little at that sort of price level that Imps don't already have.

Same issue with the /sf, about the only thing that they can give it that Imps don't have already is the turret slot.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

TLT TIE/sf swarms coming to your neighborhood this winter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Leave it to imps to get TLTs just after they become irrelevant.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

There's no need for it at this juncture. Now, DeathTrooper Pilots may add some abilities that could make it worthwhile, but generally speaking, it would be best left in a ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY box set.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
If Imperials are gonna get a cheaper turret platform than Rebels/Scum, it'd almost certainly have a points restriction on the turret you can equip. Probably via a title or something. Like a not-lovely version of Heavy Scyk.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Devlan Mud posted:

If Imperials are gonna get a cheaper turret platform than Rebels/Scum, it'd almost certainly have a points restriction on the turret you can equip. Probably via a title or something. Like a not-lovely version of Heavy Scyk.

I'm expecting it to be turret slot, but cannot fire out of arc. But with a rear arc in which it can fire.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
My bet's on either a 2 turret primary or auxiliary firing arc and missile slot. No Turret/Cannon. That's it.

Edit: Maybe a co-pilot title/upgrade that allows it to fire once inside firing arc and again outside it. But not both out of primary arc. Like a reverse BTL title.

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 17, 2016

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Devlan Mud posted:

Ion and tractor TIE/sf swarm coming to a

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Ringo Star Get posted:

What's in the middle of two ships with the same stat line besides attack value, when you can't have a 2.5 dice attack? I just can't see there being room for yet another 2 attack TIE Fighter, and the difference between 2 and 3 dice is so huge. Maybe they could find a middle ground with a generic title? Something like, the ship rolls 2 dice natively, but a free or cheap title adds a die with the caveat that you turn all crits to blanks or eyeballs?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Tacopocalypse posted:

My bet's on either a 2 turret primary or auxiliary firing arc and missile slot. No Turret/Cannon. That's it.

Edit: Maybe a co-pilot title/upgrade that allows it to fire once inside firing arc and again outside it. But not both out of primary arc. Like a reverse BTL title.

It should be a rear arc just like the firespray, except there's the problem of the cardboard token for small ships not really having the real estate for it. They'd have to redesign to base for it to be practical. It'd probably just be easier to make a 1-2 point title that allows it to equip any turret 4 points or less.

How many autoblasters could you fit in that way?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do we ever see the TIE/sf shoot forwards? Maybe it will keep traditional cardboard and shoot out the "front" but fly backwards. Problem solved.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Chemmy posted:

Do we ever see the TIE/sf shoot forwards? Maybe it will keep traditional cardboard and shoot out the "front" but fly backwards. Problem solved.

Yeah, they wreck some turrets on the Finalizer. Or whatever it's called.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Couldn't the TIE/sf just be a title that adds a crew slot and maybe a turret?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Couldn't the TIE/sf just be a title that adds a crew slot and maybe a turret?

You're talking about a company that did a whole new sculpt for the TFA falcon where the only noticeable change was the radar dish.

Like gently caress they'll make the TIE/sf a title giving a crew slot when the models are actually different.

• Locked thread