Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Significant progress has been made. My trip through the mushroom caves brought me much phat loot and now I have a merchant! I feel very proud of this accomplishment. I am moving up in the Terraria world.

edit: Question, torches seem a bit wimpy in the light they produce (I mean look at the light in those houses), will I be able to craft torches that give off more light at some point? Or should I do some renovations and just make some background wall windows?

If you're gonna make windows, make them out of glass wall pieces or monsters can spawn inside. You need to renovate anyway: you should really have half a dozen "suitable housing" rooms by now and will need something over 20 eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You can make chandeliers and other sorts of lamps for indoor lighting. Also, you can craft glass from sand in a furnace, and then use this glass to make glass walls that will let the daylight in.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: Question, torches seem a bit wimpy in the light they produce (I mean look at the light in those houses), will I be able to craft torches that give off more light at some point? Or should I do some renovations and just make some background wall windows?

Not really. Just mass produce or buy a bunch of them and start slapping them down everywhere.

Does the mining helmet still shine if its in your cosmetics tab?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Does the mining helmet still shine if its in your cosmetics tab?

No.

But also, if you put the mining helmet on the functional slot and some other headwear on the vanity slot, it will not shine either.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Wow a flurry of activity in this thread, there must be some serious patch news... wait, no it's a bunch of new people starting off :3:

Best tip for newbies: lots and lots of sticky bombs (gel + bomb)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I haven't messed with explosives yet because I'm afraid of blowing myself up, but I've got a pretty big stockpile sitting around so I may as well use them for some mining or something.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
That's why you use sticky bombs or dynamite, no "where it stops nobody knows" involved!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hey so a Nurse moved into my little apartment complex, but on her way there she seems to have decided to take a dip in the nearby pond and got stuck. She's just sitting here throwing arrows (?) at nothing and getting healed for 10 hp every tick so she cannot drown. I can talk to her, but she won't move. What do I... do about this?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 17, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Hey so a Nurse moved into my little apartment complex, but on her way there she seems to have decided to take a dip in the nearby pond and got stuck. She's just sitting here throwing arrows (?) at nothing and getting healed for 10 hp every tick so she cannot drown. I can talk to her, but she won't move. What do I... do about this?

Try digging her a ramp out of the pool, on the side of her house. I don't know if it'll work but it's worth a try. She won't be able to jump up that cliff edge.
It's possible that she's just stuck because she's too busy healing herself, in which case try draining the pond.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

CJacobs posted:

Build a house she can live in, assign it to her, and then move far away off screen at night and she will respawn inside her house.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Check out where her house actually is. After dark, walk away from her. She'll just teleport back to her house.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tenebrais posted:

Try digging her a ramp out of the pool, on the side of her house. I don't know if it'll work but it's worth a try. She won't be able to jump up that cliff edge.
It's possible that she's just stuck because she's too busy healing herself, in which case try draining the pond.

It was the latter, she stood around in the water too long or something and ran out of air, so she started healing herself, but because she was drowning her health was going down as fast as she was healing it. :downs:

flowinprose posted:

Build a house she can live in, assign it to her, and then move far away off screen at night and she will respawn inside her house.

I did this and it worked, thanks. An interesting little quirk, that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I haven't messed with explosives yet because I'm afraid of blowing myself up, but I've got a pretty big stockpile sitting around so I may as well use them for some mining or something.

Grenades don't destroy blocks and, as far as I remember, they're great for combat too so give those a shot. If you happen to gently caress up and throw one, at least you won't have to worry about breaking anything. You might kill yourself but that happens, it's fine.

Oh! What sized world did you make?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
So this May 22nd patch is the one with PC Controller support, right? I really hope that it's well done; I'd love to play this game on my couch.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
I can't imagine playing this game with a controller. I bought the version for iOS and can't control it for crap, uninstalled it because it was just unpleasant trying to play and control it with the virtual controller.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
All these posts convinced me to fire up the game again. I stopped after trying to defeat the Moon Lord a few times. Instead of throwing myself right at him after not playing for most of a year, I decided to take down Duke Fishron.

Turns out he's really easy when you have a UFO Mount and a Phantasm. :science:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Grenades don't destroy blocks and, as far as I remember, they're great for combat too so give those a shot. If you happen to gently caress up and throw one, at least you won't have to worry about breaking anything. You might kill yourself but that happens, it's fine.

Oh! What sized world did you make?

I went with small because I remember it still being pretty big. Having seen it, I'm glad I did because I cannot imagine how big a large-sized one has to be.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

CJacobs posted:

I went with small because I remember it still being pretty big. Having seen it, I'm glad I did because I cannot imagine how big a large-sized one has to be.

This is an ancient image from GameFAQs, but...

Large is almost twice as big as a Small, horizontally and vertically.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
:stonk:

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Wow, I've never seen the dungeon cut that far into the Underworld before. Did they patch that out?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
*double post, edited out*

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Well at least you didn't make the mistake of starting on Expert mode.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Mischalaniouse posted:

Wow, I've never seen the dungeon cut that far into the Underworld before. Did they patch that out?

I assume it's an artifact of worldgen hiccuping for whatever reason.

RareAcumen posted:

Well at least you didn't make the mistake of starting on Expert mode.

That line I put in the OP seems to be paying off! :peanut:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Man, I love these newbie trip reports. Seeing people discovering their way through the game really makes me wish I could play it for the first time again. Ever since release I've played almost every major patch to completion, nibbling on the new content, but it sure would be something to start totally blank and see everything in the game, as it is now, with new eyes. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Man, I love these newbie trip reports. Seeing people discovering their way through the game really makes me wish I could play it for the first time again. Ever since release I've played almost every major patch to completion, nibbling on the new content, but it sure would be something to start totally blank and see everything in the game, as it is now, with new eyes. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm glad you are enjoying my trip reports, I really like this game. Initially I think the reason I didn't stick with it is because the beginning is pretty slow, but once it gets going it doesn't slow back down.

I am making progress on my housing project, a couple new NPCs have moved in. The gunsmith dude appears to be macking on the nurse and I don't know if I approve of this fraternization.

Forums user and good friend of mine Blind Sally showed me his fuckin nuts world and all his sick endgame stuff including a popemobile with lasers that can mine faster than anything I've ever seen, so now I know what I have to look forward to in the future.

Question: Is there a way to make trees grow faster? I don't much care for sitting around waiting for them to grow so I can have more wood to expand my houses.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

Spending 14 hours gathering gold gear for 3 people and then building bridges over every single corruption chasm, because I'm a moron who kept falling into every single chasm.

And then we all died to Skeletron. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Question: Is there a way to make trees grow faster? I don't much care for sitting around waiting for them to grow so I can have more wood to expand my houses.

Create new worlds and go on a mass deforestation campaign. Become Captain Planet's Interdimensional Nightmare.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dis astranagant posted:

Create new worlds and go on a mass deforestation campaign.

That works for me! And that's interesting, I'd never considered the possibility of making new worlds with my same character just for mining more resources. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I feel like I mentioned or asked this before but, is the 3ds version good? I really want it, but if it's poo poo I'll get the android version or something. I want Terraria on the go.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

That works for me! And that's interesting, I'd never considered the possibility of making new worlds with my same character just for mining more resources. I'll have to keep that in mind.

One thing to note is that some worlds have Crimson instead of Corruption, which can make different items, especially once you get to hardmode. One isn't necessarily better than the other and you'll probably want to try out both kinds of equipment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cool, and I assume lead is just the alternate version of iron? This world I made for tree harvesting has lead instead.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Cool, and I assume lead is just the alternate version of iron? This world I made for tree harvesting has lead instead.

Yeah, there's alternate versions of each ore which are just slightly better but are otherwise used the same.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 18, 2016

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

You can also use lead instead of iron and vice versa for every non-cosmetic recipe.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TIL that skeletron despawns if you bounce too high goombaing him with the slime mount and fall off.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CJacobs posted:

I'm glad you are enjoying my trip reports, I really like this game. Initially I think the reason I didn't stick with it is because the beginning is pretty slow, but once it gets going it doesn't slow back down.

I'm definitely enjoying them, keep it up.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

dis astranagant posted:

TIL that skeletron despawns if you bounce too high goombaing him with the slime mount and fall off.

If you can get stuck under a roof while goombaing him, he should stay stuck below your slime mount and so everyone stays stuck in place: you in the roof, the slime mount under your butt, and skeletron inside the slime, until skeletron dies.

I actually killed a dungeon guardian this way and got a summon item for a baby skeletron this way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Now we're cooking! I fought cthulu('s eye) and got phat demonite piles, then went all the way to the left and found a dungeon that appears to be between a fuckmillion and infinity feet deep, and I made some cool Megaman X-looking armor. I also fought a bigass skeleton. Even though I didn't get much for it, defeating cthulu's eye was pretty rewarding because it felt like I really earned it through using all the poo poo I've accumulated so far.

Now I need to decorate the houses of all my new inmates villagers.

edit: Regarding the skeleton, I think I might have fought it early? In front of the dungeon there was an old man and I picked 'curse' which I assumed would be "talk about a curse that exists in this dungeon that you are standing right in front of", but I guess my guy instead cursed him. I'm not sure what I was supposed to do there.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 18, 2016

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Why did I wait so long to get into this game?

I too, just started a couple days ago and I'm having fun figuring things out (reading the wiki).

CJacobs buildings look so much better than mine.

And I keep getting killed by swarms of enemies if I wander off a bit from my spawn point. :mad:
Combat is my only complaint, really so far. It feels so clunky and frustrating, even with the broadsword attack arc. Flaming arrows are pretty sweet though.

edit: my poo poo is ghetto as gently caress compared to CJacobs :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
You'll wanna fight Skeletron eventually, but there's some easier bosses between the Eye and him. Try exploring the Corruption/Crimson and breaking some ominous looking poo poo. You can also try exploring the jungle if you've found it, though that's a little tougher.

Also I swore to myself I would build an elaborate skybase once the last big update was released, and I have been doing so very slowly over the past year or so. Here's one thing i just finished