Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

BillmasterCozb posted:

How the gently caress would they know that? I never alluded to using SAM at all, what the gently caress

What did you post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr Cheeto posted:

What did you post

"OP, donacdum"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Orv posted:

So I'm really enjoying this, but being Bad˜ at FPS games, I just kind of want to stomp around with a shotgun and do objectives, so I need some survivability. Recommendations? I'm not necessarily opposed to having to get a perk deck or something if there's a completely set and forget stupid build.

http://payday.drakendomain.net/?18=...&84=b&88=a&90=b

You have 1 point (basic nine lives in relentless) which is free to be moved around to whereever. You also want the muscle deck. Weapons are probably AA-12 and an HE judge/loco. Bring the muscle perk deck.

You're not going to be hitting snipers, be careful. Everything else will melt in front of you.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Looks like exactly what I want, thanks.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Orv posted:

So I'm really enjoying this, but being Bad˜ at FPS games, I just kind of want to stomp around with a shotgun and do objectives, so I need some survivability. Recommendations? I'm not necessarily opposed to having to get a perk deck or something if there's a completely set and forget stupid build.

Drew's build works, but if/when you unlock other perk decks (namely Crook, Rogue, Grinder, Ex-Presidents, and Anarchist), you can try them to see if they work better for you. Depends on playstyle, really. Having the heaviest armor doesn't necessarily make you the most survivable, even if that seems counter-intuitive.

BillmasterCozb posted:

How the gently caress would they know that? I never alluded to using SAM at all, what the gently caress

You made someone mad, so they clicked on your profile and saw that the vast majority of your achievements were unlocked on December 8, 2015.

Orv
May 4, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Drew's build works, but if/when you unlock other perk decks (namely Crook, Rogue, Grinder, Ex-Presidents, and Anarchist), you can try them to see if they work better for you. Depends on playstyle, really. Having the heaviest armor doesn't necessarily make you the most survivable, even if that seems counter-intuitive.

:frogon:

I have vague knowledge of dodge builds being a thing, but I'm not sure how they come into play, or anything else really. I'm still learning basic shootmans and missions.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

You made someone mad, so they clicked on your profile and saw that the vast majority of your achievements were unlocked on December 8, 2015.

Totally agree! But is my build (fatsuit, Regen health, straight damage and drill skills) the most straightforward survivability build?

Dodge is very survivable, but requires a little more daring. Lumbering around from cover to cover and shotgunning dudes as they approach seems the most straightforward.

Is crook really that good? What planet am I on now?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I do prefer to be sort of gleefully lazy in my coop murder for games like Payday and its cousins, so yours probably works best but I'm always interested in at least trying other things so I wouldn't mind hearing other ideas.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Crook is pretty good, yeah. It also helps that there a bunch of skills that directly buff vests but nothing for the suit. You get a decent amount of dodge now with a good amount of armor, and less of a concealment penalty at least in the beta. Like Rogue though, you're hosed if you get a bad luck roll.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

not even the first goon where this exact chain of events has happened, either :rip:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Orv posted:

:frogon:

I have vague knowledge of dodge builds being a thing, but I'm not sure how they come into play, or anything else really. I'm still learning basic shootmans and missions.

The easiest thing to do is to probably play with knowledgeable goons so that they can sperg at you over voice comms. In lieu of that, though:

Not everything I'm talking about is a dodge build, but we can talk about those first. As you'd expect, the goal is to get your dodge stat as high as possible. Practically speaking, this means giving up armor, since heavier armors have hefty dodge penalties. You're basically stuck with either a Suit or an LBV; dodge stat is highest in a Suit. You then invest in aced Duck and Cover, basic Evasion, basic Thick Skin, and basic Sneaky Bastard (in the Commando tree). You can ace Thick Skin and/or Sneaky Bastard if you want more room to maneuver with regard to concealment. You could ignore concealment, but then you lose the dodge bonuses from Sneaky Bastard. Generally inadvisable.

You also need to invest in one of the dodge perk decks. This generally means Rogue/Grinder for suit users or Crook/Ex-Presidents for LBV users. The latter deck in each grouping has lower dodge, but powerful means of regenerating health, so it's just another kind of trade-off.

The real value with dodge is that you can totally ignore damage from shots that "hit you" when you dodge successfully. Armor users take damage from every accurate shot fired their way. People who are better at math than I am claim that dodge builds are actually more durable than armor builds, but this assumes that you're playing the build right. That means crouching/sprinting a lot, since that's how you maximize your dodge stat, and some people really don't like doing that.

Maybe I'll say more words later. It's easiest to just answer questions, though.

Drewjitsu posted:

Totally agree! But is my build (fatsuit, Regen health, straight damage and drill skills) the most straightforward survivability build?

Dodge is very survivable, but requires a little more daring. Lumbering around from cover to cover and shotgunning dudes as they approach seems the most straightforward.

Is crook really that good? What planet am I on now?

Most straightforward, yeah. But you know me, always pushing for as many approaches as possible.

But yeah, Crook is decidedly not bad now:

Ahahahaha: 143.5 armor, 15 dodge standing still. So as much as 40 dodge when sprinting? 50 with SB. CROOK RIDES AGAIN!

No health regen, but I figure that's probably better than Rogue in a Suit. You could even fix the health regen issue with Hostage Taker if you were really serious about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I guess the most prevalent question would hang on how I end up liking to play, but right now I'm leaning towards stand near an objective and LMB with a shotgun when enough pre-corpses pile up. So I'd assume a tanky armor build would be best for that, ducking behind cover to regen and such, but I'll definitely give something more mobile a try at some point.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 18, 2016

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So do I post here to be added to the steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197981864292

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

At least those fuckers only got me banned from the forum and not the community.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
You want some space guns? Because we got some several million dollar 1911s made out of space rocks.

Also I think I sent you and invite David.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 18, 2016

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

Geight posted:

I was reading this article about games that had their steam review score change dramatically after release, and I thought for sure Payday 2 would be on their with all the sound and fury kicked up by the steam forums and reddit during the black market update. It wasn't even mentioned in passing though, which I found surprising. I checked the reviews on the store page and got to see first hand the power of reddit's review bombs:

Overall: 75% of the 205,337 user reviews for this game are positive
Recent: 81% of the 5,255 user reviews in the last 30 days are positive

:v: They sure did have a lasting impact.

To be fair, before the thundering herd of neckbeards hit it, it was above 90%. So they had an impact, just not nearly the one they wanted (to sink it to Negative/Mostly Negative)

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Yup thanks.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

hey INH go pitch your Gensec on Overkill mod to ... uh, Overkill. Basically that fits right between Ovk and DW and is probably exactly what they're looking for, inasmuch as it requires almost no new assets on their part! :v:

but also it's a good mod and anyone interested in stepping up to DW should try it if they are unwilling to have a trial by deathwish fire known as "wait, it spawns how many saiga dozers at once?"
Well feel free to pitch it for me cause I'm very lazy about things! :v:

Anyway I'm glad they are looking into a difficulty between OVK and DW because regardless of your thoughts on the difficulty of DW the gap between the two difficulties has always been pretty drastic when compared to how the lower difficulties ramp up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Windmill Update

Man, working on anything other than the GL40 is going like greased lightning. Progress:

Primaries:
Brenner 21 - done.
AMCAR-4 - done.
Reinbeck 88 - done.
AK - 1400 1250 kills remaining.
M308 - 500 kills remaining. Trivial.

Secondaries:
Locomotive 12 - done.
GL40 - done.
Compact-5 - 2100 1800 kills remaining. Much faster than I thought.
Mark 11 - 1300 kills remaining.

GarbagePistols:
B9-S - done.
STRYK - 900 750 kills remaining, plus a shields challenge that will likely just happen in the process.
Bronco - 1700 kills remaining. This is my current focus. I'm not looking forward to the mastery challenge, which requires dozer kills.
Crosskill .45 - 500 kills remaining. This one's surprisingly inaccurate for a starter pistol.

I've gone from 8451 to 7800 kills remaining in two days. This is all so much faster than I had dared to hope. At this rate I'm going to be done with the windmill before we get a new content update!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm surprised you didn't get the Bronco one done naturally while leveling up; the Bronco owns.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Caught Chains getting his rear end kicked by Black Widow in the new Captain America film. It's good to see Damion Poitier getting work.

Dude, Damion Poitier got a SPEAKING ROLE in a MARVEL movie! I really hope this helps his career.

But he will always be Chains to me.:swoon:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm surprised you didn't get the Bronco one done naturally while leveling up; the Bronco owns.

I just never used pistols- they're all pretty lousy compared with primaries, and the Bronco's sights/ angle seems messed up.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Dude, Damion Poitier got a SPEAKING ROLE in a MARVEL movie! I really hope this helps his career.

He was thanatos, before they recast the role.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

IndianaZoidberg posted:

He is also the only goon in the movie that gets one up on black widow. She needed a surprise attack from falcon to bail her out.

Shine on, Chains. Shine on.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I would watch Avengers vs The Payday Gang. I mean, the gang already takes out a shield-wielding captain on a regular basis, and I want to see Black Widow get Shockproof Ace'd.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It would be fitting if they just made Black Widow the Super Cloaker and I guess Falcon the Super Taser? Flying Tazers, my god.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Ant man is the cloaker cause he just comes out of fuckin nowhere

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, Black Widow is the loving Taser. She tasered the poo poo out of Black Panther.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

hup posted:

Ant man is the cloaker cause he just comes out of fuckin nowhere

Yeah, this is the better choice.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Ok, I just discovered how satisfying the AK762 in semi-auto mode is. What's the best build/weapon setup for that?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm personally hopping that the remade no mercy sudden and unexpectedly shifts from payday to a l4d match.

Except the whole loadouts, skills and melee system, well I guess it wouldn't be anything like l4d after all. :geno:

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Discendo Vox posted:

Windmill Update

Did they accidentally add an extra digit to every kill goal in that game? This is absurd.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Concordat posted:

Did they accidentally add an extra digit to every kill goal in that game? This is absurd.

Vox's mini-effortpost on bad design in Payday 1

Payday 1 challenge and stat balancing really wasn't well thought out.

Weapons
The game's weapons are hilariously lopsided- my "favorite" example of this is that the Locomotive shotgun, a weapon that takes two headshots to kill a heavy SWAT(pretty much the default enemy on the higher difficulties) has an average pickup rate of about .25. You have to kill 4 people per shot on average to stay ammo neutral with it. It has a max capacity of 35 rounds. It also doesn't have sights and the spray it shows on screen doesn't match its ammo hitbox.

Missable Achievements
Another great example are the levelling achievements. Payday 1 has 3 (later 4 with DLC) skill paths that you go up by earning cash ingame- stealing it or completing objectives. Each path is linear path, and you can pick which one you want to earn next at any time. As you progress up different paths, you unlock and improve the stats of skills and weapons you can equip between heists. You have enough levels to max out all paths, letting you unlock everything. So far so good. But there are achievements tied to levelling up the different paths. Not for levelling up, excuse me- for what you're doing when you level up.

There's an achievement for gaining a level in assault during an assault wave. OK, that happens naturally. There's an achievement for gaining a level in Sharpshooter with your last kill being a sniper. Doable, but very hard to predict-you have to game it. There's an achievement for gaining a level in Support while you pick someone up- while the ~4 second progress bar to pick them up is filling. If you hit the level cap for that skill path without lucking into it? Guess you need to reset your progress if you want that achievement!

Crew Bonuses and Skills
At the end of each skill path you get a crew bonus- a sort of perk deck thing where everyone else on the team gets the bonus you select, but you do not. It's a sort of altruism thing that's a really cool idea in principle. In practice, several of the bonuses are meaningless. One gives bonus armor, but so little bonus armor that there is literally no effect on any facet of gameplay on any difficulty above normal (the description also says it gives bonus health. Others give a minuscule 15% speed increase to reloads, or a hard-to-notice 0% reduction in weapon spread, or a 10% damage increase (also meaningless above hard difficulty). Or, here's a crazy thought- you could increase the total ammo and ammo efficiency of all weapons by 15%, an effect that stacks multiplicatively with the "extra ammo" skill you can equip to make all guns have 57% more total ammo and get 57% more ammo from every pickup and ammo bag at no cost. (Or you could get 4 more cable ties-most of the other skills are similarly worthless).

Other Achievement fun
Here are a couple more payday 1 achievements/challenges, the next time you think guessing game is bad:

Dodge this! – Beat a heist on Normal difficulty or above, having killed a Bulldozer without taking damage from any Bulldozer.
Federal crime – Defeat 25 FBI agents in a row.
One shot, one kill - repeat – Get 30 kills using 30 shots, using only the M308 rifle. [this effectively requires all headshots]
Easy Street – Beat Heat Street on Overkill difficulty with your group accuracy being at 60% or higher.
Legendary last stand – Defeat 10 law enforcers during a single bleedout.
Pacifist – Beat Counterfeit on Hard difficulty or above without killing any law enforcers or civilians. [this applies to the whole team]

edit: mini-update - I now have 7000 kills left. I'm still shocked by how fast it's going now. The weapons are so uneven...now that I've done the bad ones...it's actually...fun...?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 19, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Double saws DW-viable :smugteddie:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Zoidberg has joined Shooting Blanks on the list of merry fools that will help me get noob herder. That means I just need one more volunteer.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Discendo Vox posted:

Zoidberg has joined Shooting Blanks on the list of merry fools that will help me get noob herder. That means I just need one more volunteer.

I could give it a try. I'm not the best at Payday the first though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

watho posted:

I could give it a try. I'm not the best at Payday the first though.

I love you.

After 5 years of trying I get a group that's willing to try for this in less than a week.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
http://www.overkillsoftware.com/games/sydneypack/ Time for the "people that stopped playing this game" to start bitching!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Turqoise and pink looks great on guns!

Hmm, I'm sitting on a pile of gage coins, is there's a turqoise and pink mask colour? Going to go wild with that if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I want all those skins. :swoon: