Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renaissance Robot posted:

I was going to say "what's gay about Poppy" before I remembered the answer is "at least one B-list and maybe one C-list character".

As of today's Poppy, I wish to formally retract this opinion and adopt Morbi's instead, ie that this comic is super gay.

I mean, the last panel might actually be even gayer than the chapter cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tollymain posted:

i've tried to come up with a way to describe it and all i can think of is "dr seuss but with grotesquerie instead of whimsy and also the artist is a furry probably?"

I'd say it's like a combination of Jack and Goblins, only in a good way. I sort of like grotesque, exaggerated art and I think it deserves a fair shake.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I tried it and it's oscillating between verbose and pedantic.

A successful pastiche.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

I tried it and it's loving awesome with a fantastic mix of dry wit and low comedy.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

It's going for a Jack Vancian flavor. I think it works.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Actually reading it, yes, it is a good Fafhrd and Gray Mouser pastiche. The dialogue and pacing feel right out of the stories, just with swears. And penises.

e: And that was all :geno: Again, there should be against linking interesting comics still in their infancy.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 17, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Actually reading it, yes, it is a good Fafhrd and Gray Mouser pastiche. The dialogue and pacing feel right out of the stories, just with swears. And penises.

e: And that was all :geno: Again, there should be against linking interesting comics still in their infancy.

Hey, the more eyeballs the sooner the artist will probably set up a Patreon and maybe do more pages a week.

vvv Nah, he's still doing it. He posted it on /r/fantasy earlier today, that's how I found it.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 17, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of neat comics end about 30 pages in, that doesn't mean those 30 pages aren't worthwhile or enjoyable.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah says it updates Sundays. So, agonizingly slowly, I'll have forgotten it exists in two weeks, but still updating

Pick posted:

I'd say it's like a combination of Jack and Goblins, only in a good way.

I'm going to start describing every comic like this

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

One of the Fafhrd & Gray Mouser stories involve stealing a treasure from a house that is made of a central tower with two small dome-shaped wings.

The author had a foreword where he basically said "I somehow didn't realize just how phallic that was when I wrote it."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pick posted:

Having read and in a very tortured way enjoyed both of those comics in my youth, I'm not sure that's possible. I can't even begin to imagine what you mean.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pick posted:

wat

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Well I guess it's too high-level for me.

I'm already barely coping with Achewwod.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Having read and in a very tortured way enjoyed both of those comics in my youth, I'm not sure that's possible. I can't even begin to imagine what you mean.

Specifically the art style. A lot of highly-emotive monstrous beings with a 90s western-animation feel, combined with high-detail backgrounds with heavy linework (and intensity of linework fairly consistent from the background to the foreground). I don't think there's enough plot yet to characterize any aspect of it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kramjacks posted:

These creatures seem to cry a lot.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah says it updates Sundays. So, agonizingly slowly, I'll have forgotten it exists in two weeks, but still updating

Does the comic have an RSS feed? I don't use them, because I am a loving luddite, but that would remind you each time it updates right?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Not lumpy enough, a shameful parody 3/10

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, but like, I like emotive work? I'd much rather read melodrama with a lot of crying and at least attempts at deep feeling--love, distress, etc--than something detached.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pick posted:

Yeah, but like, I like emotive work? I'd much rather read melodrama with a lot of crying and at least attempts at deep feeling--love, distress, etc--than something detached.

Agreedo. People are too shy about sentimentality sometimes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

As of today's Poppy, I wish to formally retract this opinion and adopt Morbi's instead, ie that this comic is super gay.

I mean, the last panel might actually be even gayer than the chapter cover

Is about the best summary I can give of Poppy's monday update. Also for added humor, I was referring back to the harlequin romance novel chapter cover. I hadn't noticed previously the Quibble & Moonshine author logo. It really takes the whole thing to a new level of "aside from the animal people I can totally picture this in a Walmart".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is about the best summary I can give of Poppy's monday update. Also for added humor, I was referring back to the harlequin romance novel chapter cover. I hadn't noticed previously the Quibble & Moonshine author logo. It really takes the whole thing to a new level of "aside from the animal people I can totally picture this in a Walmart".

Give it like five years and this would totally fit right in at Wal-Mart.

It deserves to be

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Captain Oblivious posted:

I spent like an entire week just googling trashy vintage romance novels to get the exact look I wanted for that cover.
It was the best.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Agreedo. People are too shy about sentimentality sometimes.

It feels weird to read comics where the characters are more blase about their own situations than I am as the observer. Hell, I've had to cut a lot of my dispassionate friends out of my life in the last few years because being around their apathy is so contagiously dispiriting. If that leaves me constantly refreshing Cucumber Quest and Bittersweet Candy Bowl then so be it :shrug:.

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 18, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

So beautiful.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Morbi posted:

I spent like an entire week just googling trashy vintage romance novels to get the exact look I wanted for that cover.
It was the best.

The Walmart near me literally has a full section with a bigass HARLEQUIN sign above it containing exactly these kinds of books and I can tell you that your research was not in vain :911:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

In light of recent Rat Queen events, Spike Trotman sent out a call for webcomics with tough ladies and got a lot of suggestions: https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/732458382746091520 some of which are "eh" but there's a lot of winners in there.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

In light of recent Rat Queen events, Spike Trotman sent out a call for webcomics with tough ladies and got a lot of suggestions: https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/732458382746091520 some of which are "eh" but there's a lot of winners in there.

wait what happened with rat queens?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wifebeater's back on board

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SynthOrange posted:

Wifebeater's back on board

Possibly was never truly off, in fact. Author kept supporting him and one of the new artists wants nothing to do with the series, to the point that she's selling off the old artwork to not have it around anymore.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

It feels weird to read comics where the characters are more blase about their own situations than I am as the observer. Hell, I've had to cut a lot of my dispassionate friends out of my life in the last few years because being around their apathy is so contagiously dispiriting. If that leaves me constantly refreshing Cucumber Quest and Bittersweet Candy Bowl then so be it :shrug:.

having some demonstrative characters who clearly give a poo poo about what's going on is p key to making a story great, but some kid's epic fantasy comic is almost certainly not a great work capable of selling any of that, and a lotta comics out there go with the drama equivalent of the slasher movie bimbo who can't go three steps without tripping over something. there's not really a good way to fail at writing sympathetic characters but there's at least one profoundly obnoxious way.

also if you're loving with like Vattu here in favor of... that thing I will fight you

also also that's a real good list and I've never heard of any of those

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 18, 2016

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
huh

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hey that reminds me, is Thunt still dead? I remember that being a running gag back when the bad thread was remotely readable

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

Hey that reminds me, is Thunt still dead? I remember that being a running gag back when the bad thread was remotely readable

Vaguely related, what was that one weird but kind of endearing fantasy webcomic that was gone over in the Bad Webcomic Thread, about...Okay I know how generic this is going to sound, but it was about a bunch of animal people and it had like, color pencil style colors.

The main character was this really hosed up looking Cat Knight with a messed up ear and eye who was half senile and also the best character.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Burkion posted:

Vaguely related, what was that one weird but kind of endearing fantasy webcomic that was gone over in the Bad Webcomic Thread, about...Okay I know how generic this is going to sound, but it was about a bunch of animal people and it had like, color pencil style colors.

The main character was this really hosed up looking Cat Knight with a messed up ear and eye who was half senile and also the best character.

Harkovast

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I legitimately and truly like Harkovast.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tollymain posted:

i've tried to come up with a way to describe it and all i can think of is "dr seuss but with grotesquerie instead of whimsy and also the artist is a furry probably?"

This is the vibe I'm getting. It's unsettling to look at.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

I legitimately and truly like Harkovast.

So do I.

It's not even a guilty pleasure it's just a nice thing to read. It feels super sincere.

Thanks Fortis!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

is harkovast done by the same person as the 'the eye! the mouth! the eye!' comic or just someone who draws very similarly

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
harkovast is delightful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Burkion posted:

So do I.

It's not even a guilty pleasure it's just a nice thing to read. It feels super sincere.

It's one of the few comics that has made me laugh out loud, and that's when Sir Muir was fighting the lizard guy who is all up for some ~revengeance~, but neither recognizes the lizard guy nor in fact even really knows where he is :downs:.

• Locked thread