Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

quote:

"Around 70 per cent of customers are not reaching the reward, meaning a majority of customers aren't receiving any benefit," he said.

:psyduck:

But if you want more people reaching the reward, then reduce the number of trips it takes to reach it? How would changing it to 50% off rather than free increase the amount of people taking advantage of it?

Or advertise it more, to encourage a switch over to public transport?

e:And you can loving bet that if the majority were receiving a benefit from it, they'd be crying and saying it's unsustainable to have so many people taking advantage of free trips. How are they this blatant in their bullshit. :psyboom:

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

reminder that they're taking away free trips because people found loopholes after they built the system such that it would have loopholes and encouraged people to find them

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Laserface posted:

The ANZAC bit definitely felt out of place but it is an interesting point to consider how glorified the ANZAC spirit is in our culture and how people are continually OK with politicians stripping away more freedoms than the Turks or the Germans ever would have.
Apparently the building now considered most iconic (in Australia) is no longer the opera house but the War Memorial. :psyduck:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...sor-awards.html

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
At least its pretty unlikely to actually go through since Shortens gonna wiiiiiin.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

The Sydney Morning Herald columnist Paul Sheehan has been given a redundancy package two months after he was suspended indefinitely over his false story of a woman, “Louise”, who claimed she had been raped and beaten by Arabic-speaking men.

Sheehan told Guardian Australia he was made redundant from the Fairfax newspaper he first worked for 30 years ago but he declined to clarify whether the arrangement was voluntary or forced.

Good.

Also RIP ABC Fact Check

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Shorten's running for state government now?

If they wanted to fix the loopholes they could have made it take the two most expensive trips per day you pay for, 2 journeys at most accumulated per day. Free travel after 8 Journeys. Then it will work as intended for regular use regardless of people front loading cheap journeys.
The $2 dollar rebate makes getting mixed transport better, but only if it's a short bus trip.

For me, I guess I might not bother getting public transport on weekends for trips I can walk instead.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Apparently the building now considered most iconic (in Australia) is no longer the opera house but the War Memorial. :psyduck:

What does it even look like?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Cartoon posted:

That's pretty depressing :( Although the picture makes it look quite pretty as far as war memorials go

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
most 'must-see' does not equate to most iconic

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

When someone travels to Australia, I always suggest going to Canberhahaha yeah right.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Isn't Canberra just the Truman show?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

We're getting international flights this year so people will finally be able to fly directly to the place they want to visit instead of wasting their time transferring through some other shithole.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

open24hours posted:

We're getting international flights this year so people will finally be able to fly directly to the place they want to visit instead of wasting their time transferring through some other shithole.

Yeah but no one wants to visit Canberra, they just have to go there for a specific reason.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cartoon posted:

I've literally never even seen a picture of that building before in my life

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Rapner posted:

Yeah but no one wants to visit Canberra, they just have to go there for a specific reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe5xuWmtlVA

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Got a letter in the mail intended to be official looking and look like its from the AEC, when it's from the ALP.

Probs just gonna write "get hosed you child torturing monsters" and then drawing a bunch of dicks on it before sending it back in its reply paid envelope.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Dude McAwesome posted:

Got a letter in the mail intended to be official looking and look like its from the AEC, when it's from the ALP.

Probs just gonna write "get hosed you child torturing monsters" and then drawing a bunch of dicks on it before sending it back in its reply paid envelope.

A good idea.

Looking at Facebook and the like knowledge of these info-harvesting letters are spreading, so hopefully we see an end to them in future.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Dude McAwesome posted:

Don't forget to include some glitter, they love that.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
The Opera house has always been a little disappointing up close, I don't think there's much to actually do there unless you go see an opera

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Goffer posted:

The Opera house has always been a little disappointing up close, I don't think there's much to actually do there unless you go see an opera

Get a drink at the Opera Bar and take photos of the bridge? Always where I take visiting relatives/friends, it's the lowest effort/best reward thing to do in Sydney for people from out of town/country.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cartoon posted:

oh man I love the taj mahal

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

iajanus posted:

Don't forget to include some glitter, they love that.

gently caress yes :)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It may pay to be a little bit more specific about what 'child torture' means in the context. Just adding '~refugee~ child torture' makes the meaning plainer.

This sort of poo poo is because the members get a postage allowance that means they can spam you with mail till every tree in Asia has been pulped and we the taxpayer get to pick up the tab.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

Shorten's running for state government now?

If they wanted to fix the loopholes they could have made it take the two most expensive trips per day you pay for, 2 journeys at most accumulated per day. Free travel after 8 Journeys. Then it will work as intended for regular use regardless of people front loading cheap journeys.
The $2 dollar rebate makes getting mixed transport better, but only if it's a short bus trip.

For me, I guess I might not bother getting public transport on weekends for trips I can walk instead.

It's not actually about loopholes. Nobody is actually worried about some OzBargain browsing jerkoffs hopping on extra busses because their time is worthless. "70% don't get the benefit" just translates to "we are seeking revenue from 30% of people because we can".

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Kitten woe:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Did anyone happen to catch all the debate between Greg Hunt & Mark Butler on National Press Club? I saw Mark's opening before getting called into a medical. WHat was the run down? I wanted to see Greg Hunt hang himself on TV

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

Did anyone happen to catch all the debate between Greg Hunt & Mark Butler on National Press Club? I saw Mark's opening before getting called into a medical. WHat was the run down? I wanted to see Greg Hunt hang himself on TV

it on iview

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The organization that Turnball has been standing in front off for the last 2 days has just been revealed to be corrupt and a damming indictment of the need for a federal ICAC.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Rapner posted:

Yeah but no one wants to visit CanberraBrisbane, they just have to go there for a specific reason.
FTFY

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Pickled Tink posted:

First Dog:

Kitten woe:

Holy poo poo is that a thing? I want that to be a thing so goddamn bad!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Wouldn't you be charged as a people smuggler?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
lmao

quote:

A network of Australian border security officials is allegedly working for organised criminals, including drug and tobacco smugglers, in the most serious corruption scandal to ever hit the nation's border agencies.

A Fairfax Media investigation has uncovered multiple cases of alleged corruption involving staff from the Australian Border Force and the Department of Agriculture, along with maritime industry employees with government clearances.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Not surprised at all, there's corruption at every facet of life. The extent of it will be the only interesting part.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is that all there is to the story?

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2016/election-2016-david-feeneys-tenants-turn-on-him-and-urge-vote-green-20160518-goyf14.html posted:

Labor MP David Feeney's own tenants have turned on him and urged locals in the Melbourne seat of Batman to vote for Greens candidate Alex Bhathal.

In another blow to the Labor frontbencher, who is locked in a bitter struggle to hang on to his seat, a Greens placard has been posted in the front yard of his $2.3 million Northcote investment property - which Fairfax Media revealed on Tuesday was undeclared on the Register of Members Interests.

The Greens placard outside the house owned by Labor powerbroker David Feeney.

The billboard promoting Ms Bhathal was erected on Wednesday after The Age newspaper splashed the story on its front page on Wednesday.

Cam Spurr, one of the four tenants living in the property, said a friend had put him in touch with Ms Bhathal's campaign team after The Age revealed Mr Feeney had failed to declare the property.

"One of Alex Bhathal's people asked us if we could put the sign up," he said
David Feeney did not declare his $2.3 million Northcote investment property.

David Feeney did not declare his $2.3 million Northcote investment property. Photo: Penny Stephens

"I was on the fence about it but another housemate, Catrina, said 'let's do it' ... so I said 'sure' and when we got home it was there."

He said the sign, about two metres' tall, was larger than he was expecting.

"I didn't know it was going to be that big ... there have been lots of people walking past, putting photos on Twitter," he said.
Mr Feeney claimed a "maelstrom of events" was responsible for him forgetting to declare for nearly three years his ...

Mr Feeney claimed a "maelstrom of events" was responsible for him forgetting to declare for nearly three years his ownership of the property. Photo: Phil Hearne

"Hopefully [Mr Feeney] doesn't mind too much."

The 25-year-old environmental consultant said he was a Green voter, "but not politically active".

"Having this sign up is probably the most politically active I've ever been," he said.Mr Spurr's three other housemates, all in their late 20s, are also professionals, working in publishing, science and dentistry.

Their landlord received a stern dressing-down from Labor leader Bill Shorten on Wednesday over his failure to declare the property.

The shadow minister lives in a $2.8 million property in the neighbouring seat of Melbourne, which is held by the Greens MP Adam Bandt, and has not commenced renovations on the property, despite claiming the renovations had prevented him from moving in to the house, and his seat.

He also owns another negatively geared investment property, in the Melbourne suburb of Seddon, which he purchased from disgraced former Health Services Union official Kathy Jackson and her now ex-husband Jeff back in 2004.

Following Fairfax Media's revelations on Tuesday, Mr Feeney claimed the "maelstrom of events" after the 2013 election was responsible for him forgetting to declare for nearly three years his ownership of the property.

He also confirmed the property was negatively geared - after initially claiming he "didn't know" if it was - despite Labor promising to end the practice of offsetting rental losses against income for investors unless they were purchasing a new property.

That change, if implemented, would not hit Mr Feeney.

The four-bedroom Northcote home is described as having "spectacular city views" and an "abundance of period charm" on a "colossal" 900-square-metre block of land, and is in Mr Feeney's inner-city electorate of Batman.

Senior party figures in Victorian Labor are furious with the Batman MP, suggesting he has "neglected" the seat since he won it in 2013 and admitting he faces a fierce fight to hang on to it in what shapes as a tight contest with Ms Bhathal.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

tithin posted:

Is that all there is to the story?

Here's the links
http://www.theage.com.au/national/customs-officials-involved-in-drug-and-tobacco-smuggling-20160518-goy672.html
http://www.theage.com.au/national/the-mouse-versus-the-dragon-law-enforcement-struggles-against-customs-drug-network-20160518-goxrwk.html

Even if the crime isn't widespread, it's pretty funny that after all the love and attention the LNP have been lavishing on Border Farce it turns out to be corrupt.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bludgertrack pretty much has ALP ahead but a Coalition majority hanging on due to no losses in Queensland.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So what happens if the Coalition gets a reduced majority in the reps but ends up with a hostile senate? Turnbull wouldn't last long surely.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Just go for another DD and keep trying

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Senor Tron posted:

So what happens if the Coalition gets a reduced majority in the reps but ends up with a hostile senate? Turnbull wouldn't last long surely.

I think Turnbull's goose is cooked if that is the situation, as the DD would've backfired then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh great, then it will be Scott Morrison's Reign of Terror.

• Locked thread