Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's not technically a one-off, but Dirty Pair Project Eden is a really fun stand-alone flick with a great '80s soundtrack.

I know very little about Dirty Pair, but I'll check it out!

Davincie posted:

giovanni's island (this one also works for Violet_Sky!!!), the masaaki yuasa films, nasu: summer in andalusia, memories, every satoshi kon film, a letter to momo, saint young men

Thanks, I've seen some of Masaaki Yuasa's films, but had forgotten.

Thanks for the recommendations, probably gonna watch A Letter To Momo tonight

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Patema Inverted.

Or this!

JD fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Check out Metropolis, also Memories and Neo-Tokyo if you count anthology style films as standalone.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Recommend me some feels anime. I want to cry like a little girl

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Kyousougiga

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

littleorv posted:

Before Namtab gets in here: K-ON

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

littleorv posted:

Mushishi

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

littleorv posted:

fluffy, sometimes melancholy feels: Natsume Yuujinchou

soul-crushing feels: Now and Then, Here and There

also soul-crushing feels: Clannad After Story (you pretty much have to watch Clannad to appreciate it, though. It's a good harem/romcom with light to medium-weight feels, but AS gives the heavy)

dino feels: You Are Umasou (if you missed the simul)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

littleorv posted:

Hotarubi no Mori e
kaiji
giovanni's island
usagi drop
shinsekai yori

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Just keep watching AnoHana.

Then Honey and Clover.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

thank you, thank you

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

If I cry, will post in thread

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

littleorv posted:

Clannad

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Should have said I have seen Clannad already

Also:

littleorv posted:

Clannad After Story made me cry like a little girl

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you want feels anime and you haven't watched all of yuasa's stuff yet, kaiba

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

littleorv posted:

The Wind Rises

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

giovanni's island (this one also works for Violet_Sky!!!), the masaaki yuasa films, nasu: summer in andalusia, memories, every satoshi kon film, a letter to momo, saint young men

By the way, if anyone happens to be interested, Paramount have recently uploaded Millennium Actress to their youtube channel for free. Appears to be blocked for viewers outside the US (or at least it's not working for me in the UK), but there it is nonetheless. I've heard nothing but good things about the film, though I haven't seen it myself, so it's likely well worth a watch if you're interested and able to view it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Millennium Actress is my favorite anime movie and my favorite animated film and one of my favorite films just in general.

Do watch it if you've got the time.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Hi I'm looking for a type of anime that does creative/weird things with the medium. Things like Ping Pong, Nichijou, anything by Satoshi Kon (Paprika). That's pretty much all I have as an example though. When I say creative I mean like interesting camera shots, or playing with different mediums (charcoal, watercolor), or weird cuts between scenes. stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6iOVhw6mQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0v-NuudQw

I hope that gives you some idea of what I'm looking for oh and I know about Studio Ghibli of course. I basically want watch really weird tripy films.

Nude fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 18, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nude posted:

Hi I'm looking for a type of anime that does creative/weird things with the medium. Things like Ping Pong, Nichijou, anything by Satoshi Kon (Paprika). That's pretty much all I have as an example though. When I say creative I mean like interesting camera shots, or playing with different mediums (charcoal, watercolor), or weird cuts between scenes. stuff like this:

I hope that gives you some idea of what I'm looking for oh and I know about Studio Ghibli of course. I basically want watch really weird tripy films.

Masaaki Yuasa is the director of Ping Pong and all of his stuff is like that so that sounds like a safe choice to start off with. Mind Game's an amazing choice and is still on Netflix. It's a good showcase of what he can accomplish with a movie budget, the style frequently changes and it has one of my favorite depictions of God in a visual medium; the protagonist can't possibly comprehend what God would actually look like so what he sees is something that changes its appearance at an incredibly rapid rate.

Past that, Tatami Galaxy is phenomenal (and it's on Hulu) and the rest of his shows are worth checking out but you'll have to resort to fansubs for those.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Srice posted:

Masaaki Yuasa is the director of Ping Pong and all of his stuff is like that so that sounds like a safe choice to start off with. Mind Game's an amazing choice and is still on Netflix. It's a good showcase of what he can accomplish with a movie budget, the style frequently changes and it has one of my favorite depictions of God in a visual medium; the protagonist can't possibly comprehend what God would actually look like so what he sees is something that changes its appearance at an incredibly rapid rate.

Past that, Tatami Galaxy is phenomenal (and it's on Hulu) and the rest of his shows are worth checking out but you'll have to resort to fansubs for those.

This + watch the madoka movies.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nude posted:

The -monogatari series sounds up your alley, if you can get past its rather extensive share of skeevy scenes.

Even more gifs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3768480&perpage=40&pagenumber=2046#post460012135

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 18, 2016

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Nude posted:

Aku no Hana is a show that was filmed using live actors and then rotoscoped so that it looks like an anime. A lot of people hated it (it was based on a manga and they wanted a traditional style), but I thought it was very cool. It has some amazing scenes and is only like 12 episodes long. Here is a trailer that's in German for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_1tx1FT95Q

also definitely agree with all Yuasa stuff and Madoka Magica

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Trippy, beautiful movies? Angel's Egg might be your jam. It's got a really neat Final Fantasy-meets-Lovecraft vibe, as people try to cling onto bizarre rituals to give their lives some meaning in a dying, alien world.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Nude posted:

There's always Mononoke, if you're looking for pretty interesting visuals while following The Medicine Seller around as he solves mysteries involving spirits

Here he is petting a cat

and here is some mononoke things

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Nude posted:

adolescence of utena but it basically requires watching the series as a prerequisite to make sense of the narrative

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
He should also watch Utena the series, though, so it works out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Belladonna of Sadness is great arty anime and has a restoration that is doing the rounds in US cinemas at the moment. Or so I've been told.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Thats good news. The readily available copy is dvd and has some real quality issues.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nude posted:

The Dagger of Kamui
Noiseman Sound Insect

Osamu Tezuka's Memory
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30okh_osamu-tezuka-memory_music

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Princess Kaguya doesn't do that much in terms of really pushing what you can do with the medium (though there are a few cool scenes that are more experimental) but it does have a fairly unique and beautiful art style. It's Ghibli so you mentioned it indirectly but I thought it was worth a call out.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. There's even one whole episode that's just the animators messing around with different styles of animation.

Tenamonya Voyagers, from the same director as Monogatari, is an old ova that might also fit. I'd recommend Birdy the Mighty: Decode, but it only really does anything like that in the last episode, though the style it has is already pretty unusual and cool-looking.

Kyousougiga might also fit, it doesn't experiment with different styles much but it does have interesting direction and surreal, beautiful visuals, but that might just be me wanting to take any opportunity to recommend Kyousougiga to everyone on Earth.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 18, 2016

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
:f5h::aaa: Ha ha yes you guys nailed it! Looks like I have a lot to watch. Thanks so much.

RabidWeasel posted:

Princess Kaguya doesn't do that much in terms of really pushing what you can do with the medium (though there are a few cool scenes that are more experimental) but it does have a fairly unique and beautiful art style. It's Ghibli so you mentioned it indirectly but I thought it was worth a call out.

That would still fits for me, I would consider it pushing the medium, but yeah I have seen it and really enjoyed it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Oh yeah, it might also be worth giving Kino's Journey a look. It's a pretty surreal, philosophical anime with a pretty dreamlike presentation and it often ties the themes of an episode into how it's directed.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 18, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah and watch Serial Experiments Lain. Like right now.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah and watch Serial Experiments Lain. Like right now.

So much this. Lain is fantastic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Redline is a goddamn gorgeous movie and if you haven't seen it yet, you've done your eyeballs a severe disservice.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Space Dandy is a huge bag of different stories featuring the same cast of characters from different directors and some of the episodes are absolutely what you're looking for, also. Most of them lean on the side of fun space comedy stuff, though, so be ready if you give it a look.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 18, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want something funny and action-y and dubbed in english.
Cyberpunk is awesome.

Things I've liked!

One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
FLCL
The Devil is a Part Timer
Yu Yu Hakusho
.hack//SIGNS
.hack//Liminality
.hack//Legend of Twilight
.hack//ROOTS
Fullmetal Alchemist

Things I didn't like

Tokyo Ghoul (the second season)
Gundam
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Naruto
One Piece
Is it Ok to pick up girls in a dungeon? <<< I hated this.
Tactics

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 19, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Space Dandy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Jormungand.