Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

edit: Regarding the skeleton, I think I might have fought it early? In front of the dungeon there was an old man and I picked 'curse' which I assumed would be "talk about a curse that exists in this dungeon that you are standing right in front of", but I guess my guy instead cursed him. I'm not sure what I was supposed to do there.

You break his curse by killing the skeleton. The dungeon has a mean trick if you don't do that first. Ideally you would have gone to the corruption and fought a boss there first but there's nothing stopping you from doing what you just did. You will need to fight that boss before you can progress further, though (unless you like fishing in the ocean).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, I won, so v:v:v

Once I took out the arms it seemed completely defenseless so I just wailed on it. I also used the hidden secret technique passed down through many generations known as "running the gently caress away" when I got low on health. I will explore the corrupted area some more once I'm done loving around in the dungeon.

AnimalChin posted:

Why did I wait so long to get into this game?

I too, just started a couple days ago and I'm having fun figuring things out (reading the wiki).

CJacobs buildings look so much better than mine.

And I keep getting killed by swarms of enemies if I wander off a bit from my spawn point. :mad:
Combat is my only complaint, really so far. It feels so clunky and frustrating, even with the broadsword attack arc. Flaming arrows are pretty sweet though.

edit: my poo poo is ghetto as gently caress compared to CJacobs :(

My houses look good pretty much by accident so don't feel too bad.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

None of the pre-hardmode bosses are particularly hard unless you're on expert mode. They mostly boil down to running away and shooting behind you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cicadalek posted:

You'll wanna fight Skeletron eventually, but there's some easier bosses between the Eye and him. Try exploring the Corruption/Crimson and breaking some ominous looking poo poo. You can also try exploring the jungle if you've found it, though that's a little tougher.

Also I swore to myself I would build an elaborate skybase once the last big update was released, and I have been doing so very slowly over the past year or so. Here's one thing i just finished

Uhh you only have three red slime banners to match your four blues and four greens, that's hardly complete :colbert:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

AnimalChin posted:

Combat is my only complaint, really so far. It feels so clunky and frustrating, even with the broadsword attack arc. Flaming arrows are pretty sweet though.

edit: my poo poo is ghetto as gently caress compared to CJacobs :(

In terms of buildings, everyone's gotta start off somewhere! Also if you're not enjoying melee, you should think about switching to another playstyle entirely. Ranged attacks or even a magic-heavy playstyle are both super fun ways to play.

EDIT: Speaking of a ranged playstyle, I have a gun that can do this.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The eater of worlds is terrifying and it hosed me up hard! :stonk:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 18, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The eater of worlds is terrifying and it hosed me up hard! :stonk:

Use something that can hit more than one segment at a time.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Man this is bringing me back. Remember the first time you went smashing orbs and then holy poo poo what the gently caress is that?!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Came back better prepared and kicked its rear end. :c00l:

Now I look like a huge badass in my ninja/shadow armor combo. So uh, now what do I do to advance the game state? I have officially run out of direction.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Now I look like a huge badass in my ninja/shadow armor combo. So uh, now what do I do to advance the game state? I have officially run out of direction.

You have three options right now. One is to delve into the dungeon and see what you can turn up down there. The second is to go to the opposite side of the world from the dungeon until you hit a jungle biome, then find a cave and start spelunking. The third option is to start tunneling until you find lava. Then keep going down past that. I recommend you do this after you find a purple key in the dungeon.

There's also a really good chance that in the next couple of nights a meteor is going to strike your world somewhere. You should also spend some time digging it up and turning it into cool poo poo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Make a demonite pick. Dig greedily and dig deep. But first look around in the sky and maybe in the jungle for optional but good loot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Update: :siren:I have been attacked by goblins!:siren:

I don't know how I caused this to happen but I defeated them and nobody died so I am pleased.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Update: :siren:I have been attacked by goblins!:siren:

I don't know how I caused this to happen but I defeated them and nobody died so I am pleased.

It happens when you get strong enough and smash at least one shadow orb. Go search your dungeon for a new friend.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A meteor fell but I think it might have hit a floating island? Can that happen? I combed the ground over my whole world and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

A meteor fell but I think it might have hit a floating island? Can that happen? I combed the ground over my whole world and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Yes, it can! :madmax:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They can also land down the bottom of the corruption chasms, or even out in the ocean.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Blind Sally posted:

Yes, it can! :madmax:

Fuuuuuuckkk

dis astranagant posted:

They can also land down the bottom of the corruption chasms, or even out in the ocean.

Crap. Well I guess it's time to check everywhere then.

Also, house update:

Still need to redecorate. Waiting for more occupants. A painter lives in the bottom rightmost house but he likes to just wander off sometimes for some reason.

edit: I feel like the clothier's portrait of himself (?) is a bit narcissistic but I'm willing to let him keep it as long as he doesn't turn into a skeleton again.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 18, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But the skeleton has nice drops you probably didn't get since they're something like 1 in 7 each.

The only way to keep npcs from wandering around is to make something like this:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Found it, I didn't realize that the world continued past the dungeon since I had never tried to climb over it before. :downs:

dis astranagant posted:

But the skeleton has nice drops you probably didn't get since they're something like 1 in 7 each.

Those poor computer people and their adhd :(

edit: oh poo poo meteorite sets you on fire :supaburn:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 18, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

I've found the best way to keep NPCs from wandering around is to put them in a room anywhere but the ground floor, and to isolate it from doors outside (no platform block stairs or whatever). Top of a tower, 2F loft, goon basement... the possibilities are limited only to your architectural expertise.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Found it, I didn't realize that the world continued past the dungeon since I had never tried to climb over it before. :downs:

Those poor computer people and their adhd :(

The world extends all the way to the Ocean on both sides of the map!

Eventually you'll want to have a way to get from one end of the world to the other. There are items that can help you return to your home base quickly, but eventually you'll want to consider setting up a minecart track to take you to the other side. (It's not completely necessary, I've never done it myself.)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Do you have any obsidian? You can use a few pieces to make a skull trinket which will prevent you from being set on fire.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Success! I am now set for life (or at least for a while) on meteorite bars.

DoubleNegative posted:

Do you have any obsidian? You can use a few pieces to make a skull trinket which will prevent you from being set on fire.

I wish I'd refreshed this thread before spending like an hour tiptoeing around it with sand!

edit: what the hell is a hamaxe, how does that make sense

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

edit: what the hell is a hamaxe, how does that make sense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleopZtUlg0

But with a dumb name.

Terraria's best worst tool name is probably the Pickaxe Axe. There was also the Hamdrax but it's just a Drax now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

in hell, send help

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I HAVE MADE MISTAKES :stonk:

edit:

On the third try, mistake corrected :c00lbert:

Although the game said something about hard mode so I think this might have been a bad idea.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 18, 2016

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Keep the updates, want to see your first nights at hardmode

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

benzine posted:

Keep the updates, want to see your first nights at hardmode

:ohdear: So what changed? What do I do now?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Did you kill the Wall of Flesh? If so, then you should have gotten a "Pwnhammer." It's the only item in the game capable of destroying demon altars.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

:ohdear: So what changed? What do I do now?

Everything changed. Hell is now the safest place on the map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You aren't kidding! I am now getting pretty much relentlessly mauled by wolves. Apparently the corrupted areas can spread now, what can I do about that? Do I have to emulate our lord and savior President Trump and just build a big-rear end wall?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You aren't kidding! I am now getting pretty much relentlessly mauled by wolves. Apparently the corrupted areas can spread now, what can I do about that? Do I have to emulate our lord and savior President Trump and just build a big-rear end wall?

There is nothing reasonable you can do about it. It always spread but you got a one time extra stripe right through whatever the gently caress it wanted as well as an opposing stripe of new fun stuff. The spread is pretty slow and will get slower once you make a lot of progress. And eventually you'll be able to simply change vast swaths of land to suit you.

You need to break demon altars to progress. 6-9 should be plenty. There's a bunch in the corruption.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My house appears to unfortunately be right in between the stripes it generated. The water all around the surrounding area is a nice healthy purple color now. :cripes:

I will look for some altars to smash.

edit: aaaaa I just went under my house and the tunnels underneath are already full of purple gunk shiiiiit piiiiissss

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 18, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I should specify that a bit: the original corruption. New ones didn't spawn.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I broke a ton of the altars. The monsters appear to be significantly more riled up now that I'm in hardmode but I'm a huge badass so it was no big issue. :clint:

I'm assuming now I should be a) building more houses for all these drat NPCs I'm probably about to meet and b) finding these new ores that I've just magic-ed in.

edit: :siren:I now have a sick-rear end chainsaw:siren:

edit again: Aww it's a tool what the gently caress. Ah well at least I have a bunch of palladium left over. I got lucky and some spawned like right outside the tunnels next to my house.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 18, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I'm assuming now I should be a) building more houses for all these drat NPCs I'm probably about to meet and b) finding these new ores that I've just magic-ed in.
Correct. I'd also recommend killing a lot of the new enemies to farm their drops.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dis astranagant posted:

And eventually you'll be able to simply change vast swaths of land to suit you.

What, how?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
MIMICS

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Holy/Unholy water, the Clentaminator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The ensuing threat of gross purple and/or shiny happy destruction of my pretty house has messed up my concentration. I'm kind of bummed that there's essentially nothing I can do about it. On the bright side I have cool armor now.