Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Wheeee posted:

He works out and is better looking than the nerds who hate him in addition to the obvious of being grossly more successful in life.

Like, nobody can hate Whedon because no matter how rich his products make him he's still a gross little manchild.

It's a purely visceral reaction.

Maybe his movies just suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Cameo posted:

How quickly people forget 2004 and how Snyder committed the blasphemy of making Romero zombies run - and not just a lumbering jog, but full blown sprinting. The corner of horror fans that were zombie nerds (because back then that's all they were - a subculture in a subculture on the fringe of the mainstream) were livid over even the idea of it. 28 Days Later was okay because those were "infected". This was spitting in the eye of George himself.

Needless to say, Snyder has always attracted derision for going against the grain. Doing Last Temptation with Superman and having Bruce Wayne going full Falling Down are just the latest trespasses against the borders of nerd culture. And Watchmen is a whole other front. 300 and Sucker Punch are minor (although Punch really, really makes some people sore) by comparison, and Ga'Hoole doesn't even register because what self-respecting nerd goes to see a movie about owls?*

You can imagine this guy is going to end up doing Akira, and he's somehow going to make it actually take place in Tokyo and have at least one Japanese/Japanese-American actor as a protagonist and squeeze every last bit of paranoia and grime and insanity contained in that story, and this will somehow be the worst possible thing that could have happened to it and why didn't they just leave it well enough alone, how could they have let him get his grubby mitts on it, he ruins everything

* Ga'Hoole kinda loving owns, by the way. A weird Don Bluth and Frank Frazetta lovechild of a thing. Owls with battle helmets and talon swords and a baby owl absolutely disturbed by its own natural body functions and getting Helen Mirren, Excalibur's Morgana, as the big baddie.

Then again he makes bad movies.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Spun Dog posted:

Maybe his movies just suck?

Shageletic posted:

Then again he makes bad movies.

No they're good actually.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Please let Zack Snyder direct a Metal Gear movie. I think it would actually be really good and appropriate

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot how good MGS2 was.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Tiberius Christ posted:

Well Zach Snyder did direct a couple superman movies that's basically loving around with nerd religious icons and any radically different treatment on them is going to send the fanatics into a frenzy.

It's the classic case of audiences getting upset because the movie on the screen doesn't match the movie in their heads.

I don't love everything Snyder does but everything he does do is vibrantly different from whatever the current fashion is. He's completely willing to put what's in his head on the screen and he doesn't let anyone push him around. I really respect that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Cameo posted:

How quickly people forget 2004 and how Snyder committed the blasphemy of making Romero zombies run - and not just a lumbering jog, but full blown sprinting. The corner of horror fans that were zombie nerds (because back then that's all they were - a subculture in a subculture on the fringe of the mainstream) were livid over even the idea of it. 28 Days Later was okay because those were "infected". This was spitting in the eye of George himself.

Needless to say, Snyder has always attracted derision for going against the grain. Doing Last Temptation with Superman and having Bruce Wayne going full Falling Down are just the latest trespasses against the borders of nerd culture. And Watchmen is a whole other front. 300 and Sucker Punch are minor (although Punch really, really makes some people sore) by comparison, and Ga'Hoole doesn't even register because what self-respecting nerd goes to see a movie about owls?*

You can imagine this guy is going to end up doing Akira, and he's somehow going to make it actually take place in Tokyo and have at least one Japanese/Japanese-American actor as a protagonist and squeeze every last bit of paranoia and grime and insanity contained in that story, and this will somehow be the worst possible thing that could have happened to it and why didn't they just leave it well enough alone, how could they have let him get his grubby mitts on it, he ruins everything

* Ga'Hoole kinda loving owns, by the way. A weird Don Bluth and Frank Frazetta lovechild of a thing. Owls with battle helmets and talon swords and a baby owl absolutely disturbed by its own natural body functions and getting Helen Mirren, Excalibur's Morgana, as the big baddie.
If the Dawn of the Dead remake wasn't titled Dawn of the Dead, it would have probably been more liked.

DrVenkman posted:

Snyder will make another movie, people will like it, life goes on. Not everyone gets it 'right'. Frothing hatred for anyone over a movie is patently ridiculous anyway.
I would not want to hang around a person who would like Zack Snyder's The Fountainhead

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

achillesforever6 posted:

I would not want to hang around a person who would like Zack Snyder's The Fountainhead

[aggressively entering conversation] Oh, you mean Man of Steel (2013)?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

If the Dawn of the Dead remake wasn't titled Dawn of the Dead, it would have probably been more liked.

It was liked by most people. It got positive reviews and did decent at the box office.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Alhazred posted:

It was liked by most people. It got positive reviews and did decent at the box office.

Yep, it seems to be his best liked movie so far. After that looks like things kind of drop off.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/zack_snyder/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's because the original Dawn of the Dead is both amazing, and also in no way a perfect film. Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead? Those are untouchable and woe be any who try to remake them.

DAWN of the Dead? That's easily the least best made of the three, with the most amount of flaws and weird bullshit going on. It might be the least subtle movie ever made by human hands and it has the weirdest tone shifts.

A good remake of Dawn of the Dead can stand on its own well enough to be its own thing and be judged accordingly because no one is going to remake the original nor want it remade to the letter.

Snyder made a good remake.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Burkion posted:

That's because the original Dawn of the Dead is both amazing, and also in no way a perfect film. Night of the Living Dead, Day of the Dead? Those are untouchable and woe be any who try to remake them.

DAWN of the Dead? That's easily the least best made of the three, with the most amount of flaws and weird bullshit going on. It might be the least subtle movie ever made by human hands and it has the weirdest tone shifts.

A good remake of Dawn of the Dead can stand on its own well enough to be its own thing and be judged accordingly because no one is going to remake the original nor want it remade to the letter.

Snyder made a good remake.
that's actually a good point considering how awful the Night of the Living Dead/Day of the Dead remakes are.

I should say I don't really like the Dawn of the Dead remake, but that's more of personal preference to the original and the remake not really clicking for me.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

See, I'm at the very least curious about it. Like, how full bore will be go with the objectivist stuff? Will we get something like Bioshock that criticizes it, or something more genuine?

At this point Snyder is a director who will always put my butt in a seat for their movies. Him and Edgar Wright.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead was also written by James Gunn, I think his first script after his Troma stuff.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Fountainhead has a guy blowing up a building, and then making a skyscraper that is a monument to man's achievements from the proceeds of a defunct newspaper.

He also gives a speech in court about how cool he is, which causes the judge to declare him "not guilty" even though he's got plenty of evidence that this dude did, in fact, blow up a building.

It's a wacked-out dreamworld from the mind of someone who was mentally 17 so OF COURSE Snyder is attracted to it. He loves that poo poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Chairman Capone posted:

Snyder's Dawn of the Dead was also written by James Gunn, I think his first script after his Troma stuff.

They should team up more often.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

James Gunn wrote movies before that.

Scooby Doo being the big one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Phylodox posted:

They should team up more often.

:agreed:

DoTD Remake was loving awesome and I dont even care much for the zombie genre (and loved the original to pieces).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGxUkubKjg

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oddium posted:

just how high was this guy !! haha !! i'm so intrinsically bankrupt of creativity that drugs and art are synonymous to me

on the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRXVHfbgp_U

that's not creativity, that's just bugfuck insanity

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Slipknot, the most successful member of Team Suicide.

I doubt it, since his name is Slipknot.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

on the other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRXVHfbgp_U

that's not creativity, that's just bugfuck insanity

Your bar for insanity is too low. You don't think a sane person could have sat down for a day and planned that out?

I never watched Man of Steel because I didn't like how it looked. Shallow, I know, but the desaturated palette and high-contrast shadows reminded me of the lovely pirated dvds I used to watch when I was a kid. I guess it's worth a shot? The MCU is boring.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Your bar for insanity is too low. You don't think a sane person could have sat down for a day and planned that out?

I never watched Man of Steel because I didn't like how it looked. Shallow, I know, but the desaturated palette and high-contrast shadows reminded me of the lovely pirated dvds I used to watch when I was a kid. I guess it's worth a shot? The MCU is boring.

Maybe it's just me, but Man of Steel has some incredibly rich colors in it (like pretty much every Snyder movie). Hopefully you didn't get that impression from that "What if Man of Steel Was in Color?" video because the person who made that intentionally changed the color palette just to prove a non-existent point. And not to open that can of worms, but I would recommend watching it. As someone who was always bored by Superman, I think it did a good job of giving him depth in a way that hadn't been done in movies previously. But I also really like Batman v Superman, so your mileage may vary.

As for the Kojima MGS2 stuff, I think his process was basically locking himself in a room for long periods of time to write the plot so we got the great stuff in MGS2 as a result of lots of isolation, apparently.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 18, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That video is the best. He turned the sky purple and smugly said it looked better.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Maybe it's just me, but Man of Steel has some incredibly rich colors in it (like pretty much every Snyder movie). Hopefully you didn't get that impression from that "What if Man of Steel Was in Color?" video because the person who made that intentionally changed the color palette just to prove a non-existent point. And not to open that can of worms, but I would recommend watching it. As someone who was always bored by Superman, I think it did a good job of giving him depth in a way that hadn't been done in movies previously. But I also really like Batman v Superman, so your mileage may vary.

As for the Kojima MGS2 stuff, I think his process was basically locking himself in a room for long periods of time to write the plot so we got the great stuff in MGS2 as a result of lots of isolation, apparently.

Nah, I didn't really get exposed to the mass-hatred of that movie until way after it came out. I'll have to give it a go, since now I've heard it's markedly divergent from the other superhero movies.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

That video is the best. He turned the sky purple and smugly said it looked better.

And most nerds unironically agreed

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The NOLTD remake is pretty good, even if it's ugly as hell at times.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The ending is also unambiguously worse. It's just a movie that does not need to exist.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Snyder wanting to do The Fountainhead is a little overblown, since he specifically talks about how he related it to the artistic process. It seems less that he's into Ayn Rand and more that he just read that book and thought huh, this sums up some of the things I feel as an artist. If he was an objectivist I wouldn't be surprised mind, given some of the stuff in MoS and BvS, but still.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Agreed. Tom Savini directed that, right? Would've been interesting to see him direct more stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Agreed. Tom Savini directed that, right? Would've been interesting to see him direct more stuff.

Yeah and same. Supposedly he has a film in preproduction.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah and same. Supposedly he has a film in preproduction.

He's one of those dudes like Wes Craven where every time he talks you feel like you're getting a dope college lecture on horror.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Nah, I didn't really get exposed to the mass-hatred of that movie until way after it came out. I'll have to give it a go, since now I've heard it's markedly divergent from the other superhero movies.

I wouldn't say it's that extremely different. Like yeah it's definitely noticeable, but it is the same ballpark of "superhero movie".

There's two really big things about Man of Steel specifically that set it apart. One is that it is expressly sincere. There's no "you should change your name to SHIELD instead of that long-rear end acronym" style of witty banter. The closest thing I can kinda compare to is the original Thor. Thor in that film is the same sort of "yes this world of magic actually exists", although he's a bit of an rear end in a top hat at the beginning.

The second thing is that Superman is not really the star of his movie for a significant chunk of it. The first 20 minutes or so of the film could be an entirely separate short film titled "Krypton" and it would work out perfectly. This goes away the farther you get into the movie, but a theme that continues into BvS is about the world reacting to Superman, not necessarily what he does but who he is.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Sadly he got hosed over by the producers, not Romero, and what resulted was not what he really wanted to do.

Hopefully his future film turns out a lot better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He's one of those dudes like Wes Craven where every time he talks you feel like you're getting a dope college lecture on horror.

I ran into him at the Alamo and was star struck. He was very nice to my babbling. I'll always regret meeting him that way.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DrVenkman posted:

If he was an objectivist I wouldn't be surprised mind, given some of the stuff in MoS and BvS, but still.

There is no such thing as an objectivist who says "Superman is my favorite superhero." There is no Objectivist who gives an interview and says "helping people is cool." The idea of a Superman is functionally the Antichrist to Objectivists and would repel an Objectivist director like garlic to a vampire.

"Zack Snyder could be an Objectivist" means that you don't know anything about either one of those things. Let's kill that dumb rumor dead, ok?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Do we know anything about Spider Man: Homecoming besides RDJ being in it?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I

HIJK posted:

Feige said that The Wall is going to be the main villain, IIRC.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Electromax posted:

Feige said that The Wall is going to be the main villain, IIRC.

I'm definitely seeing this cinematic masterpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HIJK posted:

Hot aunt.

• Locked thread