Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, it's no Pink Sparkle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The base damage is basically a single beam. It's a fire at will console.

:flaccid:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I'm probably not doing this CE event. I have better poo poo to play, amongst other things Fslayer second awakening just got released on DFO :toot:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For a lazy FAW antiproton beam boat engineer, is there a particular rep or whatever I should focus on to boost DPS? I'm at level 57, have XI CritHx3 beams, a full set of those antiproton boost consoles, Emitter Arrays, RCS and Neutronium Alloy engineering consoles, and I'm just starting the Iconian mission chain. My only rep gear so far is a ZPE Conduit for the extra crit chance.

There isn't anything particular I'm aiming at, I just want to kill PvE stuff faster. Being able to tank literally everything on the map at once in queues without ever going below 50% health is nice, but flying around in circles for five minutes while paying literally zero attention to what I'm doing other than triggering Science Team/Miracle Worker every so often gets kind of boring.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Intel primary, strategist secondary, especially if you use the APD Prime trait.

Traar
Jun 9, 2014
A contest to my fellow goons!

This morning I was looking through my old g-mail stuff and found another friendly message from our dear friend Treaver Calkum. Given the nature of his most friendly message, I have decided to offer the following as a contest to whomsoever wishes to partake!

The reward (as I'm both a cheap rear end and space poor) is 5m EC.

The rant: http://pastebin.com/LW0r5nUi

The first one who can repost that rant in a way that is grammatically correct and makes sense wins the prize!

That is all.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Traar posted:

This morning I was looking through my old g-mail stuff and found another friendly message from our dear friend Treaver Calkum. Given the nature of his most friendly message, I have decided to offer the following as a contest to whomsoever wishes to partake!

The first one who can repost that rant in a way that is grammatically correct and makes sense wins the prize!

That is all.

quote:

what de Heww do you want Wobas ? come to twoww me fow youw wadiostaw.fm budies .wike de pastebins you made ? dats wight i saw dem and awso you did dweaten me in twekkies pawadise .so weave me de Heww awone de Fwiendship We Bof Had is gone and its not gonna bwing it back i been dwowen undew bus befowe wif Fwight of de Phoenix ,and you know what it to move on fwom aww de pain i cause and you whewe a good fwiend of mine but you change you idowize de vewy peopwe we twuwwy despiesed just wike Jude Connews and i chaanged too i weawn my mistakes dat a best weapon against a twoww is ignowe dem so you can go to heww and btw you awe a wousy Dwummew .

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Traar posted:

That is all.

quote:

ʇɐɥʍ ǝɥʇ ןןǝɥ op noʎ ʇuɐʍ sɐqoɹ ¿ ǝɯoɔ oʇ ןןoɹʇ ǝɯ ɹoɟ ɹnoʎ ɹɐʇsoıpɐɹ˙ɯɟ sǝıpnq ˙ǝʞıן ǝɥʇ suıqǝʇsɐd noʎ ǝpɐɯ ¿ sʇɐɥʇ ʇɥƃıɹ ı ʍɐs ɯǝɥʇ puɐ osןɐ noʎ pıp uǝʇɐǝɹɥʇ ǝɯ uı sǝıʞʞǝɹʇ ǝsıpɐɹɐd ˙os ǝʌɐǝן ǝɯ ǝɥʇ ןןǝɥ ǝuoןɐ ǝɥʇ dıɥspuǝıɹɟ ǝʍ ɥʇoq pɐɥ sı ǝuoƃ puɐ sʇı ʇou ɐuuoƃ ƃuıɹq ʇı ʞɔɐq ı uǝǝq uǝʍoɹɥʇ ɹǝpun snq ǝɹoɟǝq ɥʇıʍ ʇɥƃıןɟ ɟo ǝɥʇ xıuǝoɥd 'puɐ noʎ ʍouʞ ʇɐɥʍ ʇı oʇ ǝʌoɯ uo ɯoɹɟ ןןɐ ǝɥʇ uıɐd ı ǝsnɐɔ puɐ noʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ɐ pooƃ puǝıɹɟ ɟo ǝuıɯ ʇnq noʎ ǝƃuɐɥɔ noʎ ǝzıןopı ǝɥʇ ʎɹǝʌ ǝןdoǝd ǝʍ ʎןןnɹʇ pǝsǝıdsǝp ʇsnɾ ǝʞıן ǝpnɾ sɹǝuuoɔ puɐ ı pǝƃuɐɐɥɔ ooʇ ı uɹɐǝן ʎɯ sǝʞɐʇsıɯ ʇɐɥʇ ɐ ʇsǝq uodɐǝʍ ʇsuıɐƃɐ ɐ ןןoɹʇ sı ǝɹouƃı ɯǝɥʇ os noʎ uɐɔ oƃ oʇ ןןǝɥ puɐ ʍʇq noʎ ǝɹɐ ɐ ʎsnoן ɹǝɯɯnɹp ˙

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Roadie posted:

For a lazy FAW antiproton beam boat engineer, is there a particular rep or whatever I should focus on to boost DPS? I'm at level 57, have XI CritHx3 beams, a full set of those antiproton boost consoles, Emitter Arrays, RCS and Neutronium Alloy engineering consoles, and I'm just starting the Iconian mission chain. My only rep gear so far is a ZPE Conduit for the extra crit chance.

There isn't anything particular I'm aiming at, I just want to kill PvE stuff faster. Being able to tank literally everything on the map at once in queues without ever going below 50% health is nice, but flying around in circles for five minutes while paying literally zero attention to what I'm doing other than triggering Science Team/Miracle Worker every so often gets kind of boring.
For rep equipment, you'll want the Iconian 4-piece space set, and it doesn't hurt to grab the KCB and console from Omega rep. Upgrade them to mk xiv when you can afford to, but don't try for quality upgrades except for the engine. You really want to get that AMP modifier on th engine as soon as you can.

For your consoles, you'll want to save your fleet credits and get Spire tactical crtd consoles and Embassy plasma science consoles, as many as you can fit. Those you do want to upgrade to mk xiv gold during an upgrade event, because they're relatively cheap to gild and give good bonuses for doing so. Your engineering console slots are for universals, you'll eventually have so many that you can never run any actual eng consoles. Plasmonic leech is relatively cheap right now, so that's something you might look at.

For weapons, crith is cheap but not really very good. Good modifiers to look for are PEN, CrtD, and DMG in that order (tactical captains want PEN, DMG, CrtD instead for reasons). Avoid the other crafting modifiers, they're mostly broken or traps. Also avoid ACC if you're using FAW, because ACC doesn't work while FAW is on because cryptic hates you. Like the space set, upgrading the weapons to mk xiv is important, don't worry about upgrading their quality unless you hate your dil and want to lose it all.

Note that this isn't engineer specific, it's a pretty generic end game equipment list that will work on any ship with any captain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

g0del posted:

Avoid the other crafting modifiers, they're mostly broken or traps.

For instance, [snare] applies a speed debuff.

To you.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

g0del posted:

For rep equipment, you'll want the Iconian 4-piece space set, and it doesn't hurt to grab the KCB and console from Omega rep. Upgrade them to mk xiv when you can afford to, but don't try for quality upgrades except for the engine. You really want to get that AMP modifier on the engine as soon as you can.

Isn't AMP on the warp core?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
a blog on some of the lighting changes coming to the Consoles and PC this fall

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9970903

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 18, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Burning_Monk posted:

AMP is on the core.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

This is what I get for writing that up based on memory. Upgrade the core for AMP, not the engines.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
https://twitter.com/IQ_Leaks/status/732946944742592512

Starting to think Cryptic are deliberately allowing this stuff to leak.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

gently caress

i love jjtrek aesthetic, not gonna lie. uniforms, interiors, hulls...just so dang sharp!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SKY COQ posted:

https://twitter.com/IQ_Leaks/status/732946944742592512

But where's the lens flare, Cryptic?!

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Roadie posted:

On the back wall.

I'm serious. There are lights on the back wall that have the same lens flare FX as Stars.

And it isn't a D4 cruiser, it is a Bird of Prey, the one from Into Darkness.

SKY COQ posted:

It isn't as if they left this stuff in the open, you need to need to know what you're looking for to access it.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 18, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I normally wouldn't post this stuff but it's starting to get reported on news sites so I reckon it's safe.

http://1701news.com/node/1197/star-trek-online-planning-abramsverse-crossover.html

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Roadie posted:

Better?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It's all so shiny.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Now fill it with discoballs.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

18 Character Limit posted:

Now fill it with discoballs.

This, but surprised and disappointed that someone had to ask for discoballs. We've come down in the world.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
It's all our duty to fill it with discoballs. That is our purpose.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trebuchet King posted:

gently caress

i love jjtrek aesthetic, not gonna lie. uniforms, interiors, hulls...just so dang sharp!

Yeah, the writing in those movies is just so un-Trek to me, but I've always loved their visual design sense. And that bridge looks cool as gently caress.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Hate to be that guy but why not? This ain't gonna bring me back either, sure the bridge looks great but there's no reason you'd ever see it in the coarse of the game so... (Shrug)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just wish they'd make a Galaxy interior that nice. :( It's the only hero ship left without a proper interior: Defiant, TOS and Voyager all have them.

Well, Sovvy and NX. Meh.

Oh, and The Enterprise-A! The TUC bridge was the classiest motherfucker of them all.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 19, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Wait, not-flat-colour textures on interior environments now?

How long after the next expack will it be before pubbies are demanding Cryptic support people whose last upgrade was a Slot II Celeron with a TNT graphics card?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Dr. Lariat posted:

Hate to be that guy but why not? This ain't gonna bring me back either, sure the bridge looks great but there's no reason you'd ever see it in the coarse of the game so... (Shrug)

You forgot about that one mission where you decrypt Tal Shiar codes in your ready room, you pleb.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Empress Theonora posted:

Yeah, the writing in those movies is just so un-Trek to me, but I've always loved their visual design sense. And that bridge looks cool as gently caress.

No bridge with a big open bay window to the outside is a worthwhile design. But this has been a problem with Trek since literally Day 1 with the zoom in through the Enterprise dome.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I always thought it wasn't an actual glass window to the outside but a giant display screen that simulated what's going on outside. Kind of like how they can have it switch over to facetime with other ship captains.

Now putting your bridge right on top of a flat, exposed saucer section yeah that's not good. They'd probably end up with less crewmen fried by exploding computers if they buried that thing a little deeper inside the ship.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Berke Negri posted:

I always thought it wasn't an actual glass window to the outside but a giant display screen that simulated what's going on outside. Kind of like how they can have it switch over to facetime with other ship captains.

Now putting your bridge right on top of a flat, exposed saucer section yeah that's not good. They'd probably end up with less crewmen fried by exploding computers if they buried that thing a little deeper inside the ship.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You're assuming the hull is any stronger than the window is. Trek ships are held together with magic structural integrity fields.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Tunicate posted:

You're assuming the hull is any stronger than the window is. Trek ships are held together with magic structural integrity fields.

That still doesn't mean you put it on the outside of the ship. Put several decks between the bridge and the incoming damage!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the original idea was that shields were everything: without them, a single shot would take out the bridge no matter how deep it was buried.

Also, the other thing I saw floated that they never used is that the entire bridge module is an escape pod, so the bridge crew can stay at stations until they need to eject.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

kafziel posted:

That still doesn't mean you put it on the outside of the ship. Put several decks between the bridge and the incoming damage!

That only puts half the ship between the bridge and the source of damage. This way shields the bridge with the WHOLE ship.

The real problem is the helmsman.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The JJTrek bridge viewscreen functions are projected over a window while the Enterprise D and E viewscreens are projectors built into a bulkhead. The D does have a skylight over the bridge though.

Pretty sure the viewscreen on the Origin bridge for the Feds is a take on the JJtrek design.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

quote:

what the Hell do you want Robas ? come to troll me for your radiostar.fm budies .like the pastebins you made ? thats right i saw them and also you did threaten me in trekkies paradise .so leave me the Hell alone the Friendship We Both Had is gone and its not gonna bring it back i been throwen under bus before with Flight of the Phoenix ,and you know what it to move on from all the pain i cause and you where a good friend of mine but you change you idolize the very people we trully despiesed just like Jude Conners and i chaanged too i learn my mistakes that a best weapon against a troll is ignore them so you can go to hell and btw you are a lousy Drummer .

quote:

Good day to you Robas, how can I help you? I wonder if you are friends with Radiostar.fm; I ask because in my fever dreams the only reason anyone could want to antagonize me is because Radiostar.fm put them up to it, and not because I am an incorrigible pharisee with a martyr complex. I think that evidence for the former case, vis. that in receiving this e-mail you are acting on behalf of Radiostar.fm, can be found in the pastebins which I believe you have fabricated previously. You may have thought that I didn't see them, but you were mistaken. As an aside, in Trekkies Paradise did I mis-read, misattribute or outright fabricate a threat issued by you against me, your humble and blameless correspondent?

While I imagine that we used to be friends, that is long in the past, and I would not appreciate your further efforts to contact me, such as by replying to this unsolicited e-mail. Further, I believe that the differences that now exist between us are such that no effort, however Herculean, could bridge that gulf and revive our previous friendship. This I say because I believe I was unjustly treated during the Flight of the Phoenix affair; you must be aware how difficult it was to move on from all the pain I suffered because I imagined you were a good friend of mine until it became obvious that you were also on good terms with people I despise, a strong parallel with Jude Conners.

I must own that I changed during this time, and I have learned from my mistakes. I now know that the best weapon against a troll is to send them an unsolicited e-mail straight out of a fever dream ignore them.

In summary: you are a better drummer than Ringo, which still ranks you as a bad drummer, and I would appreciate it if you could please visit Boston, Ohio at your soonest convenience.

How'd I do?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Berke Negri posted:

I always thought the battle bridge on the Enterprise D was supposed to serve that purpose. Then I wonder why the hell they ever use the main bridge when they have a functionally identical, easier to defend spare bridge to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Tunicate posted:

That only puts half the ship between the bridge and the source of damage. This way shields the bridge with the WHOLE ship.

The real problem is the helmsman.

Or you're shielding the bridge with zero of the ship if they shoot from below you.

• Locked thread