Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
As far as I'm concerned you don't need any brake covered at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
What maintenance steps do you cheat on?

I've been doing my own service on all my bikes, and mostly I've followed the manual to the letter. However, I have never re-lubed the steering or swing arm bearings, only checked play and smoothness.
Also I'm supposed to check the air induction system every 10000 km. Only did that when I had the valve cover off for valve inspection.

And come on, who the hell replaces brake hoses every four years?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The 13k valve check on the sv. Knowing my luck, even though the valves are bulletproof on these engines, it's gonna explode tomorrow. Than I'll have blown up two bikes!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife learned about replacing brake hoses last trip we took to Sturgis.

I tend to skip fork oil and rear brake fluid.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Beach Bum posted:

Where do most of you folks put you foot controls? (apologies in advance if this is a :can: topic)

I started with my rear brake quite high, and have recently brought it down until I can bring my toe forward off the peg and press with a slight toe lift. I feel like I could drop it a bit more to allow me to rest arch-on-pegs (peg up against the heel block) and have my foot in a completely neutral position covering the rear brake, but with how angled my feet are "in neutral" I'm concerned that if I find myself trailbraking through a right turn I'm going to start dragging toes. I usually ride toe-on-pegs, because I feel like I get much better feedback, I can get my legs in the tank grooves, and I get more weight on the pegs and off my butt, but there's that half-second of reaction time to get my foot on the pedal if something were to go south in a hurry. If I ride arch-on-pegs all of the above is opposite (no tank grooves, less feedback, more butt weight) but I do gain the benefit of having the rear brake covered at all times.

The shifter side isn't really that much of an issue, I set it so that in neutral- heel-to-peg position the knob is dead center, so I either ride slightly splayed while heel-to-peg or toe-to-peg, in which case the shifter is neutral to my natural ankle angle and I can easily position to shift either way.

I probably just need a taller bike/seat, (I could flat-foot this bike barefooted with like a 160-degree knee angle) but that comes with higher CoG and a lower relative bar height (bar height is not of any huge concern, my core is pretty good thanks to several backroad century days and weekday commuting), and the fact that the most rise I might get out of a seat is about an inch (without going custom, which is an option).

For the record I'm 6'4" with a 32-34" inseam, on an '08 Ninja500R.

I apologize for spamming :shobon: questions at this thread but it seems the Internet has wildly varying opinions without all that much grounding in logic.

Adjust the controls until they feel natural to you. For me, this is foot controls at an angle where when I slide my foot forward it is directly over the brake, and my shifter set the same. I'm ok with bending my ankle pretty far forward to get it under the shifter.

For hand controls, adjust them so when you're sitting on the bike with your hands on he bars in a position that feels natural, the lever, your wrist, and your elbow are all in a line.

A taller/bigger bike will help you feel more comfortable in the long run but tough it out on this one for awhile longer. Once you feel comfortable enough operating a motorcycle, start trying other bikes as well and getting a feel for what is out here. The direction you're gonna wanna go if you want something that feels like it fits is probably adventure/dual sport/supermoto.

I skimp on chain maintenance and just replace them every 15k. I used to be so good about it, too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

KARMA! posted:

Why the gently caress do you need the rear to be covered 24/7? Are you afraid of looping the bike every time you touch the throttle? :confused: just keep your toes on the pegs until you need them.

And you don't need a taller seat.

That's why I asked, I don't really know and they don't cover customizing the bike to yourself and foot placement at the BRC.

clutchpuck posted:

As far as I'm concerned you don't need any brake covered at all times.

...which is the same way I drive my cars. Bikes are different in a lot of ways and I just wanted to hear what more experienced riders think/do.

Z3n posted:

Adjust the controls until they feel natural to you. For me, this is foot controls at an angle where when I slide my foot forward it is directly over the brake, and my shifter set the same. I'm ok with bending my ankle pretty far forward to get it under the shifter.

For hand controls, adjust them so when you're sitting on the bike with your hands on the bars in a position that feels natural, the lever, your wrist, and your elbow are all in a line.

A taller/bigger bike will help you feel more comfortable in the long run but tough it out on this one for awhile longer. Once you feel comfortable enough operating a motorcycle, start trying other bikes as well and getting a feel for what is out here. The direction you're gonna wanna go if you want something that feels like it fits is probably adventure/dual sport/supermoto.

I've already got both hand levers rotated as far forward as they can go (brake line blocking on the brake lever, electrical connector blocking on the clutch) and I still feel like I'd be better suited to another ten to fifteen degrees more, but they're decent where they are and miles better from where they were (pretty much parallel to the ground).

Thanks all. Just wanna have fun and be safe.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

makka-setan posted:

What maintenance steps do you cheat on?

I've been doing my own service on all my bikes, and mostly I've followed the manual to the letter. However, I have never re-lubed the steering or swing arm bearings, only checked play and smoothness.
Also I'm supposed to check the air induction system every 10000 km. Only did that when I had the valve cover off for valve inspection.

And come on, who the hell replaces brake hoses every four years?

Oil change. Punch hole in filter, fill with JB weld.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My poo poo doesnt run long enough for maintenance intervals. :v:

1k oil, 5k valves, 1-2x year or 10k chassis lube

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I have brand new sets of swingarm and steering stem bearings. They've been sitting in the my box of motorcycle things for some time. Still haven't replaced them.
I even have the swing bearing removal/install tool.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Beach Bum posted:

That's why I asked, I don't really know and they don't cover customizing the bike to yourself and foot placement at the BRC.

the hidden problem with covering the rear brake is that you'll stomp on it the moment you feel unsafe and locking the rear. Because your foot cannot distinguish the difference between hitting the brakes in a car and braking with the rear on a motorcycle, you'll do a cool skid without bleeding much speed, cocking the bike to one side before it dumps you unceremoniously on the pavement. You'll proudly proclaim you had to "lay 'er down" because you're not smart enough to train yourself out of the habit to re-enact stomp the musical in a panic. (probably not but I took artistic license)

But on a serious note, coming from a car you have this instinct that says that your right foot is the thing to use when your in trouble. It's not. The only way to get rid of that habit is to train yourself new ones; swerves, panic brakes, that sort of thing. A gradual application of the front to let the weight transfer to the front so you can brake harder. You've learned how to do them, now make them a habit.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

One thing I've been messing around with lately as part of my braking drills is figuring out just how much pressure it takes to lock up the rear and turn that into muscle memory. It's basically no pressure at all.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I will never do anything to the suspension on my Ninja 250. I do not care enough. Everything else gets done, although the chain's getting a little long in the... tooth.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

One thing I've been messing around with lately as part of my braking drills is figuring out just how much pressure it takes to lock up the rear and turn that into muscle memory. It's basically no pressure at all.

You can vary how quickly it locks up by fooling around with the pedal pushrod but some bikes are just super locky on the rear brake for whatever reason.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KARMA! posted:

But on a serious note, coming from a car you have this instinct that says that your right foot is the thing to use when your in trouble. It's not. The only way to get rid of that habit is to train yourself new ones; swerves, panic brakes, that sort of thing. A gradual application of the front to let the weight transfer to the front so you can brake harder. You've learned how to do them, now make them a habit.

I had the opposite problem, coming from fifteen years of daily bicycle commuting: I forget about the rear brake's existence, and I had to train myself to not pull in both the front brake and the clutch at the same time.

I later switched all my bicycles so that the front brake is on the right, and that seems to have helped.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I have been training myself to use the front brake exclusively as I have had the habit of covering the rear at all times. In the few emergency stops I've had I panic and of course use the rear way harder than I should and lock up the rear tire.

This has been the year of retraining myself on a lot of things as my confidence has just been shot lately.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

KARMA! posted:

Hm, I've noted that some people also stomp their gear shifter before a crash, but that's left foot. I think there where some of that in the last no prisoners.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

You can vary how quickly it locks up by fooling around with the pedal pushrod but some bikes are just super locky on the rear brake for whatever reason.

Yeah, I keep it pretty low because I wear MX boots and can't really feel it that well. It's not like the front brake where you get enough feedback.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

That's some unfortunate wording:

quote:

Lead batteries are crucial to cellphone networks, solar power arrays and the exploding Chinese car market

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Beach Bum posted:

...which is the same way I drive my cars. Bikes are different in a lot of ways and I just wanted to hear what more experienced riders think/do.

I've already got both hand levers rotated as far forward as they can go (brake line blocking on the brake lever, electrical connector blocking on the clutch) and I still feel like I'd be better suited to another ten to fifteen degrees more, but they're decent where they are and miles better from where they were (pretty much parallel to the ground).

Thanks all. Just wanna have fun and be safe.

They don't cover that at the BRC because covering the brakes for many new riders means that when they have a panic reaction and stab at the brakes, it insta-locks and they go down. If their hand is wrapped around the bar, they squeeze the poo poo out of the bar, and then move their hand to the brake and apply it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

For those of you that do trips - is there an iphone app that'll allow you to import a gpx file and then navigate you through it? Most gpx things seem to be for hiking, gmaps is absolutely incapable even if you save the route to your account, greatestroad just has a list of good routes but no nav.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

For those of you that do trips - is there an iphone app that'll allow you to import a gpx file and then navigate you through it? Most gpx things seem to be for hiking, gmaps is absolutely incapable even if you save the route to your account, greatestroad just has a list of good routes but no nav.

Have you tried osmandmaps?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Osmandmaps at least last summer would not keep the backlight on, greatly reducing its usability, maybe they've updated it since then, but I don't know. I wound up using co-rider

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I think my choke cable might be slipping, is that a thing? The first 50% of lever movement does nothing, and from there moving it to the end only gets me briefly to 3krpm before the engine dies. To actually pull off a cold start I have to jam the lever right into its end stop, and if it springs back even a millimetre the engine will sputter and die like it's not pulling enough fuel.

I swear it wasn't always like this.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I don't think I've ever used a choke that operated linearly along the whole travel, they were pretty much as you described.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think my choke cable might be slipping, is that a thing? The first 50% of lever movement does nothing, and from there moving it to the end only gets me briefly to 3krpm before the engine dies. To actually pull off a cold start I have to jam the lever right into its end stop, and if it springs back even a millimetre the engine will sputter and die like it's not pulling enough fuel.

I swear it wasn't always like this.

Mine did something very similar. There is an adjustment mechanism on the end of the cable for mine to take out more slack. Check to see if you have something similar. Mine was on the carbs themselves.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Actually now I think about it the tank breather might be blocked? Would explain the precise way it struggles to start (though not why it only seems to happen at work and not when I'm leaving the house in the morning). I'll try opening the tank cap before starting it tomorrow afternoon and see if that changes its behaviour at all.

I mean it's 15'c outside, it shouldn't need full choke to start.

e/ yeah no, it's got to be that, because even when I pull it all the way out it still struggles to pick up the revs, and when I twist the throttle there's a ton of lag and/or really weak response like it just isn't getting fuel. Still can't think why it's okay at home though. Hrm.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 18, 2016

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I've been delaying selling my klr650 due to some minor oil leakage and the fact that a headlight is out and I can't seem to take the front off to replace it BUT

Today I went to replace the oil plug bolt with a new one (and a new crush washer) and the bolt just spins and spins and doesn't come out :gonk:

Just how screwed am I? I guess I need to drill it out, or something? Hope the case isn't cracked yeah?

Anyone wanna buy a klr that needs a little TLC? :bigtran:

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I bought some LED turn signals and when I sat down to do some soldering I noyiced they came with these terminals at the end of the wire.

What are these? I don't want to just clip them off and solder below them if they're usable. Sorry I know this isn't 100% a motorcycle question.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
They look like bullet connectors. I don't use them myself, just clip them off and use something better.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah they're bullet connectors. hack em off if you want and use something less lovely, or run em.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Thd engine I wanted sold the night before I was going to get it, so now I gotta figure out which one I want. How bad of an idea is buying an engine with unknown mileage? Engine in question I contacted them and they said it came from an insurance write off and the mileage is unknown but it ran fine. It looks good and they have a 100 rating on eBay so I imagine they don't gently caress people over.

Other option from before Called, 59,000 miles on it. I could live with that if they would've accepted my offer of $700, but instead they wanted me to call and work something out and then let the offer expire.

Third option, 59000 miles, video of it running, but the idle is high The idle is at 2600 and the Vstrom 1000 is supposed to be about 1100. I don't know if this is an engine problem or just a poorly adjusted idle or something else.

The first one is tempting because it'll be here in a week and could possibly be low mileage, but could be high. Also the cheapest. Someone help me choose

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Have em do a leakdown on it. pull the oilpan (if it has one) and the valve cover and shoot you, and us pics. If they'd also test oil pressure, awesome, if not, well not the end of the world, lobe wear can be an indirect indicator.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

[quote=]
They look like bullet connectors. I don't use them myself, just clip them off and use something better.

Yeah they're bullet connectors. hack em off if you want and use something less lovely, or run em.
[/quote]

Thanks again lads.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen someone do that nor would I bother. Low mileage engine just get it, check the top end and get a refund if the engine is hosed. Waiting around is the wrong move.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I don't think any of the DL1000 engines on eBay are low mileage. I think they all break 50k. I should've bought that one with 29k..but I waited :downs:

I think I'll order that one with unknown mileage. What do you do when getting a new engine and one with different/unknown mileage? I was told to tell the DMV so they know it's not a stolen engine, anything else?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tranten posted:

I've been delaying selling my klr650 due to some minor oil leakage and the fact that a headlight is out and I can't seem to take the front off to replace it BUT

Today I went to replace the oil plug bolt with a new one (and a new crush washer) and the bolt just spins and spins and doesn't come out :gonk:

Just how screwed am I? I guess I need to drill it out, or something? Hope the case isn't cracked yeah?

Anyone wanna buy a klr that needs a little TLC? :bigtran:

Use a screwdriver or similar to apply levering pressure while undoing and you should be able to get it out. The threads are hosed and will need helicoiling or enlarging to a bigger hole + plug depending on the amount of meat left around the hole.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

I should've bought that one with 29k..but I waited :downs:

The first rule of used bikes/parts is never wait.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phrasing posted:

I bought some LED turn signals and when I sat down to do some soldering I noyiced they came with these terminals at the end of the wire.

What are these? I don't want to just clip them off and solder below them if they're usable. Sorry I know this isn't 100% a motorcycle question.

Looks like other people don't like bullet connectors , but I personally like to keep the wiring harness as OEM as possible. You can buy spares here http://www.cycleterminal.com/bullet-connectors.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Schroeder91 posted:

What do you do when getting a new engine and one with different/unknown mileage? I was told to tell the DMV so they know it's not a stolen engine, anything else?

I don't know what state you're in, but if I tried to tell the DMV I was putting a new engine in my bike they'd probably look at me like I have three heads and ask why I'm telling them this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Looks like other people don't like bullet connectors , but I personally like to keep the wiring harness as OEM as possible. You can buy spares here http://www.cycleterminal.com/bullet-connectors.html

I've not seen bullet connectors on the factory pieces. They have always been on the aftermarket stuff. I usually cut the connector off the stock turn signals and splice those onto the aftermarket signals. That way I don't have to do any modifications to the bike wiring.