Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I dunno if you guys will care about this or not but if you've still got your old armor kicking around you could hang it up to never forget your roots or something.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Mannequin

And they even made one for the ladies too!

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Womannequin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Zereth posted:

This is why I build my housing complexes dead center.

Floating off the ground for protection against zombies and invasions and poo poo.

It was the best flat, open space I found... I don't like "terraforming" a lot, so I try to leave the world as natural as when I found it. Barring covering the Caverns in torches and rope and building a hellevator, of course. I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem, but alas...

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno if you guys will care about this or not but if you've still got your old armor kicking around you could hang it up to never forget your roots or something.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Mannequin

And they even made one for the ladies too!

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Womannequin

These are lots of fun! I have a chest full of old armor sets and I'm sure I have old weapons hanging around. The central hall of my house as item plates and a few mannequins, showing off my old equipment.

Like the top hat + wedding dress combo. loving fabulous!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The cosmetic stuff in this game is amazing and puts a lot of other big budget games to shame. So many different armors, and you can dye each piece on top of that. And some of the rare dyes are amazingly gaudy.

Imagine everything in that image glowing, sparkling, and rapidly changing color.

Also my skybase is finally coming along, maybe I will finish it sometime this year.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cicadalek posted:

The cosmetic stuff in this game is amazing and puts a lot of other big budget games to shame. So many different armors, and you can dye each piece on top of that. And some of the rare dyes are amazingly gaudy.

I second this.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I decided to make a skybridge so I can (a) stop meteors and (b) get to the oceans faster.

Why do I hate myself.

after this I'm going to plan a subway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Solumin posted:

I decided to make a skybridge so I can (a) stop meteors and (b) get to the oceans faster.

Why do I hate myself.

after this I'm going to plan a subway.

Why stop meteors? You can make good stuff out of them and you can trivially protect anything impotant by placing a chest every now and then.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I don't need more of them. Meteor shot isn't that useful and I have more than enough meteor blocks and bars to make any furniture I may want. Plus I don't really like it when the world changes drastically. :kiddo:

Chests are a way better method for handling this though. Thanks!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Reminiscing about my old buildings in terraria from what back when.

My old Murder Manor, complete with a dungeon filled with traps.

Even older, back before hard mode, I made a bunch of giant statues with temples built around them...

Unfortunately the back walls are a little screwed up now, so I can't take new/better screenshots of them right now...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:stare:

Holy poo poo. I thought the manor was amazing, and then you posted the statue temples. God drat.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Miijhal posted:

Reminiscing about my old buildings in terraria from what back when.

My old Murder Manor, complete with a dungeon filled with traps.

Even older, back before hard mode, I made a bunch of giant statues with temples built around them...

Unfortunately the back walls are a little screwed up now, so I can't take new/better screenshots of them right now...

No swimming pools filled with gold coins, 9/10:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I am making progress on my housing project, a couple new NPCs have moved in. The gunsmith dude appears to be macking on the nurse and I don't know if I approve of this fraternization.

The Tinker and Mechanic are adorable and I will not hear otherwise

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Miijhal posted:

A gallery of how much better I am at building than all you scrubs.

Godddddddddddd, ore looked so bad back then.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
CJacobs and other newcomers: My only advice at this point is to up your style a bit. Almost every building material can make a full furniture set with a theme -- palm wood makes beach themed island furnitue, boreal wood makes cozy snow-cabin furniture, and you can even make stuff out of slime, honey, bone, cactus, glass, etc. Each furniture set has tables, chairs, chandeliers, lamps, candles, that sort of thing. Then there's furniture you can grab from Hell or the Pirates. And of course, paintings and banners found all over the world, from floating islands and ruins to the Underworld. Not to mention between the painter, the traveling merchant, and the plethora of materials you have access to, there's all kinds of building blocks and background walls you can get.
Don't be afraid to fancy up your base a bit -- it's especially easy now that smart cursor lets you quickly place/remove bg walls and you have hardmode tools to quickly knock them down.
And definitely don't skimp on dye options. The Dye Trader's rare dyes will change your life. You don't know what luxury is till you're riding across your world on a flaming minecart or a shiny golden hornet.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

RareAcumen posted:

Godddddddddddd, ore looked so bad back then.

Yeaaah, it was not a very good looking game back then...

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Expert mode is really hard and I can't leave spawn without getting shrek'd.

Is there a trick to Expert Mode?

Also did someone already ask if Small or Medium worlds are better?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Turtlicious posted:

Git gud?

Unironic answer: try playing through a normal world and then start a new expert world with all your goodies.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Part of the trick to expert mode is that if you're not experienced enough to already know the answer to that second question, you shouldn't be playing expert mode.

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
I have an old world that I still use for storage of all my stuff because moving it all would be a pain, but I want to get all the NPCs on it. Unfortunately, it predates spider nests, so I can't find a stylist.. Is it possible to artificially create spider nests (either in-game or through a map editor)?

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007
quote != edit

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Since we're talking about base structure, and since I'm reinstalling the game right now!, I was wondering if somebody could give me some pointers on Workshop and Storage layout, and how to relate them to one another. I've always had trouble finding the right balance between too many and not enough chests/categories, and how to place them around my workshop so I have an easy time accessing all the materials I have stored without having to go waaaaaaaaaaaay over there.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

i am tim! posted:

Since we're talking about base structure, and since I'm reinstalling the game right now!, I was wondering if somebody could give me some pointers on Workshop and Storage layout, and how to relate them to one another. I've always had trouble finding the right balance between too many and not enough chests/categories, and how to place them around my workshop so I have an easy time accessing all the materials I have stored without having to go waaaaaaaaaaaay over there.

Early on you can stack everything together pretty easily, but by mid-hardmode my last base had about 32 or more very full chests in my 'main' store room, plus a bunch of others dotted around the place in different areas. The best tip I found was prioritising building materials for your big warehouse-like area that's near your workshop, and smaller caches of chests elsewhere depending on the contents/category. E.G. I had two chests in a fishing shack that held my baits, fishing potions, rods, crates etc. Another in my armour gallery that had all of my obsolete armour, another in my potion workshop/garden that held ingredients and potions and so on. I still had to spring clean fairly often with that setup towards the end and prioritised resources that were still being used (so copper got shunted to the most remote chest in the warehouse, for example).

I broke my base up into multiple buildings and rooms within them, though, so that worked for me. There was the odd bit of running back and forth but it didn't bother me too much. If you're after a super-optimised layout that means you can do everything in the smallest available space then I've got no idea.

EDIT: Also, for aesthetic's sake, mix it up. There are plenty of furniture containers that you can craft other than chests.

Bat Ham fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 19, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

i am tim! posted:

My current setup has a large storeroom with room for lots and lots of chests. I have 2 workshops: One has the furnace, anvil, autohammer, etc. and the other has all the specialty crafting stations like the bone welder and flesh vat.
The furnace workshop has 2 chests, one for normal mode ores and bars (along with things like sand and stone) and the other for hardmode ores/bars. Open a chest -> open the crafting menu -> all the recipes for stuff in the chest shows up.
Any other crafting materials that I don't need often go in the storeroom.

I also have a separate potion/dye crafting room, which is close to my garden. Same deal there, one chest for managing the garden and the other for doing crafting. (e.g. all the fish and things you need for potion crafting.)

Basically, go crazy with chests, don't be afraid to get rid of stuff unless it's super rare, try to treat the workshop as a workshop and not "small storeroom with crafting benches."

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Turtlicious posted:

The universal armor calculation is changed across the board so everything (including you) get more armor so spike damage gets way more important. The shotgun that the arms dealer sells for instance is amazing during normal early hardmode but useless in expert because the damage reduction that's applied to each pellet is a lot higher.

You have to think more in terms of builds with your equipment, you need a good mixture of offensive, defensive, and mobility accessories.

You also need to grind a bit to get the equipment you need for your build. Expert requires a mix of knowledge of the game, experience with playing the game, and willingness to grind and min-max.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The trick to expert mode is that it's only tolerable if you can play it with a friend or two.

Expert mode solo is an exercise in frustration and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody with less than a hundred hours in the game already. Everything hits you like a loving freight train on steroids, and every single boss basically requires a fully kitted out arena and so many buffs that a herb garden is basically mandatory. Expert mode practically demands mastery of the base game and there's really no reason to touch it beforehand unless you're particularly masochistic.

If that sounds like your cup of tea then go right ahead, different strokes for different folks, just because I'm obviously biased doesn't mean someone else can't enjoy it. Personally, besides for bragging rights I think the difficulty of the base game is challenging enough that a single mistake costing me half my health isn't really worth doubled drop rates (2% instead of 1% for anything worth caring about) and the other few goodies you get.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Expert really doesn't get bad til hardmode. Expert hardmode is a huge pain in the rear end. Bonus points for the treasure bags being junk other than eater and wof.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 19, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Expert mode is really fun but there's nothing wrong with not liking it. :shobon:

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

dis astranagant posted:

Expert really doesn't get bad til hardmode. Expert hardmode is a huge pain in the rear end. Bonus points for the treasure bags being junk other than eater and wof.

Hey now, the shield is pretty good. Its just not good for the entire game like those two are.

Also you cant use WoFs thing outside of expert mode which is kinda garbage, but whatever.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

watho posted:

Expert mode is really fun but there's nothing wrong with not liking it. :shobon:

That's fair enough and like I said I can totally understand other people digging it but to me terraria is a game where you play as a dude dropped in a world where things slowly go absolutely batshit insane with world devouring elder gods so expert mode completely baffles me because all I want to do is fail at building houses that don't look like rear end before getting distracted and going spelunking in various biomes and expert mode, probably rightfully if I'm going to be completely honest since starting characters have no place in underground ice or jungle biomes, hands me my rear end on a silver platter for doing so.

What really turns me off about expert mode is that my experience with the game feels required instead of rewarded. Like in most games a good hard mode makes you feel like you earned your success because you're either skillful enough or know how to game the system in your favor, in terraria it just feels like every single possible thing that's possible for you to do to swing things in your favor is just required for you to not get wrecked. Like, normally some combination of flight/an arena/buffs makes things less painful and I'd say at least one of the three is basically required, but expert mode made me feel like not having a single one of those things made fights just as hard as if I had none of them in normal mode.

I dunno, it's late and I'm just rambling at this point. Like I said, I can get why other people might like the extra challenge but as a dude who likes making lovely houses and spelunking expert mode is practically unplayable for me.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Turtlicious posted:

Don't.

Expert mode is mostly bullshit difficulty by turning everything (except the player characters of course) into bullet sponges that take forever to kill. That some monsters have different behavior and some bosses have exclusive loot drops is just a way to entice people to play a game made more tedious, grindy and annoying than normal.

I hold firmly to the opinion that any difficulty that is at least partly based on "enemies have more health" is bullshit. It doesn't make gameplay more exciting to have to whack a mook eight times instead of four.

Bob Locke posted:

I have an old world that I still use for storage of all my stuff because moving it all would be a pain, but I want to get all the NPCs on it. Unfortunately, it predates spider nests, so I can't find a stylist.. Is it possible to artificially create spider nests (either in-game or through a map editor)?

Map editor yes, in-game no. Spider nests are defined by their special background walls, which cannot be harvested and cannot be placed, so map editing is the only way to create a new one. (It's possible to destroy a spider nest forever in-game, but not to create an artificial one.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The hard mode blood moon is not so bad compared to the pirate invasion! I picked up a mechanical eye from an eye monster and it says it "Summons the twins" so I'm assuming that's the next boss.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The hard mode blood moon is not so bad compared to the pirate invasion! I picked up a mechanical eye from an eye monster and it says it "Summons the twins" so I'm assuming that's the next boss.

The twins are the hard mode equivalent to the eye of cthulu and they're one of the 3 mechanical bosses you have to kill to unlock plantera in the jungle.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Oooooooh, when you summon the twins be sure to do before, during and after posts to keep us updated!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cat Mattress posted:

Don't.

Expert mode is mostly bullshit difficulty by turning everything (except the player characters of course) into bullet sponges that take forever to kill. That some monsters have different behavior and some bosses have exclusive loot drops is just a way to entice people to play a game made more tedious, grindy and annoying than normal.

I hold firmly to the opinion that any difficulty that is at least partly based on "enemies have more health" is bullshit. It doesn't make gameplay more exciting to have to whack a mook eight times instead of four.

Map editor yes, in-game no. Spider nests are defined by their special background walls, which cannot be harvested and cannot be placed, so map editing is the only way to create a new one. (It's possible to destroy a spider nest forever in-game, but not to create an artificial one.)

Counterpoint: Expert mode is fun and owns.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

House Jacobs update: I had to build an emergency guest house because some new people showed up! I found myself in hell and encountered Gehrman from Bloodborne, and I couldn't figure out what to do to get him to be friendly so I looked it up (:sweatdrop:). Then I found Hunter S Thompson going for a nice relaxing fish right next to the jungle that is now swarming with spiders. Also, a pirate moved in!

The renovations are going fairly nicely, I'm trying to give each person a room that fits them. Doing all the chairs/tables last because I don't want them to suddenly move out of their own houses before I'm done fixing them up.

edit: Also you might notice that I braved Spiderville to save the stylist, because I was getting tired of looking at my character's Goku hair. I tunneled straight down in from the surface and that turned out to be a bad idea because now they can leave and come up above ground. :suicide:

King Doom posted:

Oooooooh, when you summon the twins be sure to do before, during and after posts to keep us updated!

Will do, I'm assuming I am going to get owned hard.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 19, 2016

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I should get back into this game, but I'm not sure if my friends will stick around given how much of a time sink it is. It's hard to tell exactly who will like Terraria, because it's really hit or miss with some people.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also you might notice that I braved Spiderville to save the stylist, because I was getting tired of looking at my character's Goku hair. I tunneled straight down in from the surface and that turned out to be a bad idea because now they can leave and come up above ground. :suicide:

Just plug the hole.

Also if you want to, you can destroy the spider nest forever by hammering away its background walls. No background spidercave wall, no spider spawns.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Although beating enough spiders can get you the materials for a couple of good summoner weapons. Even if you're not doing a dedicated summoner, having a turret and/or a little poisonous friend on hand can be handy.

Plus once they're aboveground they actually get easier, since they can't climb on the walls.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Rather lucky you didn't get the Crimson then. They get spider-like mobs there. Except they're giant, bloated, hungry ticks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pretty much finished decorating for now. I am about to go somewhere safe and summon the twins! God help me I guess.

edit: Oh I can only do it at night. Well then I guess I'll wait.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

CJacobs posted:

edit: Oh I can only do it at night. Well then I guess I'll wait.

I'm waiting in anticipation for the inevitable "This is going to be a terrible night" message pop up right as you use the Mechanical Eye.