Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

I also think The Gutter's good and Blighttown is even better. The latter is a challenge even with the Rusted Ring but not too brutal once you git gud. Upper Blighttown has those gruesome mutant dogmen which are pretty fun to kill and the water wheel downtown was pretty unique to the series.

Does anyone know if the Grass Crest Shield's stamina regen is affected by a Simple infusion?

Grass crest in DS3 uses Twinkling Titanite, so no infusions sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So after a fair bit of testing I've found that the hollowslayer greatsword does not in fact gain its +50% damage vs hollows bonus against hollow players. So there goes that supposed downside to hollowing. Is there literally any gameplay downside to going hollow aside from your character looking like a wrinkled prune?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fire Barrel posted:

nuts

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Fire Barrel posted:

It's also a medium shield and you can't infuse any shields other than small ones, I thought?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

flowinprose posted:

It's also a medium shield and you can't infuse any shields other than small ones, I thought?

I believe you can infuse any shield* that doesn't take twinkling or dragon scale.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 19, 2016

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

flowinprose posted:

I've infused the sunset shield and that's a medium one I think.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

flowinprose posted:

You can infuse any basic titanite item apart from a few that have special effects on them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dazzling Addar posted:

that bunnyhop guy made some nice points but then he said that the old hunters was only mediocre in another video and i cried irl

He did call Bloodborne his favorite game of the generation in this video so he's not all bad :unsmith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I find it kind of odd that he's apparently only now realizing how self-indulgent From is when it comes to rehashing stuff from their old games. I don't even think its a lack of creativity on their part, because they can show incredible amounts of it elsewhere. They just really, really, really like throwing in references and callbacks to their other games both in the aesthetics and gameplay. It can get pretty silly at times.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I went BB>DS3>DS2 and I don't feel like I had some sort of lovely game experience because I wasn't on intimate terms with all the corpses littering the the world. Before I bought DS3 I just googled "Dark Souls 1 plot" and read some one page summary, and from that alone I basically knew what was going on. Obviously a lot of the references weren't some mind blowing thing, but I don't think I lost out on a huge experience by not going "Oh man these giant archers murdered me in a different game 7 years ago!". In fact, even not really knowing the universe I felt the game was really immersive and interesting, a lot more than DS2 which by most account seems to be far less "connected" to DS1 than DS3 is.

On a similar subject, basically anyone who bitches about "too many callbacks" is a moron. Only with a fanbase as spergy as this do you get people upset that a franchise game is "referencing" itself. Of course it is, it's a series. I understand the the Soulsborne universe is fairly unique that time isn't linear, but people saying DS3 is pandering to DS1 fans with its references is just idiotic. It's like people being pissed that Skyrim had a lot of references to people and events in Oblivion/Morrowind.

Like I said before, I wasn't talking about plot (DS1 barely has one) but about gameplay and narrative moments familiar to Souls players.

When it comes to narrative, I do think you missed out because you didn't recognize the significance of seeing silver knights in Irithyl, especially the archers. Stumbling into the entrance to Gwyn's tomb is supposed to be a big moment. Irithyl's gated entrance is a reference to a snowy world in DS1, a similarity that has generated much speculation. And of course, there's Gwyn's piano theme in the Soul of Cinder fight. DS3 is a direct sequel far more than DS2 was, and while it's playable on its own, it was clearly designed for veterans of the series to recognize these references for context, which is a part of the experience you miss out on.

As for gameplay callbacks, I've beaten the Poison Level in four prior games, so I know I can just heal through it. I've gone through a catacomb full of reanimating skeletons that are vulnerable to divine weapons. Even specific rooms, like Stonefang's explosive barrel trap room. When I saw how little damage I was doing to Yhorm, I thought he was Tower Knight until I found the sword and realized he was Storm King. This recycling tends to remove any sense of surprise or danger and contribute to a feeling of sameness. If you haven't played DS1 or DeS, it makes sense that you wouldn't have a problem with it because you don't recognize it.

Toady fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 19, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
So do you only have one chance to fight Creighton in your world? He invaded me behind the Church bonfire, I died, and now he won't show up again.

I am embered

e; I've tried quitting and reloading, going to another area, and even dying

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Internet Kraken posted:

I find it kind of odd that he's apparently only now realizing how self-indulgent From is when it comes to rehashing stuff from their old games. I don't even think its a lack of creativity on their part, because they can show incredible amounts of it elsewhere. They just really, really, really like throwing in references and callbacks to their other games both in the aesthetics and gameplay. It can get pretty silly at times.

I dunno. It's like, between 4 King's Field games, I think 3 King's Field spinoffs (at least), and 5 Souls games, that's 12 fantasy dungeoncrawler adventures they've made. Outside of Bloodborne, I don't think they've ever not had an area that slowly poisons you just for being in it that also is full of good treasure. The callbacks and retreads give me the impression that they (creatively) have a toolbox that they sort of reach into when they need to make something new, and they like to recombine ideas a lot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they really like callbacks tho for real. see the moonlight greatsword

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The the souls games reference the kings ones?

Also how the hell do you nerds always recognize theme music so freaking easily there's like 100 drat bosses between the 4 souls games

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Its subjective but I thought it got too oppressive in dark souls 3. There's sort of abstract things like having a slouchy depressed guy at the start of the game, and then there's having a guy in full catarina armor show up and repeat basically exactly the same lines as his analogue from dark souls 1. It got incredibly heavy-handed around anor londo, and none of that even made sense to me because the game is apparently an entirely different age after dark souls 2, which itself was an entirely different age from dark souls 1, just in roughly the same location. When there was stuff that's flat out identical to dark souls 1 (andre, anor londo, the giant blacksmith, etc) it stopped making any sense, and felt like shoehorned references more than series continuity.

People had a similar complaint with the sunlight altar and praise the sun gesture in dark souls 2, but 3 takes that kind of thing to an entirely new level.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

mastershakeman posted:

Also how the hell do you nerds always recognize theme music so freaking easily there's like 100 drat bosses between the 4 souls games

Seathe and the Moonlight Greatsword are both from the King's Field games. I think the snakemen from Sen's Fortress are as well?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The most shoehorned reference is the demons that show up just to take you across the highwall.

Cephas posted:

I dunno. It's like, between 4 King's Field games, I think 3 King's Field spinoffs (at least), and 5 Souls games, that's 12 fantasy dungeoncrawler adventures they've made. Outside of Bloodborne, I don't think they've ever not had an area that slowly poisons you just for being in it that also is full of good treasure. The callbacks and retreads give me the impression that they (creatively) have a toolbox that they sort of reach into when they need to make something new, and they like to recombine ideas a lot.

Bloodborne had a poison area too. It was just a small one. More of a poison puddle.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 19, 2016

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The gutter?

More like the shitter.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

As often mentioned Seath and the Sword of Moonlight are pulled directly from King's Field, the ("male") Man-serpents in Sen's are the Widda from King's Field 4, Mytha is the Widda queen from that same game, the Crescent Axe is from King's Field as well, rear end in a top hat poison levels with slimes are also a well-established King's Field thing, and other things I'm assuredly forgetting.

quote:

It's pretty memorable music.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Digirat posted:

Its subjective but I thought it got too oppressive in dark souls 3. There's sort of abstract things like having a slouchy depressed guy at the start of the game, and then there's having a guy in full catarina armor show up and repeat basically exactly the same lines as his analogue from dark souls 1. It got incredibly heavy-handed around anor londo, and none of that even made sense to me because the game is apparently an entirely different age after dark souls 2, which itself was an entirely different age from dark souls 1, just in roughly the same location. When there was stuff that's flat out identical to dark souls 1 (andre, anor londo, the giant blacksmith, etc) it stopped making any sense, and felt like shoehorned references more than series continuity.

People had a similar complaint with the sunlight altar and praise the sun gesture in dark souls 2, but 3 takes that kind of thing to an entirely new level.

I just figured 3 slotted in the timeline somewhere between 1 and 2. It's not like the endings to any of these games fix anything.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Trick Question posted:

I just figured 3 slotted in the timeline somewhere between 1 and 2. It's not like the endings to any of these games fix anything.

I don't think it comes between 1 and 2 because there are a few references to 2 like the drang armor (drangleic, and it's the llewellyn set) and the tree in firelink that gives you the seed of a tree of giants.

Now that I think about it creighton is also very random. Why does he show up.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I'm ready for a new Armored Core game filled with Souls references to accompany all the King's Field references.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Gwyn's theme stands out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB6sOhQan9Y

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Trick Question posted:

This takes place explicitly after 2, what with all of the mentions of things from Dark Souls II (e.g. Drangleic scattering and the soldiers becoming feared sellswords, all the mentions to the "King of Want" (Vendrick), Lucatiel, etc.)

Part of the weirdness is having the different directors. Regardless of what you think of the individual quality, having different directors/dev teams will result in different tones for the games. Dark Souls II is overall more subtle, barely mentioning anything specifically from Dark Souls and being more about recurring themes. Dark Souls III by comparison is a lot more direct, which is why you then literally progress through (part of) Anor Londo again.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

2 isn't canon, duh

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Genocyber posted:

This takes place explicitly after 2, what with all of the mentions of things from Dark Souls II (e.g. Drangleic scattering and the soldiers becoming feared sellswords, all the mentions to the "King of Want" (Vendrick), Lucatiel, etc.)

Part of the weirdness is having the different directors. Regardless of what you think of the individual quality, having different directors/dev teams will result in different tones for the games. Dark Souls II is overall more subtle, barely mentioning anything specifically from Dark Souls and being more about recurring themes. Dark Souls III by comparison is a lot more direct, which is why you then literally progress through (part of) Anor Londo again.

Well, there goes that theory. I guess all of the people of Dark Souls 2 were just bad at remembering things, whereas most people in Dark Souls 3 have a working knowledge of history. That's the only way I can explain how they know what Astora is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The flow is time is convoluted and blah blah kingdoms from the past are literally rising again as time comes to an end or something.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I honestly forget this game even has music in boss fights half the time because i have the volume low and am too focused on the boss fights to stop and listen, if they arent just inaduable over the sound of every attack between me and the boss.

Really its the boss fights with cutscenes that i really notice the music in, most notably Orenstein&Smough in DS1 and Ludwig in Bloodborne's dlc as the ones I can actually identify and like.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Time is a flat circle, if you want a vision of the future imagine a fat naked idiot punching demons to death forever.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Internet Kraken posted:

The flow is time is convoluted and blah blah kingdoms from the past are literally rising again as time comes to an end or something.

except unironically

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

It makes sense to have more 'historical' world information available in DS3 since undead across the ages are waking up as unkindled and whereas drangleic/ds2 was isolated with only contemporary undead as well.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Digirat posted:

It's just such a strange complaint to me that a series references itself. Like I guess DS2 kind of set the tone by doing its own thing, but DS3 is very explicitly 'this is the continuation and ending of the world, and of the series' and there's nothing wrong with that?

Like with Anor Londo- it's not just 'hey! look! you remember this, right?' but it's Anor Londo in ruins, dark and taken over by a slime monster, and the giant is dead. Or stuff like all the demon bodies- that's a callback, but also we're seeing the effects of slaying the Bed of Chaos has had (or are we???), as all the demons are burning out and turning to stone. Even Siegward- he's a very direct callback to Siegmeyer, but when you compare their quests and motivations, they are very different. Siegmeyer wants to adventure, but gets stuck, but by helping him out the player takes away his agency and he hollows. So when the player encounters Siegmund in the same kind of situations, they're going to be wary of helping him out of that fear. However Siegmund, by contrast, has a very specific goal (kill Yhorm) and the player helping him does not cause him to lose heart, but instead gives him strength. So, an inversion.

There are a few things, like Andre, Creighton, the Mirrah set, etc. that are, as far as I can tell, just callbacks for the sake of having them, but really, who cares? Like is anyone really that upset that there's a bunch more sweet looking classic sets of armour, or weapons?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The first person mod is really cool so make a family share account and try it out if you have pc version. You do have to put up with your body being reduced to a couple of hands OR your body clipping into the screen when you roll though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4jiqpd/friend_of_mine_just_created_a_fully_working_1st/

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea there are a few pillars withat stuff. that's also in the wharf, actually

Those are the pillars with modern garbage like hubcaps and oil cans in the texture, right?

Deep Lore.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trick Question posted:

Time is a flat circle, if you want a vision of the future imagine a fat naked idiot punching demons to death forever.

Imagine four fatrollers on the edge of a cliff

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What's the consensus on the pyromancy change? I liked that in DS1 it was totally dependent on the flame and now I have to rethink the ninja build I was going to make when I finally pick up DS3. I've been trying to make that build every Souls game and never had the patience to be so weak in the early game.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Shumagorath posted:

What's the consensus on the pyromancy change? I liked that in DS1 it was totally dependent on the flame and now I have to rethink the ninja build I was going to make when I finally pick up DS3. I've been trying to make that build every Souls game and never had the patience to be so weak in the early game.

I was a little disappointed that I couldn't just throw souls into the flame to make me a better arsonist but overall I found early game pyromancy way stronger than early game sorcery, but I'm not exactly sure what change you're talking about.

re: callback chat - I never had an issue with any of it. I liked the big dead piles of demons in Izalith and loved Siegward's entrance. I groaned when introduced to the silver knight archers on that stupid ramp. Overally I really enjoyed 3, and maybe I'll go back to the SOTFS I bought for the ps4 even though it should be subtitled "unnecessary pain in the rear end GIT GUD SCRUB edition."

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

It's just such a strange complaint to me that a series references itself. Like I guess DS2 kind of set the tone by doing its own thing, but DS3 is very explicitly 'this is the continuation and ending of the world, and of the series' and there's nothing wrong with that?

The complaint isn't sequels basing themselves on prior games but an overabundance of fan service or recycled content.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Pyromancy is incredibly strong if you invest in Int/Fth. If you don't invest it does okay damage versus most things and is still very good against things weak to fire. Plus there are a bunch of useful utility pyromancies as well.

I'd recommend starting as a pyromancer and choosing the fire gem burial gift. You can get an early Uchigatana that you can infuse with fire (doesn't scale with anything like DS1 elemental infusions) and thus focus on Int/Fth early on for powerful pyro, then later on you can choose to respec to go more dex-ey if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Toady posted:

This recycling tends to remove any sense of surprise or danger and contribute to a feeling of sameness. If you haven't played DS1 or DeS, it makes sense that you wouldn't have a problem with it because you don't recognize it.

Haha, okay but your point in the original post was "People who didn't play DS1 are missing out because the game features lots of references that evoke emotional responses" but in this post you're saying "People who didn't play DS1 have an advantage because as a veteran player I'm wise to these tricks FROM uses".