Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gaz-L posted:

The Squirrel Girl OGN and YA novel that Marvel are pushing forward with would certainly imply that book does significant numbers digitally or in trade. I doubt they'd put resources into that kind of thing if the title was a lame duck.

I believe Axel Alonso has said that Squirrel Girl's sales in trade are what keep the floppies going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So I was doing fine with Civil War II 0 -- great, even -- until I got to that ending and it's the same Geldoffy Geldoffness that Bendis has done maybe six or seven times before at this point.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's just silly that that's the cliffhanger when we've heard over and over what this kid's deal is. Blame the promo department, I guess.
It was okay. Alllll set-up, so who knows.

What was the FCBD issue about? Was it a flash forward into the story?

e: I haven't finished Pleasant Hill, but did Hill's thoughts on villain rehabilitation seem to flow on from that? She just went through her own supervillain treatment system failing spectacularly, right?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 19, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp here we go, Civil War 2: War Harder

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Re: today's issue of Wolverine, what the hell is "twenty-five with chicken"? I have never encountered such a noodle dish.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I haven't seen the comic, but if you mean the name, Chinese restaurant menus sometimes assign everything a number for ease of ordering.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wanderer posted:

Re: today's issue of Wolverine, what the hell is "twenty-five with chicken"? I have never encountered such a noodle dish.

It's a common practice for menus to have items numbered. Especially if it's a hole in the wall noodle joint with 900 menu items that people can't pronounce.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Since Maria also knew the "all the flavor of twenty-five" line, I wondered if it might be some New York foodie joke I wasn't privy to.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So far, yeah, I'm digging CWII.

There a thread for it yet?

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: I haven't finished Pleasant Hill, but did Hill's thoughts on villain rehabilitation seem to flow on from that? She just went through her own supervillain treatment system fail spectacularly, right?

Standoff basically ends with Hill being threatened with expulsion from director for her (admittedly super horrendous) actions, both Captains America saying how awful she is (and Sam on the border of blowing the lid off the whole thing being that he's the Political One before Steve reveals that he's the one quietly trying to get her fired and put on trial). There's also the reveal that she was so personally invested in Pleasant Hill that she was on the verge of having her mind wiped and inserted into the town itself, out of a sense of guilt over her actions.

But, yeah, she really believed in Pleasant Hill. Some people argue that she's a monster or whatever but I think it's a lot more complicated than that, and it's a good intro to CWII - she took really awful, really drastic action but truly believed in what she was doing to the point that she was about to participate within it. It's monstrous, but on the other hand it's a fair sight better than what the supervillains themselves were doing. It's a disturbing situation from top to bottom, realistically.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 19, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

What was the FCBD issue about? Was it a flash forward into the story?

They set a trap for Thanos at the lab where they have the cosmic cube stuff, using Ulysses to know when he's coming. Big fight, they win but She-Hulk and Rhodey are critically injured.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

So far, yeah, I'm digging CWII.

There a thread for it yet?

I think it's making tie-in's of so many books, it might as well stay here.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 19, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked the President saying "Someday Tony Stark is just going to buy the presidency...but I want you Rhodey to get there first".

Stark 2020 : I'll build a wall around earth and make Thanos pay for it.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Stark 2020 : I'll build a wall around earth and make Thanos pay for it.

To be fair, Spartax already tried paying for a wall around Earth, so at least that claim has some precedent.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
International Iron Man #1 was pretty boring. Does it get better?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just caught up on the A-Force SW mini and the ongoing. It's quickly turning into one of my favorite teamup books. Are the sales for it good enough to keep it safe? Because, yeah, I'm really digging how it's very directly a sequel to its mini and I'm glad somebody is utilizing the Thor Corps in some way post-Secret Wars. Since the Thor Corps were awesome. But yeah, really dig A-Force - awesome characters, awesome interactions, really fun teamup book.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Its sales are in the safe zone. It doesn't do gang busters but it's above other titles that are in no danger of being canceled. And if historic trends are any guide, it probably does better than average in digital sales.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Finster Dexter posted:

International Iron Man #1 was pretty boring. Does it get better?

It's ok but only if you like flashbacks to Tony's teen years and corporate espionage.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I really like A-Force but I still don't feel like the team has really gelled and I'm not sure where it fits into continuity. I know trying to figure out the latter is a fool's errand but it makes it jarring when in like the most recent Ultimates (I think? Maybe it was Captain Marvel?) Carol gets a call from Medusa and acts totally surprised. The team itself feels arbitrary -- Singularity collects all the important people she knew during Secret Wars but the only reason those people were together there was because of authorial fiat so it still feels a little weird. The book itself is great, though. The longer it goes the less important it is why they're together in the first place.

I'm still waiting on an explanation for what Singularity actually is though. I remain convinced she's Kitty Pryde's weird cosmic space baby until they explain what happened to her Black Vortex crud. Speaking of, anyone reading Star Lord? It started as a flashback retelling of his origin story that I only picked up the first issue of, but recently they've gotten back to the main timeline and have been dancing around why Kitty and Peter broke up. I didn't even realize they HAD until it was mentioned in an interview a while back. It's trying really hard to be cartoonish and whimsical but that stuff is just being done so much better in Mockingbird and Hellcat and SG that it's tough to measure up and ends up being sort of offputting.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 19, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's ok but only if you like flashbacks to Tony's teen years and corporate espionage.

Yeah, I really don't. It gives me flashbacks of the uncanny valley young Robert Downey jr. at the beginning of the Civil War movie.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I dropped Stafford when I couldn't tell if it was in continuity or not by the second issue.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was really excited about A-Force, both the Secret Wars mini and the actual series, and ended up dropping it because I just wasn't digging it at all.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

And based on the recently released solicitations Nova will STILL be looking for his dad after the next few issues of ANAD Avengers is supposed to tackle that issue for him.
I swear if I wasn't so fond of the very brief moments of "father"/son super heroing moments I'd have dropped this book long ago for it's abysmal pacing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

X-O posted:

I was really excited about A-Force, both the Secret Wars mini and the actual series, and ended up dropping it because I just wasn't digging it at all.

The more recent issue was much better than the first couple. Assembling the team took an issue too long and they probably should have dropped one of the girls. Last one introduced "Dazzler Thor(DazzlOR?)" which is a much more interesting use of Dazzler than her 616 version has been.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
They could stand to drop Captain Marvel. As much as I love Carol she's got a lot to do in the two other books she's in and it's mostly in space so she's the one who really sticks out as it being weird that she's there. Plus She-Hulk can handle the leader role just as well.

Medusa is the same in terms of "why is she here" but she adds a sort of almost-villain foil to the team that is useful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

They could stand to drop Captain Marvel. As much as I love Carol she's got a lot to do in the two other books she's in and it's mostly in space so she's the one who really sticks out as it being weird that she's there. Plus She-Hulk can handle the leader role just as well.

Medusa is the same in terms of "why is she here" but she adds a sort of almost-villain foil to the team that is useful.

It's a bit odd given that Carol's on two teams and isn't leading either (as noted, She-Hulk's the A-Force leader and Blue Marvel and Black Panther kind of jockey for that role in the Ultimates), despite being the character Marvel push as their flagship female hero.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wilson said that Carol was only going to be in A-force on a guest starring role, not in every issue, but it seems like that's not happening. I'd say drop Carol for a bit and put in Jess or Storm or Rogue or some other top tier lady hero for a bit.

I do like how the book exists because Wilson said she wanted to see characters that don't hang out often to come together. Captain Marvel never would hang out with Dazzler or Nico otherwise, so she put them together.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Id like it to be an excuse to bring back Blink. Or Lucy in the Sky.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Oh man, I miss Karolina so much. Molly, too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JoshTheStampede posted:

Id like it to be an excuse to bring back Blink. Or Lucy in the Sky.

They can't use Blink! She's integral to the Exiles! There'll be a reboot any second now, you'll see!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing as the end of Secret Wars involved creating a new multiverse it would make sense to do a new Exiles now.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I would love to see new Exiles! That's easily one of my favorite Marvel books of all time.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's Longshot up to these days? Throw him on Exiles.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Yvonmukluk posted:

They can't use Blink! She's integral to the Exiles! There'll be a reboot any second now, you'll see!

Yeah, I'd love this. I'm gonna send my full run of Exiles off to be bound, it's probably my favorite Marvel concept.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

What's Longshot up to these days? Throw him on Exiles.

Last I remember seeing him they were firmly establishing a time loop where he's his own grandad and shatterstar is his son and father and also clone.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

I would love to see new Exiles! That's easily one of my favorite Marvel books of all time.

I was re-reading recently, and at one point Exiles had a plot about two multiverses colliding, with Earth as the focal point.

Oh, Hickman. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aside from my long-established antipathy for books that I think are Doing Spider-Girl Wrong, the fact that it stands in the way of an Exiles revival is why I hate Web Warriors.

Man, I wish Jeff Parker had gotten more than 6 issues on that relaunch. Thanks for ruining the brand, Chris Claremont.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was really hoping Exiles Blink would show up in Battleworld with a broken Tallus on her wrist because it would have been a perfect opportunity to bring her back but nope. :sigh:

She's in the background somewhere in the first post-SW X-men 92 issue but so are a bunch of other people. That's about the best we're getting for a while, I suspect.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
I just have a quick question: Where is Thor? As in, the Odinson one? Do we know where he is? I haven't seen him in anything since the relaunch (or I guess since he was defeated by the Beyonders). Has he been seen since then?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Caper posted:

I just have a quick question: Where is Thor? As in, the Odinson one? Do we know where he is? I haven't seen him in anything since the relaunch (or I guess since he was defeated by the Beyonders). Has he been seen since then?
Someone mentioned not too far up that he was in the most recent issues of Mighty Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

Someone mentioned not too far up that he was in the most recent issues of Mighty Thor.

Mostly in a flashback where he fights a Hulk in Viking times

• Locked thread