Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The Kins posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Whack the texture PNGs into a WAD between TX_START/TX_END lumps, or into a PK3 in a "textures" folder, and you can load them as a resource in GZDoom Builder.

Now, do you mean all of them or just the ones under T_START? Because I'm probably gonna just converge all the PNGs into one TX_START/TX_END thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

widespread posted:

Now, do you mean all of them or just the ones under T_START? Because I'm probably gonna just converge all the PNGs into one TX_START/TX_END thing.
All the T_START ones, yes. The others are sprites and menu etc. graphics. Some of those might work as-is, others might need DECORATE work.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The Kins posted:

All the T_START ones, yes. The others are sprites and menu etc. graphics. Some of those might work as-is, others might need DECORATE work.

I'm just gonna assume it's better to just convert the textures and not worry about finding with sprites need DECORATE.

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Speaking of Doom multiplayer (specifically deathmatch), I've played some impressive maps with excellent modern functionality (taking into account the ability to jump and such).

Well, I've managed to drum up enough interest in hosting some Doom deathmatch nights at work (4-6 players). Can anyone point me in the right direction to setup a local server, with some nice modern map-packs but not with too many gimmicks (such as non-stock weapons, silly sounds, wacky graphics or game modes etc)? Basically I'm after a vanilla-ish Doom with a few bells and whistles and nice maps for a modest amount of players.

I'm guessing I can do this with Zandronum, and run it local only. But the dearth of multiplayer content is bewildering and I don't know where to start. I want to make this a good experience so interest is held straight off the bat. Might move onto slaughter co-op maps later on if it's a success.

My only real hardcore foray into the world of doom multiplayer was a decade or so ago with ZDaemon, I've only dipped my toe into Zandronum a few times and my knowledge of multiplayer map sets is non existent.

Cheers!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Casimir Radon posted:

They should seriously sell the little Doomguy toys.

If only.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has anyone ever made a wad that remakes the Doom 1 levels in Doom 2, with the SSG and new monsters? I imagine it's probably easier than a pwad that adds them to D1 directly.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I got DOOM running at a reasonable speed on my potato PC!

hmm... can I tolerate this?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Lemon-Lime posted:

Has anyone ever made a wad that remakes the Doom 1 levels in Doom 2, with the SSG and new monsters? I imagine it's probably easier than a pwad that adds them to D1 directly.

Yeah, Midway back on the PSX/Saturn.

There's also the option of the PSX wad on the PC version.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Mr. Flunchy posted:

just pretend you're playing doom 3 or something :kiddo:

fake edit: wait you're running it in 640x480, lmbo

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm surprised by how well it runs period. It hung on the intro a couple times but has been completely stable otherwise.

The story bits aren't half bad actually. I like the Cyberdemon being an educational piece that someone got completely carried away on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

That's not running at 640x480, it's being upscaled to it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

Just going to silently pretend that it's 2002. Might bust out a CRT to play it on.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon-Lime posted:

As mentioned, the Playstation port (and the PSX Doom TC which ports it all back to GZDoom) scatter Doom 2 elements into the Doom 1 levels on Ultra Violence.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The main problem is that I mostly want to be able to play through Doom 1 levels with TCs that replace the SSG with something different from their shotgun replacement (and I like Hell knights/arachnotrons/revenants).

Good excuse to force myself to learn Doom modding and make my own pwad, I guess. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's a thin line between dedication and madness.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
You'd probably get more enjoyment from just playing project brutality or just watching a stream of Doom4 at this point :v:

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Speaking of, project brutality should be getting an update some time soonish. I don't know an exact date, but the mod author has stated that he's shooting for around Doom's release date.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
With Doom 2016 out and everybody enjoying it, I'm looking forward to the inevitable WAD Doom 2016 conversions for Doom I/II. We've had a few rudimentary 2016 weapons mods, but I'm sure somebody out there is working on getting all the little things in there.

I'm aware that Brutal Doom has executions but it's not quite the same thing.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I was really surprised when I installed Q3A the other day out of boredom and saw that there are still a poo poo load of live CPMA servers and some of them even had players on them. I was even more surprised when I joined one and beat some dude in a 1v1 after having not played Q3 in 11 or 12 years..actually it was probably more like 13 years

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Strife: Veteran Edition is now on GOG with support for their Steam clone's achievements and multiplayer API, and a 50% launch discount.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

With Doom 2016 out and everybody enjoying it, I'm looking forward to the inevitable WAD Doom 2016 conversions for Doom I/II. We've had a few rudimentary 2016 weapons mods, but I'm sure somebody out there is working on getting all the little things in there.

They're way too long to start with

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Strife: Veteran Edition is now on GOG with support for their Steam clone's achievements and multiplayer API, and a 50% launch discount.

Huh, it finally arrived.

Now, GOG, get cracking on Heretic and Hexen!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

thebushcommander posted:

I was really surprised when I installed Q3A the other day out of boredom and saw that there are still a poo poo load of live CPMA servers and some of them even had players on them. I was even more surprised when I joined one and beat some dude in a 1v1 after having not played Q3 in 11 or 12 years..actually it was probably more like 13 years

I really want to play 1v1 Instagib on Q3DM17, but there don't seem to be any servers for that anymore. At least last time I checked. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can get the SSG in Doom 1 if you just load Doom2.WAD like a pwad, it works. Although it'll gently caress up your skyboxes and the SSG is super overpowered in Doom 1.

There's I believe a map that puts every level of Doom 2 into the same level, I feel like there was one for doom 1 too but now I can't remember.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

NGage Doom looking good

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart
So after being skeptical for a long time, I finally tried Doom 1+2 with pistol starts on UV and loved it - creates a really cool sense of urgency and saves me from my ammo-hoarding self. Looking to try out some other favorite games this way - anyone know if pistol start is feasible in Doom 64? Or perhaps Quake 1 shotgun start?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Mogomra posted:

I really want to play 1v1 Instagib on Q3DM17, but there don't seem to be any servers for that anymore. At least last time I checked. :(

Qtracker shows a few instagib servers are active at the moment. Can probably mapvote to Dm17. The game feels much different mouse wise, it's like it felt better when mouse laser tech was in it's infancy. Having this new logitech G602 makes it feel weird. Like no matter what I set the sensitivity to it's either too slow or too fast and when it's slow I get weird mouse acceleration when turning even though I turned it off in game. Of course the mouses dpi scaling plays a factor, but there just doesn't seem to be a happy medium in there. I plugged in my old Logitech G400 and it was almost instantly much better all around.

Kind of off topic, but does anyone play Reflex? I didn't know it was a thing until 2 days ago and it looks like something I would enjoy as someone that played too much cpma back in the day.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

A Doom 2016 demake would be wonderful. Can't imagine how the levels would work without such verticality though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I wouldn't see that as a real obstacle, unless you want your demake to run in vanilla/Boom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anZwm9wA0dc

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

reinardus vulpes posted:

So after being skeptical for a long time, I finally tried Doom 1+2 with pistol starts on UV and loved it - creates a really cool sense of urgency and saves me from my ammo-hoarding self. Looking to try out some other favorite games this way - anyone know if pistol start is feasible in Doom 64? Or perhaps Quake 1 shotgun start?

Doom 64 pistol start is going to be about the same as Doom 2. Quake shotgun start might be a bit more challenging as Quake doesn't tend to have a weapon somewhere near the start of each map and few enemies are going to be reasonably killable with the shotgun until you find it unless you're in the EXM1 maps. I haven't tried it before, though, so give it a shot anyway!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

A Doom 2016 demake would be wonderful. Can't imagine how the levels would work without such verticality though.

It might work better as a demake in the Quake 1 engine than the Doom engine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cat Mattress posted:

I wouldn't see that as a real obstacle, unless you want your demake to run in vanilla/Boom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anZwm9wA0dc

I think it's more a problem of the fact that Doom 4 has so many different floors and pathways that cross over one another vertically in any given level, and the classic Doom engine can't really do that even with modding.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There have been a few different 3D level implementations in various Doom source ports. Even Doom Legacy has one and it hasn't been updated for like a decade. And I'm not talking about using invisible flat sprites to walk on, I'm talking 3D geometry.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, but the engine that everyone uses doesn't really support room over room well/at all.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What, that stuff hasn't been rolled into ZDoom yet? That's weird considering ZDoom has generally been a Katamari of other source port's features.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Not much of an obstacle for recent builds of GZDoom, between the good old 3D floors and the newly improved portals.

reinardus vulpes posted:

Heretic wand starts are also possible. Don't bother, however, trying that with Hexen or Strife, they're definitely not meant for that.

Outside the Doom engine, Duke 3D should also be feasible with pistol starts. It can probably be attempted too with other Build games but I'm not familiar enough with them to tell.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ZDoom totally has 3D floor support at this point. Not just GZDoom, vanilla ZDoom has it as well (provided you're not doing sloped ones).

It does have the downside of not blocking sound to any capacity (not that I'd know how it could), so if you've got two criss-crossing hallways and you didn't want monsters to aggro to you in the lower hallway if you fire in the upper hallway, you'll have to resort to Ambush flag shenanigans.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lemon-Lime posted:

DoomRPG/DoomRLA adds the SSG, but not new monsters, afaik.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

I think it's more a problem of the fact that Doom 4 has so many different floors and pathways that cross over one another vertically in any given level, and the classic Doom engine can't really do that even with modding.

Like he said, that's only a problem if you want to support vanilla/boom. Sourceports can definitely do room-over-room.

Shadow Hog posted:

ZDoom totally has 3D floor support at this point. Not just GZDoom, vanilla ZDoom has it as well (provided you're not doing sloped ones).

It does have the downside of not blocking sound to any capacity (not that I'd know how it could), so if you've got two criss-crossing hallways and you didn't want monsters to aggro to you in the lower hallway if you fire in the upper hallway, you'll have to resort to Ambush flag shenanigans.

Yeah there are some caveats like sound calculations, but it should be at least working.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

thebushcommander posted:

Kind of off topic, but does anyone play Reflex? I didn't know it was a thing until 2 days ago and it looks like something I would enjoy as someone that played too much cpma back in the day.
Yes and it's very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LogicalFallacy posted:

Speaking of, project brutality should be getting an update some time soonish. I don't know an exact date, but the mod author has stated that he's shooting for around Doom's release date.

Now I'm wracked with indecision! I just started playing PB with the official Brutal Doom campaign last night (Whispers of Satan conclusion: good, gets even better as it goes along) but knowing there's a new version coming makes me want to put it on hold.