Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

I want something funny and action-y and dubbed in english.
Cyberpunk is awesome.

Things I've liked!

One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
FLCL
The Devil is a Part Timer
Yu Yu Hakusho
.hack//SIGNS
.hack//Liminality
.hack//Legend of Twilight
.hack//ROOTS
Fullmetal Alchemist

Things I didn't like

Tokyo Ghoul (the second season)
Gundam
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Naruto
One Piece
Is it Ok to pick up girls in a dungeon? <<< I hated this.
Tactics

Hunter x hunter is on toonami now, and it's from the same author as yu yu hakusho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ghost in the shell stand alone complex

Also lol liking the original FMA but not brotherhood

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Have you tried gluing cd cases to the back of your DVD/bluray player?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

whoa, brutal

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Linnaeus posted:

Hunter x hunter is on toonami now, and it's from the same author as yu yu hakusho

In the same vein, Level E.

I also like Noragami a lot. It's also on Funi, so there should be at least a semi-competent dub.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 19, 2016

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
You should watch Birdy The Mighty Decode. It fits the funny and actiony requirements, and has great chemistry between its main characters.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in addition, birdy decode s2 is one of the most fantastic sci-fi action character drama stories ever with some ridiculously cool action scenes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv posted:

lol

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Evangelion

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Also lol liking the original FMA but not brotherhood

The first few episodes of Brotherhood are pretty bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They are yeah, but if you've seen the original already you should skip the first what, five episodes of brotherhood?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

They are yeah, but if you've seen the original already you should skip the first what, five episodes of brotherhood?

Turtlicious might also have disliked the more conventionally shonen direction the manga/Brotherhood went in. (Remember, he doesn't like Naruto or One Piece.)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FMA Spoilers:

I got to the part where Lao Feng gets possessed by greed, and is showing bits of Lao Feng still inside of him. I had stopped reading the Manga around book 12, which is when Ed get's eaten by gluttony with Envy, and I didn't enjoy it a great deal. The series ended up swerving into grim dark territory, and it seemed like they were fighting a losing battle with no hope.

Each new episode was a gut punch, and eventually I found the series as a whole exhausting. I try to watch a lot more light hearted stuff now, because the uber serious grimdark stuff is just starting to not keep my attention as much.

I do not know a lot of the terms, so I can't tell you if the shonen leaning bugged me.

Space Dandy seems exactly what I'm looking for, while Jormandur (which from what I read as a plot synopsis,) seems less light hearted then I'm looking for. HunterXHunter might be good, but I don't know anything about it besides the plot synopsis.

From what I've seen from Ghost in the Shell it doesn't have the comedy I'm looking for.

I've already glued several DVD cases to USB FlashDrives to a Chromcast for this anime watching event.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Funny, actiony, good dub? How has nobody mentioned Baccano yet?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Turtlicious posted:

FMA Spoilers:

I got to the part where Lao Feng gets possessed by greed, and is showing bits of Lao Feng still inside of him. I had stopped reading the Manga around book 12, which is when Ed get's eaten by gluttony with Envy, and I didn't enjoy it a great deal. The series ended up swerving into grim dark territory, and it seemed like they were fighting a losing battle with no hope.

Each new episode was a gut punch, and eventually I found the series as a whole exhausting. I try to watch a lot more light hearted stuff now, because the uber serious grimdark stuff is just starting to not keep my attention as much.

I do not know a lot of the terms, so I can't tell you if the shonen leaning bugged me.

Space Dandy seems exactly what I'm looking for, while Jormandur (which from what I read as a plot synopsis,) seems less light hearted then I'm looking for. HunterXHunter might be good, but I don't know anything about it besides the plot synopsis.

From what I've seen from Ghost in the Shell it doesn't have the comedy I'm looking for.

I've already glued several DVD cases to USB FlashDrives to a Chromcast for this anime watching event.

Hunter x Hunter does get dark/gorey at parts, especially for the Chimera Ant arc. But that's like a 100 eps in, so.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

FMA Spoilers:

This surprises me because FMA 2003 is actually a lot more dark than Brotherhood.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's less dark and more crawling in my skin, these wounds they will not heal.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silver2195 posted:

This surprises me because FMA 2003 is actually a lot more dark than Brotherhood.

Yeah but I was a lot younger when I watched the older version, I don't think I can judge it fairly without nostalgia creeping in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Turtlicious posted:

Cyberpunk is awesome.

Things I've liked!

One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
FLCL
Yu Yu Hakusho
.hack//SIGNS
.hack//Liminality
.hack//ROOTS
Fullmetal Alchemist

Things I didn't like

Gundam
Naruto
One Piece
Tactics

I think Durarara!! fits the bill, I believe it did get a dub on CR. JoJo would work too but I don't think it has a dub yet.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Cyberpunk is awesome.

Things I've liked!

One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
FLCL
Yu Yu Hakusho
.hack//SIGNS
.hack//Liminality
.hack//ROOTS
Fullmetal Alchemist

Things I didn't like

Gundam
Naruto
One Piece
Tactics

Sorry you watched tokyo ghoul (it is bad). For a similar show / premise but much better executed from like the same season, give parasyte a try.

Edit: if you are looking for less grimdark then maybe not. Its very good but its emotionally more investing than tokyo ghoul.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 19, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

I think Durarara!! fits the bill, I believe it did get a dub on CR. JoJo would work too but I don't think it has a dub yet.

Durarara!! and Durarara!! X2 do indeed have an ongoing Simuldub.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Cyberpunk is awesome.

Things I've liked!

One Punch Man
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Black Lagoon
FLCL
Yu Yu Hakusho
.hack//SIGNS
.hack//Liminality
.hack//ROOTS
Fullmetal Alchemist

Things I didn't like

Gundam
Naruto
One Piece
Tactics

Cyber City Oedo 808.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Funny, actiony, good dub? How has nobody mentioned Baccano yet?

loving this

Baccano is fantastic

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
FMA:B is literally "two kids make friends and succesfully beat up fascism, save their country." It's hard to imagine a more upbeat story about the same subject matter.

Obviously you could just not tell a story about genocide and human experimentation in the first place, but that's dumb and needlessly limiting. If "grimdark" as a pejorative has any value at all, that's not it.

Japex
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Things I Like:
Anohana
Paranoia Agent
The Lost Village
Kokoro Connect
Spirted Away
Paprika
Howl's Moving Castle
Grave of Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
When Marnie Was There
Speed Grapher
NANA
Ergo Proxy
Shinreigari: GHOST HOUND
Cowboy Bebop
Time of Eve
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Usagi Drop
Welcome to the NHK
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Things I found enjoyable, but are not exactly 'good':
Another
Kill la Kill
Elfen Lied
Claymore
Dragon Ball Super
Code Geass
Psycho-Pass (Season 1)
GANTZ
Ouran High School Host Club
Fruits Basket
Tokyo Ghoul
Naruto: Shippuden
Bleach
Knights of Sidonia
Mobile Suit Gundam: SEED
Corpse Party: Tortured Souls

JUST OKAY:
Nichijou
Black Lagoon
Lucky Star
Cromartie High School
One Piece
Samurai Champloo
Madoka Magica
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Things that are okay, but either too slow or repetitive:
Hell Girl
xxxHolic
Mushishi
Monster
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain

Things I don't like:
Trigun
Tokyo Godfathers
Akira
Soul Eater
Psycho-Pass (Season 2)
Azumanga Daioh
Hidamari Sketch
Yuru Yuri
Strawberry Panic
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
Tatamai Galaxy
Steins;Gate
K-ON!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Japex posted:

Things I Like:
Anohana
Paranoia Agent
The Lost Village
Kokoro Connect
Spirted Away
Paprika
Howl's Moving Castle
Grave of Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
When Marnie Was There
Speed Grapher
NANA
Ergo Proxy
Cowboy Bebop
Time of Eve
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Usagi Drop
Welcome to the NHK

Since you liked paprika and paranoia agent, you can try out satoshi kon's other movies, like perfect blue and millennium actress.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Japex posted:

Things I Like:
Anohana
Paranoia Agent
The Lost Village
Kokoro Connect
Spirted Away
Paprika
Howl's Moving Castle
Grave of Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
When Marnie Was There
Speed Grapher
NANA
Ergo Proxy
Cowboy Bebop
Time of Eve
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Usagi Drop
Welcome to the NHK

Things I found enjoyable, but are not exactly 'good':
Another
Kill la Kill
Elfen Lied
Claymore
Dragon Ball Super
Code Geass
Psycho-Pass (Season 1)
GANTZ
Ouran High School Host Club
Fruits Basket
Tokyo Ghoul
Naruto: Shippuden
Bleach
Knights of Sidonia
Mobile Suit Gundam: SEED
Corpse Party: Tortured Souls

JUST OKAY:
Nichijou
Black Lagoon
Lucky Star
Cromartie High School
One Piece
Samurai Champloo
Madoka Magica
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Things that are okay, but either too slow or repetitive:
Hell Girl
xxxHolic
Mushishi
Monster
Haibane Renmei
Serial Experiments Lain

Things I don't like:
Trigun
Tokyo Godfathers
Akira
Soul Eater
Psycho-Pass (Season 2)
Azumanga Daioh
Hidamari Sketch
Yuru Yuri
Strawberry Panic
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
Tatamai Galaxy
Steins;Gate
K-ON!

What an odd mixed list, considering there are things that share genres in your like and don't like list. Give Shirobako, Kyousougiga, Hanasaku Iroha, Erased, and Eccentric Family a shot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Based on your liked list, watch:
- Revolutionary Girl Utena,
- the weirder / lesser known Ghibli movies that you haven't got around to yet (I saw Kiki's Delivery Service for the first time a month or two back, it was good)
- The Woman Named Fujiko Mine (you like a couple of Mari Okada shows and it's probably her best)
- literally anything by Masaaki Yuasa because everyone should do that and you seem to have the requisite tolerance for "weird" animation.
- Kyousougiga is a recommendation that i will second

Based on a combination of what you liked and what you thought was okay, watch:
- Steins;Gate; it's a little bit like Welcome to the NHK except not as brutally unforgiving to its protagonist and his sci-fi conspiracy theories are real

Based on your "I'm embarassed to like this" list, watch Mirai Nikki. Imagine something as trashy as Elfen Lied or GANTZ except written by someone who a) isn't a complete shithead and b) knows how plot structure works. it takes that trash to wonderful, hilarious places

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 19, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Based on your liked list, watch:
- Revolutionary Girl Utena,
- the weirder / lesser known Ghibli movies that you haven't got around to yet (I saw Kiki's Delivery Service for the first time a month or two back, it was good)
- The Woman Named Fujiko Mine (you like a couple of Mari Okada shows and it's probably her best)
- literally anything by Masaaki Yuasa because everyone should do that and you seem to have the requisite tolerance for "weird" animation.
- Kyousougiga is a recommendation that i will second

Based on a combination of what you liked and what you thought was okay, watch:
- Steins;Gate; it's a little bit like Welcome to the NHK except not as brutally unforgiving to its protagonist and his sci-fi conspiracy theories are real

Based on your "I'm embarassed to like this" list, watch Mirai Nikki. Imagine something as trashy as Elfen Lied or GANTZ except written by someone who a) isn't a complete shithead and b) knows how plot structure works

He put Steins;gate in his don't like list. :ssh:

Hard to pin Jagex's interests down due to that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Allarion posted:

He put Steins;gate in his don't like list. :ssh:

Hard to pin Jagex's interests down due to that.

woops

And yeah, I can kind of see that. If you watch Welcome to the NHK it's pretty easy to look at Steins;Gate and conclude "okay this is just pulling its punches."

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

genshiken, katanagatari, gatchaman crowds, hunter x hunter, patlabor, gunbuster/diebuster, kaiji, and i'll hesitantly recommend s1 of haruhi because it could probably go either way (though you would probably hate s2)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hi, I've been meaning to get around to watching FMA:B for literal years. What does it do differently from the original (besides "it follows the Manga all the way through", obviously) to make it worth watching? Or skipping, as the case may be?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hi, I've been meaning to get around to watching FMA:B for literal years. What does it do differently from the original (besides "it follows the Manga all the way through", obviously) to make it worth watching? Or skipping, as the case may be?

The manga is an entirely different story, and diverges like a quarter into the show. The different story is better written, with better character development, a better ending, and just better everything.

read the manga though

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Why is that not already on at least one of your lists?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Based on your "I'm embarassed to like this" list, watch Mirai Nikki. Imagine something as trashy as Elfen Lied or GANTZ except written by someone who a) isn't a complete shithead and b) knows how plot structure works. it takes that trash to wonderful, hilarious places

I will second this recommendation. It is a stupid story but it is also quite engaging and the characters are a lot of fun. Highlights include possibly the smartest villian in anime and a good example of just how terrifying a yandere can be.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's a good show about war and politics with mysticism as flavor instead of a bad show about mysticism with war and politics as flavor.

Also, Greed doesn't go out like a chump.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a good show about war and politics with mysticism as flavor instead of a bad show about mysticism with war and politics as flavor.

Also, Greed doesn't go out like a chump.

It also doesnt have the idiotically dark reveal of Alchemy being powered by people dying in World War 1 in our world.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

I haven’t really watched anime since the late nineties, but a couple of shows on Netflix and the simulwatch thread here have reignited my interest. I’m looking for mellow, character-focused comedies, preferably with adult characters and not schoolkids. I don’t really have an interest in over-the-top goofy comedies or action stuff.

Things I remember having a soft spot for back when:
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Patlabor
Cowboy Bebop
Tenchi Muyo

Things I’ve watched recently and enjoyed:
The Devil is a Part-Timer
Flying Witch
Tanaka is Always Listless
Bakemonogatari (skeevy, but I liked the characters and pacing)

Things I’ve watched recently and did not enjoy:
Baccano
Durarara
One-Punch Man

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Check out Barakamon, it's about a young (think recent college graduate) calligrapher with a temper who moves to the countryside to get away from it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sesquiculus posted:

I’m looking for mellow, character-focused comedies, preferably with adult characters and not schoolkids

Barakamon mentioned above is a good choice.

Shirobako hits two out of three - it's adult characters (don't let the opening of episode 1 fool you) and has some solid character moments and comedy, but it's not really mellow in the way that Flying Witch or Tanaka-kun are.