Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pick posted:

Yeah, but like, I like emotive work? I'd much rather read melodrama with a lot of crying and at least attempts at deep feeling--love, distress, etc--than something detached.

I mean that's cool but something about the way the characters are visually constructed in gashire/jack/goblins manages to very strongly convey the sense that life is pain for these things and that never really lets up.

Although maybe that's just a nervous twitch I'm getting from having read Jack; either way it's like, you know how you know exactly what a door looks like? And when you see a door you almost automatically see it being opened, because that's what doors do? When I see these characters, I see them being viscerally torn in half or some poo poo. Even if it never happens again, the association is in there now and it kinda really skeeves me out.

This isn't a criticism, just an explanation of why I don't like it. Deep feeling is great, but I really don't need anything in my life where the overall direction of that feeling is negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, I assume you're correct. I meant that comment more generally, I don't expect I'll read Gashire, or at least I will only check on it periodically to see if it ends up being a door.

The premise doesn't really grab me either thus far. OTOH I have terrible taste so :shrug:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

Does the comic have an RSS feed? I don't use them, because I am a loving luddite, but that would remind you each time it updates right?

I asked him to make one, so here you go:

http://www.basileuscomic.com/rss/feed.xml

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Although maybe that's just a nervous twitch I'm getting from having read Jack; either way it's like, you know how you know exactly what a door looks like? And when you see a door you almost automatically see it being opened, because that's what doors do? When I see these characters, I see them being viscerally torn in half or some poo poo. Even if it never happens again, the association is in there now and it kinda really skeeves me out.

Jack: The Comic That Gives You PTSD

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

TwoPair posted:

Hey that reminds me, is Thunt still dead? I remember that being a running gag back when the bad thread was remotely readable

But.... I thought this was the bad thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The badness was inside us all along.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
Truly, is there even such a thing as a good thread

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

having some demonstrative characters who clearly give a poo poo about what's going on is p key to making a story great, but some kid's epic fantasy comic is almost certainly not a great work capable of selling any of that, and a lotta comics out there go with the drama equivalent of the slasher movie bimbo who can't go three steps without tripping over something. there's not really a good way to fail at writing sympathetic characters but there's at least one profoundly obnoxious way.

also if you're loving with like Vattu here in favor of... that thing I will fight you

I have to second this. I don't have an issue with sentimentality, but I think a lot of people are going overboard with it these days, to the point that the characters feel equally unrealistic in the opposite direction. When I see characters become nervous wrecks at the drop of a pin it doesn't make me emotionally invested in the story, it just makes me think the author gets all their examples of human interaction from pirated episodes of Steven Universe and is just using cheap melodrama as a substitute for character writing.

That Neokosmos comic that's been posted here a bunch of times is a prime example of what I'm talking about; the main character's first response to everything is to mope and cry and it makes him completely irritating. In general, I feel like that comic apes Homestuck and Steven Universe really shamelessly while not really understanding why either works.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

HorseRenoir posted:

That Neokosmos comic that's been posted here a bunch of times is a prime example of what I'm talking about; the main character's first response to everything is to mope and cry and it makes him completely irritating. In general, I feel like that comic apes Homestuck and Steven Universe really shamelessly while not really understanding why either works.

The co-creators of Neo-Kosmos actually have worked on homestuck (Shelby Cragg, did Calliope's art) and Steven Universe (Amber Rogers, storyboard revisionist) respectively.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd still rather read someone trying to write emotion who is a little hammy about it than another comic where everyone approaches problems like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality or whatever that thing is called.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HorseRenoir posted:

I have to second this. I don't have an issue with sentimentality, but I think a lot of people are going overboard with it these days, to the point that the characters feel equally unrealistic in the opposite direction. When I see characters become nervous wrecks at the drop of a pin it doesn't make me emotionally invested in the story, it just makes me think the author gets all their examples of human interaction from pirated episodes of Steven Universe and is just using cheap melodrama as a substitute for character writing.

yeah my favourite example is the cyclops comic

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Hey now Boozle is good

Pick posted:

I'd still rather read someone trying to write emotion who is a little hammy about it than another comic where everyone approaches problems like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality or whatever that thing is called.

I'll happily take both, 'cause methods of rationality was hilarious

Not in the way the author wanted, but still

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 18, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

The co-creators of Neo-Kosmos actually have worked on homestuck (Shelby Cragg, did Calliope's art) and Steven Universe (Amber Rogers, storyboard revisionist) respectively.

That makes a lot of sense, as it feels like the authors know how to copy a lot of superficial stylistic details from those things perfectly, but they completely lack an understanding of the fundamentals that make HS and SU appealing that would come from actually being in the writers' seat.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

is there a middle ground in the conflict over whether Jack or Demon has the more appealing characters where I can just really not like either of them

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I didn't know that was an argument anyone was having.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

is there a middle ground in the conflict over whether Jack or Demon has the more appalling characters

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never read Jack except I knew someone in college who was a forums moderator there. She would ask for help (on matters of forum moderation).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I like Neo-Kosmos but I agree that it could maybe use a little more levity to even out the sad bits. But then, I think that's the peril of doing a super decompressed story visually, what would be a ten minute stretch of drama in actual animation resolves to being a much longer period of time in terms of webcomic updates.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I also feel like Iris' character isn't really substantial or well communicated enough to make us feel for Tye at some of those dramatic moments quite like how we're intended to. But then, that's me. I'm sure others have different reactions.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like neo-kosmos but it's definitely slow with its pacing

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
That comic has one of the worst cases of decompression I've ever seen. I get that they're trying to go for a storyboard format, but even real animation storyboards are less spaced out than this. They devote a full page to every individual line of dialogue or slight body movement, regardless of how minor or inconsequential it is. It's one thing if you want to emphasize than an important action is happening by spreading it across several pages, but the effect is used so constantly that you could probably shave the comic's page total by more than half if they simply converted these sequences into animated gifs. I'm honestly thinking of dropping the comic because I can't take another sequence where I have to click through 30 pages for two lines of dialogue and a simple action.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
I don't know if any of you still read Sorcery 101 but it is ending and I'm kickstarting a big fat omnibus. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1495959227/sorcery-101-omnibus-vol-2-of-2
11 years of old and it has 20 pages left.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wow, that's huge! Congratulations!!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Megazver posted:

I asked him to make one, so here you go:

http://www.basileuscomic.com/rss/feed.xml

thanks a ton! the rss doesn't seem to be linked anywhere on the site, so i figured i'd just have to follow the tumblr...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

I never read Jack except I knew someone in college who was a forums moderator there. She would ask for help (on matters of forum moderation).

My advice to her would be that anyone who registers on the Jack forums is a sicko who should be banned preemptively.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

My advice to her would be that anyone who registers on the Jack forums is a sicko who should be banned preemptively.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Last I heard Jack was dead for good due to its creator being a sufficiently depraved weirdo to get the FBI involved. I'm not checking for myself because that's a perfect ending to a sordid tale.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pick posted:

Better off than me. Read through it back when badwebcomicwiki was still really active and people kept slamming it in the comment sections. Quite possibly one of the most vile comic I've ever read and you're a better person for never seeing it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

probably but otoh I kinda like having a consistent standard for the worst thing ever made I can always rely on

Oxxidation posted:

Last I heard Jack was dead for good due to its creator being a sufficiently depraved weirdo to get the FBI involved. I'm not checking for myself because that's a perfect ending to a sordid tale.

I want to know the whole story desperately but I don't want to hear this is fake someone help

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's fake

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i won't forget this, you have made a powerful enemy today

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
From what I heard he harassed a disabled girl to the point of a suicide attempt and the authorities investigated him shortly afterwards. I haven't seen hide or hare of Jack since.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Thanks to whoever linked Bird Boy - I can't find the post now

http://bird-boy.com/comic/2010-09-6-promo-page/

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The best way to describe Jack is that the bad webcomics threads basically never discuss it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 19, 2016

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jack's author's girlfriend calling LoveLine about his rape fetish and them calling him a creep is definitely real, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The best way to describe Jack is that the bad webcomics threads basically never discuss it.

There's sometimes an occasional "balls, too" reference but that's pretty much all.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Pick posted:

Wow, that's huge! Congratulations!!

Thanks. Right now I'm mostly pumped to move on to other things. Like I have a few pitches I'm working on and half written scripts that need finishing.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Bobulus posted:

Jack's author's girlfriend calling LoveLine about his rape fetish and them calling him a creep is definitely real, though.
You're listening to webcomic romance advice with Chris Titus.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

KellHound posted:

Thanks. Right now I'm mostly pumped to move on to other things. Like I have a few pitches I'm working on and half written scripts that need finishing.

One of my best friends (jakface) did the art for the tabasco fish woman story in your recent anthology, the book came out beautifully so congratulations on that too by the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The best way to describe Jack is that I have actually, successfully, repressed the memory of that comic, and every time someone posts pages from it I remember it again and get angry because I have to actively forget reading it again.

I don't remember anything about it, and I am perfectly happy that way. :colbert:

• Locked thread