Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

If there was one bright side to the MCSA, it was that there are no sims to crash.

They had them in 2k3 and I had no issues. They also seemed so straightforward compared to the normal questions, with entire parts reacting to clicks with near-literal "this is not involved with the solution" to the point that you could probably yolo your way through them without a second thought.

The testlet format in 2k8 was actually pretty decent - they give you the details about an org, its current config, challenges, etc, and asked you to pick what worked the best to solve X/Y/Z/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

skooma512 posted:

God drat it! No wonder Laemmle said he was making a new edition

What happens if I get test 1 done in the summer? Do I just take the updated test 2 when I'm ready or should I even bother?

Take it when you're ready.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/ccna-rs-certification

quote:

The CCNA Routing and Switching exams and trainings are being revised from v2.0 to v3.0 Candidates can choose to take either the version 2.0 exams or version 3.0 exams. The last day to test for the 200-120 CCNAX v2.0 and 100-101 ICND1 v2.0 exams will be August 20, 2016. The last day to test for the 200-101 ICND2 v2.0 exam will be September 24, 2016.

Existing CCENT certified individuals can achieve CCNA R&S certification by passing either ICND2 (200-101 or 200-105) or CCNA composite (200-120 or 200-125) exams.

I have a coworker who passed his CCENT and failed CCNA right before the 2013 revision. The rep at Pearson told him he had to retake both tests, but I'm pretty sure he just got ripped off or, more likely, the Pearson rep was an idiot.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My VCP5 expires right when I get back from hiking the AT. I think I'm gonna just let it lapse and hopefully finish up my MCSA right before I quit my job and leave for 6 months.

Right idea or should I re-up the VCP6 delta exam before I go instead?

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

SaltLick posted:

My VCP5 expires right when I get back from hiking the AT. I think I'm gonna just let it lapse and hopefully finish up my MCSA right before I quit my job and leave for 6 months.

Right idea or should I re-up the VCP6 delta exam before I go instead?

Take the delta! Don't ever let it lapse if you are in a position to avoid it. I've heard horror stories of people who had to not only retake the exam but also the class in order to get their cert back.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

You don't need to pay for the Delta course if you're a valid cert holder so I'd probably just try to take the exam if you can.

My VCP 5.5 expires in ~10 months so I better get my rear end in gear on my CISSP because I'm not picking up a VMware book until that's knocked out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If you don't want to do the Delta then pick up another VCP cert in a different discipline and it automatically re-ups your VCP.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, looks like Frame Relay is gone in ICND2 V3.0. :toot:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Take the delta! Don't ever let it lapse if you are in a position to avoid it. I've heard horror stories of people who had to not only retake the exam but also the class in order to get their cert back.

Uh oh

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Passed F5 301a. Pretty tough exam, which isn't helped by the fact that there's really no study materials for it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

Passed F5 301a. Pretty tough exam, which isn't helped by the fact that there's really no study materials for it.

A couple of our consultants have taken the F5 exams and found them to be really bad both due to the lack of study materials and the fact that the tests seem to have been written for internal F5 employees and involve a fair amount of process and procedure around how to manage support cases and pass information to F5, which is a dumb thing to test on. One guy passed both on his first try, but the other has failed the second test like 3 times.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

NippleFloss posted:

A couple of our consultants have taken the F5 exams and found them to be really bad both due to the lack of study materials and the fact that the tests seem to have been written for internal F5 employees and involve a fair amount of process and procedure around how to manage support cases and pass information to F5, which is a dumb thing to test on. One guy passed both on his first try, but the other has failed the second test like 3 times.

Yeah that's a fair assessment. I wouldn't say they wrote it specifically for F5 employees, but they specifically don't wants people to take the certifications with straight book knowledge. As a result, the 300 level exams themselves require such a familiarity with the entire lifecycle of the platform that you basically have to be an F5 consulting engineer in order to pass. I work for an F5 partner, so I've done a few deployments with their products (although it's maybe 10% of the actual projects I receive), and that's the only reason I was able to pass.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Hey, looks like Frame Relay is gone in ICND2 V3.0. :toot:
This is the tl;dr one of the CBT Nuggets guys posted:

I failed the ICND2 earlier this year after getting my ICND1 last year, I'm wondering if I should wait it out and try 200-105 instead

It feels kinda silly to learn some of the more outdated stuff, but I should probably just tough it out and finish up the 200-101 before September

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The rule of thumb is that Cisco certs only get harder with each subsequent revision.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Well that was fast!

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/ccent-ccna-icnd1-100-105-official-cert-guide-9781587205804

ICND2 is about a month out and the combo a bit after that.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm glad to see Frame Relay gone, it's the reason I had to take the CCNA twice instead of once. Surprised to see BGP getting added and RIP getting left in though - I think I've only ever seen RIP deployed once in a production scenario, and I would expect people to need the newer IGPs before they needed BGP probably. Never too early to get started learning it though I guess.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Thing is about RIP is that I dont mind a brief explanation, but they put too much time and effort into it for something so rarely used, even when I was working on my CCNA studies a couple years back.

Im still slogging through 640-916, I really REALLY dont understand how this is a "CCNA level" certification.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

Thing is about RIP is that I dont mind a brief explanation, but they put too much time and effort into it for something so rarely used, even when I was working on my CCNA studies a couple years back.

Im still slogging through 640-916, I really REALLY dont understand how this is a "CCNA level" certification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Well at least i didnt pay for a test date and only wasted 30 on these books for CCNA/CCENT

fuckin hell

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Broletariat posted:

Well at least i didnt pay for a test date and only wasted 30 on these books for CCNA/CCENT

fuckin hell

Just take the existing one?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

rafikki posted:

Yeah, that's my plan

3 months should be plenty

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MrBigglesworth posted:

It seems tough because it's conceptually different than what you're used to, but the material isn't especially advanced and the test doesn't even ask questions about configuration, just validation, at least assuming it hasn't changed since I took it.

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014

rafikki posted:

I'd rather learn the updated cert, i guess. it doesnt hurt to have more reference materials around

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Passed the Security+ this morning after 2 weeks of study. I wasn't confident with a lot of my answers and took all but 10 minutes of the allotted time but came out with an 820. Either the grading was extraordinarily easy, I lucked through more questions than I thought I would, or I know more than I think I do. I'm thinking the former.

Not a single war-driving / war-chalking question which restores some faith in CompTIA.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

NippleFloss posted:

It seems tough because it's conceptually different than what you're used to, but the material isn't especially advanced and the test doesn't even ask questions about configuration, just validation, at least assuming it hasn't changed since I took it.

Yeah it's an into to to DC Tech but there is just so much about how many 40g upstream ports are on xyz N2K or what Port type for an FCoE connection for this or that. No trouble shooting or actual config really so far. Just a lotttt of different stuff. I'm thinking I should have taken vanilla CCNP path and lock down R&S fundamentals first before exploring specialization.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MrBigglesworth posted:

Yeah it's an into to to DC Tech but there is just so much about how many 40g upstream ports are on xyz N2K or what Port type for an FCoE connection for this or that. No trouble shooting or actual config really so far. Just a lotttt of different stuff. I'm thinking I should have taken vanilla CCNP path and lock down R&S fundamentals first before exploring specialization.

We actually sell UCS so I have to install and work with it somewhat often and I still don't think the CCNA DC was worth taking. But if you're that close you might as well finish it up. I'd switch back to the vanilla R&S track afterwards though.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah, work will pay for it without problem. If I pass then yay, if I score close, will do a retake after going over what weak spots I have, if I am out of the ballpark on missing then Ill just shelve it and go R&S all the way.

I work in a Data Center, but we have severely hierarchical structure. I mean we have full on network, storage, server teams. So anything FC related is done directly by the storage guys so to speak. Pretty much 100% of what I do is R&S related, with some Nexus thrown in which, really isn't that much different than IOS.

And dont get me wrong, it is a good exposure to get familiar with some of the usage and terms, it just doesnt really fit my day to day right now.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 19, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I have work paying for exam training at New Horizons lately. What should I take with them? I have the 70-680, 70-685 Microsoft, ITIL Foundations (today), and thinking of security+ to open up military base contracting jobs. I sat through a ccent training before but wasn't that great. Would it be worth sitting through that? Or looking at a network+ to get a quick cert added before reading it over myself?

I'm in oil*gas so we laid off half the IT department and just looking to move away from my company asap. I have 6 years of L3 support now, basic AD support, desktop support, cisco trouble shooting with our off shore vsats, server backups etc. Just need to get some bs on my name and develop networking skills or get server cert so I'm not stuck in outsourcing hell loop.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Renegret posted:

Yeah, that's my plan

3 months should be plenty

Me too. We're gonna make it buddy :hfive:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

skooma512 posted:

Me too. We're gonna make it buddy :hfive:

failure is not an option :hfive:

no...really...it isn't

It's going to be really awkward if I fail. What a dumb decision, I just should buy the new books. I am not known for my good decision making.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Christobevii3 posted:

I have work paying for exam training at New Horizons lately. What should I take with them? I have the 70-680, 70-685 Microsoft, ITIL Foundations (today), and thinking of security+ to open up military base contracting jobs. I sat through a ccent training before but wasn't that great. Would it be worth sitting through that? Or looking at a network+ to get a quick cert added before reading it over myself?

I'm in oil*gas so we laid off half the IT department and just looking to move away from my company asap. I have 6 years of L3 support now, basic AD support, desktop support, cisco trouble shooting with our off shore vsats, server backups etc. Just need to get some bs on my name and develop networking skills or get server cert so I'm not stuck in outsourcing hell loop.

VMware, if you can get it. Costs thousands at retail and the Stanly course has the waitlist. At least get the course done so you can take the exam later if you want.

Sec+ is super easy and can be done from a book, but if the training's free, why not.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MJP posted:

VMware, if you can get it. Costs thousands at retail and the Stanly course has the waitlist. At least get the course done so you can take the exam later if you want.

Sec+ is super easy and can be done from a book, but if the training's free, why not.

You can take the test whenever you want. You don't need to take the class before the test. You just need to have credit for the class and a passing score on the test to be able to call yourself a VCP. It's going to take at least 3-6 months prep to get ready for the test (which the class is of no use in preparing you for), so while you're getting ready to take the test you can be working your way up the wait-list at Stanly.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MJP posted:

I got my Sec+ after 3 and a half days of studying, no knowledge of the format of the test, and 0 desktop experience in a corporate environment. The test is a loving joke. There's no reason not to take it if it's going to open up new doors for you.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 20, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

MJP posted:

I can probably schedule the training at New Horizons. This is where we have training credit. Any suggestions that follow this? I have experience with vmware desktop usage and virtual box for a while. I just want security+ since i did a class in college but never took the test. Figure free training to update for 8 years and get it out of the way to open up military base contracting options then need to look at something more specific. I like server admin stuff and really need to get beyond basic networking too so I can have more job options. Thanks for the replies.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

I can probably schedule the training at New Horizons. This is where we have training credit. Any suggestions that follow this? I have experience with vmware desktop usage and virtual box for a while. I just want security+ since i did a class in college but never took the test. Figure free training to update for 8 years and get it out of the way to open up military base contracting options then need to look at something more specific. I like server admin stuff and really need to get beyond basic networking too so I can have more job options. Thanks for the replies.

It really depends on where your interests lie - I like virtualization and went the VCP route. Right now I've got around 12 months until I need to renew it, so I've decided to go ahead and study for the MCSA 2012. I figure I can knock it out in 6-8 months with serious study, at which point I will have just enough time to study for the delta exam to get VCP6. At some point I will need to work on specialization, which I figure is going to be virtualization, so the VCAP is somewhere in my future. The only reason I decided to do the MCSA 2012 is because of upcoming contracting requirements, and because a combination of VCP and MCSA is, I think, something that will get me a lot of interest from prospective employers and demand a much higher salary than either one alone.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

The only reason I decided to do the MCSA 2012 is because of upcoming contracting requirements, and because a combination of VCP and MCSA is, I think, something that will get me a lot of interest from prospective employers and demand a much higher salary than either one alone.

As a person with VCP and MCSA Server 2012, I can wholeheartedly say that I wish this was true.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

HPL posted:

As a person with VCP and MCSA Server 2012, I can wholeheartedly say that I wish this was true.
It's not true? I've been considering that a fantastic combo with a huge baseline of knowledge.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Yes, but it's not a magic wand. You'll still need real world experience to back up your knowledge on your resume. Either that or move to a town where everyone and their dog doesn't have a bunch of certs already.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
for people that have taken the ICND2 test, are there any IPv6 questions?
I'm wondering if it is similar to ICND1 where IPv6 is good preparation for the future but not on the test.

Spambort fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 22, 2016

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Spambort posted:

for people that have taken the ICND2 test, are they're any IPv6 questions?
I'm wondering if it is similar to ICND1 where IPv6 is good preparation for the future but not on the test.

I vaguely remember there being one or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I took the ccnax and got two or three ipv6 questions, but they were pretty generic like pick the valid v6 address and what's the proper shorthand for this address. Nothing router or troubleshooting based.