Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

zeal posted:

what did you interview her for

mine jorb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nonsense posted:

The potential for a refugee crisis is very real at the moment.

yeah, its gonna be baaad.

unao
Dec 12, 2013
As an uniforned non-american, i don't see any way hillary would be better than trump on a global scale.
I may be wrong, but all your imperialist tendencies seem to be independent of rhe current president's party. Trump at least says to be outside the usual interventinist politics.
Of course there's is the caveat that loving up America enough has repercutions outside, but i doubt either candidato would do much worse than the other.
I wouldn't mind a trump

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

unao posted:

As an uniforned non-american, i don't see any way hillary would be better than trump on a global scale.
I may be wrong, but all your imperialist tendencies seem to be independent of rhe current president's party. Trump at least says to be outside the usual interventinist politics.
Of course there's is the caveat that loving up America enough has repercutions outside, but i doubt either candidato would do much worse than the other.
I wouldn't mind a trump

What, precisely, leads you to this? Him saying 'we have to bomb the oil, take the oil, and bomb the oil', him saying eh, maybe more people need nukes actually, or him saying hey maybe he'd be ok nuking Europe to stop the scary ISIS people.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What, precisely, leads you to this? Him saying 'we have to bomb the oil, take the oil, and bomb the oil', him saying eh, maybe more people need nukes actually, or him saying hey maybe he'd be ok nuking Europe to stop the scary ISIS people.

You're pathetic Tatum.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

You're pathetic Tatum.

Your new avatar suits you.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mrit posted:

Your new avatar suits you.

I like it. It's handy evidence of what feeble bitches you democrats are.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What are the good and true reasons to hate Hilary

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

unao posted:

I wouldn't mind a trump

No difference between George W Bush and Barack Obama. Got it.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

unao posted:

I wouldn't mind a trump

Setting aside the military, Trump's isolationism and anti-trade policies will both be disastrous. Having a trade war with China will hurt everyone, and not checking Russia in Ukraine could lead to Iron Curtain 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I honestly believe we should send a team into syria to kill assad and his whole family(brothers,sisters,wife, kids) its shown that the family is loving tainted and have killed thousands. then we do the same to ISIS leadership.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

e_angst posted:

Setting aside the military, Trump's isolationism and anti-trade policies will both be disastrous. Having a trade war with China will hurt everyone, and not checking Russia in Ukraine could lead to Iron Curtain 2: Electric Boogaloo.

it doesnt help that he loves rear end in a top hat strongmen (yeah we always did but at least we pretended we didn't like it) him sucking off Putin and Assad and Qaddafi is lovely and dumb. it shows all a rear end in a top hat leader has to do is say nice things about trump and he will back off.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Uncle Wemus posted:

What are the good and true reasons to hate Hilary

Foreign policy, criminal justice issues, domestic surveillance and civil liberties, there's more but those are the biggest red flags in my mind.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it doesnt help that he loves rear end in a top hat strongmen (yeah we always did but at least we pretended we didn't like it) him sucking off Putin and Assad and Qaddafi is lovely and dumb. it shows all a rear end in a top hat leader has to do is say nice things about trump and he will back off.

Actually his ability to get along with all of those people is a loving brilliant trait and he's far more likely to bring some semblance of peace and stability to the world than Hillay "neocon" Clinton

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I used to be extremely left-wing and idolize people like Nechaev and other austere Russian revolutionaries who were devoted to the cause.

I still have that kind of politics but if there's no dictatorship of the proletariat on offer i'd rather have a dictatorship of the nation state than a dictatorship of crony capitalists.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

The Saurus posted:

Actually his ability to get along with all of those people is a loving brilliant trait and he's far more likely to bring some semblance of peace and stability to the world than Hillay "neocon" Clinton

He doesn't get along with them. He gets played by them.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

The Saurus posted:

I used to be extremely left-wing and idolize people like Nechaev and other austere Russian revolutionaries who were devoted to the cause.

I still have that kind of politics but if there's no dictatorship of the proletariat on offer i'd rather have a dictatorship of the nation state than a dictatorship of crony capitalists.

La commedia è finita!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Saurus posted:

The Saurus posted:

Hey the saurus

It's you

You're the neocon

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

True and honest opinion my favorite thing about ycs is its like being at the neocon Big Bang

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

A large hardon collider experiment if you will

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

Good. I'm glad you finally understand.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Al! posted:

Hey the saurus

It's you

You're the neocon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Democrats,_USA

These guys sound more like Sanderistas than Trumpenproletariat so

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

A large hardon collider experiment if you will

Nah, that's at the RNC.

Mrit has issued a correction as of 19:46 on May 18, 2016

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Quorum posted:

He doesn't get along with them. He gets played by them.

Better to have an idiot trying to do well than a competent person trying to screw ordinary people out of everything in favour of their owners.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Mrit posted:

Nah, that's at the RNC.

That's a small hardon collider

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

universities seem to think Obama is a fuckshit for messing with overtime and stuff, and they're going to fire faculty / raise tuition more, npr sounded scared

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

The Saurus posted:

:agreed:

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
Well that's funny, I'm going completely the other way. I've got a colossal unfunny earnest post lined up talking about technocracy and how the nation state should be discarded as a concept (essentially TEAYCHES, WhiskeyJuvenile and Trumps Baby Hands writ large). Citizenship should be fixed too, fungible so people can satisfy that wishful privileged bullshit Moses Mendelssohn said.

Also, I've only got more leftish over time, and generally found identity politics made interaction in leftie contexts more pleasant and productive. It's only on this subforum in the last year that I've been introduced to the idea that somehow economic stability and treating people fairly regardless of their intrinsic characteristics are somehow at all in opposition. I get that it was tactically unsound to bear down on in the '60s (should've pushed for a 30-hour workweek), and I see the balance sheets with drone manufacturers predominantly donating to HRC's HRC and feel vindicated in my longstanding mistrust of all three parties, but we need to stop wasting human potential in needless subjugation.

But world leaders passed the buck for three decades on energy deficits and ecological collapse and now it barely makes a difference whether the humans that scrape through the next two centuries are zealously oligarchical misogyracist ritual necrozoopedophile cyber circumcizers or not. The only important thing is evidently trying to save what we can, in terms of information and knowledge if not diversity or anything else. Western alcohol culture is beginning to recover from the effects of the prohibition and ww2, russia is... still struggling under the effects of leninism et al., humanity has just about rediscovered anything of use that might have burned in the library of alexandria, but if civilization collapses now there are no guarantees we get to this point again. No guarantees any of your malnourished descendants get to even hear about the concepts like freedom of press, religion, speech, assembly, control over their own bodies, academic pursuit, whatever; let alone seeing feeble attempts at implementing those freedoms.

And then there's all the information in nature, which dwarfs anything human. Megadiverse coral reefs filled with exotic chemistry that could help humanity directly or otherwise disappearing in acidification as we speak, for example. Near certainty that immeasurable value is being lost forever. This planet is like a lone, becalmed ship and we are spraying the remaining irreplaceable potable water overboard because the rainbows look pretty.

Really my honest political opinion is "why are we making such slow progress building alliances it really should be everyone vs. GOP + fossil fuel industry as of TYOOL 2000". Everything else pales into wilful distraction.

:shillary: is vacillating over the coal industry and thus deserves quiet uncredited retirement.

PyPy posted:

I'd sooner vote for Mickey mouse than a woman for the presidency.
I worry about the circumstances of your upbringing, the trauma you might have suffered, but most of all any responsibility you might have over others that might allow you to act out your cartoonish sexism. I hope you are practised at questioning and checking your actions to make sure they aren't harmfully prejudiced. Please try to leave your children, if you have any, with less damage than you had.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
this election is to determine the casus belli of the wars the US will definitely fight in the next 4 years and also at least 2 supreme court justices.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I honestly believe we should send a team into syria to kill assad and his whole family(brothers,sisters,wife, kids) its shown that the family is loving tainted and have killed thousands. then we do the same to ISIS leadership.

what could possibly go wrong?!?!?!

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bush didn't murder an American teenager. He only married a killer.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

stephenfry posted:

The_True_and_Honest_Political_Opinions_Thread.txt

I agree with almost all of your points friend (also, jesus, it was uncomfortable seeing my posts isolated all in a row like that. I have very contradictory opinions, and rarely think before hitting the reply button). The only thing I paused on was "trying to save what we can, in terms of information and knowledge if not diversity or anything else". I still think that we should press the "delete" button on all history and culture, and drag our remnants back into woodland ignorance and nature worship. Let those doomed coral reefs you mention to continue their binary encoding of the mathematical secrets of the universe. Information was a loaded gun that we used irresponsibly: maybe instead of banning firearms we should try banning networked communication and transmission of all knowledge that can't be passed down entirely by verbal communication from the elderly to the young.

As I've asserted, our only hope is a space colony that lives in a giant Rivenworld-halo-type ship for a few generations while Mars is terraformed. Then our great-great grandchildren will descend into the new, lush Eden, which they'll tend to lovingly for about 300 years before human nature asserts itself and they destroy that civilization, with the oligarchs gathering enough resources to send out lifeboats of huddled aristocracy who will eak out a miserable existence beneath the ice of Saturn's moon Enceladus.

But yeah, mad props on collecting all those disparate nihilistic posts into a narrative.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Hate to break this to you but terraforming Mars is literally impossible. Its core is dead meaning no magnetic poles which means no ionized atmosphere which means basically no meaningful atmosphere or protection from radiation. Any addition atmosphere we could add to it would just be blown away.

Earth is literally all we've got.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
we're so hosed

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
basically transformation of humans and society to reduce resource consumption with a few semi self sufficient space habitats as a hedge is the safest option, and neither hillary's business as usual or trump's back to the assembly line volkishness is going to solve this

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Global Warming is why we need to build the wall. An unprecedented amount of migration will occur in the coming decades due to sea levels rising.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Necc0 posted:

Hate to break this to you but terraforming Mars is literally impossible. Its core is dead meaning no magnetic poles which means no ionized atmosphere which means basically no meaningful atmosphere or protection from radiation. Any addition atmosphere we could add to it would just be blown away.

Earth is literally all we've got.

but didn't you see that totally believable and feasible reddit post?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Immortan posted:

Global Warming is why we need to build the wall. An unprecedented amount of migration will occur in the coming decades due to sea levels rising.

Plus man when the water level gets too high we can all climb up on the wall, good thinking

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Plus man when the water level gets too high we can all climb up on the wall, good thinking

The wall wouldn't be unmanned, silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
personal responsibility is the highest virtue of the american, and americans demonstrate that they have none if they intend to be the beneficiaries of global capitalism though funneling resources towards themselves, while footing the rest of the planet with the bill

• Locked thread