Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Doing Wolnir on co-op is quite fun. I dunno why but sticking my sign down outside his door gets me summoned really quickly. I haven't missed something, he is really really easy, right? Also I love that this series finally has a Bongo Bongo type boss. And the way he just flies off into the darkness when you whack him makes me laugh. I always like to wave at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Golden Goat posted:

Has anybody here actually taken on the worm without hiding behind that one rock and having the ballista take care of it?

On my first and bravest playthrough (43:35...takes till 47:28 for me to stop loving around though). I also only found the area at the end of my game so :shrug:

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
He's easy if you always break the left bracelet (his right) first, otherwise his AI can decide to keep that arm close to his body forever and give you no chances to get close as he barfs successively stronger skeletons at you.

It's sort of like how I love sunbro-ing on Greatwood because I always go for the pustules on its left wrist/ankle first so it ends up 2/3 dead after the first crotch-bashing.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 19, 2016

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

turtlecrunch posted:

The best ending being the one where you step on the Firekeeper's head.

Of all the callbacks that was the one I appreciated the most.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Golden Goat posted:

Ballista seems like the only way for that.

Has anybody here actually taken on the worm without hiding behind that one rock and having the ballista take care of it?

On the left side there is a spot where he can't hurt you while he curls up and while he sits spamming the electric puke. You only have to move away when he does the jumping around. I just stayed there and stabbed away at him until he died as I took out the balista previously. On my second try too, as I found the spot by accident on my first try but than got smashed when i was pretty much afk stabbing him while checking my phone and he suddenly started jumping about again.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

McDragon posted:

Doing Wolnir on co-op is quite fun. I dunno why but sticking my sign down outside his door gets me summoned really quickly. I haven't missed something, he is really really easy, right? Also I love that this series finally has a Bongo Bongo type boss. And the way he just flies off into the darkness when you whack him makes me laugh. I always like to wave at him.

He's pretty easy, but his skelly bros can add a lot of challenge for a solo player who can't put out enough damage to break a bracelet before he summons them. Plus if you can't DPS hard enough he'll back you up to a wall and blow clouds at you until you die.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He always murders the poo poo outta all his skeletons when he summoned them so they're almost never an issue.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Speaking of Wolnir, a friend of mine got really mad at the game after dying to apparently nothing in the Wolnir fight. According to him, he was backing away from Wolnir and was nowhere near his body, out of arm's reach, took two ticks of damage and just died. It doesn't sound like it's Wolnir's cloud of death since he wasn't anywhere near Wolnir's body and there were no skeletons near him, so what could it have been?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Golden Goat posted:

Ballista seems like the only way for that.

I've always shot it with my arrows.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
If I use a hunter's charm and the mimic "drops" an item, can I loot that item and then use another charm in order to roll another chance at the symbol of avarice?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
This game reminds me of Peace Walker in that it's supposed to be a sequel to a sequel but it looks suspiciously like the original director came back to remake the sequel he wasn't involved with

Does that make sense. Like it has the
-more geographically spread-out, less interconnected world
-central importance of thrones
-boss fights mostly with guys in weird armor
-king who's too far gone to deal
-climactic level in his castle which you can approach early in the game but have to kill the other lords to enter
-super tough dragon mountain level floating off to the side
-plot that's some meta thing about the limitations of a world that can only ever recapitulate Dark Souls 1 (i guess it would have had this anyway)

and it just has a different style and tone that hews a lot closer to the original than DS2 did and pushes 2 to the margin somewhat

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It tries to ignore DS2's overarching narrative yeah. It does pull in a handful of the characters for references.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

teknetik posted:

If I use a hunter's charm and the mimic "drops" an item, can I loot that item and then use another charm in order to roll another chance at the symbol of avarice?

Yes. Though I think you have to hit it once before throwing the next charm

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope those patch notes mean increased straight / thrusting sword stam drain and reduced UGS and similarly huge weapon stam drain. The difference in stamina usage between weapon categories is rediculous considering the relatively small difference in damage.

Hell I'd be OK with the lighter weapons staying as spammy as they are, just give me more than 4 attacks with an UGS with 40 end and a Ring of Favour.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ChaosArgate posted:

Speaking of Wolnir, a friend of mine got really mad at the game after dying to apparently nothing in the Wolnir fight. According to him, he was backing away from Wolnir and was nowhere near his body, out of arm's reach, took two ticks of damage and just died. It doesn't sound like it's Wolnir's cloud of death since he wasn't anywhere near Wolnir's body and there were no skeletons near him, so what could it have been?
Sure he didn't get caught in Wolnir's crawling up the slope? Because he did that to kill me the first time (I think) and I didn't even notice it because his ribcage turns invisible when the camera is inside him, also the hitbox is fucky as all hell. Died again to him in my next fight because I couldn't have learned what the problem was the first time, but now I saw it happen. Third time went off without any problems because he's a superchump.

It's sad because he's one of the most impressive bosses to me just visually but he's such a janky wet fart.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Simply Simon posted:

Sure he didn't get caught in Wolnir's crawling up the slope? Because he did that to kill me the first time (I think) and I didn't even notice it because his ribcage turns invisible when the camera is inside him, also the hitbox is fucky as all hell. Died again to him in my next fight because I couldn't have learned what the problem was the first time, but now I saw it happen. Third time went off without any problems because he's a superchump.

It's sad because he's one of the most impressive bosses to me just visually but he's such a janky wet fart.

According to him, he was nowhere near Wolnir and looking straight at his face, so I doubt he got caught in that hitbox.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

YancyQ posted:

This could have been a good game if you fought anthropomorphic furniture with geometric shapes in space, but instead you fight dragons with swords in a castle... AGAIN.

Why can't From Software make the game that I want to play? :emo:

Seriously though, if you're offended by callbacks I suggest that you never watch any movie sequel or play any game sequel lest your delicate sensibilities come unraveled.

Cool "umad" post, but it doesn't address the argument that DS3 has few surprises, as if the developers followed a checklist. Boletaria Level, Poison Level, Skeleton Level, Prison Level. Memorable sequels build on the past, and the game makes you think there's going to be a greater subplot when you encounter the abyssal goo phase of Old King Doran, but it never follows through. I wish it was a bolder conclusion to the series.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Chard posted:

He's pretty easy, but his skelly bros can add a lot of challenge for a solo player who can't put out enough damage to break a bracelet before he summons them. Plus if you can't DPS hard enough he'll back you up to a wall and blow clouds at you until you die.

Oh, that might explain it, his bracelets always seem to go down quick. I didn't even know he had pals.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I hope they didn't nerf my Dragonslayer Axe too badly, I love that thing.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I hope they didn't nerf my Dragonslayer Axe too badly, I love that thing.

Same here, love the look and feel of it in this game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

do other japanese companies do patch notes like this

-changed things
-changed other thing
-hello

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is poise back yet.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yes

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

-changed things
-changed other thing
-hello

From is actually just really bad at branch management so they don't know what exactly made it into any given patch either.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RabidWeasel posted:

I hope those patch notes mean increased straight / thrusting sword stam drain and reduced UGS and similarly huge weapon stam drain. The difference in stamina usage between weapon categories is rediculous considering the relatively small difference in damage.

Hell I'd be OK with the lighter weapons staying as spammy as they are, just give me more than 4 attacks with an UGS with 40 end and a Ring of Favour.

Why would you need that many attacks with a ugs unless you're whiffing

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GulagDolls posted:

-changed things
-changed other thing
-hello

Nintendo does

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

GulagDolls posted:

-changed things
-changed other thing
-hello

yes and it's loving infuriating

played FF11 for too many years and every set of patch notes was "adjusted X, adjusted Y, adjusted Z" and pretty much nothing else

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I invaded a guy named jesus in Farron Woods so I decided to go look for him so I could praise and pray at him, but he runs away from me. Yellowfinger Heysel spawns so I move in to protect him like any good disciple, when the host runs off and gets himself killed by one of those feral hollows tied to a crucifix.

I feel like I accidentally took part in some sort of blasphemy.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I'm currently in the Undead Settlement with my Sorcerer and have been making slow but steady progress with a consistent baiting technique. Am I doing this right? I'm not dying much, but holy poo poo does it feel like I'm making slow advancements.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

Hang on, I'll dig out my fax machine from 1982 and ask.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
no buffs to gundyr's halberd, therefore a bad patch.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Atreiden posted:

Yes. Though I think you have to hit it once before throwing the next charm

Nope. I just wait for it to finish yawning and stretching and go back to the normal "waiting to kill you" pose.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why doesnt the Carthus Bloodring say "increases poise"

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

RanKizama posted:

I'm currently in the Undead Settlement with my Sorcerer and have been making slow but steady progress with a consistent baiting technique. Am I doing this right? I'm not dying much, but holy poo poo does it feel like I'm making slow advancements.

Slow and steady is the way to go if it's your first souls game, sorcery is weak as poo poo overall though till you get it really high.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

RanKizama posted:

If you're not dying much and you're progressing, it's cool. Sorcery can be a rocky start.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

RanKizama posted:

If you like magic but aren't particularly attached to sorcery, you can rescue the pyromancer in Undead Settlement and do that instead, it's way better for most of the game.

Whether you do or don't, a raw or fire infused weapon can work wonders to kill things that get close.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

mastershakeman posted:

Why would you need that many attacks with a ugs unless you're whiffing

There isn't much way to zone out 3+ dudes I'm invading at the same time without throwing out some random swings so basically you're correct but that's functionality I need. Also the R2s take an even more rediculous amount of stamina which is where the money really is.

More to the point if you can throw out like 9 straight sword or 7 GS attacks I don't see why the lighter UGS which only have a ~50AR advantage over most GS and even less over the BKGS have to use a good 50%+ more stamina per swing.

Semi related, I have been considering a pyro build using a chaos astora GS and concentrating mostly on flame surge since it seems like a fun variation on the old "massive sword with a fast offhand weapon" strategy, I have absolutely no experience with using pyromancy in DS3 but it seems like this would work based on poo poo I have seen hosts using, any thoughts?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 19, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RanKizama posted:

sorcery is really really really not a great way to play through the game the first time (with an offensive miracle build possibly being the only worse choice). sorcery is great for pvp shenanigans with the support spells and with certain builds you can 1 shot pve bosses with your spells, but the overall experience of playing a pure sorcerer from level 1 up to the point where you become marginally powerful is painful.

you could keep your attribute points where they are at and just use pyro instead of sorcery, which is much more functional, and you're about to find the pyro trainer in the undead town.

if you think you can power through two more areas past the undead town (road of sacrifices > chapel of the deep) you can get to the NPC that will let you respec your attributes, and you can reroll a punchman or whatever. you can actually run thru the road of sacrifices extremely quickly if you don't stop to loot anything and don't go down to the poison part, but if you're playing a first time character that can kind of take the fun out of the experience. you can also run through the chapel very fast once you know what you're looking for, but you'd likely have to watch a speed run or read a wiki if you didn't already know where you're going in there.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Toady posted:

Cool "umad" post, but it doesn't address the argument that DS3 has few surprises, as if the developers followed a checklist. Boletaria Level, Poison Level, Skeleton Level, Prison Level. Memorable sequels build on the past, and the game makes you think there's going to be a greater subplot when you encounter the abyssal goo phase of Old King Doran, but it never follows through. I wish it was a bolder conclusion to the series.

I sort of agree with this, especially with how well delivered an experience Bloodborne was. I don't think DS3 is quite as bad with certain things, like fan service, as some, but it does almost seem like there was a checklist at points. Perhaps, though, the DLC will be as good as the Scholar of the First Sin DLC was.

Also, broadsword charge attack, similarly to the rapier power attack, is surprisingly easy to bait people with. Straight sword thrusts seem to be a bit easier for people to parry, but that's probably because so many use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Five invaders, five caesti and pyro flames.

All is forgiven Dark Sword!