Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The only difference between MoS Superman and other versions of Superman is that MoS Superman can't enter bullet time or otherwise act with super-precision. It's otherwise the same character, and the main difference is in the world he finds himself in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't really recall any other supermen entering bullet time except for Tom Welling

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Johns hires Richard Donner to direct new Superman film, MoS fans scream "Not my Superman!", failing to see irony.

Well, they might have a point. I mean, the Donner Superman and Lois had a good laugh at casually killing Zod, Ursa, and Non. That might be too grimdark for today's comic movie expectations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No, if you laugh and make a quip as you kill them it's OK.

(Though if Bruce said "rubber bullets. Honest" in BvS as the batmobile loving exploded that Jeep it would have been awesome)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Electromax posted:

Well, whatever the standard "other" version that brought people to complain about MoS. My only other exposure to the guy is on Lois and Clark (hehe), that just seems to be the commonly assumed alternate depiction.

I also read Kingdom Come but mostly just admired the artwork.

All of this, plus All-Star-Superman, plus Donner Superman, plus other stuff, is good.

Lois and Clark + Death of Superman is what made me a Superman fan.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

greatn posted:

I don't really recall any other supermen entering bullet time except for Tom Welling

I've definitely seen comic panels of him like, building a supercomputer in a minute or blurring slightly in the middle of a conversation with someone because he zipped away, stopped a crime, and then zipped back into place all between two words in a sentence.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/733331760381972480

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ferrinus posted:

The only difference between MoS Superman and other versions of Superman is that MoS Superman can't enter bullet time or otherwise act with super-precision. It's otherwise the same character, and the main difference is in the world he finds himself in.

He doesn't have the truly insane strength or the cold breath, either.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I keep seeing these photos of superhero costumes or displays, or like props from the movies being used as promo material - What are they? Where are these rooms, what is their day to day function? Are they a one-time setup thing for press events?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Slugworth posted:

I keep seeing these photos of superhero costumes or displays, or like props from the movies being used as promo material - What are they? Where are these rooms, what is their day to day function? Are they a one-time setup thing for press events?

They get setup at junkets, they get housed in displays that people can visit at Universal Studios, they get trotted out for Comic Con or other large conventions.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He doesn't have the truly insane strength or the cold breath, either.

I mean, I guess he doesn't have "actually push the planet earth around" silver age strength, but I feel like most versions of the character don't? It's true about the cold breath, but that's never struck me as significant.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ferrinus posted:

I mean, I guess he doesn't have "actually push the planet earth around" silver age strength, but I feel like most versions of the character don't? It's true about the cold breath, but that's never struck me as significant.

No, they still make it really stupid pretty much constantly.

This is New 52 Superman:

Historically Superman has used his cold breath to safely subdue dangerous people and take them to the police, where they harmlessly thaw out. So it's yet another Daddy Superman safety thing that's off-limits to Cav-El.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
WTF how is Deadpool actually good? This is weirding me out.

It's not very funny, but the anticomedy makes it into a direct sequel to Fight Club.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guys I think SMG's programming is wearing off we need to get him back in the isolation tank

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There's this really interesting subtext throughout, where Pool is characterized as a teenage girl who fights stalkers and it's not really a joke. The alleyway scene's not played for laughs, and Ajax obviously stands in for the Stalker side of Wade's own personality there.

When he gets back up after being stabbed on the head (and hallucinates a unicorn), the scene cuts away from the usual triumphant beatdown to show the barely-characterized teen girl character setting off an enormous explosion. The two characters basically merge together.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
wait, when negasonic teenage warhead turns 20, can she change her name? does she?
or is this a Lil Wayne type thing?
what if she's like 35, an experienced mutant in the academy and they still call her negasonic TEENAGE warhead.
years will pass, that's what they DO

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
She's a second string X-Man. She won't make it to 20.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Negasonic Adult Warhead. NAW.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TheFallenEvincar posted:

wait, when negasonic teenage warhead turns 20, can she change her name? does she?
or is this a Lil Wayne type thing?
what if she's like 35, an experienced mutant in the academy and they still call her negasonic TEENAGE warhead.
years will pass, that's what they DO

Teenagers aren't known for their forethought.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

feedmyleg posted:

Teenagers aren't known for their forethought.
I was gonna suggest there should be a superhero whose power is forethought, then realized that is arguably The Midnighter.

And Batman.

Water Sheep
Jan 6, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

WTF how is Deadpool actually good? This is weirding me out.

It's not very funny, but the anticomedy makes it into a direct sequel to Fight Club.

It's humor is such a blatant defense mechanism for a broken man that it reads as the most sincere movie to come out of any Marvel franchise.

Replace throughout the script "cancer" with "I'm a disgusting person no one could love".

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Marvel has literally just debuted a Deadpool spinoff, Gwenpool, who is actually a teenage girl (and an alternate Gwen Stacy).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/05/19/x-men-apocalypses-jennifer-lawrence-reveals-why-fox-should-be-te/

J-Law saying that she, McAvoy, and Fassbender are a "package deal now."

Holy poo poo can she be any more full of herself?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Scyantific posted:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/05/19/x-men-apocalypses-jennifer-lawrence-reveals-why-fox-should-be-te/

How is she in any way wrong?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Scyantific posted:

What is wrong with you?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If I were her or Fassbender I'd leave that poo poo behind. Lawrence especially, she can probably make more money choosing one project at a time rather than signing on to do two or three more X-Men movies where the special effects budget is gigantic and its an ensemble cast.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Corek posted:

Marvel has literally just debuted a Deadpool spinoff, Gwenpool, who is actually a teenage girl (and an alternate Gwen Stacy).

She's not Gwen Stacey. Her name is Gwen Poole. She's from this Earth!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Lawrence is a mediocre actor coasting off the success of the Hunger Games franchise, if anything she should lock in long-term contracts before her value plummets.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Scyantific posted:

I can't say I'm shocked that this is the initial reaction to a group of actors with leverage engaging in collective bargaining, but I can say it's disappointing

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Did you actually read that or did your knee jerk and hit the post button to quickly?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Crion posted:

I can't say I'm shocked that this is the initial reaction to a group of actors with leverage engaging in collective bargaining, but I can say it's disappointing

I fail to see why this is a controversial thing to say. It's probably exhausting to play the same character that many times in bigass studio genre movies. Their on-set relationship might be a big part of the appeal, so I can see them losing interest without it.

It's not like any of those actors need the money at this point. And they're hardly desperate for work. Why shouldn't they be demanding about the projects they work on?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Wheeee posted:

Lawrence is a mediocre actor coasting off the success of the Hunger Games franchise, if anything she should lock in long-term contracts before her value plummets.

You forgot her coasting off her multiple Oscar nominations as well.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 20, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Buncha haters up in this thread

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Wheeee posted:

Lol looooooooooool

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Scyantific posted:

I'm not sure what the problem with this is?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

You're seriously underestimating the momentum she's got right now. She's like if Daniel Radcliffe had hooked up with Scorsese in the middle of the Harry Potter series and been nominated for multiple Oscars. The money will be rolling in for some time regardless of what she decides to do.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol "coasting on multiple oscar nominations"

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Wheeee posted:

Point and laugh at this man, for he is dumb.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

She is basically the biggest female star in movies right now. Arguably biggest star period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

She is basically the biggest female star in movies right now. Arguably biggest star period.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as THAT

• Locked thread