Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Another Sorcery thing that just came to mind is don't level attunement unless you're levelling it to hit a new slot. Going just short, or just over the attunement needed get a new slot just seems like a huge waste.

Personally for my magic builds a good metric of when I need more slots (beyond 2 - you need at least 2, 3 once you got a 2-slot-spell) is when my ashen estus starts filling a whole mana bar. So when your estus gets good enough, increase your mana. Then you'll catch up with it eventually, then increase it again.

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate to say it but I'm not really feeling my faith build right now.

Faith seems to be built around buffs but maintaining more than one buff during an invasion just doesn't feel viable. Even with a lingering ring they will wear off and you wont have enough mana to recast them multiple times. I can see using one buff, but that leaves the question of what else am I doing with my faith investment? Basically nothing, because all the offensive spells I've gotten are too loving slow to actually use as an invader.

If you guys with your own faith builds can invade properly, I'd like to hear how.

Offensive miracles are garbage. They're the worst they've ever been, and that includes after they nerfed them in Dark Souls 2 and then forgot to un-nerf them. Defensive miracles are okay-ish, but that doesn't really help an invader. I guess the best offensive miracle you could use while invading is Gnaw and better-Gnaw?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I hate to say it but I'm not really feeling my faith build right now.

Faith seems to be built around buffs but maintaining more than one buff during an invasion just doesn't feel viable. Even with a lingering ring they will wear off and you wont have enough mana to recast them multiple times. I can see using one buff, but that leaves the question of what else am I doing with my faith investment? Basically nothing, because all the offensive spells I've gotten are too loving slow to actually use as an invader.

If you guys with your own faith builds can invade properly, I'd like to hear how.

Buddy I can barley play as a faith build, let alone invade as one. I've played every souls game(cept bloodborne) as a cleric and I've never been weaker than I am in this game. Even in Demon's where the only offensive miracle was a 5 second cast I had the BLESSED MACE and kicked rear end with that. Here I'm Garbage.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
about what point does Refined start beating Sharp/Heavy for a Quality build anyways?

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

RanKizama posted:

I'm currently in the Undead Settlement with my Sorcerer and have been making slow but steady progress with a consistent baiting technique. Am I doing this right? I'm not dying much, but holy poo poo does it feel like I'm making slow advancements.

Cheesing enemies from range is going to be your bread and butter until you reach the next area which gives you a spell that lets you break most of the game and cheese from melee.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Seems more like a continuation of a cycle (veteran handing down duties to novice) than pandering.

Half of the NPCs are copy and pasted from other FromSoftware games. I'm glad the series is being put to bed, Bloodborne demonstrated that they still have plenty of great ideas to explore.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Offensive miracles are garbage. They're the worst they've ever been, and that includes after they nerfed them in Dark Souls 2 and then forgot to un-nerf them. Defensive miracles are okay-ish, but that doesn't really help an invader. I guess the best offensive miracle you could use while invading is Gnaw and better-Gnaw?

That's not true at all. The lightning spears, lightning stake, and wog all do fantastic damage. They do require you to stack damage bonuses and have high faith, but that seems to be how they've designed magic to work in this game so :shrug:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do any of them have casting animations that don't take an eternity though? I haven't gotten any lightning spear beyond the basic one.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Genocyber posted:

That's not true at all. The lightning spears, lightning stake, and wog all do fantastic damage. They do require you to stack damage bonuses and have high faith, but that seems to be how they've designed magic to work in this game so :shrug:

I do more damage hitting a dude with a sword once than with lightning spear, and I don't need to stack rings for that. And it also happens faster. And doesn't cost FP.
Or a non-physical comparison, any of the sorceror arrow-line spells do better damage, for better cast time, for less FP.
Hell I'm not sure bow-and-arrow doesn't do more damage if you're specced for it. Which is very interesting now by the way. Bows have a rolling attack!

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 19, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Golden Goat posted:

What does the Dragon Torso Stone do besides make you look ridiculous?

Neuters your defenses (because now you have no armor. And actively gives you negative lightning resist to boot), gives you a useless special attack you can trigger by using the stone as an item that you will never hit with. Technically it gives you a buff when you use said attack, but good luck making use of it, it's pretty short duration.

I was really hoping From would take a page from the beast claws and give us a similar dragon weapon that got a rad moveset when you went full dragaboo with it. Sadly not to be.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

Neuters your defenses (because now you have no armor. And actively gives you negative lightning resist to boot), gives you a useless special attack you can trigger by using the stone as an item that you will never hit with. Technically it gives you a buff when you use said attack, but good luck making use of it, it's pretty short duration.

I was really hoping From would take a page from the beast claws and give us a similar dragon weapon that got a rad moveset when you went full dragaboo with it. Sadly not to be.

Or at least do the DS1 thing and give you bare fists with 400 AR.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The regular stone roar either always breaks guard or does a ton of stamina damage but I never have time to riposte off it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
In the DLC you get 2 new covenant stickers. 1 of them makes dragonskins cool and practical and they have a new look that is not emaciated. The other 1 gives you a blob for a head and improves sorcery and miracles.

Unrelated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucBFyHbR63w

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You know what, Nameless king is entirely optional and I can be happy leaving it be :sigh:

I am highly confident I could get myself through it if I could fight the King himself fresh, but I just have a really bad handle on dealing with two highly distinct phases. And I have poor enough dodging instincts as it is with the camera not making me need to use psychic powers to evade the king's weapon even without lock ons. And my attacks both vertical and horizontal wiffing the dragon's head and neck by a micrometer.

gently caress you, you were stationary breathing fire. Why the gently caress is even a leaping attack launched after I was running in place against your neck "Missing" you when it sweeps through your horns you fucker. Hitboxes are ever my archnemesis, I had to learn Dragon Dad's hitboxes more than his attacks to beat him in the consumed garden. After that it was a simple matter of jousting him to death.

So I'm always down to half estus or so when I beat the dragon, and so I fall short against the King. Because in the first phase no matter how I twist and turn the camera he will always spiral around and launch his spears or swings when he no longer on screen, between me literally rubbing up against the dragon and still, somehow, having my sword swings harmlessly wiff them.

It's so strange because I'm more just disappointed, than anything. When I was fighting the champ, even when I was on the ropes and he was kicking me in the face, I had a handle of what I was doing wrong, what I could do better, could tell what he was going to use. So that made the rematch turn out in my favor, if still low on estus.

Here? I feel in more danger of the hitboxes and camera, and I just suuuuuuck at dealing with those in the first phase. So even though I'm able to chug my estus literally in the King's face without getting hit in the second phase when I really need to, my mere mildly above average self can't hack the back to back.

I'll just take solace in handling the Dancer and Champ reasonably on round two with a Flamberge. Or maybe I'll come back later and Co-Op him to death.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Million Ghosts posted:

about what point does Refined start beating Sharp/Heavy for a Quality build anyways?

For already quality weapons it's around 20/20, for more (read very) specialized weapons I'd like to believe it's around 25/25.
Thing is refined scales well up to 40/40, so pure stat number-wise it's like investing in 80 str/dex, but with much less diminishing returns.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 20, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Section Z posted:

You know what, Nameless king is entirely optional and I can be happy leaving it be :sigh:

What got me through the first phase of Nameless King was realizing that, hey wait a second - he's a loving dragon. What's good against Dragons? Lightning. Something with range, and lightning....no, not a miracle, that'd be silly. Something any chump can use:

The Knights Crossbow. Half Lightning, Half Physical - all Dragon-killing in a can for basically no stat requirement. It doesn't even use exotic upgrade materials. Slap some lightning bolts on that thing and go to town on that flying rear end in a top hat - the lock-on even shoots him right in the head.

Both Crossbow and Bolts sold by Greirat. Crossbow also drops off Lothric Knights (like the Blue one next to the Dancer boss room).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Doubled like a bad DS2 boss.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

What got me through the first phase of Nameless King was realizing that, hey wait a second - he's a loving dragon. What's good against Dragons? Lightning. Something with range, and lightning....no, not a miracle, that'd be silly. Something any chump can use:

The Knights Crossbow. Half Lightning, Half Physical - all Dragon-killing in a can for basically no stat requirement. It doesn't even use exotic upgrade materials. Slap some lightning bolts on that thing and go to town on that flying rear end in a top hat - the lock-on even shoots him right in the head.

Both Crossbow and Bolts sold by Greirat. Crossbow also drops off Lothric Knights (like the Blue one next to the Dancer boss room).

I've had several of those collecting dust in my storage for ages. So I will keep this in mind for later, thanks! :buddy:

He's not going anywhere, and I still have the majority of Lothric Castle to get through (along with finding where poor Greirat ended up :smith:)

I wish I could be consistently good in these games. "Oh hey cool I beat the Dancer and Champ when I actually remembered to ember. That means I'm finally good right :gibs: guess not"

Getting flashbacks to taking out Artorias and Kalameet on the first try, and then getting my poo poo pushed in when I went back to try and farm silver knights for their shield.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Section Z posted:

I am highly confident I could get myself through it if I could fight the King himself fresh, but I just have a really bad handle on dealing with two highly distinct phases. And I have poor enough dodging instincts as it is with the camera not making me need to use psychic powers to evade the king's weapon even without lock ons. And my attacks both vertical and horizontal wiffing the dragon's head and neck by a micrometer.

gently caress you, you were stationary breathing fire. Why the gently caress is even a leaping attack launched after I was running in place against your neck "Missing" you when it sweeps through your horns you fucker. Hitboxes are ever my archnemesis, I had to learn Dragon Dad's hitboxes more than his attacks to beat him in the consumed garden. After that it was a simple matter of jousting him to death.

So I'm always down to half estus or so when I beat the dragon, and so I fall short against the King. Because in the first phase no matter how I twist and turn the camera he will always spiral around and launch his spears or swings when he no longer on screen, between me literally rubbing up against the dragon and still, somehow, having my sword swings harmlessly wiff them.

It's so strange because I'm more just disappointed, than anything. When I was fighting the champ, even when I was on the ropes and he was kicking me in the face, I had a handle of what I was doing wrong, what I could do better, could tell what he was going to use. So that made the rematch turn out in my favor, if still low on estus.

Here? I feel in more danger of the hitboxes and camera, and I just suuuuuuck at dealing with those in the first phase. So even though I'm able to chug my estus literally in the King's face without getting hit in the second phase when I really need to, my mere mildly above average self can't hack the back to back.

I'll just take solace in handling the Dancer and Champ reasonably on round two with a Flamberge. Or maybe I'll come back later and Co-Op him to death.

Alright, I'm not sure I should speak about this because I never managed to beat the second phase. But, there's a trick to the first phase that makes it pretty easy to get through using maybe one or two estus:

Stand in the absolutely stupidest place possible. Don't stand in the smart place under the dragon, don't try to flank it or attack from its blind spot. Stand right in front of its head where the claws and the teeth and the firebreath are. If you're standing right in front of it, it'll basically do one of four things:

1.Launch itself straight up and then breath down. Just run away and run back. You might be able to get one running attack off on its head when it lands.
2.Vault over your head. King might stab at you with the spear after this, so be on your toes. I wouldn't go for the attack after this.
3.Breath fire. Dodge twice towards it and then start slicing at the neck. You should be able to get a bunch of damage while it's doing this, and maybe even stagger it for the riposte.
4.Lower its head so the king can stab at you. Just dodge towards it once and then basically try to slice at the neck, he'll do 1-3 slices but if you're under the neck they shouldn't hit you.

He might do the whole fly in a circle and lightning you at the beginning of the fight, so just try to dodge the lightning bolt and then dodge under him when he comes at you, but after that you should be golden to stay right in front of him.

I got very good at this phase because I stubbornly tried to kill the king over and over in dragonman mode and never managed it. So, good luck.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Million Ghosts posted:

Depends entirely on the weapon, there are weapons which always do more damage as sharp than refined for example (sellsword twinblades, exile GS)

OTOH there are some weapons which do more damage as refined even when you only have the base stats needed to use them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
So over half my level 30 invasions in crucifixion woods are into Gank squads or people speed running to the boss.

Then I got invaded by a parry spammer, who I repeatedly kicked (and could never riposte for some reason), jump attacked , etc and had to wear out their estus because parrying can't be punished well enough. Hitting through one should give counterattack damage at least.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Section Z posted:

For the first phase, always be closing distance with the dragon. I found that staying at range made him use his fire attack a whole bunch and I found that too hard to avoid. For other attacks, I found that dodging towards him tended to work better, especially on the King's melee attacks. After that, the second phase is just a matter of well timed and very careful dodging. I used ricard's rapier and I can remember the shield. I found blocking his attacks basically set me up for getting crushed by a combo. He's very quick, so if you're having trouble I'd also recommend just spending some time watching his attack pattern.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I can't stop laughing at this. It makes me feel like it's the climactic battle at the end of a long movie and one swordsman says something like "So it has come to this. Now, finally, we can match blades in a.." and then the other dudes just swings his stupid magic sword a hundred times and kills him instantly.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Anyone experiencing weird pathing bugs after the patch? Specifically with dog enemies?

Usually, they see me, then vanish, then appear in the air and fall continuously. Here's what it looks like:

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

Section Z posted:

I just took them down solo (anri's sword) last night after 5-6 tries/embers. SO pumped.

The Carthus ring which gives you extra I-Frames is huge. I could dodge through the fire breaths and only take one hit. That ring is neat!

I also wore the best- worst outfit exclusively based on Lightning and Fire resists (35%ish).

Keep at it! :thumbsup:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

mastershakeman posted:

So over half my level 30 invasions in crucifixion woods are into Gank squads or people speed running to the boss.

Then I got invaded by a parry spammer, who I repeatedly kicked (and could never riposte for some reason), jump attacked , etc and had to wear out their estus because parrying can't be punished well enough. Hitting through one should give counterattack damage at least.

What I like to do to parry spammers is do one or two running R1's to fool them into a rhythm, and then I run up to them (they invariably attempt to parry the R1 they see coming) and keep going right to their back and backstab them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

flowinprose posted:

What I like to do to parry spammers is do one or two running R1's to fool them into a rhythm, and then I run up to them (they invariably attempt to parry the R1 they see coming) and keep going right to their back and backstab them.

They would parry and instaroll right after, it was insane. The fact is unless you're running a high crit build yourself you have no ability to reliably punish

I mean imagine missing a dozen parries on mobs

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 20, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Grondoth posted:

Buddy I can barley play as a faith build, let alone invade as one. I've played every souls game(cept bloodborne) as a cleric and I've never been weaker than I am in this game. Even in Demon's where the only offensive miracle was a 5 second cast I had the BLESSED MACE and kicked rear end with that. Here I'm Garbage.

Yeah I'm the same. Starting a Souls game blind with a faith build has been a tradition of mine since Demon's, and for whatever reason - maybe I had a subconscious premonition that it would suck - I rolled a mercenary for DS3 instead of a cleric or herald and didn't look back. DS3's the game that finally broke my fascination with faith builds and got me into barebones quality builds.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I finally started invading today. Pretty good fun. My favorite invade was the mythical lone first time host. He missed the Bon fire before the cathedral and was heading to the roof. Almost felt bad for knocking him to his doom. :darksouls:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

DatonKallandor posted:

Soul Greatsword would be a such a good rat-killer if it had hyperarmor or poise worked.

In DS3 the most dangerous enemies are the grotesquely malnourished dudes who can caper about and spam their lovely broken shivs. Giant fully armored knights w/buffed big weapon? Nah they're slow and you can poise break them with strong language.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

mastershakeman posted:

Curved sword spin attack art can't be parried and comes out fast and can be done directly from a run, roll, etc. so as soon as you see them start to fish for a parry you can just bait them with a roll into their face or similar and spin the poo poo out of them :v:

I cannot stress strongly enough how loving good the sellsword twinblades are at everything, I'm going to be sad when they inevitably get nerfed and probably lose all their ability to chain attacks together.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement guys. I figure I'll regain some confidence and clear more of the main game first before I throw myself back at him, but I WILL be throwing myself back at him before the end.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Curved sword spin attack art can't be parried and comes out fast and can be done directly from a run, roll, etc. so as soon as you see them start to fish for a parry you can just bait them with a roll into their face or similar and spin the poo poo out of them :v:

I cannot stress strongly enough how loving good the sellsword twinblades are at everything, I'm going to be sad when they inevitably get nerfed and probably lose all their ability to chain attacks together.

Demon Fist spin is also really fun in PvP. Especially when you can somehow land the launcher part of it.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Hell I'm not sure bow-and-arrow doesn't do more damage if you're specced for it. Which is very interesting now by the way. Bows have a rolling attack!

bow + arrow definitely does more dps and more damage per shot than anything but sunlight spear (which is gotten from the final boss anyways so its vaguely moot)
also sunlight spear costs a fuckton of FP and still has less DPS while doing about 100-200 more damage with 55 FTH and all rings equipped on a +10 talisman so yeah

this is discounting the melee range bonus of course but then that goes back to the 'why on earth are you standing point blank throwing lightning spears at them when you could cast lightning blade or any of the other three weapon buffs for miracles as to probably outdamage lightning spears by 3x in the same amount of time with way more safety'

GulagDolls posted:

looks viable to me

removed url tags cause i dont know how to not make webm giant

i guess some cheatengine thing got released w/ this because i've been seeing this kinda stuff a whole lot all of a sudden
it's funny seeing a guy float around gesturing shooting forbidden suns like megaman pellets though

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 20, 2016

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Night Blade posted:

Anyone experiencing weird pathing bugs after the patch? Specifically with dog enemies?

Usually, they see me, then vanish, then appear in the air and fall continuously. Here's what it looks like:

Yep, I had a dog land on my head out of nowhere.

He seemed just as surprised by it as I was though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Anyone on PS4 wanna trade for Shackles? We can just invade back n forth with a password. I'm just tryna get my Pyro cheevos. I am 71 by the Pontiff's bonfire

PSN: Monkrocker

Message me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Question: Why is there sometimes a pitchfork undead farmer in the skeleton tunnel near Velka and sometimes there's not?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So I had a thought about the offensive Miracles doing more damage up close and why that is. Now whether it's good or bad is not what I'm discussing because it's absolutely bad right now, what I'm thinking about is all the offensive Miracle users in the lore that I can think of tend to be heavily armoured fighters who get up close and personal anyway. Like Gwyn, Nameless King, Solaire, Seigward and so on and so forth seem to all favour being up close and personal anyway so perhaps that's the secret to playing offensive Miracle user.

Of course without working poise being up close and personal to cast magic is dumb and bad anyway but this is just a thought I had.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

HaB posted:

Anyone on PS4 wanna trade for Shackles? We can just invade back n forth with a password. I'm just tryna get my Pyro cheevos. I am 71 by the Pontiff's bonfire

PSN: Monkrocker

Message me.

I'm down if we can get tongues the same way.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I'm down if we can get tongues the same way.

I can't think of why not. What's the reward for Fingers? miracle or sorcery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HaB posted:

I can't think of why not. What's the reward for Fingers? miracle or sorcery?

They get the obscuring ring at 10 and a worthless catalyst at 30.