Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Night is falling. It is almost time for the rematch of the century (or at least the next couple hours of gameplay). Standing at the foot of my own grave, a reminder of my past humiliation, I look to my pet baby penguin for a pep-talk. It says nothing, and I'm pretty sure it's just following me because it wants my fish anyway. Equipped with palladium armor, a cool-rear end gun, and a yoyo, I await the sunset.

The battle was long and difficult, and I'm kinda glad I made those bat wings because otherwise I would have been totally hosed.

Things got hairy a few times, but eventually I whittled them down...

And I won! So that's one hard mode boss down. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh right another thing that kind of annoyed me was all the recommended weapons I saw for Hardmode required Crimson and my world had Corruption :(

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

Oh right another thing that kind of annoyed me was all the recommended weapons I saw for Hardmode required Crimson and my world had Corruption :(

Go world hopping! Make small worlds until you get a Crimson one and get the weapons you need/want.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Greetings, humans, it is I CJacobs. I am here with my completely normal head and not at all strange bat wings to show you that my flowers have started to grow:

Apparently it just takes a while longer than I thought.

You can plant Daybloom seeds in the planters or regular ground to get them faster. The purple flowers aren't daybloom, they're just weeds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tenebrais posted:

You can plant Daybloom seeds in the planters or regular ground to get them faster. The purple flowers aren't daybloom, they're just weeds.

Oh, I know, I just don't have many seeds right now. Those little sprouts are seeds I planted. Thankfully each harvest brings a bajillion more seeds thanks to the flower-on-a-stick of regrowth or whatever it's called.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah, the only solution is to just "get good" or whatever. Hard mode gets a lot better once you're decked out in a full suit of hard mode armor, and have better weapons. It's also where the game starts to severely punish the "up close and personal" melee playstyle. Ranged, magic, and summoning builds will have a much better time in hard mode than someone swinging a broadsword.
However there are "melee" weapons which are actually ranged, like yo-yos or the Light Discs, and many others, in hardmode.

Having a broadsword on hand is still useful for cutting down vines or similar things.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zereth posted:

However there are "melee" weapons which are actually ranged, like yo-yos or the Light Discs, and many others, in hardmode.

Having a broadsword on hand is still useful for cutting down vines or similar things.

I think this is around the point where swords essentially become ranged weapons and shoot out projectiles. Though if you want to stick with melee, use Yo-yos. They get a lot stronger if you can find the Skeleton Merchant, who sells a Yo-yo glove, which can be used to make a yo-yo bag, which greatly increases the effectiveness of Yo-yos..

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

I think this is around the point where swords essentially become ranged weapons and shoot out projectiles. Though if you want to stick with melee, use Yo-yos. They get a lot stronger if you can find the Skeleton Merchant, who sells a Yo-yo glove, which can be used to make a yo-yo bag, which greatly increases the effectiveness of Yo-yos..

Yo-yos are kinda meh til you get your bag made, though.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Goddamn it you guys, my bases all look like Babby's First Lego Fort compared to the stuff you folks put together. I've just started a new world and I'm going to try and make a sky-fort that doesn't look like total rear end. Wish me luck.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Zombie Guy posted:

Goddamn it you guys, my bases all look like Babby's First Lego Fort compared to the stuff you folks put together. I've just started a new world and I'm going to try and make a sky-fort that doesn't look like total rear end. Wish me luck.

Here, lemme post mine to cheer you up

New 1.3 house

Old Hardmode house.

Oh, the 1.3 one is actually outdated.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 20, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just build an oversized infinite house and call it a day. Don't feel bad if your house looks like poo poo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Is it the souls of sight that you can make the flamethrower with or am I thinking of fright?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

Is it the souls of sight that you can make the flamethrower with or am I thinking of fright?

Fright. Sight is the magic weapons.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

This thread becoming active again inspired me to start another solo run.

I never knew how effective the Aqua Scepter actually was in late early game. :stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

symbolic posted:

This thread becoming active again inspired me to start another solo run.

I never knew how effective the Aqua Scepter actually was in late early game. :stare:

Water bolt is even better.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Starting on a new project. Planning on making it into an ossuary, though I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to do for the upper floors...

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I have been utterly loving unable to find any glowing mushrooms/mushroom biome. Did something change with 1.3 or am i just the most unlucky fucker?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

If we're posting bases, this is the one I made on my bows only run. Not pictured are the mushroom room I made for the shroom dude, and a small wooden hut I made for my guide.

This is probably the best looking thing I've built in this game. It's really hard to build cool looking houses before you get lots of materials. I've consistently tried to make a Japanese castle type building only to give up and default to little wooden communism towers.

EDIT: It's important to note, all those scattered chests are full of random crap. I don't organize anything.

NecroMonster posted:

I have been utterly loving unable to find any glowing mushrooms/mushroom biome. Did something change with 1.3 or am i just the most unlucky fucker?

You're just unlucky. They're all still there as far as I'm aware, though I noticed mine were a bit smaller than normal.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 20, 2016

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Alright, since everyone is sharing bases again, here's my secondary base. You have no idea how many times I needed to summon ther slime king for this.

It's still kind of a work in progress, hopefully as I get trophies and suchlike I can fill in the spaces. This was a brand new character on expert. Still haven't gotten better than crimson gear.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 20, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Tyty posted:

You're just unlucky. They're all still there as far as I'm aware, though I noticed mine were a bit smaller than normal.

Yeah, like, literally right after I came to bitch I found one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Here, lemme post mine to cheer you up

New 1.3 house

Old Hardmode house.

Oh, the 1.3 one is actually outdated.

I like the rooftop terrace thing you have going on with the fences! I am definitely not stealing it for use in my own base :ninja:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: oops, quote is not edit

Wanted to try my hand at a spiral staircase. It turned out pretty well!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

NecroMonster posted:

Yeah, like, literally right after I came to bitch I found one.

There is something magical about these forums, every time I complain about not finding something in them, they magically show up a few moments later.

I think I'll start my own new character and world. Last time I did I tried to do Expert mode but it just wore me down too hard by the time I beat the WoF. I'm not gud nuff. Also my house sucked and I didn't want to rebuild it again because I'm lazy and bad at houses.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh that doesn't sound good

UH OH

SHIIIIT PIIIIIIISSSS

It didn't kill me thanks to my sick demon wings, but I wasn't able to damage it enough before dawn and it flew away and despawned. How the hell am I supposed to kill a boss that has 80,000 health??

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

CJacobs posted:

Oh that doesn't sound good

UH OH

SHIIIIT PIIIIIIISSSS

It didn't kill me thanks to my sick demon wings, but I wasn't able to damage it enough before dawn and it flew away and despawned. How the hell am I supposed to kill a boss that has 80,000 health??

With something that pierces multiple parts. I think I usually kill it with the phasesaber for the first time.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Jusupov posted:

With something that pierces multiple parts. I think I usually kill it with the phasesaber for the first time.

Daedalus Stormbow :allears: a pain to get this early but oh so worth it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jusupov posted:

Oh, I hadn't considered that. I will make sure to prepare myself for future Destroyer appearances in that case.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
If you have enough dart trap blocks you can make a tower of them, build an enclosed room on the top, set them to autofire and laugh because the fight is suddenly incredibly easy.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

King Doom posted:

If you have enough dart trap blocks you can make a tower of them, build an enclosed room on the top, set them to autofire and laugh because the fight is suddenly incredibly easy.

Yeah but that's lame. Real players singlehandedly punch things to death.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Solumin posted:

Daedalus Stormbow :allears: a pain to get this early but oh so worth it.

Yep. Add holy arrows and laugh your rear end off at how fast his bar drains.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zoomed-out view of The CJacobs Home For The Mentally Incompetent. I put a bigass tower because every cool base has a tower. Next I'm gonna build wings off of the sides of the tower to add some more structural integrity and finish up with the NPC living spaces. I also need to make windows for the tower because what is a high-rear end room without a good view?

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
It's worth building a wall to seal off a big chunk of normal terrain around your base first. The crimson/corruption spreads fast, and eventually if it gets close enough it'll make your home uninhabitable.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

King Doom posted:

It's worth building a wall to seal off a big chunk of normal terrain around your base first. The crimson/corruption spreads fast, and eventually if it gets close enough it'll make your home uninhabitable.

Corruption/Crimson only spreads like crazy until you kill your first mechanical boss. That slows it down greatly, and then killing the jungle boss slows it to almost pre-hardmode levels.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
I usually can't be bothered to dig 3-wide shafts or whatever to combat Corruption and just buy some hallowed seeds from the Dryad and turn the base area Hallow pre-emptively. It completely stops Corruption from getting in and has a bonus of having enemies with good loot.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CJacobs posted:

Zoomed-out view of The CJacobs Home For The Mentally Incompetent. I put a bigass tower because every cool base has a tower. Next I'm gonna build wings off of the sides of the tower to add some more structural integrity and finish up with the NPC living spaces. I also need to make windows for the tower because what is a high-rear end room without a good view?

As a fellow tower-dweller, that is a good tower.

Another character of mine, however, has decided to go underground in the best way possible:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

All y'all have fancy bases with towers and gardens and built-in NPC houses. Meanwhile I live in glorified log cabins.

And I like it, dammit.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Oh goodness this all makes me wanna play again!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My very first world way back in 1.1 or whatever had a house I built on the ground. The Hallow hosed it up and clowns, back when they could blow up terrain, blew holes in it. I build a hovering castle directly above it and left the ruined shell below, still with a secret door or two and some mostly-empty chests, and I really liked the abandoned relic look of it. I'll have to see which of my dozen+ worlds has it and if it still loads.

My most recent world I decided gently caress all of that and started off by building a GIANT FUCKOFF SKY PYRAMID out of a harvested pyramid and gold bricks. I more or less randomly divided it into rooms and mirrored it to the other side. This was a multiplayer world with my gf and I, and we got up through the golem before we got distracted.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Xenaero posted:

Oh goodness this all makes me wanna play again!

1.3.1 in 2 days, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spergminer posted:

1.3.1 in 2 days, too.

Oh, cool, I picked a good time to start playing.