Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Granny segments in 2006: Dancing with the Stars Updates
Dave shows in 2016: Dancing with the Stars Updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Dave mentioned that the reason Steph never gets her comeuppance is that she has to appear as this awesome businesswoman because she's basically taking over he company when Vince steps down. Putting a couple of threads together from other observers, it's like this: He could afford to look dumb and get beaten because the stockholders trust him to run it--too much, to the point where they don't trust anyone BUT him to run it. So their reasoning is apparently that Steph has to appear smart in the worked aspect of the business so that stockholders trust her to run the actual business when her father legit steps down.

It's just like...wtf. I feel insane just typing that out.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I stopped being surprised by that kind of mentality when I first heard HHH wouldn't let his character be seen taking a finisher in TV ads for the official games. Vince seems like the only one who didn't mind looking vulnerable (at least for the Austin feud)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Captain Magic posted:

Dave mentioned that the reason Steph never gets her comeuppance is that she has to appear as this awesome businesswoman because she's basically taking over he company when Vince steps down. Putting a couple of threads together from other observers, it's like this: He could afford to look dumb and get beaten because the stockholders trust him to run it--too much, to the point where they don't trust anyone BUT him to run it. So their reasoning is apparently that Steph has to appear smart in the worked aspect of the business so that stockholders trust her to run the actual business when her father legit steps down.

Then why the gently caress isn't she a babyface? She did the job of Babyface Boss Character just fine during her GM of Smackdown run when she was feuding with Obvious Heel Eric Bischoff. I remember her being quite popular in that role actually, which is shocking considering how evil she'd been prior to that. A heel that never gets comeuppance is TV Poison, Vince should know that better than anyone and she should too.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

why not just write her off tv if that's really a problem

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

why not just write her off tv if that's really a problem

But then she would have the problem of not being on TV

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Magic posted:

If there is one thing you can depend on more than the petty vindictiveness of Vince McMahon, it's the short-sighted stupidity of stockholders.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
never forget that there were people who heard about the limo explosion and thought that vince was actually dead

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Captain Magic posted:

I simply don't believe this, and think Dave was editorializing, rather than reporting scoops.

Seven weeks ago, HHH and Steph cut a promo saying the fans have nothing to live for, will lose their house and kids and should commit suicide. HHH and Steph aren't written with stockholders in mind. They don't show rear end because they don't want to.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

mkay0 posted:

Seven weeks ago, HHH and Steph cut a promo saying the fans have nothing to live for, will lose their house and kids and should commit suicide

the stockholders agree with this and are banking on it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mkay0 posted:

Seven weeks ago, HHH and Steph cut a promo saying the fans have nothing to live for

The only honest thing they've ever publicly said

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Episode 7 of Sidewalk Slam up after some computer issues, covering post-Mania Raws to Payback.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ParanoidInc posted:

never forget that there were people who heard about the limo explosion and thought that vince was actually dead

they freaked out when trump bought raw too lol

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Look, the stock holders are not very smart.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

yea ok posted:

they freaked out when trump bought raw too lol

Didn't the stock price legitimately drop the day after they announced trump "bought" the WWE?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Capsaicin posted:

Granny segments in 2006: Dancing with the Stars Updates
Dave shows in 2016: Dancing with the Stars Updates

I love Dave's enthusiasm for DWTS, he treats it so seriously

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

triplexpac posted:

I love Dave's enthusiasm for DWTS, he treats it so seriously
especially his assumption that pvz went on near last because she's a draw

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Onmi posted:

Look, the stock holders are not very smart.
Obviously. They're buying WWE stock.

Though I agree that it was Dave editorializing. Good investors don't buy stocks they're emotionally invested in, and bad investors should be ignored, and the majority of non-Vince stockholders are banks and investment groups, anyway.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Bryan talking about HBK the first black WWE champ is hilarious to me

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Then why the gently caress isn't she a babyface? She did the job of Babyface Boss Character just fine during her GM of Smackdown run when she was feuding with Obvious Heel Eric Bischoff. I remember her being quite popular in that role actually, which is shocking considering how evil she'd been prior to that. A heel that never gets comeuppance is TV Poison, Vince should know that better than anyone and she should too.

Steph was pretty bad as a babyface, because she made it all about how hot she was. Remember that one episode of Smackdown opened with a shot of her rear end in a tight skirt and there was once a whole promo segment devoted to John Cena rapping about wanting to bone her.

sprdelfin
Mar 4, 2005

Let me tell you about the okey-doke.

Gaz-L posted:

Steph was pretty bad as a babyface, because she made it all about how hot she was. Remember that one episode of Smackdown opened with a shot of her rear end in a tight skirt and there was once a whole promo segment devoted to John Cena rapping about wanting to bone her.

This seems better than what she's doing now in basically every possible way.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Just now hearing B&V on Global Wars

worked boobs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

My memory for that period can't get past the (amazing) Smackdown Halloween Special, where they did a skit where Eric Bischoff showed up in a Vince McMahon mask and then made out with Stephanie :stare:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Observer is out and Dave didn't even cover Zandig's return.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MassRafTer posted:

Observer is out and Dave didn't even cover Zandig's return.
Dave fears Ultraviolence

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Dave fears Ultraviolence

Yet somehow EVOLVE and its twenty fans deserve coverage.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mkay0 posted:

I simply don't believe this, and think Dave was editorializing, rather than reporting scoops.

Seven weeks ago, HHH and Steph cut a promo saying the fans have nothing to live for, will lose their house and kids and should commit suicide. HHH and Steph aren't written with stockholders in mind. They don't show rear end because they don't want to.

The real question is did HHH just kill a WM main event on purpose or via ineptitude?

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

coconono posted:

The real question is did HHH just kill a WM main event on purpose or via ineptitude?

I believe it can be both. Wanting to make Roman not look amazing so later he can say he flounders, why did Vince pick him; but also not understanding what an audience wants in a main event match sounds very him.

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Wazzu posted:

I believe it can be both. Wanting to make Roman not look amazing so later he can say he flounders, why did Vince pick him; but also not understanding what an audience wants in a main event match sounds very him.

Didn't Meltzer say that Triple H wanted Reigns as the guy? and Vince wanted to pick Big E as the next guy?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Look at some of his stuff with Shawn Michaels. HHH thinks long ponderous "epics" are what makes for a good match, and maybe sometimes he's right, but sometimes the best choice for all concerned is to let the energetic baby-face squash the heel. Though I can understand why he in particular might feel a bit triggered when that idea is mentioned.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

WadeBartender posted:

Didn't Meltzer say that Triple H wanted Reigns as the guy? and Vince wanted to pick Big E as the next guy?

Vince would give what was left of his soul to combine the looks of Reigns with the everything else of Big E

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

remusclaw posted:

Look at some of his stuff with Shawn Michaels. HHH thinks long ponderous "epics" are what makes for a good match, and maybe sometimes he's right, but sometimes the best choice for all concerned is to let the energetic baby-face squash the heel. Though I can understand why he in particular might feel a bit triggered when that idea is mentioned.

I think that awful match was HHH's idea of great. He was wrong.

Reigns is both Vince and HHH's guy. HHH actually thought he was doing good by Reigns by putting on that snooze fest with him. Somehow, every time Vince or HHH get anywhere near Reigns, they make him worse.

And while I adore Big E, when he started on the main roster he was injuring himself and others quite a bit and was kind of a lousy promo. Anyone remember his IC run? He was almost entirely forgettable, except for his PPV match against Rusev where he did awesome USA promos, before his New Day run.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
"gently caress the New Day" - D. Meltzer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rodney the Piper posted:

"gently caress the New Day" - D. Meltzer

Dave: How long do you think it would take America Alpha...
Bryan: A week.
Dave: Not to get over, but to be ready for the championship.
Bryan: Oh! Well in that case.... two weeks.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

Dave: How long do you think it would take America Alpha...
Bryan: A week.
Dave: Not to get over, but to be ready for the championship.
Bryan: Oh! Well in that case.... two weeks.

What they need to do is call up Revival because they're the best heel tag team in years. They may be the only team on either roster than can actually get heat with WWE's audience.

They're not so entertaining its impossible to dislike them, they're not so underpushed that the audience will refuse to dislike them when they find success, they're not indy darlings the audience wants to succeed and thus will cheer relentlessly, and they're not such jobbers that they'll have no credibility if they start winning out of nowhere.

Let Alpha run with the belts for 6-7 months in NXT while Revival tears apart the New Day without a shred of mercy or remorse and then brag about it relentlessly. They'll actually be boo'd and people will WANT to see someone beat them. Crazy, right?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Sanguinia posted:

Let Alpha run with the belts for 6-7 months in NXT while Revival tears apart the New Day without a shred of mercy or remorse and then brag about it relentlessly. They'll actually be boo'd and people will WANT to see someone beat them. Crazy, right?

This would be amazing and I hope it happens.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sanguinia posted:

What they need to do is call up Revival because they're the best heel tag team in years. They may be the only team on either roster than can actually get heat with WWE's audience.

They're not so entertaining its impossible to dislike them, they're not so underpushed that the audience will refuse to dislike them when they find success, they're not indy darlings the audience wants to succeed and thus will cheer relentlessly, and they're not such jobbers that they'll have no credibility if they start winning out of nowhere.

Please give them a new name first.

Definitely not their old name either.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Just call 'em SAY YEAH

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

AlmightyPants posted:

I think that awful match was HHH's idea of great. He was wrong.

Reigns is both Vince and HHH's guy. HHH actually thought he was doing good by Reigns by putting on that snooze fest with him. Somehow, every time Vince or HHH get anywhere near Reigns, they make him worse.

It seemed like HHH wanted a match sort of like Punk/Cena in Chicago at MITB, where the crowd would come in obviously crazy anti-Cena but, due to great wrestling, would slowly be won over to his side a little bit.

The problem is that Cena and Punk are/were world class wrestlers who can be explosive and sympathetic enough to make that happen. HHH is too methodical for that sort of match and works as a better opponent than a competitor, if that makes any sense, and Reigns just plain isn't good/seasoned enough to make that work (though I think he's pretty capable as a wrestler overall).

Anyway I think HHH isn't as stubborn as Vince and realized he was wrong about Reigns a while ago and was trying to do the best he knew how. You can look at NXT and see the willingness to drop guys or rework them when they're not working at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Captain Magic posted:

It seemed like HHH wanted a match sort of like Punk/Cena in Chicago at MITB, where the crowd would come in obviously crazy anti-Cena but, due to great wrestling, would slowly be won over to his side a little bit.

The problem is that Cena and Punk are/were world class wrestlers who can be explosive and sympathetic enough to make that happen. HHH is too methodical for that sort of match and works as a better opponent than a competitor, if that makes any sense, and Reigns just plain isn't good/seasoned enough to make that work (though I think he's pretty capable as a wrestler overall).

HHH also isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is, especially at this stage of his career, and he hasn't been able to carry lesser/more limited workers in over 10 years.

• Locked thread