Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

President Ark posted:

does BFSR have any machines that can pull bodies of liquid out of the world and into containers/machines/tanks/etc

got some lakes of sewage around my base i'd like to get rid of

Haven't played it, but looking at the modlist, try the Mekanism 'pump'. Requires pretty low power, should be pretty easily made if the recipe hasn't been tweaked. It's finicky about which side is power (usually gets placed facing away from you) and which is the pump (top) but it works pretty well once it gets going if you get past the original placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Um, is there a minecraft mod that does kinda what Mystcraft does, except it puts you straight up in a new Minecraft world without having to "create" the world through pages and stuff?

Basically I want to start a new map, but still have access to all my stuff in my one save, and I dont know how to use MC Edit to like, bring that chunk over - and I dont really want to straight up start over or have to use NEI to try and spawn in items that I used to have. Mainly because I had a big Pams Harvestcraft farm, and a cow farm and I dont really want to have to re-build all of that. I have BiomesXL, Highlands, and BiomesOplenty and I like BiomesOPLenty's biomes more than BiomesXL - I selected BiomesOplenty in the world creation and spawned in a vanilla field and started building but as I am exploring, Im not spawning any BiomesOpently biomes, which I wanted to move my base to, and just teleport back and forth for my farm stuff. I would just start a new world if i could easily teleport to and from my old one.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Meskhenet posted:

cant you get a sword with 100% beheading?

Maybe, theoretically. I'd have to level a sword up a hell of a lot to get enough modifier slots though. Maybe I can figure out which materials are easy to level up.

Fighting skeletons at melee range is a nightmare anyway. Maybe I should try and find/build a spawner.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm assuming 1.9 is not a version to have if I want to mod the gently caress out of this game?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

President Ark posted:

does BFSR have any machines that can pull bodies of liquid out of the world and into containers/machines/tanks/etc

I don't know anything about the aforementioned Mekanism pump, but I suspect the Endothermic pump should work.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't know anything about the aforementioned Mekanism pump, but I suspect the Endothermic pump should work.
That generally only works in the nether unless you have that set differently in the configs.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Anyone doing SkyFactory 2.5 know what machine/mod to use to auto harvest & replant Magic Crops? I know from listening to Wyld's development that some of the mods don't work with it, intentionally.

voltcatfish posted:

I'm assuming 1.9 is not a version to have if I want to mod the gently caress out of this game?

If you get the FTB launcher, it automatically uses the proper version of Minecraft for the modpack you select. It's very painless.

And yes, 1.9 was such a dramatic change in back-end stuff that most mods have not caught up with it yet.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

President Ark posted:

please leave my posting alone

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

please leave my posting alone

stop leaving your posts all over the frozen tundra, then

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ImpactVector posted:

That generally only works in the nether unless you have that set differently in the configs.
Hmm. First I heard of it. I thought I used to use it to zap up molten this or that in alternate dimensions.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Devoyniche posted:

Um, is there a minecraft mod that does kinda what Mystcraft does, except it puts you straight up in a new Minecraft world without having to "create" the world through pages and stuff?

Basically I want to start a new map, but still have access to all my stuff in my one save, and I dont know how to use MC Edit to like, bring that chunk over - and I dont really want to straight up start over or have to use NEI to try and spawn in items that I used to have. Mainly because I had a big Pams Harvestcraft farm, and a cow farm and I dont really want to have to re-build all of that. I have BiomesXL, Highlands, and BiomesOplenty and I like BiomesOPLenty's biomes more than BiomesXL - I selected BiomesOplenty in the world creation and spawned in a vanilla field and started building but as I am exploring, Im not spawning any BiomesOpently biomes, which I wanted to move my base to, and just teleport back and forth for my farm stuff. I would just start a new world if i could easily teleport to and from my old one.

That stuff might all be compatible with AE2 spatial IO. You could store all of it, wipe the overworld to regenerate it, then pop it back out of the storage cell into your new world.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

Devoyniche posted:

RFTools is a more intuitive and tech alternative to Mystcraft, but I'm not sure if it can generate a world identical to the Overworld and you'd have to spawn in the required dimlets. You could probably do some save file fuckery to replace The End or Nether with your Overworld temporarily and then generate a new Overworld.

What I'd do is not MCEdit but WorldEdit. It's a tiny mod you slap into your mods folder that adds a ton of useful chunk and block handling commands and I add it to all modpacks I play.

First make sure cheats are on, which you can open to LAN in the menu and turn cheats on that way or NBTExplorer your savefile, then use "//wand" with those double slashes and an open hand to get a Wooden Axe which WorldEdit gives special powers. Left click one corner of the area you want to copy with the axe, right click the opposite corner, "//expand vert" to expand your selection to bedrock and the sky or alternatively you can left click a bottom corner and a top corner if you don't want to copy all the dirt and stone and bedrock but this usually requires building a scaffolding around the area.

You should be getting text feedback from the mod in the chat window for all these commands.

Now that you've got the area selected, "//copy" puts it in a virtual clipboard and remembers where you were in relation to the selection when you copied it, "//schematic save poopbutts" to save the clipboard to a file so you can load it later. DO NOT DELETE YOUR SAVE YET.

If you wanted to keep your save and only wipe and regen the overworld then just delete the overworld save files (I have no idea where these are in singleplayer, I'm sorry. hopefully someone else can chime in. please make a backup) at this point and load the save back up to generate your new overworld and then follow the instructions below the next paragraph.

If you instead wanted to start an entirely new save, do so. Don't forget to copy over your Thaumcraft progress and such to the new save.

Find where you want to paste and use "//schematic load poopbutts" and "//paste" and it'll dump it with the same relative location to you as when you copied it and the same rotation relative to the world.

Now you can delete the old save if you want to, but there's no harm keeping it around for a while to make sure you got your Thaumcraft and AM2 progress and everything copied over.

http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/WorldEdit/Selection
http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/WorldEdit/Clipboard
Those two links go over the commands I've listed and more detail of how they work and also instruct you on more accurate selections or rotating the copy before pasting.

This is all done with the wooden axe and through chat commands so there's no real visual feedback on your selection or anything. There is a mod out there that extends WorldEdit to show selections but I don't believe it's by the same people and I've never tried it.

I've used this to copy my entire area between saves with a very very similar set of mods and it stores everything inside your chests though sometimes they'll seem to explode but should still be properly saved and copies complex entities like golems just fine. It does not do well with multiblock structures such as Thaumcraft Infusion Altars, you'll have to completely bust those up and rebuild them. If you use the rotate functions it doesn't actually rotate the blocks themselves, just moves them to where they should be in the new rotation, so you'll end up with backwards signs and stuff but it's all fairly straightforward to break and replace.

Good luck.

e: a dozen edits for tons of clarification and wording and fixing confusing use of the word "world" and straight up wrong information I'm dumb today

Sloane fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 20, 2016

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Wolfsbane posted:

On a related note, does anyone know of a trick for getting nether stars in that pack? I could kill a wither, but the only way to get wither skeleton skulls involves using regular skeleton skulls, and there's no way I'm collecting 24 of those.

In case anyone else has the same problem, the solution is that cursed earth spawns wither skeletons. I found this out by building a cursed earth spawner in order to produce mob essence to power the skeleton spawner I built first.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Wolfsbane posted:

In case anyone else has the same problem, the solution is that cursed earth spawns wither skeletons. I found this out by building a cursed earth spawner in order to produce mob essence to power the skeleton spawner I built first.

Wait, cursed earth spawns wither skeletons in any dimension? I'll have to keep that in mind.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I thought you had to put witch water down to get wither skeletons out of cursed earth?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Well you can put a normal skeleton spawner (ie, via a diamond dolly in Jabba, via a translocator (blood magic) or whatever your preferred method is) into the nether and it'll spawn mostly wither skeletons.

In my current world my spawner does occasionally make a wither skeleton despite being in the overworld, and part of it has cursed earth, but I don't feel like (low numbers) it's doing it anywhere remotely near 'often' based on the drops.

(It's my laziest/worst spawner I've ever made, since it's just cursed earth + a bunch of dolly'd monster spawners for skeletons, spiders, and zombies)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A regular skeleton spawner in the Nether will produce mostly wither skeletons, but a few regulars. If you have diamond dollies, cardboard foxes, translocators, etc. or even Draconic Evolution you'll be good.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
would a MFR auto-spawner set to spawn inexact copies of skeletons work

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

botania also has an end-tech-tree version that requires gaia spirits and breaks after one use

and a thing to make the spawner run while no one is nearby too

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

an MFR spawner works with it set to an EXACT copy of a safari netted wither skeleton

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Devor posted:

Anyone doing SkyFactory 2.5 know what machine/mod to use to auto harvest & replant Magic Crops? I know from listening to Wyld's development that some of the mods don't work with it, intentionally.

If you get the FTB launcher, it automatically uses the proper version of Minecraft for the modpack you select. It's very painless.

And yes, 1.9 was such a dramatic change in back-end stuff that most mods have not caught up with it yet.

I think, really thinking here that it was the ender io farm station that i planted my magic crops on. BUT, if it was, i went into the config files and changed a few things. (I changed so that they werent uprooted at harvest, i changed that they gave a seed 100% of the time, and i changed that they stopped causing damage when walked over.)

As for getting all the ender stuff, my mob farm gave me pretty much unlimited alloys.

And i got the mega rubber tree from a bag and planted it (not knowing what a clusterfuck that would be)

I have a question though. Nearly every game i play, as soon as i turn on my MRF harvester i get lag.. is there any way to stop that?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hey so if anyone is still looking for timesink modpacks, you might want to look up this thing called Divergence: Beyond Reality on the ATLauncher.

It's apparently an attempt at making a "realism" modpack that also has loads of crazy poo poo in it and tries to strike a balance somewhere between Gregtech and TerrafirmaCraft.
Like many packs it seems grindy and a lot of basic mechanics are slowed down (unsupported rocks crumble, carrying weight limit, normal tools don't mine so you need TiCon, and a kind of tech-research feature), but it also has a lot of really interesting and unique upsides to it.

Some highlights:
  • Ore distribution is gregtech-style, which New Horizons players are familiar with. Huge deposits and rare, scattered single blocks of ore. The big deposits are huge because each block can be mined multiple times before depleting. However, unlike Gregtech, there are indicators on the surface to let you know roughly where large deposits are, like people in this very thread (myself included) had said would be a good solution to the problem. Rare flowers, each type linked to a kind of ore deposit, can grow on the surface, and bonemealing grass will create these flowers in higher density the closer you are to a sizeable deposit.
  • Lots of multiblock mechanisms, including millstones, sluices for ore, etc.
  • Food preservation like in TFC.
  • Farming crops is (if you pursue it to its extent) hugely involved now. The game has seasons, temperatures/humidities rise and fall and can be monitored. Snow falls in moderate climes in the winter. Crops grow faster in ideal conditions, greenhouses can help regulate these conditions and have a huge benefit in more extreme climates.
  • Animals take longer to rear and require more food to breed, but also drop far more resources, so early game leather armor is actually viable, as intended, and sheep drop more wool when killed so you can get your first bed easily enough. Leather has to be tanned and cured on drying racks.
  • Jetpacks, Thaumcraft, Immersive Engineering, and some other mods I generally wouldn't expect in a pack like this.
  • HQM is used as a "research" book to unlock tech and magic abilities.
The whole thing is based on a pretty heavy HQM progression and even comes with a huge, intricate home base filled with locked chambers and rooms that open up once you've completed certain quests. It's a very nice looking pack. It also comes with Chromacraft which I've never touched before but looks pretty involved.

My biggest complaint so far is that it runs like crap on my machine but at this point I'm used to painfully low framerates in Minecraft. :sigh:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

There needs to be a launcher launcher, so that all the different launchers can be launched from a single place!

I will give this divergence one a go for a bit and see. (after i dl the launcher and the pack)

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

Sounds pretty cool but what's up with ATLauncher? I use MultiMC and tend to download modpacks off github or curse's website if possible but then I encountered some things only on Technic so I had to install that launcher and then likewise for FTB so I had to install that launcher and now I find ATLauncher is still in use and Curse is maybe doing a launcher? Aaaagh.

As for the low framerates, I've seen you around this thread a lot so you might already know about them but I run Fastcraft and BetterFPS because OptiFine was actually lowering my performance and the really big thing that completely removed lag and stuttering for me was turning mipmapping off.

I keep wanting to get into Immersive Engineering but I always seem to find some other preferred way to do something. It also cuts my FPS in half when I'm near an area with a lot of IE wires.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

an MFR spawner works with it set to an EXACT copy of a safari netted wither skeleton

Yeah this is by far my preferred way of getting wither skeletons. If you make a good spawner room with an MFR Grinder in front of it, it will spit out easily enough mob essence to supply a spawner making wither skeletons. It's really nice!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I got the at launcher and divergence pack but it's giving me this message

you are running java 8 and need to use the JVM argument '-XX:+UseG1GC' or you will suffer memory allocation-related crashes blah blah blah...

WTF does this mean?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

lot of basic mechanics are slowed down (unsupported rocks crumble, carrying weight limit, normal tools don't mine so you need TiCon, and a kind of tech-research feature)

This isn't a slow down thing, it's a "stop using vanilla tools you dingus" feature. Forcing people to use TiCon tools is like making someone stop hitting themselves in the face.

Source: first time I encountered TiCon I refused to use it because it seemed too hard, then my friend handed me a Cobalt Hammer with Repair 3 and as much Fortune as possible on it and a pair of Haste-maxed gloves and told me to stop being a moron and use real people tools. I basically won't play non-TiCon packs anymore because it's such a better system than vanilla tools.

Honestly, vanilla should integrate TiCon toolmaking as a standard feature because it is 1000% better than vanilla tools. Tinker's Construct is probably my favorite mod in existence at this point.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

And what is with the tinkers basics being locked? I cant make a pattern chest or a tool station. And the vanilla tools dont do anything.

So ive made all the parts for basic tools, i just cant put them together? Cant say im having fun yet.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Magres posted:

Honestly, vanilla should integrate TiCon toolmaking as a standard feature because it is 1000% better than vanilla tools. Tinker's Construct is probably my favorite mod in existence at this point.

Ugh. Dear sweet god no. TiCon is overpowered as all hell and invalidates every other tool in existence when it's in a pack - even tools from other mods. I wish packs would stop leaning on it so hard as the One True Toolset.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Serifina posted:

Ugh. Dear sweet god no. TiCon is overpowered as all hell and invalidates every other tool in existence when it's in a pack - even tools from other mods. I wish packs would stop leaning on it so hard as the One True Toolset.

Balance problems are readily fixable in a game like Minecraft, bad mechanics aren't. Having an interesting, modular tool system is so much better than vanilla tools.

Also its high end tools are generally on par with other mods' high end cools. Cobalt hasted repairing luck hammer vs Enchanted Terra Shatterer, the Terra Shatterer wins. If you limit TiCon to entirely vanilla materials (and don't allow mossballs) it's pretty reasonable compared to vanilla stuff.

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 20, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/phain-game-board-of-the-ancients-6000-x-6000-multiple-biomes-survival-map-923-plots-theme---hexagons/

i really wish there was an adventure modpack based around this now

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Jesus christ

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CuddlyZombie posted:

Jesus christ

i know, right? it would be perfect for a big, sweeping adventurepack where the player has to take out 4 giant bosses, one for each zone or something. would also allow for a lot of room for a handful of players to spread out.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Magres posted:

Balance problems are readily fixable in a game like Minecraft, bad mechanics aren't. Having an interesting, modular tool system is so much better than vanilla tools.

Also its high end tools are generally on par with other mods' high end cools. Cobalt hasted repairing luck hammer vs Enchanted Terra Shatterer, the Terra Shatterer wins. If you limit TiCon to entirely vanilla materials (and don't allow mossballs) it's pretty reasonable compared to vanilla stuff.

The current Minecraft mechanics aren't bad, unless you consider tools breaking entirely to be bad (and, well, I don't know what to say to that), particularly with the changes to enchanting introduced in 1.8. Meanwhile, Tinker's doesn't work with the system, it completely ignores it and uses the ever-favorite system of dumping stacks of resources into things for improvements (which I do consider to be a bad mechanic in general). Tinker's weapons, in particular, are extremely strong, particularly in ranged, even with just standard materials and not stuff from ExtraTiC. Other mod weapons only are useful in comparison if they have a unique ability (basically just the Terra Blade and it's variants, in other words). There are very few mod tools that can match or beat Tinker's tools, and they require typically much more investment in time, infrastructure, or risk (high rank Terra Shattered, aka A rank or better, requires insane amounts of Mana, and the Bound tools from Blood Magic require either you being drat careful about your soul network - or you risk death).

Tinker's tools are extremely easy to make and upgrade to ridiculously good stats. They require the barest level of infrastructure and use stacks of common materials to be upgraded (lapis, redstone, and quartz are all easy to gather in large quantities).

In another game, I'd be all over them - I generally like the design and implementation - but they don't fit with Minecraft in general and 99% of the time, if TiC is in a pack, other tools and weapons simply don't exist.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

President Ark posted:

In the Nether a normal Skelly spawner will spawn wither skellys

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

bbcisdabomb posted:

Wait, cursed earth spawns wither skeletons in any dimension? I'll have to keep that in mind.

All I can say for certain is that it spawns them in the cave dimension. It's also pretty terrifying to use in a modpack where zombies can mine, and creepers explode even if they can't see you.

Meskhenet posted:

And what is with the tinkers basics being locked? I cant make a pattern chest or a tool station. And the vanilla tools dont do anything.

So ive made all the parts for basic tools, i just cant put them together? Cant say im having fun yet.

I played around with that pack a while back, but I never quite figured out the mechanics. Doing quests causes the doors in the temple thing to open, and clicking on the chair inside unlocks recipes, which is how you get all the basic stuff like tinkers tools and the mining gear. Beyond that there's some sort of research system, but I couldn't seem to make it do anything.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I tried a new game of it. And it was 100% unplayable due to lag.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Serifina posted:

In another game, I'd be all over them - I generally like the design and implementation - but they don't fit with Minecraft in general and 99% of the time, if TiC is in a pack, other tools and weapons simply don't exist.

I agree I think, I much prefer having a wide variety of materials to make tools out of. The problem with Minecraft really is that it has its tiers, and that's it. Sure enchantments add a bit, but even including mods you typically just get higher tiers or electric things.

What I'd really personally like to see, is something more like Dwarf Fortress, where materials are really really spread out, but vary much more. Like, say you're in an area with a lot of silver, but not much iron. It'd be much better for you to make heavy blunt weapons than slashing weapons like swords. You'd have two-handers that swing slower but like heavy sharp materials. Things like that, where what you have access to defines your playstyle, not simply gating your access.

Unfortunately since so many mods, and minecraft itself, are so reliant on that iron -> diamond progression I don't think this will really ever happen. Alloys and ticon are a nice simulation, but everything boils down to the same strong weapons with the same things slapped on them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

okay so how do you actually use this atlauncher thing, i click on "new instance" for the divergence pack and nothing happens

restarting fixed it :iiam:

e: trip report: opening the quest book takes two minutes from click to open, every single time, so does accepting a reward

digging sand with the shovel i got does nothing, it just breaks the block and doesn't give me any sand

into the garbage divergence goes

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Haha, and breaking a block with the wrong tool makes it just come back :p

Yeah its sooooooooooooo laggy its unplayable