Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alright time to look at my sweet crescent axe buff- huh?

quote:

I assume From mistook Crescent Axe for Black Knight Greataxe. Good job, guys.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright time to look at my sweet crescent axe buff- huh?

:negative:

same

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NO! Not the BKGA!!! Im so mad!!! I loved to fuckin roll around as a dragon, swinging that thing at peeps, just demolishing them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Were Gank squads this prevalent in past games? I'm getting really frustrated.

edit-this is stupid, i've been trying to pvp at level 30 w/ actual gear you'd have at that point and it's nonstop people with endgame stuff. Once in 20 times there's a fun purple but its usually just gank squads with dragonslayer greataxes that resummon each other after I kill them, let alone the issue of 3 estus flask at +1 vs their 15 at +10.

I don't think matchmaking specifically prioritized invasions on people who had already summoned before, has it? If it's not gank squads it's people who summoned for the boss or just to clear the level.

A big part of it is it's almost impossible to get invaded while playing solo outside of a couple specific areas, in my experience.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a way to make yourself more prone to random player invasions? That's my favorite form of PvP in souls games. Gank squads have soured invading for me, but if one dude wants to invade me that's cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a way to make yourself more prone to random player invasions? That's my favorite form of PvP in souls games. Gank squads have soured invading for me, but if one dude wants to invade me that's cool.

Yep. Grab the Dried Finger item from the Shrine Handmaid and use it. It basically makes you a beacon for invasions (also lets you summon an extra phantom in return). It's reusable so you can use it every time you enter a new area or die and respawn to keep the effect going.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Wildtortilla posted:

Dried Finger, my friend

edit: beaten like the Anor Londo giant long ago

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It makes it so you can be invaded by multiple phantoms though so you'll just end up on the other side of a gank.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Jap darksouls movies are loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1-E0q07544

So is he just the host? Yet he gets embers and stuff?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

NO! Not the BKGA!!! Im so mad!!! I loved to fuckin roll around as a dragon, swinging that thing at peeps, just demolishing them.

yea nerfing that sucks so much. the stamina cost increase moreso than the damage, because even with like 30 end you'd still only get like 3-4 swings

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

So is he just the host? Yet he gets embers and stuff?

no he is using a ring that makes him look like the host. he is invading people.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Fereydun posted:

also holy poo poo detective conan has a villain whose ability is just 'is painted black' ahahaha

Nah, that's "The Suspect," who acts as a generic stand-in whenever Conan is trying to figure out how a crime works.

Source: I have a friend that really liked Detective Conan when he was younger

that friend is me, please send help

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It was a really good weapon. Hopefully this doesn't hurt it too bad.

Will they come for Raw rear end next?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hahaha you think From is going to touch straight swords? :shepface:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Internet Kraken posted:

Hahaha you think From is going to touch straight swords? :shepface:

They won't touch straight swords or katanas. I don't think that's ever happened, but I could be wrong.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Vanderdeath posted:

Nah, that's "The Suspect," who acts as a generic stand-in whenever Conan is trying to figure out how a crime works.

Source: I have a friend that really liked Detective Conan when he was younger

that friend is me, please send help

I thought it was just what Japanese pictures all black people as, generic violent criminals.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

They won't touch straight swords or katanas. I don't think that's ever happened, but I could be wrong.

the changed the darkdrift, which is a katana

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

they just nerfed washing pole and buffed darkdrift.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You know what sucks? If you put a Dark infusion on a Dark Sword, you get a Reinforced Dark Sword. I wanted a Dark Dark Sword. :(

Also goodness Lothric marriages are intense.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

edit-this is stupid, i've been trying to pvp at level 30 w/ actual gear you'd have at that point and it's nonstop people with endgame stuff. Once in 20 times there's a fun purple but its usually just gank squads with dragonslayer greataxes that resummon each other after I kill them, let alone the issue of 3 estus flask at +1 vs their 15 at +10.

It gets pretty old, but satisfying once you manage to beat these parry fishing dbags. I found a guy laster night at (Me = level 30 with a +1 weapon) with Twin Axes + Darkmoon Blade weapon buff.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

You didn't have passwords and the game didn't try to always put you in a world with 2+ phantoms in it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah super low-level invades are really terrible. I had a lot better luck at ~50 invading Cathedral of the Deep and Carthus Catacombs. You still run into the occasional twinker and gank squads but at that point in the game you can be toting ten +5 Estus and some mid-level upgrades on weapons, so you're a little better armed against that bullshit.

e:
vvv
Welcome to Dark Souls 3 invasions, where invaders are heavily weighted to hosts that have cooperators.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Uh oh, every time (5 times) I've tried invading the host has had two friends at their side. This isn't a lot of fun. :(

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

Well there was that one time when dark souls 2 katanas were generally overpowered in PvP and they responded by buffing them

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
What buffs magic damage and what buffs sorcery? MLGS+5 went from 242+129 to 238+203 magic damage at 60 int in 1.07

I know I can throw on magic clutch for 15% more. Anything else stack? Dusk Crown?

Hackan Slash fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 20, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Smol posted:

Uh oh, every time (5 times) I've tried invading the host has had two friends at their side. This isn't a lot of fun. :(

If you invade in catacombs you can use the skeleball/bridge/other environmental factors to help you IF the squad is willing to leave the bonfire area.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the deal with the lucerne? I've never beaten it in pvp. It seems really hard to roll out of its overhead swing and it does pretty decent damage. Am I supposed to just parry it?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Internet Kraken posted:

Forbidden sun is a PvP spell, where the fast projectile speed is actually useful. Great chaos fireball is still just as good though as the lingering lava pool can gently caress with dodging.

Is this one of those things where people refuse to call something what it is and call it something else because of their headcanon or because they're trapped in a time warp and can't let go? I'm not seeing Forbidden Sun in either of the wikis.

double nine posted:

is steam dark souls down for anyone else?

Yeah it's been down for weeks, apparently. There are third party tools you can use but they only connect to specific people, so no invasions, just duels, and you have to know who the person is.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Is this one of those things where people refuse to call something what it is and call it something else because of their headcanon or because they're trapped in a time warp and can't let go? I'm not seeing Forbidden Sun in either of the wikis.

It's "this spell was in dark souls 2 and was called Forbidden Sun then" They're talking about Chaos Bed Vestiges.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the deal with the lucerne? I've never beaten it in pvp. It seems really hard to roll out of its overhead swing and it does pretty decent damage. Am I supposed to just parry it?

Hardly, it swings kinda slow. All pole arm weapons in this game rely on zoning and baiting mistakes. If you can stay on top of them and get in hits between swings, you should win handedly. The last place they really want you is right beside them.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

VulgarandStupid posted:

I thought it was just what Japanese pictures all black people as, generic violent criminals.

I'd rather be portrayed as a literal black person than some of their other portrayals so that's a plus

Kild posted:

they just nerfed washing pole and buffed darkdrift.

Oh, that's surprising because..

Digirat posted:

Well there was that one time when dark souls 2 katanas were generally overpowered in PvP and they responded by buffing them

..of this. Whenever I think of katanas in Dark Souls, I think of the myriad of Iron Keep fight clubs plagued by loving katana and Forbidden Sun users.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Lobos is attempting a full run in VR today: https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Not sure how long I can stand watching it for, considering the massive FoV. Of course he might just get motion sick and have to tap out soon anyway.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

BobTheJanitor posted:

Lobos is attempting a full run in VR today: https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Not sure how long I can stand watching it for, considering the massive FoV. Of course he might just get motion sick and have to tap out soon anyway.

Is he head tracking, or is camera still on the stick?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

RBA Starblade posted:

play it safe and work your quick pokes if you have any. fighting polearms is all a timing game so once you have the feel of them down it gets a lot easier. in fact parrying them is kind of goofy because of how the swings go.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

..of this. Whenever I think of katanas in Dark Souls, I think of the myriad of Iron Keep fight clubs plagued by loving katana and Forbidden Sun users.

i miss old forbidden sun and old chaos blade

id love to see ds2 chaos blade in ds3's systems though because i think i'd die of laughter from how horrifically it would outclass everything including all the poo poo that oneshot combos you

where's that one ds2 vid with a literal infant pressing r1 to kill dudes in pvp with the chaos blade
dark sword aint got nothing on the r1 of the gods

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 20, 2016

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So i got my 40 in int with enough stats to swing my dark sword. And im not sure if i should dump the next 20 points into int to hit the cap or if i should invest the next 20 in faith to get some of the utility pyro and miracle skills. Im also not sure if i should do smouldering lake or the boreal valley next. Is smouldering lake completely optional? Is there a huge difference in the way 40 int hits vs 60?

And the 20 or so points is just to make sacred flame work so i can actually live through pvp until i get homing crystals.

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 20, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

Is he head tracking, or is camera still on the stick?

Doing both, apparently. But since the game isn't really built for true head tracking, it's kind of iffy and seems better to just use the normal controller camera to face around. Also locking on really screws with his brain.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Philosopher King posted:

So i got my 40 in int with enough stats to swing my dark sword. And im not sure if i should dump the next 20 points into int to hit the cap or if i should invest the next 20 in faith to get some of the utility pyro and miracle skills. Im also not sure if i should do smouldering lake or the boreal valley next. Is smouldering lake completely optional? Is there a huge difference in the way 40 int hits vs 60?

And the 20 or so points is just to make sacred flame work so i can actually live through pvp until i get homing crystals.

smouldering lake is 100% optional and also not super hard so i like to clear it out earlyish. you can even cheese the boss with a longbow and circle strafe skills.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Philosopher King posted:

think about what you want from miracles. when i thought about it all i could think about was tears of denial and all that needs is 15 faith. for pve all you need is sorcery, pyrohand and dark sorceries. lightning bolts wont help you at all since you can just use the other 3 elements as you wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Vanderdeath posted:

Pfff, Ice Rapier / Dark Fog is where it's at if you want overpowered :c00lbert: