Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've started to grow accustomed to friends/relatives asking for legal advice (which my answer is always go see a lawyer), but how many people have had a friend ask for advice on preparing a will then later that night trying to kill themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've started to grow accustomed to friends/relatives asking for legal advice (which my answer is always go see a lawyer), but how many people have had a friend ask for advice on preparing a will then later that night trying to kill themselves?

That's about a 4/10 on the lawyer "Weird poo poo-o-meter."

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The weirdest part is someone actually trying to get a will.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

JesustheDarkLord posted:

The weirdest part is someone actually trying to get a will.

I asked her why she needed a will, and she said she knows that if she dies the state gets all her stuff. I then explained that was wrong and her stuff would just go to her parents. She hates her mom and immediately said she needed a will to make sure that bitch didn't get anything.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

a friend ask for advice on self defense then later that night killing someone?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I might have an actual sit down establishment this year. I think my JD is still going to be mounted inside the taco truck.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Nice! posted:

I might have an actual sit down establishment this year. I think my JD is still going to be mounted inside the taco truck.

You should change your trucks name to "[taco truck], esq."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Appellate argument. Opponent questioned mercilessly. I spoke for maybe 5 min. No questions. Pretty sure we're good on this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Yesterday I had a mediation near the courthouse and accidentally booked a trial that day. When the mediator left my room, I ran, settled the other case in the courthouse and came back to mediation before the mediator came back. Family law!

This scenario could make for a pretty decent PR bar question.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 13, 2021

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

CaptainScraps posted:

That's about a 4/10 on the lawyer "Weird poo poo-o-meter."

Walk-ins have a baseline of 5/10.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Vox Nihili posted:

This scenario could make for a pretty decent PR bar question.

No double billing, no ex parte communication with client, full disclosure to all parties.

Suck it, grievances.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Better than gorilla family law!

I'm traveling 400 miles today to conduct a 5m hearing over $3.00. State efficiency!

The $3 hearing actually lasted 45m and they awarded $0 to the claimant! I saved my client all their money (excluding my $500 travel bill).

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

calvus posted:

Was he killed because he was a lawyer?

My girlfriend knew the guy and went to school with his son :stare:

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The $3 hearing actually lasted 45m and they awarded $0 to the claimant! I saved my client all their money (excluding my $500 travel bill).

Why not rationalize this as served an essential function of testing points of law of wider application for the entire state, or even the entire country

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Also deterrence. The agency I work for will go to the mat over small beans to let people know that they will. Of course, if people make stupid arguments in cases against it, they and their lawyer get slapped with a fine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Party X - I am sorry your honor, I didnt provide that case.
Judge: Don't worry, party Y did.
Me: :whatup:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

State law requires me to hold the hearing unfortunately. The pinky way around it is if the claimant settles with us first. They didn't. Thus, my useless day.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

ActusRhesus posted:

'sup law goons.

Someone wanna fill me in on the last month?

I discovered that one of my law school classmates knows you. She's a prosecutor in the same state as you. We ran into each other at our law school reunion, she told me where she was working, and then this happened:

"Oh, recently I encountered someone that works there."
"Who?"
"Uh...her name escapes me, she's former JAG-"
"[ActusRhesus] - aggressive, works in appeals, mom's a judge?"
"That's her!"

You are quite well known.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Any recommendations for useful upper year courses beyond the standard "evidence, civil procedure, business associations, income tax" advice we all get? And family law of course, so we can understand our inevitable divorces.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WaveLength posted:

Any recommendations for useful upper year courses beyond the standard "evidence, civil procedure, business associations, income tax" advice we all get? And family law of course, so we can understand our inevitable divorces.

Fed Courts.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

WaveLength posted:

Nope.

fake edit: Take all the clinics you can.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

WaveLength posted:

Take useless blow off classes and focus heavily on networking

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

WaveLength posted:

Admin law, secured transactions, bankruptcy, corporate tax, securities regulation.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

WaveLength posted:

Take a good number of easy classes to inflate your GPA, then get a clerkship.

Assuming that stuff is applicable to your school.

(Also, admin law and corporations/bus rear end are actually vital to understanding the world, so do those for sure.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Oh yeah definitely take admin law.

And any practicals on discovery, if you want to do civil litigation.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I took evidence and feel it was a waste of time, especially for civil work. By the time you get to the point of yelling objection in court, don't think you'll even remember the class

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EwokEntourage posted:

I took evidence and feel it was a waste of time, especially for civil work. By the time you get to the point of yelling objection in court, don't think you'll even remember the class

The point of taking evidence is so no one asks you why you didn't take evidence in interviews.
I took an advanced evidence course that was way more interesting, but I'm also a criminal guy. Focus on crawford and expert stuff.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

nm posted:

The point of taking evidence is so no one asks you why you didn't take evidence in interviews.
I took an advanced evidence course that was way more interesting, but I'm also a criminal guy. Focus on crawford and expert stuff.

Yea I took it because "everyone should take evidence"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Holy poo poo is evidence not a required class? Everyone should take evidence.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Yeah, evidence was a required 2L course for me. Thought it was required everywhere.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

After your normal first year classes, we just have to take general and edited writing class, professional responsibility, and "professional skills" like clinic or some other classes, but evidence isn't one.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I am about to graduate. I did not take evidence

nm
Jan 28, 2008

calvus posted:

I am about to graduate. I did not take evidence

Hope you have a job already.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

In interviews during law school, I usually asked if they, as a practicing lawyer, recommended any classes that they took, or now wish they took, that proved especially helpful. I can tell you as a litigator business organizations, evidence, bankruptcy, and creditors remedies were all super helpful. And as a government litigator, so was admin law.

I didn't take family law but that's actually relatively easy to pick up from bar review/guide books. I think federal courts/advanced civil procedure stuff is super useful in 3L, after you've clerked/interned a bit and have a better concept of how lawsuits actually work.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yeah, evidence was a required 2L course for me. Thought it was required everywhere.

It's definitely not. But it is one of the few courses that actually helped when it came to the bar, and if you're going into litigation it is certainly expected.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Take whatever class teaches you if you can/can't marry your first cousin

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014

nm posted:

Hope you have a job already.

I do have a job I am very happy with. I went all in and specialized in one very particular area and it paid off

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the problem with taking evidence is by the time you get a chance to use it, it's been years and you've forgotten it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

evilweasel posted:

the problem with taking evidence is by the time you get a chance to use it, it's been years and you've forgotten it.

This is true of almost every law school course