Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

Ron Perlman in a role that requires prosthetic muscles?

Never work.

I mean, if we're going to go that route, you really may as well cast a WWE guy and just have Perlman ADR over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/05/20/thor-ragnarok-adds-cate-blanchett-jeff-goldblum-karl-urban-and-m/

Suddenly I'm even more excited for Ragnarok than I thought I could be.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goldblum in a space-based road trip movie between Helmsworth and Ruffalo? So pumped for this.

e: apparently Goldblum is playing Grandmaster, an immortal, timeless elder god who pits powerful beings throughout the universe against each other for fun. Yes. Yes, please.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 20, 2016

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Charles Xavier School recruitment video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0
The phone number is callable. Nothing special, but worth it.

Has Stan Lee been the only person to do cameos? Has Claremont ever showed up in these movies?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

Has Stan Lee been the only person to do cameos? Has Claremont ever showed up in these movies?

Liefeld was in Deadpool.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Brubaker was in Winter Soldier

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just read more about who all the new cast members of Thor: Ragnarok are playing, and according to Slashfilm Cate Blanchette is playing Hela.

According to that Wikipedia entry, Hela is the "Goddess of Death" as appointed by Odin. I'm not the most educated person about all this cosmic/Asgardian comics stuff, but could this be Marvel's way of creating a personification for Death for Thanos to fall in love with without having to pull that out of nowhere in Avengers 3? Folding Death into Hela to make it a little less silly of an idea?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The MSJ posted:

Charles Xavier School recruitment video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kniQrk9jw0

I read the Youtube comments re: Jubilee and they made me sad :(

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Goldblum in a space-based road trip movie between Helmsworth and Ruffalo? So pumped for this.

e: apparently Goldblum is playing Grandmaster, an immortal, timeless elder god who pits powerful beings throughout the universe against each other for fun. Yes. Yes, please.

I thought that the first two Thors were incredibly boring and am kind of tired of the MCU at this point, but between the director and the cast, I am getting unexpectedly excited for Thor 3.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Just read more about who all the new cast members of Thor: Ragnarok are playing, and according to Slashfilm Cate Blanchette is playing Hela.

According to that Wikipedia entry, Hela is the "Goddess of Death" as appointed by Odin. I'm not the most educated person about all this cosmic/Asgardian comics stuff, but could this be Marvel's way of creating a personification for Death for Thanos to fall in love with without having to pull that out of nowhere in Avengers 3? Folding Death into Hela to make it a little less silly of an idea?

That's a good idea. Thor is supposed to go directly into Infinity War, so that's a good connection.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah I think you nailed it. It would work and give Thor/Thanos a bit of a connection.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh hell yeah. In the full Spider-Man: Homecoming rumor, they offer a bit about his costume updates: web wings, aka underarm webbing in the classic Ditko style. :cool:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Holy poo poo. Those casting announcements are incredible.

Jeff Goldblum as an insane trickster god of combat is amazing. I also support anything that gets Karl Urban more mainstream buzz.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

This is the greatest thing I've read all year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, if we're going to go that route, you really may as well cast a WWE guy and just have Perlman ADR over him.

They could do the head replacement thing from Captain America: First Avenger.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Holy poo poo. Those casting announcements are incredible.

Jeff Goldblum as an insane trickster god of combat is amazing. I also support anything that gets Karl Urban more mainstream buzz.

The amazing thing to me is that if the movie has both Skurge and Hela then the chances are good we'll get a film version of one the most moving and badass sequences in Thor's publication history.

And Urban would be able to sell the hell out of it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The amazing thing to me is that if the movie has both Skurge and Hela then the chances are good we'll get a film version of one the most moving and badass sequences in Thor's publication history.

Which sequence is this?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mordiceius posted:

Which sequence is this?

This is the sequence. I guess this could be technically a spoiler if you don't know anything about Skurge, so keep that in mind:

https://momcomics.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/the-mighty-thor-360-362-the-death-of-the-executioner/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Double Agent posted:

This is the sequence. I guess this could be technically a spoiler if you don't know anything about Skurge, so keep that in mind:

https://momcomics.wordpress.com/2013/10/22/the-mighty-thor-360-362-the-death-of-the-executioner/

Holy gently caress.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Urban can definitely pull that sequence off if Waititi decides to include it in the film.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm glad Jeff Goldblum is getting more mainstream blockbuster roles again.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

GoldBLOOM or GoldBLUM

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The only problem with that casting is it dashes my hopes for a Goldblum Riddler.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Uncle Wemus posted:

GoldBLOOM or GoldBLUM

How dare you speak to him! :argh:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I look forward to his trademark speaking style coming from one of the most powerful creatures in the universe.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

This movie sounds so badass :black101: I hope it has a metal soundtrack, it would be fitting considering the characters involved

Double Agent posted:

This sounds awesome and I would be so down to see this on the big screen :black101:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like Jeff Goldblum. Thor 3 wasn't even on my radar until now.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

You guys are idiots if you think this Thor movie is going to somehow adapt stuff from Simonson's run after how utterly dull the previous two have been.

These movies have been pretty lovely romantic comedies with the occasional fight rather than the grandiose, steeped in Norse myth kind of stuff Simonsons' take had. If the Thor movies ever did Thor fighting Jormungandr it'd probably be a bunch of lame one-liners while the movie focuses on Kat Dennings having quirky adventures on Earth.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
One thing that has struck me is even early on the casting was pretty great for the Marvel movies. And now it's even better.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

You guys are idiots if you think this Thor movie is going to somehow adapt stuff from Simonson's run after how utterly dull the previous two have been.

These movies have been pretty lovely romantic comedies with the occasional fight rather than the grandiose, steeped in Norse myth kind of stuff Simonsons' take had. If the Thor movies ever did Thor fighting Jormungandr it'd probably be a bunch of lame one-liners while the movie focuses on Kat Dennings having quirky adventures on Earth.

Thor looks like it's two movies were hit harder by the Perlmutter curse than most of the rest of the series. My understanding is that they were meddling with Branagh and wouldn't even consider any sort of rescheduling to allow him to do Thor 2. Now that they're doing a Ragnarok storyline and bringing in Hulk, it seems like it might be pretty interesting.

Between Thor 3 and Black Panther Marvel seems to be killing it post Perlmutter's control. Obviously they could both turn out to suck, but things are looking good.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Gyges posted:

Thor looks like it's two movies were hit harder by the Perlmutter curse than most of the rest of the series. My understanding is that they were meddling with Branagh and wouldn't even consider any sort of rescheduling to allow him to do Thor 2. Now that they're doing a Ragnarok storyline and bringing in Hulk, it seems like it might be pretty interesting.

Between Thor 3 and Black Panther Marvel seems to be killing it post Perlmutter's control. Obviously they could both turn out to suck, but things are looking good.

Isn't Dr. Strange also post-Perlmutter? I have no hope for that garbage-looking thing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Thor 3 will depend on how much they're tying it in to Infinity War/Thanos. From what it sounds like they're going straight from that movie into Infinity War (with Black Panther as an interlude) so I guess the best case scenario is that the tie-ins flow naturally.

Oh, as a reminder: from July 2017 to July 2018, there will be 5 MCU films released, an average of almost one every 2 months.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie? That is basically a middelfinger to Wagner and I really love that (not to mention that she was great in Dear White People).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings are not in Ragnarok

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bruce Banner/The Hulk is going to be in this. :eyepop:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gyges posted:

Feige has already said that Ragnarok will be set in the Far Realms with barely any Earth scenes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Being from Denmark I much prefer the Thor stories of the last 5 years or so, after they started incorporating much more of the Norse mythology, and cut back on the whole techno viking look, so I don't really care about Simonson that much.

But I also seem to be one of the few people who really liked Thor 2, because of the Thor and Loki dynamic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

One thing that has struck me is even early on the casting was pretty great for the Marvel movies. And now it's even better.

Really, their only genuinely big casting misfires have been Johansson and Taylor-Johnson.

Zack Snyder is similarly great at casting; the only misfit in Watchmen was Malin Akerman.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 21, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I kind of hate that Jeff Bridges was killed one flick in honestly. He would have been an amazing recurring corporate douchebag. Imagine the expotentially higher nerd rage at the Mandarin reveal. "YOU'RE the one behind the Mandarin?!?!!?" "Hey that's just, like, your opinion Tony."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Timby posted:

Really, their only genuinely big casting misfires have been Johansson and Taylor-Johnson.

What didn't you like about Taylor-Johnson? I think his role was too insignificant for me to really judge him as a whole, but he was a fine Quicksilver.

• Locked thread