Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
even if I wanted to tell you, I couldn't until the candidates for my electorate are finalised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Anyone know if the Juche Party is fielding any candidates at this election? I have suddenly come to the realisation that there are people with wrong political opinions.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Negligent posted:

even if I wanted to tell you, I couldn't until the candidates for my electorate are finalised.

Negligent confirmed living in the highly volatile electorate of Fremantle. Who will they pre-select next?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Even before the "debacle" (in the public's eyes) of the Gillard minority government, any major party is always going to be fundamentally uncomfortable about losing seats to a minor party, which compromises their ability to form government in their own right.
on the other hand, the group which half the time runs our country is literally called the Coalition.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

i like men and am gay

Negligent fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 20, 2016

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

it is ok to be gay

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Negligent posted:

we've only had one truly Bad prime minister since I've been alive.

Hawke was fine, Keating was fine. Keating benefited from having a good speechwriter in Don Watson and a sharp wit of his own.

Howard is still thought of as a great PM by tons of people. Really he was pretty poo poo, but still fine, even if socially he wanted to coat the whole place in formaldehyde.

Rudd was fine, Gillard was fine, Rudd moreso than Gillard, because he was a technocrat with popular appeal. Also, stuck to his guns on BOTES and paid the price.

Abbott was a fuckup, but even his own party recognised that.

If by some miracle Shorten gets in, he will probably be fine. He's been training his whole life for this. He's even hosed off the ill fitting suits so he will look like an adult when he goes to meet the Queen and poo poo.

But you know Turnbull, he's the real deal. He is the right man at the perpetually wrong time, which forces him to not be himself, and he is shithouse at the politics part of politics, because he hasn't been doing it since birth high school.

none of this influences my vote in the slightest, because I vote for the person who is best able to represent my electorate in the national parliament.

In a nutshell, in the current circumstances you are saying in your honest opinion that faced with the two options: Bill Shorten is better than a Malcolm Turnbull forced to be someone he is not.

Okay then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Turnbull wins the next election, has a mandate, tells the reactionary wing of the party to gently caress off, is best prime minister since Whitlam

Shorten loses, is immediately replaced, new leader vows never to release any policies ever

quote this on july 3

also: any kind of Turnbull is preferable to BS

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

how does it feel to be so far off the zeitgeist you could be a nationals mp

like seriously that poo poo was on reddit ages ago

reddit

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

good evening gentlemen

have you seen the new episode of shaun micallef "mad as hell"

in which, bill shorten gives some famous "zingers"

it was quite amusing

(c) abc 2014

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
So there's just been an earthquake between 5.9 and 6.2 near Alice Springs, that's the largest one I can remember happening in my life time for continental Australia.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

For about 3 years, only 1/3 of Happy Valley Drive has had the new street lights promised for the whole length, the rest languishing as Federal funding disappeared. Just 6 weeks ago, crews finally started erecting the first dozen light poles, with many more to come, though they remain unconnected.

This week they're being used to hold party advertising boards, before they've ever been turned on. That's my election story.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Isn't central Australia supposed to be one of the most tectonically inactive areas on the planet?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah that's why it was going to be a swell idea to dump nuclear waste there.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Granite Octopus posted:

Yeah that's why it was going to be a swell idea to dump nuclear waste there.

that and the fact that only indigenous people would be upset.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Just dump the waste into the void inside Negligent's head.

Dan
Nov 26, 2002

Victim of reality

Negligent posted:

Turnbull wins the next election, has a mandate, tells the reactionary wing of the party to gently caress off, is best prime minister since Whitlam

Recongising that this is probably just more trolling, but mandate: I don't think that word means what you think it means. If Turnbull wins, the only mandate he'll have is to implement the policies he's taken to the election; which are all the ones designed and supported by said reactionaries.

In reality, the only way Turnbull could do anything 'best prime minister' worthy, should he win the election, would be without a mandate to do those any things. ie: delusional.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Just dump the waste into the void inside Negligent's head.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

Zenithe posted:

Isn't central Australia supposed to be one of the most tectonically inactive areas on the planet?

Central Australia is actually the most earthquake prone part of Australia, with a 6.6 on 22 January 1988. There was also a 5.8 at Marryat Creek a few years earlier. (Newcastle was a 5.6). I bet right now there's a bunch of helicopter charters being made for geologists to go out trying to see if they get more huge cracks appearing from this one.

There is lots of talk about the ground cracks and deformities that appear after these types of earthquakes, and investigations into rock structures that show a long history of this occuring, There doesn't seem to be any explanation as to why Central Australia keeps getting these, though.

Map of Earthquake Hazards in Australia

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

on the other hand, the group which half the time runs our country is literally called the Coalition.

Yeah but that one's been around for nearly a hundred years. There's a difference between being part of a coalition stretching back to time immemorial, and being a party which has always been able to win government by itself suddenly watching its safe seats get captured.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

evilbastard posted:

Central Australia is actually the most earthquake prone part of Australia, with a 6.6 on 22 January 1988. There was also a 5.8 at Marryat Creek a few years earlier. (Newcastle was a 5.6). I bet right now there's a bunch of helicopter charters being made for geologists to go out trying to see if they get more huge cracks appearing from this one.

There is lots of talk about the ground cracks and deformities that appear after these types of earthquakes, and investigations into rock structures that show a long history of this occuring, There doesn't seem to be any explanation as to why Central Australia keeps getting these, though.

Map of Earthquake Hazards in Australia

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/sot.aspx

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So a majority of polls are now predicting a hung parliament if plugged into the ABC's election calculator.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Also lol Dutton
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-21/responses-to-peter-duttons-comments-on-refugees/7431408

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Applying uniform national swings for predicting individual seats is super useful

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Most of the polls coming out have respondent allocated preferences which is somewhat more useful.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
as an employer i'm literally too stupid to understand the inherent contradiction of dutton's comments

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Dutton's First Axiom of Economic Growth: More people means less jobs, thus less people means a larger economy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If immigrants take Australian jobs, then why don't young people coming out of school/university also take jobs?

STOP THE SCHOOLS.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-21/responses-to-peter-duttons-comments-on-refugees/743140

"My parents were from overseas they came here with nothing to give us a good life here, and if someone's going to come and take our work, our job, then it's not worth it."

By your logic your parents stole someone else's job, you hypocritical FYGM.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/adamzwar/status/733160012176990208

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-21/responses-to-peter-duttons-comments-on-refugees/743140

"My parents were from overseas they came here with nothing to give us a good life here, and if someone's going to come and take our work, our job, then it's not worth it."

By your logic your parents stole someone else's job, you hypocritical FYGM.

Based on this poll, 2pp is 100% Labor

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So the NBN staffer is the head of their security who was brought in in November to STOP THE LEAKS. The Leaks continued and got worse.

He's an ex-cop(!) whose family in WA are members of the LNP (allegedly). Was the board on that CC list he emailed of the documents he sent to (would have to be) senior management at NBN Co?

He has ONE JOB that night - verify documents were from the NBN. He failed in doing that job as well.

I wonder if he's ever played the latest Deus Ex - maybe he's creating a role for the sequel.

Late edit- Government Minister knew

quote:

Communications Minister Mitch Fifield knew NBN Co had referred alleged document leaks to the Australian Federal Police but did not tell the prime minister.

Senator Fifield on Saturday confirmed he had been advised by NBN Co on the matter but insists he did not pass the information on to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull or any other ministers.

Who I might add, include another minister on the same board of directors.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 21, 2016

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Oh yeah, one of my friends felt that quake in the APY lands so it must have rattled a pretty large area. I remember reading a report that suggested that Adelaide has a similar earthquake risk as Christchurch and then a couple of days later I read a newspaper article that casually mentioned that an elevated roadway there wasn't built with earthquake reinforcements.

Despite what people say about Australia being tectonically inactive, there'll probably be an earthquake in Aus at some point that racks up a bit of a body count, maybe in Newcastle or Adelaide. Probably Adelaide, since historically the epicentre of earthquakes (like the 1954 one) has been less than 10km from the CBD.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

NTRabbit posted:

For about 3 years, only 1/3 of Happy Valley Drive has had the new street lights promised for the whole length, the rest languishing as Federal funding disappeared. Just 6 weeks ago, crews finally started erecting the first dozen light poles, with many more to come, though they remain unconnected.

This week they're being used to hold party advertising boards, before they've ever been turned on. That's my election story.

When I was in the Philippines visiting my partner's family's home province there was this new flash 4 lane bridge that was wasn't complete because the government didn't actually buy the stores on one side where the bridge connects to land. There were, however, the political signs lining the whole loving thing for the family responsible for the incomplete bridge.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Comstar posted:

So the NBN staffer is the head of their security who was brought in in November to STOP THE LEAKS. The Leaks continued and got worse.

He's an ex-cop(!) whose family in WA are members of the LNP (allegedly). Was the board on that CC list he emailed of the documents he sent to (would have to be) senior management at NBN Co?

He has ONE JOB that night - verify documents were from the NBN. He failed in doing that job as well.

I wonder if he's ever played the latest Deus Ex - maybe he's creating a role for the sequel.

Late edit- Government Minister knew

Who I might add, include another minister on the same board of directors.

Adam Jensen posted:

This island? The one where the whistleblowers' signal came from? It's got Border Force signs all over it! I think it's some kind of internment camp.

Bill Morrow posted:

Border Force? That's impossible! Half our contracts are government issue

The future is now.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 21, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Found on the Loon Pond blog bwahahaa

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

ewe2 posted:

Found on the Loon Pond blog bwahahaa

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2016/05/20/slow-internet-forces-afp-collect-nbn-documents-person posted:

The Australian Federal Police have executed two searches on ALP electoral offices over leaks relating to the National Broadband Network, with slow upload speeds allegedly forcing the officers to have to collect documents in person.

While reports are still trickling in this morning, the AFP have claimed that the raids were in relation to the leaking of documents related to the underperformance of the NBN rollout - and while they would have loved to avoid a raid entirely, it was simply taking to long to sit around and wait for the files to upload.

“This is of course a last resort,” said one officer. “We do not take to invading the offices of a politician during an election campaign lightly. It’s just - christ these things take a long time to download. It’s really, very slow.

“We are just trying to get to the bottom of our investigation. It’s a long process. We need to know who revealed that the internet in Australia was really, disappointingly slow. We’ve reduced our list of suspects to ‘anyone who has ever used it’.

The AFP are denying the raids are politically motivated saying that such a suggestion is ludicrous.

“It really is pretty basic to believe these raids would be politically motivated. Like, really, think about the Government plotting to have a massive scandalous news stories centred entirely around one of their largest failures and policy disappointments. That’s more of a Labor move, anyway.

“This was just another routine run-of-the-mill police raid of a federal politicians office just to keep the fear alive, you know? Just to keep them on their toes. Heck - if this brings NBN policy back to the forefront of the election, so be it! At least we’ll be able to torrent Game of Thrones a little faster.”

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Comstar posted:

how are they loving this up so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

BBJoey posted:

how are they loving this up so bad

What do we expect? What do we REALLY expect?

• Locked thread