Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Spending a week driving around while I wait for my radiator has been miserable. Every time this happens I'm reminded how much more I like riding than driving. Once you've started riding, driving a car feels like having sex with a condom on; you don't feel anything. :sigh:

I've been without bike for 2 weeks now and it's miserable :(

New engine should be in next Wednesday, and the bike hopefully done by the following Saturday and I can get it after work. I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Spending a week driving around while I wait for my radiator has been miserable. Every time this happens I'm reminded how much more I like riding than driving. Once you've started riding, driving a car feels like having sex with a condom on; you don't feel anything. :sigh:

Let me tell you about commuting in a Prius. It's like listening to people have boring sex 2 floors above you while you sort your magic card collection.
I actually rode to work today, since it's a holiday weekend and the traffic should be nice and light tomorrow morning, which after a 12.5 hour night shift shouldn't kill me. Unlike the ride in, where I only had one douchebag try to kill me for filtering past him (which is technically not allowed here (vehicular homicide is technically not allowed either, but it doesn't stop some folks from trying), but anyway, gently caress that guy). Anyway my commute is awful and my hours are awful and as much as I like riding I don't want to ruin it by forcing such awfulness on such a beautiful thing, so normally I sit in traffic in my Prius, metaphorically sorting my magic cards while listening to vague muffled grunting coming from somewhere above me.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Linedance posted:

Let me tell you about commuting in a Prius. It's like listening to people have boring sex 2 floors above you while you sort your magic card collection.
I actually rode to work today, since it's a holiday weekend and the traffic should be nice and light tomorrow morning, which after a 12.5 hour night shift shouldn't kill me. Unlike the ride in, where I only had one douchebag try to kill me for filtering past him (which is technically not allowed here (vehicular homicide is technically not allowed either, but it doesn't stop some folks from trying), but anyway, gently caress that guy). Anyway my commute is awful and my hours are awful and as much as I like riding I don't want to ruin it by forcing such awfulness on such a beautiful thing, so normally I sit in traffic in my Prius, metaphorically sorting my magic cards while listening to vague muffled grunting coming from somewhere above me.

In this analogy anything I say about my commute would make me the smug sex-haver who won't shut up about all the sex he's having, which is ironic considering that in literal sex terms I don't even have a magic card collection to sort.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Razzled posted:

What's wrong with wanting your bike to look cool again?

Vanity is automotive anything's #1 MO

Vanity is its own fault, however big or small. But to be vain and deny it however, is to s*DROWNED OUT BY UNMUFFLED GIXXER 600 PASSING*fe itself.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, I got that one. But I remember someone reworked it to have the guy wearing a helmet and some of the text was changed to ATTGATT and CA etc.

edit: Here it is.

I've got that on my helmet. No one's ever cared.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The neighbors across the alley have a garage full of ratty dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. They bring them out on a nice day and just sit there, blipping the throttle. For like a solid hour. I'll record that poo poo one day.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Ola posted:

Vanity is its own fault, however big or small. But to be vain and deny it however, is to s*DROWNED OUT BY UNMUFFLED GIXXER 600 PASSING*fe itself.

Sorry that was me, I moved to Australia

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PaintVagrant posted:

Sorry that was me, I moved to Australia

Australia isn't in Europe.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Chichevache posted:

Australia isn't in Europe.

:aaaaa:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Ola posted:

Vanity is only a fault if you're some kind of bible humping sheep fucker

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

Putting a whole new meaning into tending your flock.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Chichevache posted:

Putting a whole new meaning into tending your flock.

Pretty sure that's been the meaning for awhile now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Day Man posted:

Pretty sure that's been the meaning for awhile now.

I wouldn't know, I never went to Sunday school.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Chichevache posted:

I wouldn't know, I never went to Sunday school.

Generally, you learn that lesson during office hours or while helping set up the alter or something, not usually right there in Sunday school.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

Do you hump the bible before or after the sheep?

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
You don't have bibles in NZ?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The bibles are with the snakes.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

You don't have bibles in NZ?

it's why they had to settle for sheep

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm headed to Sausalito, CA / Mill Valley, CA for a week on Monday. Any good places to eat around that area? poo poo to see at night? Places to get shitfaced (this is most important)?
Work trip so no bieks. :(

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, I got that one. But I remember someone reworked it to have the guy wearing a helmet and some of the text was changed to ATTGATT and CA etc.

edit: Here it is.

We could use redbubble or something.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 21, 2016

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Summer plan.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Employment blows. :smith:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Awesome! Some of my extended family live in bergen. :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cool! You should come over and visit them some time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

So envious.

But regardless of not being able to bring the bike, you've made me want to go to Norway anyway, and flights are cheap as chips. Any leads on particular things to see/places to stay that won't break the bank? I figure the hiking must be nice, but trying to search for that stuff from an outsider perspective is just getting me a ton of bourgie package deals

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Hey Ola, can you tell my why Norway has both a Kristiansand and a Kristiansund? Thanks.

Renaissance Robot posted:

So envious.

But regardless of not being able to bring the bike, you've made me want to go to Norway anyway, and flights are cheap as chips. Any leads on particular things to see/places to stay that won't break the bank? I figure the hiking must be nice, but trying to search for that stuff from an outsider perspective is just getting me a ton of bourgie package deals

Won't break the bank? Don't eat or drink. And bring a tent. (It's bourgeois btw)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KARMA! posted:

(It's bourgeois btw)

Only when I'm being serious. If I should ever unironically use "bourgeois" as a synonym for "expensive", may the ghost of Marx rise up and deck me in the face.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So envious.

Oh yeah, the hiking is indeed very nice! Getting a bike over from the UK is a real pain without the Newcastle ferry.

This is a good place to start: https://english.dnt.no/ You pay for a membership in the trekking association, then get discounts on mountain cabins, tourist hotels and camp sites. The membership might be worth it or not, depending on your plans. You can do multi-day hikes from cabin to cabin, do daytrips out of a tourist hotel and more. Getting around by public transport can be a bit of a pain since the best places are way out in the sticks, but the most popular destinations will have ok options.

Some hiking classics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolltunga

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preikestolen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Besseggen

To get most bang for buck, I suppose you'd do as much as possible near the place you fly to, then travel to an area where you could do one or two spectacular trips. Being able to eat store bought food helps, but that depends on where and how long you're staying. For a month long trip it's a huge difference, but if you're in a tourist hotel in the mountains for just a couple of days, there aren't any stores anyway and eating in the (non-bourgie) restaurant is part of the experience. The drink budget will limit itself, after a long day in the mountain you'll fall asleep after two beers.

A popular organised trip is this: https://www.norwaynutshell.com/ Loads of students go on it so I think it's good value. A boat trip from those guys, two days in the Trolltunga area and some daytrips around Bergen should be a pretty nice hiking holiday! I'd be happy to help you plan this in detail.

KARMA! posted:

Hey Ola, can you tell my why Norway has both a Kristiansand and a Kristiansund? Thanks.

They're both founded by a king called Kristian IV, one is a bit sandy, the other is a bit sund-y ("sund" is a strait or a sound). This has caused no end of hilarious confusion over the years, so the names are often written Kristiansand S and Kristiansund N (for north and south).

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Ola posted:

Summer plan.

This is incredible. I thought I had problems with water making my windows dirty.....

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Note to self: check various points In between your start and end points for their weather too... Really could have done with a different jacket for this trip.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Two weeks from tomorrow I should be somewhere between Chilliwack and Prince George on this trip

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

clutchpuck posted:

Two weeks from tomorrow I should be somewhere between Chilliwack and Prince George on this trip

See you up there, we're leaving June 3rd. Look for a pair of riders, Honda 599 and KTM 990.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Epic! Have a great trip!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Skier posted:

See you up there, we're leaving June 3rd. Look for a pair of riders, Honda 599 and KTM 990.

I'm staying in Chilliwack June 3rd, hoping to get to Prince George on the 4th.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

You guys are making me want to get a sport tourer and go touring and stuff :/

Are there even any similar rides in Australia/Sydney region? All the roads up/down the coast are pretty tame.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Barnsy posted:

You guys are making me want to get a sport tourer and go touring and stuff :/

Are there even any similar rides in Australia/Sydney region? All the roads up/down the coast are pretty tame.

Southern highlands -> vic border -> alpine highway

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

So envious.

Why not take the bike? Fairly sure there's a direct ferry from somewhere in the Northern Wastelands.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ola posted:

They're both founded by a king called Kristian IV, one is a bit sandy, the other is a bit sund-y ("sund" is a strait or a sound). This has caused no end of hilarious confusion over the years, so the names are often written Kristiansand S and Kristiansund N (for north and south).

Ha, that's amazing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why not take the bike? Fairly sure there's a direct ferry from somewhere in the Northern Wastelands.

They've been shutting down one by one over the last five years, the last one died in September. Almost like we're in a recession or something.

But that can't be right because Gideon says everything's A-okay! :shepicide:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

They've been shutting down one by one over the last five years, the last one died in September. Almost like we're in a recession or something.

But that can't be right because Gideon says everything's A-okay! :shepicide:

There is a possibility my knowledge of European geography is primarily based on Euro Truck Simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The only ferry from Norway to England is the few cabins for non-trailer people on dfds trailer ferry that leaves from near Porsgrunn on the south eastern part of Norway to immingham, 6 cabins only, needs to be booked months in advance. 28 hours(!) travel time. All booking by phone.