Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't really understand the need to print stuff anyway. I probably print less than 10 pages a month and half of that is because the ultra-modern process of completing expenses claims online hasn't yet reached us, so printed receipts and a signed Excel sheet it is!

Printing in healthcare IT is a mixed bag. Some of it is out of necessity and some is just mind-bogglingly wasteful. At some point your patient is going to leave and you'll need to hand them a 10+ page discharge packet with contact info, care instructions, follow-up appointments, etc. Patient portals are great for some of that stuff but it assumes a certain level of understanding and access to technology that is unfortunately not ubiquitous.

If you're printing off Excel spreadsheets to show to Janice in Accounting who, like you, has a computer and an email address, then you are literally the worst person.

I work with people every day whose preferred workflow for "send me a screenshot" involves hitting print screen, paste to Paint, print to paper (in grayscale of course, ink doesn't grow on trees), scan it to their email address as a PDF or JPEG, then email it to me.

e:
And on a similar note, Quest Diagnostics, a not-at-all-small national lab chain, recently had trouble processing my claim with Cigna, a not-at-all-small global insurance provider, because they were mailing the claim forms to the wrong address.

Mailing. paper forms. wrong address. TYOOL 20 loving 16.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Arsten posted:

Doctors? Every sales person, administrative assistant above the plebeian level, and manager have all wanted that.
I always find the worst to be the assistant of a powerful person. The CEO's secretary, the VP's assistant, that kind of thing. What really stands out is when I was in the military - a Senior Airman (this is roughly a 21 year old high school graduate) who worked for a Colonel (a middle aged person with a masters degree), would often confuse themselves for the Colonel. I am still both traumatized and amused by the Senior Airman who told me that if I didn't finish an outprocessing sheet which was proving impossible to complete (because so many people were deployed I couldn't even find people for certain tasks), that they wouldn't clear me to discharge and leave the military. Yeah, I'm not sure that's a power we delegate to 21 year olds, I'm peace-ing out in a week whether this thing is done or not.

This happened 9 years ago and I don't think I've gone more than 3 months without thinking of it since. Traumatized me.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Cenodoxus posted:

Printing in healthcare IT is a mixed bag. Some of it is out of necessity and some is just mind-bogglingly wasteful.

How about having a department print result reports from a local RIS system, scanning them into another EHR, then faxing out of that EHR to a PCP who is receiving the fax and rescanning the document to import into their EHR. You, being the FOIP guy, get a call from the PCP liaisons, that the reports are completely illegible and it's going to affect patient referrals. :suicide:

Most of the systems involved will interface over HL7....but no one wants to spend the money or time to do so.

That's my battle for Monday.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I always find the worst to be the assistant of a powerful person. The CEO's secretary, the VP's assistant, that kind of thing. What really stands out is when I was in the military - a Senior Airman (this is roughly a 21 year old high school graduate) who worked for a Colonel (a middle aged person with a masters degree), would often confuse themselves for the Colonel. I am still both traumatized and amused by the Senior Airman who told me that if I didn't finish an outprocessing sheet which was proving impossible to complete (because so many people were deployed I couldn't even find people for certain tasks), that they wouldn't clear me to discharge and leave the military. Yeah, I'm not sure that's a power we delegate to 21 year olds, I'm peace-ing out in a week whether this thing is done or not.

This happened 9 years ago and I don't think I've gone more than 3 months without thinking of it since. Traumatized me.

You should get a DD214 blanket

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

While those people are bad, i respectfully disagree. The worst are those that are insecure in any position. They constantly harass you for any reason that they can find.

One person I briefly worked with was a financial analyst brought on for some extremely large project because it was running wayyyyy over budget. The position was advertised as permanent (For some reason) but after that project the company had literally nothing for them to do. They started reviewing all projects in every department trying to justify their existence. And, of course, making crazy demands to prove that they wielded power. This particular one decided to demand an office that was closer to the lunch room so that they could "oversee" lunchroom conversations. When they were told "No, that office is reserved." they went ballistic and emailed the manager list saying how that office rightfully belonged to them because "lunchroom chatter was out of control."

The backstory on that office was it was a disorganized hole in the wall that the FMLA-ed Managing Partner used when he was working. But he came down with leukemia at 51 years old and was out getting chemo'd for about six months at that point. His silent partner was holding down the fort but was bad at finance (he was a retired engineer from one of the companies that worked with NASA) which is why he hired the analyst.

Within an hour of sending out the email, the MP was into the office. The manager email list was setup to keep him apprised of emergency situations and he was feeling good that day (he looked terrible) so he decided to jump in and find out what was going on. He called me into his office and asked about the email (which I didn't know about as I wasn't part of the manager email list) and I explained the situation to him as I knew it: She was a busy body being annoying to staff who were bullshitting around the coffee pot. As far as my guys were concerned, they were completing their tasks.

He called the analyst into his office and the analyst walked out two hours later as white as a sheet and packed up their things and left. The next day, the silent partner sent out the email saying the analyst was no longer with the company.

To this day I still wonder what he told that analyst.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Alchenar posted:

It's knowing that if you suggest Friday after-work drinks as a team-bonding event then the Muslim co-worker is going to feel incredibly excluded.

Muslims, Mormons, other devout Christians, pregnant women, alcoholics, and people on diets. Always have non-alcoholic options!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

You should get a DD214 blanket

Sweet jesus you can send them a copy of your DD214. Post-OPM breaches or not that is horrifying.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Muslims, Mormons, other devout Christians, pregnant women, alcoholics, and people on diets. Always have non-alcoholic options!
Kara Sowles wrote a good piece for Model View Culture a couple years ago about how exactly to do this, because it comes up all the time at tech events:

https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/alcohol-and-inclusivity-planning-tech-events-with-non-alcoholic-options

The bottom line is that your non-alcoholic options should not consist of Coke and Diet Coke.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Also, if you plan a happy hour, do it at a place that serves free chips and salsa or cheap appetizers. Don't plan it at larry's pub that has a menu of booze and pretzels.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the general thread's success with applying for positions that show Degree Required? Granted, I'm in a comfortable spot right now without a degree but if things were to change the future seems a little... :tinfoil:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

What's the general thread's success with applying for positions that show Degree Required? Granted, I'm in a comfortable spot right now without a degree but if things were to change the future seems a little... :tinfoil:

Never don't apply. The degree "requirement" is just one more thing on an employer's wish list. No one matches 100% of the requirements. Granted, degrees are unique because some firms might autoreject based on that, but you lose nothing but the time it took to submit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Never don't apply. The degree "requirement" is just one more thing on an employer's wish list. No one matches 100% of the requirements. Granted, degrees are unique because some firms might autoreject based on that, but you lose nothing but the time it took to submit.

I'm also of the belief of apply as you've got nothing to lose but I'm more interested is the actual success rate.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

I'm also of the belief of apply as you've got nothing to lose but I'm more interested is the actual success rate.

Ah. Well I can't speak from experience then. I'd guess rather less than not meeting, say, X years of experience with Y, but maybe someone's gotten over that HR wall here.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

But don't you know, if you apply without matching ALL the requirements you'll get BLACKLISTED! :aaa:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Tab8715 posted:

My current gig required a PHD (which I don't have). My current manager explained that they want people with ambition and the degree requirement filters the less ambitious ones.

Always apply if you want the job. Worst case is you won't get it, just as you would have if you didn't apply.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LochNessMonster posted:

My current gig required a PHD (which I don't have). My current manager explained that they want people with ambition and the degree requirement filters the less ambitious ones.

Always apply if you want the job. Worst case is you won't get it, just as you would have if you didn't apply.

Getting a PhD is one of the least ambitious things an incredibly smart person can do.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Tab8715 posted:

Last year I applied for some government jobs that required an MBA or way too many years of experience, and the HR lady rejected them immediately. But that's government.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Alchenar posted:

Getting a PhD is one of the least ambitious things an incredibly smart person can do.

That's not quite what I meant. The requirements for the position are listed a lot higher than what they are looking for. People who think a lack of degree will make applying useless aren't ambitious enough and are therfor filtered out of the job applicants by themselves.

Basically they list 1 degree higher than what they are looking for and if that stops people from applying, those aren't the people they're looking for.

Completely agree with you on thr PhD part.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Degree requirements are usually a really lazy and terrible way for HR to filter applicants. Outside of the rather limited scope of their degree field it means nothing yet people act like it's a goddamned RPG and magically grants +4 to intelligence and willpower.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

LochNessMonster posted:

I too intentionally write job descriptions that disproportionately discourage women from applying

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

I too intentionally write job descriptions that disproportionately discourage women from applying
Not everyone does, but obviously there are a lot of hiring managers that just throw their dream list at the wall to see what sticks, listing wants as requirements.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Vulture Culture posted:

Well, this is the working in IT thread...

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

SaltLick posted:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CANT HAVE A PRINTER WITHIN CHAIR SWIVEL DISTANCE I HAVE TO WALK 5 FT?! :psyboom:

If I were an enterprising individual, I would create a roaming printer robot on wheels which comes to you to deliver print jobs. It would also change it's own toner, replace it's own parts, organise it's own paper trays, tell you how awesome you're doing today, cure cancer, and harvest He3 from Jupiter.

For real though a roaming Tea making robot would be boss.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No, you install a pneumatic tube system in the building, then have centrally placed printers that deliver jobs rolled up in tubes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nielsm posted:

No, you install a pneumatic tube system in the building, then have centrally placed printers that deliver jobs rolled up in tubes.

Then get users complaining about head trauma, if they survive, because they upped the pipe pressure and angled the tube at either their desk or themselves to get their print job ASAP.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

nielsm posted:

The network is the printer.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Super Slash posted:

If I were an enterprising individual, I would create a roaming printer robot on wheels which comes to you to deliver print jobs.

Interns are cheaper. I recall an article where some company like Fuji-Xerox actually has built one of these but are not commercializing it. Similarly,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1D07dTILH0

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 23, 2016

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Then get users complaining about head trauma, if they survive, because they upped the pipe pressure and angled the tube at either their desk or themselves to get their print job ASAP.

Working as intended. :colbert:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Colonial Air Force posted:

Or just answer "My Butt" to everything.

A case where Cloud to Butt makes a statement more accurate.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

whaam posted:

I'm hoping to keep my role as the most knowledgable technical guy on the team, while still managing our time. Not sure how realistic that is but the technical is what makes me love this job. With their help I think its possible to both and have them handle most of the day to day while still having them investigate and discover new technologies and processes on their own. Might be a pipe dream.

Maybe I've just been unlucky with bad bosses, but I'd be careful with this. At the team lead level it's desirable since you're still an individual contributor. But once you move into actual people management, this can get ugly fast. I've worked for several people who did not have the time to stay current and deeply technical (nor was it really even their job to), but acted like they did. They knew just enough to be dangerous, and would weigh in with bad decisions based on outdated or half-baked knowledge. I'm not talking about missing the newest Docker release. I mean saying poo poo in 2012 like "SANs are inherently unreliable, we can't use them to back our VMware cluster. Everything has to run on local storage. And we can just use cheap white box servers. That's what Google does." :psyduck: I mean... kind of? But the impact to Google when a couple of their 50,000 servers die is a little different than one of our 4 ESXi hosts (which don't have enough spare capacity to withstand a host failure) going away. Nor can all those VM's we just lost be restarted by HA since they were all on local storage. No part of this design actually increases availability.

Meanwhile, the time he spent skimming HighScalability.com or whatever meant he didn't have bandwidth to do his actual job doing things like... being a manger. So RIP critical tasks like one-on-ones.

Basically, once you become a manager, focus on hiring good people you trust, and let them do their drat jobs. You don't have time to be a 10th Level Neckbeard Wizard anymore, and that's not what the company is paying you for. So knock it off. You're basically in a new career.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
First (only?) interview with the networking team here went pretty well. :yotj: Basically zero technical questions though, which was kind of weird. I guess it is somewhat entry-level for the field.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
To be fair SANs are awful.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Actual conversation two weeks ago with the owner of a smallish business (who is a friend I'm pinch-hitting for after his old IT guy died):
"Can't we just get some of that sand storage?"
"....Sand storage?"
"Yeah, where we use lasers to store data on sand?"
"No such thing is commercially available. If you give me an unlimited budget, i can probably build it for you, though."
"No, it's right here..." *hands over magazine with full-page ad for Dell Storage SANs*
"So, uh, where are the lasers in this ad?"
"Oh, you can't see them because of the cases."
"Ah.....hah. Tell you what, give me <money> dollars and I'll get you good storage, but.....you can never look at the lasers or the sand or you'll destroy it."
"Oh....is it that fragile?"
This morning's phone call with Brand New IT Guy:
"Uh, hey. Why did my boss just wheel a box into my office and tell me to hook it up but to be careful not to look at the lasers or let the sand out?"
"Because it stores data on sand. With lasers."
".....I'm just going to install this."
"Have fun!"

I still don't know where he got the idea that sand is a suitable storage medium. Or that lasers make it work, somehow..... But I kind of want it. SD cards the size of sand grains! :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arsten posted:

Actual conversation two weeks ago with the owner of a smallish business (who is a friend I'm pinch-hitting for after his old IT guy died):
"Can't we just get some of that sand storage?"
"....Sand storage?"
"Yeah, where we use lasers to store data on sand?"
"No such thing is commercially available. If you give me an unlimited budget, i can probably build it for you, though."
"No, it's right here..." *hands over magazine with full-page ad for Dell Storage SANs*
"So, uh, where are the lasers in this ad?"
"Oh, you can't see them because of the cases."
"Ah.....hah. Tell you what, give me <money> dollars and I'll get you good storage, but.....you can never look at the lasers or the sand or you'll destroy it."
"Oh....is it that fragile?"
This morning's phone call with Brand New IT Guy:
"Uh, hey. Why did my boss just wheel a box into my office and tell me to hook it up but to be careful not to look at the lasers or let the sand out?"
"Because it stores data on sand. With lasers."
".....I'm just going to install this."
"Have fun!"

I still don't know where he got the idea that sand is a suitable storage medium. Or that lasers make it work, somehow..... But I kind of want it. SD cards the size of sand grains! :v:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/the-2000-cd-made-from-glass-1/

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

H110Hawk posted:

All technology is awful.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

H110Hawk posted:

What is awful about a san?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

The transparent medium is not where data is stored on an optical disc. :ssh:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Arsten posted:

:words:

Are we sure it was natural?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Arsten posted:

The transparent medium is not where data is stored on an optical disc. :ssh:

Well not without the proper license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

What is awful about a san?
I can buy a 6tb external for like $160 from Costco any day of the week, what's EMC trying to pull?